HITS: Madonna will sell 65-70k in her debut week

thebigham

Guest missy bi_tch

Her third compilation, much of the songs have appeared on the other two compilations or her past albums, that two new songs ain't gonna make the causal listener shell out US $16 for the 2 CDs. Unless you are talking about 2 CDs of old music and 4-5 new songs with hit potential... celebration is not exactly a classic or breakthrough madonna song.

Internationally, maybe. Casual listeners will buy simply because this is a chance to own most of the classic Madonna songs. USA is still by far a large market for Madonna's past music, so what is offered here is already what many americans already had.

Having said that, it's not like this album is anything revolutionary as compared to IC which when released in 1990, was an excellent way for fans and record buyers to have a copy of the hits on CDs to replace their vinyls and cassettes. These days, we are into mp3s.

Agreed - this is a one-off GH from a rather spectacular artists whose songs have been a defining force yet people talk as if its a hits collection from Ciara or Rachel Stevens.

The album has the potential to be bigger, much bigger but the promo is absolutely aabysmal. Even in the UK not one of her classic songs recharted - did any chart from 1numbers 101-200? There should have been a fanfare, a reminder of some of the classics. Young audiences could have been targeted but nothing. Adults could have been rreminded of their youth.

You can't compare Mariah's latest to Madonna's in terms of promotion. One is a new CD with a mediocre hit soon after another new CD with a mediocre hit. The other is a comprehensive collection of huge hits from the biggest selling female artist of all time. You have no idea how much Mariah's promo helped her. Her numbers could have been truly abysmal if she didn't do what she did.

Madonna's GH is NOT geared towards "kids" or teens. It is geared towards ALL the fans who have ever loved Madonna and her music. If ANYTHING she does will sell in today's market, it is a THIS comprehensive GH.

Guest Danny86

Yes, she could have reached 150k with the promo, but she should have done it only to avoid negative comments by rags and some Madonna haters on the internet? Please, don't be ridiculous. Because other than that, the profit would have been minimal and NOBODY would have been setting fireworks for Celebration equaling GHV2 in the press, you know that.

Madonna has been giving ammo for the "over" comments since 1992 so why would it break her NOW, especially since it's her 3rd GH that repeats 16 tracks from TIC and 8 from GHV2? Do you realize Madonna is actually respected in the industry because she has one of the highest paid contracts now? She was named groundbreaking for signing the LN contract and no GH sales would change that.

Every Madonna album in the last 20 years did not reach its maximum commercial potential, not even ROL because of the NRM fuck-up and because in the US she got the lowest support from radio at the time. She did not promote COADF in the US and sales there looked crap compared to the rest of the world, but do you know since then not many female pop albums sold as much as COADF? Other than Beyonce, I can't think of any! Latest of Mariah sold like 400k less, Katy Perry's, Gaga's and Pink's are still not at 1.5 million, I guess it's only Christina's Back 2 Basics and Britney's Circus that EQUALED COADF!

Celine's GH opened with around 55k and Christina around with 70k so it's not like Madonna is doing worse than the average sales. And we all know Janet won't have the same sales as Madonna, so how could she be called "over" when she's actually doing like the market itself? In the past she's been outsold 2-3 times by Mariah and other current acts, just that the numbers were generally higher.

I'm not even convinced Britney's GH will be breaking 100k, unless its new song causes enough buzz for that, plus she's still riding the comeback wave.

Guest Danny86

Agreed - this is a one-off GH from a rather spectacular artists whose songs have been a defining force yet people talk as if its a hits collection from Ciara or Rachel Stevens.

The album has the potential to be bigger, much bigger but the promo is absolutely aabysmal. Even in the UK not one of her classic songs recharted - did any chart from 1numbers 101-200? There should have been a fanfare, a reminder of some of the classics. Young audiences could have been targeted but nothing. Adults could have been rreminded of their youth.

There you go again... "People" also know GH's by Ciara or Rachel Stevens would not even reach the top 10, so bad comparison. Also, this is not the first time Madonna's hits were compiled, for 4 years already anyone could have bought them on iTunes and I'm sorry but people are being delusional if they think in 2009 people would flock into stores to buy a double CD with old songs. It is certainly NOT a one off GH by the way, this is almost TIC and GHV2 combined with 6 recent singles and 4 old ones added!

