US Chart Talk: 10/17/09

thebigham

Guest Danny86

She won't get lazy, because her tours are built around new music. She doesn't just throw out a CD there, she performs her songs night after night for like a year, so I really don't see her changing this.

However, I'm pretty sure all the promo will be focused on her tours and maybe 1 single will be pushed to hit status by the label. But, now in Europe as well some radio stations started to abandon Madonna so she might not be able to get a current hit as we know (HU or 4M levels), but that won't change the fact that half of her show will be new music.

I hope Madonna doesn't get too lazy with her next album in spite of declining CD sales. It's nice to have current hits in her show, unless she just wants to put on a nostalgia tour.

We all know she prefers performing new songs during her tours so I'm sure she'll continue doing new music even just for that reason.

Guest boytoyville

Sales are so sad these days. Not many albums over 1 million. Looks like Babs could have another gold record on her hands though. Good for her!

Gold is the new double platinum. :lol:

I really am amazed by Pitbull also. Yeah I know he is more of a singles act but two huge hit singles and the album is down in the 70s already!?

Sales shouldn't be shocking... CDs aren't easy to find anymore and when you're in a place that has them (like Best Buy) there's no one browsing CDs.

Even their DVD section is getting smaller and smaller. :dramatic: I have to go to Suncoast now if I am looking for something rare. Lord knows how long that place is going to be in business for.

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10(ISH) CHART PREVIEW: Here’s the prospective leader board for next Tuesday—minus the X-factor, Michael Buble, whose new LP comes out today in conjunction with his Oprah appearance. Next week’s double-dippers appear at this point to be Hollywood and Jive/JLG; otherwise, things are spread out pretty evenly.

* Kiss (Kiss) 150-160k

* Toby Keith (Showdog) 80-90k

Barbra Streisand (Columbia) 65-70k

Jay-Z (Roc Nation/Atlantic) 55-60k

Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ) 55-60k

* Luke Bryan (Capitol Nashville) 40-45k

Paramore (Fueled by Ramen) 40-45k

Miley Cyrus (Hollywood) 40-45k

* Backstreet Boys (Jive/JLG) 40-45k

Breaking Benjamin (Hollywood) 40-45k

* Relient K (Jive/JLG) 40-45k

Pearl Jam (Monkeywrench) 35-40k

Alice in Chains (Virgin) 35-40k

* Denotes debut

We’ll give you a preliminary idea how Buble fits into this picture later today. (10/9a)

they should change the rules again: 2.000.000 for the platinum single, and 500.000 for the platinum album

They really should. A platinum album has become the new diamond. :lmao:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10(ISH) CHART PREVIEW:

Ouch! From 168k to less than 60k!! We're looking at over 65% drop. Will this album even make 400k at the end of it's run?

they should change the rules again: 2.000.000 for the platinum single, and 500.000 for the platinum album

Maybe for singles but not for albums really. Mimi and her record company(s) will be the first to re-certify her and then she will claim to have the most platinum albums. You just know she's gonna do that.

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10(ISH) CHART PREVIEW: Here's the prospective leader board for next Tuesday—minus the X-factor, Michael Buble, whose new LP comes out today in conjunction with his Oprah appearance. Next week's double-dippers appear at this point to be Hollywood and Jive/JLG; otherwise, things are spread out pretty evenly.

* Kiss (Kiss) 150-160k

* Denotes debut

We'll give you a preliminary idea how Buble fits into this picture later today. (10/9a)

GOOD GOD..Where is Madonna? Did she drowned or something?

Guest Danny86

Wow I'm really shocked at the numbers for Sean Kingston and Jordin Sparks. 'Fire Burning' and 'Battlefield' have been inescapable this past summer, and that's the amount of records they've sold??

Well, I know "Battlefield" single did well in downloads, people just preferred to get that. It's just 90% of the artists don't have any shelf life these days and there's no more "anyone can sell 500,000" like 10 years ago.

I believe they only predict the top 10 and the new debuts. Madonna probably dropped to 25k and that won't be enough for top 10.

