HITS: Madonna will sell 65-70k in her debut week

thebigham

Guest nothingfails0603

I think Mariah's numbers shows how pointless promoting albums has become. She sells 100k more and so what? They had to book her for Oprah and other live performances and she still gets one of her lowest first week sales, and at the very least, more than 50% drop from her previous album 17 months ago. Not to mention that radio kept alive "Obsessed" for 3 and a half months, gave it 80 million audience impression (I believe Madonna reached that level only once in this decade) but it failed to become a sales hit and will not pass 1.5 million. Obviously Mariah is not going to bankrupt, but I do believe the actual profit made on this whole album and its singles will be minimal and shows this kinda promo is not worth it anymore. Yes, for Barbra the Oprah performance worked, but she's in a different league and it's not like her grand total will be passing 500k.

And this was still calculated well for Mariah, because I believe US radio will finally take note of the discrepancy between her airplay and sales so her next lead-off single would not get great airplay. But the thing is, there won't be a new Mariah album in 2010 and judging by these numbers, I'd think in 2011 it will be an achievement for any act to sell 100k for one week, so by that time, we won't be able to tell the difference between flop or not.

I think Mariah benefits from a lot of payola. I still fail to understand why Obsessed still wound up a top 10 airplay smash nevermind the fact that most of her fans hated the song and it's only been a modest iTunes hit, yet Whitney had the most hyped comeback of the year and debut sales that were double Mariah's, but neither of her singles could break past the 20-30 million level. It really isn't like Whitney is all that much older or has been around all that much longer than Mariah.

I don't get why Mimi's album was pushed back to mid-November in the UK- just because "Obsessed" didn't fare well? It's not like she's going to score a smash hit there. Though the UK does like its cover songs.

No doubt cause of The X Factor. :rolleyes: Just like Queen Whitters.

Pathetic how an album is built around one show.

Also rather silly, cause even that show didn't help Mimi last year.

What is out next week? Anything big and does Mariah have a chance of climbing to #1 next week?

I can see Pearl Jam having a huge fall in sales next week and wouldn't be at all surprised if Madonna outsells them.

Guest SuperBriGuy

I think Mariah's numbers shows how pointless promoting albums has become. She sells 100k more and so what? They had to book her for Oprah and other live performances and she still gets one of her lowest first week sales, and at the very least, more than 50% drop from her previous album 17 months ago. Not to mention that radio kept alive "Obsessed" for 3 and a half months, gave it 80 million audience impression (I believe Madonna reached that level only once in this decade) but it failed to become a sales hit and will not pass 1.5 million. Obviously Mariah is not going to bankrupt, but I do believe the actual profit made on this whole album and its singles will be minimal and shows this kinda promo is not worth it anymore. Yes, for Barbra the Oprah performance worked, but she's in a different league and it's not like her grand total will be passing 500k.

And this was still calculated well for Mariah, because I believe US radio will finally take note of the discrepancy between her airplay and sales so her next lead-off single would not get great airplay. But the thing is, there won't be a new Mariah album in 2010 and judging by these numbers, I'd think in 2011 it will be an achievement for any act to sell 100k for one week, so by that time, we won't be able to tell the difference between flop or not.

All this should put a lot of things in perspective, not only the useless drama about HC "flopping" (the lambs would kill for HC's opening sales now, any maybe even the total!), but if Madonna does not take a break and indeed releases a new album next fall, chances are, it will struggle to reach 500k in total (and that might be a bit generous), even if she has decent airplay, teaming up with another young act, unless she goes to Oprah and releases a Something To Remember part 2.

I admit I expected more for Celebration, but there are so much circumstances against this project anyway and not just the lack of airplay for the single. If everyone except Madonna was selling around 300k, I'd say it would be worrying, but to me these numbers are more about the CD format being near-dead than Madonna being disliked in the US.

Well said, and I have to concur...Madonna's not the only act that's putting in numbers like this right now. The only artist that seems to be exempt from these dismal sales is Taylor Swift, and eventually her sales will decline as well.

I don't think Celebration will be a disappointment in the long run, though...I think it will sell consistently and be a great catalogue title for her. Only time will tell, though.

Maybe Madonna's appearance on Letterman will spark a sales surge in the latter part of this week?

I think the pressure is more on Mariah, if her album flops badly in the U.S, she's done, because Mimi doesn't sell anywhere else.

Well Mariah always touring to fall back on......Oh wait......... :zombie:

Guest nothingfails0603

What is out next week? Anything big and does Mariah have a chance of climbing to #1 next week?

