PREDICT: "Celebration First-Week Sales in USA

HolidayGuy

So, what do we think?

GHV2 opened with 150K and change back in 2001- that was in November, and when album sales were a lot healthier than they are now (pre-iTunes cherry-picking age).

Will she top 100K, or fall short? Discuss.

Honestly, I have no idea. I think GHV2 did "as well as it did" because she was just coming off Music and the Drowned World Tour.

Now, we have a sickly industry and a lead single that barely made it to #71 on the Hot 100. I guess I'll be happy if it breaks 100k, but 80,000 to 90,000 wouldn't be completely unrealistic. Of course, it would've helped if she had more hits in the US in the past 5 years. I am not sure she connects with the youth audience much anymore, and most of her older (casual) fanbase already owns TIC and GHV2. Maybe "Revolver" will help her in that respect (when and if it is released as a single).

think GHV2 did "as well as it did" because she was just coming off Music and the Drowned World Tour.

Yeah, I said the same in one of the recent threads. Surely it would have sold more with a new song but nobody can deny it was a lot more successful period for her.

Well, I want to be optimistic so I'm betting on 120k for now. Anything below 100k will be a disappointment (she should sell that on her name alone), but if it indeed debuts below 100k, it will struggle to pass 500k in total and there will be some meltdowns among fans...

Dindi, the double CD only gets doubled for certification purposes.

Celine Dion's My Love collection (which also had double-CD and single-CD formats) did around 58,000 when it debuted. Will Celebration leave that in the dust, or open similarly? I'd hope for the former.

Anything above 100K would be good, but for the first time maybe ever, I don' think a 100K+ opening is in the bag (for a major release, whether sudio album or compilation).

Trivia: Something to Remember opened with almost 113,000 in 1995, and that had a top 10 hit. Different times, I know...

STR did not have a single help its first week sales as "You'll See" was commercially released weeks after the album, I guess because they wanted "I Want You" as lead off single. And yes, her mid-90s first week sales look weak in comparison, even though all of them were October/November...

This is a tough one. One one end there is no hype built up for it. On the other end the cover is very catchy and anyone willing to take the time to pick it up and read the songs on the back will see it consists of hit after hit after hit after classic hit. All the people that are scooping up the MJ greatest hits might think this one will make a nice book end to that maybe? :blink: I really have no clue. Im going to go out on a limb though and say 175,000-200,000. I do think sales will be consistent through the holidays though. I hope....

lol.gif You told me you were going to buy 20,000 copies on your own. Lies!

:rotfl: I honestly don't give a shit how much she sells. At this point in her career it's irrelevant, but some fans get so worked up over it..I find it rather amusing.

On the other hand I do understand why fans want her to sell. It's a nice feeling when your icon does well in that department, but I am much more interested in the product and what it has to offer not the sales.

:rotfl: I honestly don't give a shit how much she sells. At this point in her career it's irrelevant, but some fans get so worked up over it..I find it rather amusing.

On the other hand I do understand why fans want her to sell. It's a nice feeling when your icon does well in that department, but I am much more interested in the product and what it has to offer not the sales.

Well as long as you dont buy Moo Cows record the same day. :horn:

Well as long as you dont buy Moo Cows record the same day. horn.gif

Ugh ya right! The last Mimoo album I bought was Rainbow and this new one is trash to the max.. I will be getting the 2 disc Celebration and the DVD. I might even get an extra DVD just to have as I tend to lose shit like that shy.gif

Madonna 35,000

Mariah 250,000

Barbra 90,000

35,000!? Geeze. I know I am more than likely asking for the moon with my prediction but damn that is a low guess. Madonna officially sucks ass if this is the case. :lol:

Guest FrozenLight

I think it will sell about 72K on its first week in the US but I think it will have legs and stay in the Billboard 200 charts for 20 weeks or so.

I'm expecting something like this

week 1: 72K

week 2: 30K

week 3: 22K

week 4: 19K

week 5: 16K

week 6: 17K

week 7: 30K

week 8: 40K

week 9: 30K

week 10: 25K

week 11: 50K

week 12: 50K

week 13: 18K and then go down from there

I would love for the first week sales to be above 100K but I'm doubting it this time around

True, YS was commercially released after STR's release- but, it entered Hot 100 Airplay 3 weeks prior. When STR debuted at #6, YS was in is 4th week on Hot 100 Airplay.

While it's not always an indicator, let's compare her first-week sales in the UK and USA for major projects this decade. SOmeone let me know if I'm off on the UK figures for GHV2 and Hard Candy.

Music

USA: 420,000

UKL 152,000

**Sold roughly 175% more in the USA than UK in the first week.

GHV2

USA: 150,000

UK: 88,000(?)

**Sold roughly 70% more in USA than UK in first week

American Life

USA: 241,000

UK: 65,000(?)

** Sold roughly 270% more in the USA than UK in first week

Confessions on a Dance Floor

USA: 350,000

UK: 217,000

**Sold roughly 61% more in USA than UK in first week

Hard Candy

USA: 280,000

UK: 94,000(?)

**Sold roughly 198% more in USA than UK in first week

So, let's say the USA figure ends up 65% higher than in the UK- if it sells 60K in the UK, that would be 99,000. :shock: Keep in mind that "Celebration" is a hit single in the UK, but we don't really know what impact that has on a compilation, though. If it's lucky, the ratio will be a little higher..

COADF's UK debut was astounding.