It's rich to expect young people to buy it when not even all of Madonna's hardcore fans buy the GH and most of them are like "haven't bought a CD for ages" or "last CD I'm buying", yet it's expected to casual fans who know LAV, LAP and 4M to actually go in a store and pick up a CD even though they have iPod and listen to Black Eyed Peas?

Expectation are incredibly high and deluded, what does it have to do that Madonna is the biggest female artist? Does it mean millions should buy the same songs again? It's like saying Mariah should open with at least 500k this week since she was the biggest selling artist of the 90s and she has 2 back to back Diamond albums. Things don't work like this.

And no, classics did not re-chart in the UK, none of them were downloaded at least 1,000 times to make the chart. Yet 77k in the UK is fantastic and the press has been VERY positive about Madonna equaling Elvis there.

Enough shade at Ciara please, its annoying.

She has only released 3 CD's in her career and been in the business for about 5 years and all 3 of her albums have hit the top 3 on the charts. (Goodies #1 The Evolution #1 Fantasy Ride #3) with her fourth album coming soon! <3 <3

Stay mad.

Enough shade at Ciara please, its annoying.

She has only released 3 CD's in her career and been in the business for about 5 years and all 3 of her albums have hit the top 3 on the charts. (Goodies #1 The Evolution #1 Fantasy Ride #3) with her fourth album coming soon! <3 <3

Stay mad.

2s66ema.jpg

Guest Bad Robot

Of all the types of albums to be hurt by the MP3 era, greatest hits albums are probably the most strongly affected.

If you want your favorite songs by an artist, there is really very little reason to buy a GH album when you can just as easily pick and choose *your* favorite songs and quite possibly spend less if you only like 10 songs instead of 20 or 30. Any of you who are like "OMG IT'S REMASTERED! HOW COULDN'T YOU BUY IT?" are coming at this from a hardcore fan point of view. I've never been at a party or been listening to the radio or a CD and ever heard someone say, "this big hit would be great if only they remastered it." It's not something most people care about.

In reality, given the sharp declines in album sales since 2001 when GHV2 was released, this sales total is actually probably not that far off the equivalent of GHV2 -- which ended up having a pretty decent run. Celebration could have the same thing happen. This is much more of a "gift" kind of album than something people might buy for themselves, which may make it last longer. The Immaculate Collection is still pretty widely regarded as one of the best GH albums of all time, and pretty much anybody who likes Madonna has that already. Years from now Celebration may end up being the preferred choice because of the additional 18 years worth of music on it but there was no reason to expect it to be a big seller on opening week.

How does the truth (a Ciara greatest hits set would do abysmally - her latest studio album sold, what, 200k?) equate to "throwing shade"? :lol: Oh, and Goodies peaked at #3 actually, though that was a hit album in the long run.

How does the truth (a Ciara greatest hits set would do abysmally - her latest studio album sold, what, 200k?) equate to "throwing shade"? :lol: Oh, and Goodies peaked at #3 actually, though that was a hit album in the long run.

Her latest effort has sold 500,000 to date and has only been out 6 months. Not as good as "Goodies" but oh well.

Oh forgive me, yes Goodies (the album) peaked at #3 I got confused with the single of the same title which hit #1.

and what truth? unless you are psychic you cant sit there and say a greatest hits from her would flop.

We will never know how well a greatest hits album from her would do or how badly until she actually does release one.

Her latest effort has sold 500,000 to date and has only been out 6 months. Not as good as "Goodies" but oh well.

Oh forgive me, yes Goodies (the album) peaked at #3 I got confused with the single of the same title which hit #1.

and what truth? unless you are psychic you cant sit there and say a greatest hits from her would flop.

We will never know how well a greatest hits album from her would do or how badly until she actually does release one.

Um, no it didn't. ;) Total worldwide sales (estimates obviously): 296000. Nowhere near 500k.

