Madonna's 12th studio album: David Guetta Confirmed

Guest hot revolver

Guest hot revolver

David Guetta confirms Madonna collaboration

It's been several weeks now that David Guetta has been named as a possible collaborator on Madonna's next album. While different sources have been playing the "is he or isn't he" game, Guetta himself has now confirmed to be on Madonna's shortlist during an interview with The Idolator: "I'm now working on Kelly's new album. I also have the new Madonna album coming up." No other details were mentioned.

http://www.mad-eyes.net/news/2010/10_01b.htm#30b

6 possible themes for Madonna's next album

Madonna is currently at work on a new album, which is expected to be unleashed some time in 2010. She has stayed relevant in the music business by constantly reinventing herself, taking in new genres and musical experiments and making them her own. She is meticulous about how she selects collaborators, because they inform the sound of the albums as much at Madge herself.

One of the confirmed producers working on the still-unnamed work is Brendan O'Brien, who made a name for himself sitting behind the boards for Pearl Jam and has also helmed productions for Bruce Springsteen, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, AC/DC and Aerosmith. Does that mean that the singer behind "Like a Prayer," "Ray of Light" and "Hung Up" is going to dive deep into the rock world and make a guitar-based album?

It's a possibility, though reports also have A-Trak (a Kanye West collaborator) and David Guetta (of "Sexy Chick" fame) working on the album as well, which suggests that it's a combination of roots rock, futuristic hip-hop and whatever Akon makes. With that in mind, here are six directions Madonna could go in.

Rock Opera

Madonna has theater experience (she famously lobbied hard to play Eva Peron in the film version of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Evita") but has never really constructed an album based on a narrative (and the disastrous American Life shouldn't count). She could bring in Green Day producer Rob Cavallo to beef up her rock chops and flesh out her own version of American Idiot.

Electro-Rap Posse Album

If A-Trak is on board, she should expand her horizons and invite a cavalcade of MCs to throw down with her on a full-on rap album. We're certain that Lupe Fiasco, Dizzee Rascal, Mos Def, Rhymefest and Kanye would all probably be game to trade verses with Madonna, who is not necessarily a stranger to spitting. Remember her verse on "American Life"?

Metal

Though she's lorded over some tough dance beats in the past, truly hard music has never been her forte and remains an uncharted territory for the star. O'Brien has produced music for metallers like Mastodon and Incubus, so he's ready, willing and able to crank Madonna's sound up to 11 and really let her rip.

Country Rock

Madonna isn't above aping a current star, and with Taylor Swift cranking out huge hits in big numbers, why wouldn't she attempt to add country to her repertoire? O'Brien has produced twangy records for Springsteen and Pete Droge, and Madonna herself has toyed with country and dance sounds for "Don't Tell Me."

Straight Disco

Maybe all these producers are just there to throw us off the scent, and her plan is to actually crank out an even deeper-diving disco record. After all, her recent single "Celebration" was well-received, and the throwback sounds on 2008's Hard Candy wowed both the dance and pop worlds. Perhaps she just wants to make ABBA tunes for the rest of her career (which wouldn't be such a bad thing, really).

No Limit Revival

She could fire everybody, recruit Master P's Beats by the Pound crew and shout along to some late-'90s New Orleans bounce. That probably won't happen, but Silkk the Shocker could use the work.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/12/29/madonna-new-album-producers/

Guest ursaminorjim

Hmmm.

I don't know - they seem to work better as instrumental artists (and even then it's hit and miss). I mean, when they're good? They're unbelieveable. But neither of them have been able to sustain a full LP. Maybe with the right songwriters, this would be the exception?

And the big bonus - neither of them are Paul Oakenfold. :rosey:

Hmmm.

I don't know - they seem to work better as instrumental artists (and even then it's hit and miss). I mean, when they're good? They're unbelieveable. But neither of them have been able to sustain a full LP. Maybe with the right songwriters, this would be the exception?

Wasn't Mirwais like that?

And "Music" was born ;)

So was "Die Another Day" (a personal favorite of mine...)

Guest ursaminorjim

True! But then again, the best track on that album was Guy Sigsworth, so... ;)

(Has anyone here heard Mirwais's first album, by the way? The one from 1990?)

According to someone at popjustice, she wanted them on Hard Candy, and 'had no interest in working with Timbaland' but Warners (to quote Neil Tenant) 'shoved her down the hip hop route'. Remember The PSB's were asked to submit tracks too. Maybe they will get on this album too? If Live Nation ARE going to give her the freedom to do what she wants, that will be the most exciting news for AGES.

I love signatune - great song and very what she is into.

I can't imagine Madonna being shoved down any route though. She's Madonna! And it was her last album for them. If they could release American Life, I am sure they would have gone with a French DJ production.

The shoving down thing started by Stereomover who does not have sources and repeatedly posted inaccurate info this year, they even said that on Fanzine already. It was Warner who contacted PSB both times, I believe most of the time her label asks people to send in demos and she chooses from them, remember William Orbit sent her stuff for Celebration, she turned them down, and Oakenfold said it was Guy who asked him if he wanted to collaborate. Madonna has been choosing her own sound since 1984, obviously she's affected by trends and suggestions but would be weird if after 25 years she was being forced to record songs she does not like.