I can see Pearl Jam having a huge fall in sales next week and wouldn't be at all surprised if Madonna outsells them.

next week there's a Rascal Flatts GH album (which means it probably won't be too huge), Toby Keith and KISS. The KISS one is a heavily promoted Wal-Mart exclusive ala AC/DC and Eagles, as well as their first new album in over a decade, so there could be a shot they hit #1.

Guest boytoyville

Also remember that this is just the double disc they are talking about. I'm sure the single CD probaby is going to sell like 30k or something as well and double CD's make more money than single ones. Could it be better? yes, Is it a disaster. No. It will do well as a catalogue title through the years.

her fans were surely all out the first day, I doubt anyone will be buying her album next week.

she can't make money touring and no one is going to pour millions of dollars into her scoring #1's and being all over the radio anymore.

DONE

Guest jamesshot

GH don't sell as much but we are talking Madonna here. There are VERY few acts that can put together an honest to goodness GH and it mean something. Madonna is one of them. No one else really compares so it is pointless to put her up against what other GH's have done. Please let's not pretend she wouldn't sell a shit load if she did some heavy promotion. Promotion would work for a GH more than a new CD of new material.

You going to tell me if Madonna didn't get out there and remind everyone of all the great wonderful songs she has made and now you can buy them on 1 CD she wouldn't sell bucketloads????? Hardly anyone I know even realizes she has a new GH on sale this week. So the 65,000 range is no surprise when no one knows the damn thing is even out.

madonna should debut top 10. anything less is really a flop unless sales are mega strong. this album could be lucky to go past 500,000. i estimated 150,000.

will Mc'snew really sell a 1/10th of TEOM? she will see more than Discipline after all she wont just give up.

im not surprised her album wont sell too well - after all its hardly fresh. no matter how much radio play her its just the same bland old shite. TEOM was a sucess because of good marketing and the fact that no one had bought a MC album for almost 5 years,

GH don't sell as much but we are talking Madonna here. There are VERY few acts that can put together an honest to goodness GH and it mean something. Madonna is one of them. No one else really compares so it is pointless to put her up against what other GH's have done. Please let's not pretend she wouldn't sell a shit load if she did some heavy promotion. Promotion would work for a GH more than a new CD of new material.

You going to tell me if Madonna didn't get out there and remind everyone of all the great wonderful songs she has made and now you can buy them on 1 CD she wouldn't sell bucketloads????? Hardly anyone I know even realizes she has a new GH on sale this week. So the 65,000 range is no surprise when no one knows the damn thing is even out.

what is the difference if Warner is not going to get much of the product into the stores and on displays? Fans on the first day are driving all around just to get everything.

Guest jamesshot

what is the difference if Warner is not going to get much of the product into the stores and on displays? Fans on the first day are driving all around just to get everything.

I am sure Madonna could do something about that. She is a very powerful person.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/mariah-carey-paramore-battling-for-no-1-1004017631.story

Next week's Billboard 200 albums chart is going to be flush with new releases, including a race for No. 1 between Mariah Carey's new "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" and Paramore's third album "Brand New Eyes." Based on early prognostications from industry sources, each album could sell between 160,000 to 170,000 in their first week.

For Paramore, the Fueled By Ramen/Atlantic act will easily charge in with their best sales week and highest charting album ever. The band's sophomore set, "Riot!," peaked at No. 15 in 2007.

As for Carey, if her Island effort hits No. 1, it will give the diva her seventh chart-topper and would tie her with Madonna for the second-most No. 1s on the Billboard 200 among women. Only Barbra Streisand, with eight No. 1s, has more.

Speaking of Streisand, the legendary Columbia singer's new "Love Is The Answer" is on course to start with around 150,000. It should easily enter the top 10 next week, marking the icon's 30th top 10 set.

Also aiming to start near 150,000 is Breaking Benjamin's new "Dear Agony." The effort is the Hollywood Records band's first release since 2006's "Phobia" debuted and peaked at No. 2 with 125,000.

Alice in Chains is also going to make a splash next week, as its "Black Gives Way to Blue" could move between 110,000 to 120,000. It's the band's first effort with new vocalist William DuVall, who picked up the mic in 2006, replacing the band's late frontman Layne Staley.

Other albums in the hunt for handsome debuts next week include Miranda Lambert's "Revolution," AFI's "Crash Love," Madonna's greatest hits set "Celebration," Selena Gomez & the Scene's "Kiss & Tell" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "God & Guns."

Nielsen SoundScan's sales tracking week, as reflected in Billboard's sales charts, runs from Monday through Sunday of each week. Next week's album charts will be revealed on Wednesday, Oct. 7 and will reflect data through the week ending Sunday, Oct. 4.

---------------------------

U GUYS IN USA SHOULD BUY PARAMOERS NEW ALBUM

I am sure Madonna could do something about that. She is a very powerful person.

