US Chart Talk: 10/17/09

thebigham

I really do hope that Mimi ends up at No.3 for her new album. It will be her lowest charting for a studio album since "Emotions" back in 1991 (not counting "Glitter", of course). The lambs must be in complete meltdown. Mimi's new, lead single missing the top 5 and her new album missing the top 2! LOL!!

I hope Madonna ends up at No.7 or higher. It's a goood showing considering the poor performance of the Celebration single, little promotion and the fact that it's a double disc greatest hits package.

Guest Qbanito21

I really do hope that Mimi ends up at No.3 for her new album. It will be her lowest charting for a studio album since "Emotions" back in 1991 (not counting "Glitter", of course). The lambs must be in complete meltdown. Mimi's new, lead single missing the top 5 and her new album missing the top 2! LOL!!

I hope Madonna ends up at No.7 or higher. It's a goood showing considering the poor performance of the Celebration single, little promotion and the fact that it's a double disc greatest hits package.

^ I agree it matches GHV2 at #7 but for sure in the long run this album will surpass it's sales.

Congrats to the QUEEN! Go on and take a bow!!! :bow:

Guest groovyguy

Some gems by lambs:

"f**k DEF JAM AND MARIAH."

"So f**ked up that mariah can't even sell 200k."

"Longevity will be the key during this era. MC will be alright."

"saddest day in music since MJ died"

Another gem:

"Save Mimi buy the album"

if indeed these #s stand, this will truly the biggest test to MCs mental stability since Glitter. As for Madge, totally FINE and expected #s considering next to NO buzz and a mega flop single lol! Madge is the last person the press and esp. PEREZ are gonna be zoning in on come Wed LOL>

Charmbracelet opened and peaked at No 3 .. but noone really remembers (or everyone wants to forget) that CD. LOL!

Guest Qbanito21

Charmbracelet opened and peaked at No 3 .. but noone really remembers (or everyone wants to forget) that CD. LOL!

OMG so true I forgot about that disaster!!!

:lmao:

I forgot about that one! It scanned something like 1.1-1.2 million in the US. Is it certified for 3xplatinum yet?

I feel really bad for Mariah. All that hard work promoting tirelessly, and giving back to the fans, should pay off for her. She deserves to be #1. :rant:

Why?

The album is shit, her promo "performances" are shit and she's basically giving the fans a re-make of her last albums but way worse... so why do she deserve that #1? Because she makes them spend a fortune on thin air?

Guest Qbanito21

I forgot about that one! It scanned something like 1.1-1.2 million in the US. Is it certified for 3xplatinum yet?

lol :lol:

not yet but im sure it will pretty soon sense they loved to over-certify her

Guest Qbanito21

Why?

The album is shit, her promo "performances" are shit and she's basically giving the fans a re-make of her last albums but way worse... so why do she deserve that #1? Because she makes them spend a fortune on thin air?

lets not forget the album was pushed back 3 times. MooMoo knew she was selling a can of shit to the public

Guest jamesshot

I feel really bad for Mariah. All that hard work promoting tirelessly, and giving back to the fans, should pay off for her. She deserves to be #1. :rant:

It is kinda pay back for all her stealing #1 songs. How long can one person release the same warmed over sound and get away with it? She is reaching her sell by date ( and I hate that term but it applies here).

The REAL question is- what is she going to do now? CD sales are weak no matter what( and she doesn't even have international sales to fall back on). She can't rely on #1's any longer. What should scare all lambs is her lack of touring success. That is really the only way an older, established act can remain relevant in today's climate. I do not in any way see that in her future. So there is zero doubt her music career will be coming to a halt very very soon. Her act is not suited to todays climate.

Everyone here knows I call it like I see it for her. I told everyone not to count her out with Obsessed. And look what happened. But this time? For all intents and purposes, as a major player, she is done in the music world.