Oh, obviously there is some chance in hell that she could get a hit with a compilation, but it's not likely, since her career has gone rapidly downhill and she doesn't have many hits. Honestly, they were comparing her to Madonna. Do you honestly think that a Ciara greatest hits, with the five top tens Ciara has had, should sell equally to one by Madonna, who's had thirty-six of them? :lol:

Um, no it didn't. It sold 80k in the first week, plummeted to 20k in the second and is nowhere on the charts now. 200k at the most. ;)

Who is talking about first week sales? I am talking about sales as of October 1st 2009.

In the USA as of today it is around 200k and Worldwide is around 300k

300+200=500

Please stop making an ass of yourself

2s66ema.jpg

The singles for Fantasy Ride were HORRIBLY chosen and dont forget the fact that 90% of the songs on the album had already leaked online months before and dont even get me started on the last minute promo. So to me the fact that it STILL was a top 3 despite everything else was just fine for me. Ciara has only been in the business 5 years, so I dont know what you are trying to do comparing her to Madonna's many decades in the business.

and she has had more than 5 top 10 hits, nice try though.

^Actually, the worldwide tally includes US sales, so that 500k number is rubbish. I'm just saying that the original poster wasn't attacking Ciara, calling her a flop or whatever, just saying that since she hasn't yet had the long career that Madonna has, a career-encompassing set from her wouldn't contain as many hits and therefore would be expected to sell less.

I was talking about the US, where:

Goodies - #1

1 2 Step - #1

Oh - #2

Get Up - #7

Love Sex Magic - #10

That's all, I'm done.

If your going to use Mariah as an example one should use TEOM - a album released in the same year.

Using Xtina is a bad example - she should have waited an album or 2 to have somewhat of a better GH's.

She did not promote COADF in the US and sales there looked crap compared to the rest of the world, but do you know since then not many female pop albums sold as much as COADF? Other than Beyonce, I can't think of any! Latest of Mariah sold like 400k less, Katy Perry's, Gaga's and Pink's are still not at 1.5 million, I guess it's only Christina's Back 2 Basics and Britney's Circus that EQUALED COADF!

Celine's GH opened with around 55k and Christina around with 70k so it's not like Madonna is doing worse than the average sales. And we all know Janet won't have the same sales as Madonna, so how could she be called "over" when she's actually doing like the market itself? In the past she's been outsold 2-3 times by Mariah and other current acts, just that the numbers were generally higher.

I'm not even convinced Britney's GH will be breaking 100k, unless its new song causes enough buzz for that, plus she's still riding the comeback wave.

What is the actual decline for overall album sales on a yearly basis. It would be really good to know what the % drops have been since 2001.

In reality, given the sharp declines in album sales since 2001 when GHV2 was released, this sales total is actually probably not that far off the equivalent of GHV2 -- which ended up having a pretty decent run. Celebration could have the same thing happen. This is much more of a "gift" kind of album than something people might buy for themselves, which may make it last longer. The Immaculate Collection is still pretty widely regarded as one of the best GH albums of all time, and pretty much anybody who likes Madonna has that already. Years from now Celebration may end up being the preferred choice because of the additional 18 years worth of music on it but there was no reason to expect it to be a big seller on opening week.

Guest boytoyville

Don't forget that the single CD is going to add sales to the double disc tally as well. BTW Madonna's albums are always sold at a price point that is 1-3 dollars more than other CD's just an FYI to those that care.

Sure I want Madonna projects to be successful, but some people here seem to spend their lives worrying about whether she could have sold another 20,000 copies last week, or bashing her for not doing enough promotion etc. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

The world will still go round in the morning....it ain't the end of life itself if Madonna doesn't make the Top 5.

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 (OR 15) CHART PREVIEW: A shitload of debuts (figuratively speaking) will infiltrate the top of next week’s chart. Outside the holiday months of November and December, next week could mark the first time in nearly two years when each of the Top 15 sells more than 40k. Next Tuesday they may well be popping the champagne corks at Hollywood, in Disney’s first hat trick since they sold the Mighty Ducks. Congrats to topper Peter Paterno… Scratch that—we just learned Peter’s no longer at the label… Columbia could hit the trifecta as well, if you throw in a certain blonde bombshell from Area Code 615. Anyhoo, here’s what we’re looking at—and while we’re at it, here’s looking at you, kid....