If she follows the Aguilera GH Syndrome (they opened with virtually the same number of copies), she could drop to around 31,000 next week. Hopefully, that would be enough to stay Top 20. Christina wasn't so lucky, diving from a debut of #9 to #23 in her second week.

HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10(ISH) CHART PREVIEW: Here’s the prospective leader board for next Tuesday—minus the X-factor, Michael Buble, whose new LP comes out today in conjunction with his Oprah appearance. Next week’s double-dippers appear at this point to be Hollywood and Jive/JLG; otherwise, things are spread out pretty evenly.

* Kiss (Kiss) 150-160k

* Denotes debut

We’ll give you a preliminary idea how Buble fits into this picture later today. (10/9a)

I hope this digital era will collapse and the good ol' buying music(physical copies) days will creep back in SOMEHOW. Wishful thinking...The music industry is really fucked up now, especially in the U.S.(in Europe, it looks slightly healthier than the U.S.)...

Edited by Sphere74

Guest Danny86

I hope this digital era will collapse and the good ol' buying music(physical copies) days will creep back in SOMEHOW. Wishful thinking...The music industry is really fucked up now, especially in the U.S.(in Europe, it looks slightly healthier than the U.S.)...

I doubt it's gonna happen... The teens who are making the singles of Miley etc hits don't even know what's it like to go a record store and buy a CD on release day. Labels realize they are saving at least some sales with iTunes, because it's convenient and cheap.

And no, in Europe its worse because practically there's no singles market outside the UK. The loss in physical singles is not balanced out by iTunes in several countries, like in France, where they did not even implement downloads into the main chart. Album sales are low everywhere and the best selling albums of 2009 that sold between 3 and 4 million sold 33% of their totals in the US. But all the million seller singles are dictated by the US and UK, this is evident in "4 Minutes" for example that sold 1.5 million more in the US than "Hung Up" and only 100k less in the UK yet its worldwide total did not pass HU's (or not by a big margin you'd assume from US sales) because there's no hard sales in many countries, even though it was a hit everywhere.

Beyonce's debut was certfied 4 x platinum, 2nd album was certified 3 x plat, and it look like the current one may get 3 x platium too, if she promotes it over xmas and past the grammy awards.

is she the only artist whose 3 albums have sold similar levels? Im not a fan of B but i would love to see her go 3 x plat.

Are you kidding me? These stats are shocking. Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Black Eyed Peas have had monster hit after monster hit on radio and their music is played everywhere, in every show, every mall, everywhere you go and that's all the CDs they have managed to sell. I knew the record business was in big trouble but looks like that it's on life support. And to think it's still sinking as we speak. Madonna's right in just concentrating on tours. The record business, for all intents and purposes, is dead.

Guest Bad Robot

I'm surprised people keep talking about RIAA certifications. Those seem to have pretty much lost relevance awhile ago, particularly with singles. Just citing sales figures seems to be much more commonplace, not to mention more accurate (what is even the point in certifying a single these days, when the concept of shipped vs. sold is completely gone with 99+% of sales being digital? If I want to know if a single sold 2 million copies, I can just look at the sales total.).

Sales keep dropping, and people keep acting surprised. The market is changing. It always changes. Tours keep breaking records. Song licensing for ads has gone from frowned upon to being considered a marketing coup. The industry is still making money, just in different ways.

Has there every been a single industry where people desperately hanging on to the "old way" of doing things has ever resulted in anything but being left behind? Part of why album sales have suffered is precisely because of people desperately clinging to the old way.

Embrace change and the future, people!

Don't worry for Mariah

if necessary she will released this album 3 times to get a platinum!

Barbra? the most annoyin ginterview ever saw in my life she doesn't like sing, making concert or nothing else... stupid fans paying hundreds to see her live!

Celebration will be Gold!

Platinum in ten years! :-) If teh 2 cd rules still exist!

Don't you worry folks Madge is not going to die poor or forgotten!!!