Madonna's sales are great and I can see this album having legs through the holiday season. MC on the other hand will be lucky to sell 500,00 with this terrible album. Don't compare it to Hard Candy. If HC were released in the 4th quarter it would have sold over 1M easily.

Guest jamesshot

Madonna's sales are great and I can see this album having legs through the holiday season. MC on the other hand will be lucky to sell 500,00 with this terrible album. Don't compare it to Hard Candy. If HC were released in the 4th quarter it would have sold over 1M easily.

Yes, if 4M were a hit in fall instead of spring and she released Hard Candy in the fall, it would have topped 1M no doubt.

Why?

I was being sarcastic. :lol:

I'm thrilled with her utter defeat. :clap:

It is kinda pay back for all her stealing #1 songs. How long can one person release the same warmed over sound and get away with it? She is reaching her sell by date ( and I hate that term but it applies here).

The REAL question is- what is she going to do now? CD sales are weak no matter what( and she doesn't even have international sales to fall back on). She can't rely on #1's any longer. What should scare all lambs is her lack of touring success. That is really the only way an older, established act can remain relevant in today's climate. I do not in any way see that in her future. So there is zero doubt her music career will be coming to a halt very very soon. Her act is not suited to todays climate.

Everyone here knows I call it like I see it for her. I told everyone not to count her out with Obsessed. And look what happened. But this time? For all intents and purposes, as a major player, she is done in the music world.

That should be Perez's headline tomorrow. :lmao:

Yes, if 4M were a hit in fall instead of spring and she released Hard Candy in the fall, it would have topped 1M no doubt.

HC sold 3.5-4 million worldwide. If Mimi's numbers in the US are really as bad as it's looking so far, she may struggle to pass 1 million worldwide (just like Janet's last album!).

this album will probably struggle to go anywhere "near" 1 mill TOTAL worldwide LOL. Janets last 2 albums may look like w.w smash hits vs. what this album is looking like right now lol. I am the first ambmit though- never count this woman out completely. Her last life line always seems to be acting as FEAT. artist (like I Know What You wWant) which went very close to #1. Someone will hook up her up w/ "feat role", she'll get credit in a hot jam, and of course she'll get full credit for it hitting #1.Whethers she's married, becoes a Mom, being really sick etc..nothing will consume her thoughts more than topping music charts lol. She'll do whatEVER she has to do to get those 2 more #1s to beat the Beatles lol.

wait a minute u guys, she's re-releasing the album all too well now with all the remixes!6x platinum here she comes.

Guest jamesshot

wait a minute u guys, she's re-releasing the album all too well now with all the remixes!6x platinum here she comes.

Haha. She couldn't GIVE the CD away and shift 6 million. Re-release or not, this CD is DOA. She isn't going to pull out another TEOM scenario with this. I never count her out but this time, this shit ain't flying. Even Obsessed wasn't much of a hit. There is nothing fresh or new with this. Once a release gets negative buzz it is very hard to shake it.

The lambs have to see the writing on the wall. The day they all knew was coming is upon us *dramatic music*---- her career is about to stall.

Oh yes, this is a major flop for Mariah and her fake husband! :lmao:

Considering all the promotion and the radio airplay in the U.S, these opening week numbers for Mariah are abysmal!

Madonna on the other hand, with zero promotion and a flop single, still makes the Top 10, and that's with another greatest hits package.

Now folks - remember Mariah's folly when you insist that Madonna's numbers are low due to her lack of promotion. Mariah promoted everywhere and it did not help her - and even if Obsessed didn't go top five, it's still a popular song and people know it - so, to suggest that Madonna would do better if she had a bigger hit song is also off the mark. When you're an established artist, the people who are interested in buying your music will buy it. Occasionally you may drum up some new fans, but at 20 years in the industry (for both ladies), converts are rare.

The only real exception is a huge breakdown and then a built-up comeback - ala Whitney, Britney, and Mariah with the Mimi album. So unless Madonna has a huge fall from grace, there is no comeback which means there is no media interest which means no big hit albums.