Madonna has ZERO power to stock record stores...and why should she? Store displays and making sure enough product is out, is the the responsibility of WB...at least it used to be. One of my best friends was a WB rep, and all she did was go from ctore to store taking stock of WB artists, and making sure enough copies were on display. That is, intil she was laid off, when the big chains closed. Now it's a free for all.

Madonna seems to be more aware than her fans, that excessive promo is not gonna guarantee big sales. Um...look at Mariah. She also doesn't need to kill herself promoting a catalog album, that's made to sell over time anyway.

Madonna's numbers are tragic..Now I really believe that she may be over in THE USA...USA has 300 million people and she is only able to sell the same number of records as in UK with over 50-60 million people only..ITS very discouraging for Madonna fan..I wish she can still bounce back.

Guest hot revolver

a lot of people dont kno she has an album out, im sure it'd do a lot better!! and i kno a lot of people would buy it if they did kno cuz regardless of wat they think of her today, they all luv her earlier music.

Madonna's numbers are tragic..Now I really believe that she may be over in THE USA...USA has 300 million people and she is only able to sell the same number of records as in UK with over 50-60 million people only..ITS very discouraging for Madonna fan..I wish she can still bounce back.

GHV2 went 2x platinum (maybe 3x) in 2001-2002 and Madonna did 1.38 million in the USA - which is just over platinum. She's been doing better in Europe since Ray of Light (7 million in Europe vs. 4.5 million in USA). I'm not denying that she has declined in the US, but who hasn't with her level of longevity?

I might add that this is a 1 day report and the final number isn't even there yet. I really don't know why a blink of a disappointment sends so many fans over the edge.

Guest jamesshot

Madonna has ZERO power to stock record stores...and why should she? Store displays and making sure enough product is out, is the the responsibility of WB...at least it used to be. One of my best friends was a WB rep, and all she did was go from ctore to store taking stock of WB artists, and making sure enough copies were on display. That is, intil she was laid off, when the big chains closed. Now it's a free for all.

Madonna seems to be more aware than her fans, that excessive promo is not gonna guarantee big sales. Um...look at Mariah. She also doesn't need to kill herself promoting a catalog album, that's made to sell over time anyway.

Promo does work. Though it is hard to prove that when we will never know what a CD WOULD have done had the artist done no promo. This is a GH by an artist with 37 top ten hits, huge hits. We aren't talking a GH by Aguilira, Spears, Simpson- we are talking Madonna. Her GH's cannot be compared with anyone else's. She is in a league all her own. No one knows this is out, unlike a new CD which would at least have a new hot song promoting it. With proper promo, Celebration could open at #1 easily.

Heartbreaking? Why would it be "heartbreaking"? The woman is about far more than how her new compilation sells in the USA. If the charts and sales are primarily what one cares about, then, unfortunately, yeah, I guess one might be heartbroken. lol

The release showcases why she is the most important and revered female performer of the last 25+ years. That is what I'm looking forward to reviewing yet again when I get the CD and DVD.

If you try focusing on that, maybe you won't be so "heartbroken" over less-than-spectacular sales? The woman has nothing left to prove, from a commercial standpoint (or even an artistic one, though I would not begin to count her out on that front).

Promo does work. Though it is hard to prove that when we will never know what a CD WOULD have done had the artist done no promo. This is a GH by an artist with 37 top ten hits, huge hits. We aren't talking a GH by Aguilira, Spears, Simpson- we are talking Madonna. Her GH's cannot be compared with anyone else's. She is in a league all her own. No one knows this is out, unlike a new CD which would at least have a new hot song promoting it. With proper promo, Celebration could open at #1 easily.

Mariah promoted, and look at her numbers. Far from spectacular.

Radio isn't interested in Madonna, the kids aren't interested in Madonna....so I don't know what kind of promo you expected her to do. An Oprah appearance might have given it a boost, bu all the radio call ins, and performances of a song no one is interested in, would have been a waste of time.

Heartbreaking? Why would it be "heartbreaking"? The woman is about far more than how her new compilation sells in the USA. If the charts and sales are primarily what one cares about, then, unfortunately, yeah, I guess one might be heartbroken. lol

The release showcases why she is the most important and revered female performer of the last 25+ years. That is what I'm looking forward to reviewing yet again when I get the CD and DVD.

If you try focusing on that, maybe you won't be so "heartbroken" over less-than-spectacular sales? The woman has nothing left to prove, from a commercial standpoint (or even an artistic one, though I would not begin to count her out on that front).

I do get your point...But c'mon people, be honest, don't you want a bigger sales for MAdonna than that..