I'd like to hear their work.Can someone post a Youtube clip of one of their best songs?

http://www.myspace.com/djmehdi

You can listen to DJ Mehdi's stuff here - multiple tracks.

I dig his stuff. I wouldn't mind them working together on a couple songs. An album with a few by him and some others by Felix da Housecat would sound very congruent. <wink, wink, Madonna>

According to someone at popjustice, she wanted them on Hard Candy, and 'had no interest in working with Timbaland' but Warners (to quote Neil Tenant) 'shoved her down the hip hop route'. Remember The PSB's were asked to submit tracks too. Maybe they will get on this album too? If Live Nation ARE going to give her the freedom to do what she wants, that will be the most exciting news for AGES.

I don't know if Neil gave another interview about it, but I was in the audience for the first interview where he mentioned this and he didn't say Warners 'shoved' her down any route. He said that when it became clear that Madonna was going in the hip-hop/r&b route, the songs PSB had submitted were dropped.

http://www.myspace.com/djmehdi

You can listen to DJ Mehdi's stuff here - multiple tracks.

I dig his stuff. I wouldn't mind them working together on a couple songs. An album with a few by him and some others by Felix da Housecat would sound very congruent. <wink, wink, Madonna>

Thanks!

Guest Danny86

But did Madonna actually contact PSB? Weren't Warner just trying out a few things before the final decision was made? People like Swizz Beats and T2 were turned down from HC as well, along with Sasha for Music and the ones rumoured for one of the recent albums, like Martin Gore and Air.

Guest Danny86

I'd like to hear their work.Can someone post a Youtube clip of one of their best songs?

Posted by robster at fanzine:

DJ Medhi - Signature:

DJ Medhi - I Am Somebody:

DJ Medhi - Breakaway:

DJ Mehdi - Lucky Boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPwJNImqqk

DJ Medhi - Pocket Piano:

DJ Mehdi - Tunisia Bambaata:

DJ Mehdi - North Star:

DJ Mehdi - Leave it alone:

DJ Mehdi - Pony Rocking:

Dj Mehdi - Le Cirque:

Pedro Winter aka Busy P:

Busy P - Rainbow Man:

Busy P - Pedrophilia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8OAvqZld8

Busy P - Chop Suey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37WgR7bhwM

Guest hot revolver

And "Music" was born ;)

So was "Die Another Day" (a personal favorite of mine...)

yea orbit was like that too, no? he did ambient type music for his solo albums

Guest hot revolver

It would be sumthin Madge hasnt done before.. if she worked wit them she'd be considered a revolutionary again in pop music. oh boy do i hope she work wit em!! this is a great opportunity to one up lady gaga and the other trash tarts

Yeah,I'd like for Madonna to work with these guys.I like the idea of her doing an "electofunk"-type album...electronica that's funky.I hope this is the direction that she chooses to go in.

Guest Danny86
if she worked wit them she'd be considered a revolutionary again in pop music.

It takes a lot more than hooking up with producers unknown in the US. Madonna already played this card with ROL and her sound did not even set trends there, so it's safe to say nothing she makes will be treated as the next best thing by the press/general public, when the US is too focused on Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and trying to find a new hyped up artist every year.

I like DJ Medhi - however he is a bit 2 years ago.... along with Justice, Tepr and even Soulwax to an extent.

I think they had their time and dance music has definitley moved in another direction.

I think she should be looking at someone like Rusko or if she wanted to stay in a more convetional electro/French mood then Grum would be an ideal partnership.

Oh well, if it is DJ Medhi then it will be massive step forward from anything she has done since COADF, so bring it on.

I like DJ Medhi - however he is a bit 2 years ago.... along with Justice, Tepr and even Soulwax to an extent.

I think they had their time and dance music has definitley moved in another direction.

You must have missed something though

When Madonna is at her best she takes something that is partly underground and makes it commercial

2 years ago for who? None of those acts you mentioned are acts that the general people heard or know about... so therefor it would again be Madonna taking something not so commercial and bring it to the general public...

i'd like to see madonna travel for a bit..pick up some influences and inspiration from exotic holidays and obscure south american or eastern european bands

She should for sure check out eastern Europe more... this is a region that is often overlooked... but open the horizons and not just look west all the time would make a more interesting product

RUSSIA PRODUCES THE BEST MUSIC VIDEOS IN THE WORLD NOWDAYS!

With that said... she should make videos with Russian directors in Russia

• 2 months later...

in a new interview he mentions Madonna at the end :

And finally, what are you excited about music-wise for the new decade?

I can’t wait to see N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys getting back together. Oh, and A-Trak producing Madonna’s comeback album.

full interview here :

http://www.dummymag.com/next/2009/12/21/dj-mehdi-those-guys-created-the-whole-game-