* Paramore (Fueled by Ramen) 185-195k

* Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ) 160-170k

* Barbra Streisand (Columbia) 150-160k

* Breaking Benjamin (Hollywood) 140-150k

* Alice in Chains (Virgin) 130-140k

Jay-Z (Roc Nation) 80-85k

* Miranda Lambert (Columbia Nashville) 70-75k

* Madonna (Warner Bros.) 65-70k

Pearl Jam (Monkeywrench) 65-70k

* AFI (Interscope) 55-60k

* Selena Gomez & the Scene (Hollywood) 55-60k

Whitney Houston (Arista/RMG) 45-50k

Miley Cyrus (Hollywood) 40-45k

* Dethklok (Williams Street) 40-45k

Harry Connick Jr. (Columbia) 40-45k

* Denotes debut

You may now return to debating a possible re-fi with your spouse. (10/2a)

Guest Bad Robot

It seems like album sales have been falling about 15% or so each year for several years.

763 million albums were sold in 2001.

428 million albums were sold in 2008.

That's a 44% decline.

Since GHV2 sold 150k in 2001, the equivalent would be selling 84,000 in 2008 numbers. Considering 2009 looks like it fall another 15% or so, that would be an equivalent of about 72k today.

And I bet if you looked just at GH albums, they'd be harder hit.

I haven't bought the celebration album or dvd, and I consider myself pretty hardcore. I'll probably get them tomorrow though. All the Mariah obsession on this board is getting ridiculous. If Madonna was projected to sell 160k, everyone would be rejoicing, so I'm not buying into the Mariah bashing. It's sooo transparent.

Record sales are down for everyone, and if Mariah makes it to #1, I'm sure she won't be crying because she didn't do 3 or 400k. A #1 is a #1 regardless of the numbers. Mariah will be toasting champagne to herself for racking up another #1......and besting Madonna. Childish but true.

Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it. It's all very "psychology 101" though. Classic textbook stuff here.

Oh, and I haven't bought any Celebration items either.

Guest SuperBriGuy

I had no idea that the band from Metalocalypse had released an album. :lol: Shows how behind I'm getting in my Adult Swim.

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 (OR 15) CHART PREVIEW: A shitload of debuts (figuratively speaking) will infiltrate the top of next week’s chart. Outside the holiday months of November and December, next week could mark the first time in nearly two years when each of the Top 15 sells more than 40k. Next Tuesday they may well be popping the champagne corks at Hollywood, in Disney’s first hat trick since they sold the Mighty Ducks. Congrats to topper Peter Paterno… Scratch that—we just learned Peter’s no longer at the label… Columbia could hit the trifecta as well, if you throw in a certain blonde bombshell from Area Code 615. Anyhoo, here’s what we’re looking at—and while we’re at it, here’s looking at you, kid....

* Paramore (Fueled by Ramen) 185-195k

* Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ) 160-170k

* Barbra Streisand (Columbia) 150-160k

* Breaking Benjamin (Hollywood) 140-150k

* Alice in Chains (Virgin) 130-140k

Jay-Z (Roc Nation) 80-85k

* Miranda Lambert (Columbia Nashville) 70-75k

* Madonna (Warner Bros.) 65-70k

Pearl Jam (Monkeywrench) 65-70k

* AFI (Interscope) 55-60k

* Selena Gomez & the Scene (Hollywood) 55-60k

Whitney Houston (Arista/RMG) 45-50k

Miley Cyrus (Hollywood) 40-45k

Harry Connick Jr. (Columbia) 40-45k

* Denotes debut

You may now return to debating a possible re-fi with your spouse. (10/2a)

Go Paramore!!! :headbang:

Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it. It's all very "psychology 101" though. Classic textbook stuff here.

Oh, and I haven't bought any Celebration items either.

Really? Then feel free to provide a counter argument that proves otherwise.

Internet snark is what's ridiculous...and lazy.