CELEBRATION: A RETARDATION.

Mattress

I wonder if the people are hearing Hollywood with headphones? That's the only way to catch American Life's ending.

I had my head phones on. Great head phones too. Bose! Don't hear the fade of American Life's ending. The birds are the first I hear.

You're creating a very big and negative buzz about something that "normal" fans would not have noticed. It's like finding a man with a clock in Spartacus and declaring that it's the worst film ever just because of that.

Isn't that sad Mfan? In fact, a lot of people commenting on this, haven't heard it for themselves. And while, I don't think Mattress intended to cause a "negative buzz", he certainly has done so. Like you said, even if the mistakes were there, they aren't really going to be something that would be greatly detected by the majority.

My theory is if you're passing up this collection based on what Mattress wrote, you probably were not going to buy it in the first place, or looking for a excuse. I just don't buy a die hard fan would pass this up. But of course, I am thinking from my perspective. And I don't try to look for the worse in everything.

I love Celebration, it's such a huge compilation and it doesnt sound bad at all! Maybe some die-hard fans will notice some changes, but most people wont notice any at all.

I only noticed the Erotica strange editing, but nothing major. The rest was just fine and the old songs sound really great, actually!

I bought it from iTunes :)

Here and elsewhere, others noticed and wrote of many of the issues individual of and prior to my post. Consumers are noticing errors on their own physical copies of this release.

I didn't embark on an internet-wide campaign to bash Celebration. What I posted was not a proper review for major publication. It wasn't even an amazon.com review. After years months of speculation, I posted only here [and on The Other Shore, an extension of this forum] a list for fans still interested in what made it onto the audio portion of the 2CD set, inclusive of major and minor, um, quirks.

You're left to decide if these things are of importance to you. It's irrelevant who does or doesn't hear them and who does or doesn't care. The range of issues are present on many copies and have been checked for accuracy. Do not shoot the messenger.

I have as much a right to post here as any other member, and others taking an entry intended for this forum and putting it elsewhere online is out of my control. Regarding those who have decided against purchasing this release, any "negative buzz" is generated by those who assembled the CD and by those who failed to enforce a higher standard for quality control prior to manufacture. I'm not responsible as one of several fans who pointed them out.

And allow me to quote myself from several days ago:

As in any other situation, people should be making their own decisions. No one is taking a defiant stance in doing so. I simply sought to post a list of details regarding the contents of Celebration.

I enjoy and respect Madonna's body of work. If at times I seem a little passionate about its preservation, it's only because of that respect. That's not something to fault a fan for.

I will be purchasing the US pressings for all three items the week of release. As with anything I purchase, I will review them in their entirety and if there are technical problems with the discs, including those consistent with the issues present on the international pressings, then I will be contacting the label's customer service department. I encourage others to do so as well.

Very often they will investigate issues such as these and offer replacement discs once the errors have been corrected. As posted earlier, this very label recently had to correct New Order's entire remastered discography.

The packaging is stunning, possibly her best ever, but at the heart of this release is the music. I meant it when I said I feel it's a shame that some of the editing on Celebration has been handled haphazardly and that the mastering is not quite the 'exquisite' upgrade we were promised, but I would never want to detract from another fans enjoyment and that was never my intention.

Guest dicktracy

Mattress, it's not your fault. You stated your case. If people decided to not buy the CD without even listening to it for themselves then let them be SHEEP. :doh:

Mattress - as I said, I'm sure you didn't intend for this to happen (in fact, I *know* you didn't). I was just pointing out that your detailed analysis of the collection (track by track, word for word, copied and pasted) is all over the net and people have actually said that based on what you wrote, they will *not* be buying the compilation. It's in at least four different forums and it's also being forwarded around the world as an email. The irony is that you've always intended to buy the CDs yourself (and will do so)! It's definitely not your fault (obviously). It's a huge shame, though, that other than the members of this forum, no one else knows what else you've said about it (the "judge for yourself" comments etc.).

I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to paint you in a negative light - I was just bringing the situation to your attention.

Guest dicktracy

Dress You Up and Material Girl sound amazing!! Lucky Star's new version so much better than the TIC version (those not buying the CD may want to at least buy this version). Holiday, Like A Prayer and Into the Groove are perfect. And I love that the Everybody edit doesn't butcher the c'mons in the beginning.

Can't hear any problems with Music. Express Yourself is awkward by I can live with it.

Erotica sounds good HOWEVER that ridiculous error at 3:30 is shameful.

Guest bluejean

And while, I don't think Mattress intended to cause a "negative buzz", he certainly has done so.

Let me guess, you will be blaming Mattress if it's not a huge success?

He just posted the FACTS. Any "negative buzz" is the fault of the people who produced the CD, it wouldn't have gone unnoticed by the hardcore fans if Mattress said nothing.

Personally, I already bought the CD and enjoyed it, loved the sequencing of the tracks. I really don't care if the CD does well (makes no difference to my life), but I don't think a thread on a Madonna internet forum is going to have much if any impact on how the album does.

Oh and I will be replacing certain tracks on my itunes with better versions because I don't really want jumpy versions of Erotica, Cherish, Music etc. Who would?

I had my head phones on. Great head phones too. Bose! Don't hear the fade of American Life's ending. The birds are the first I hear.

mine neither... my speakers is in full blast already, it's definitely not the one from American Life album that they used... i listened to the AL album in between AL and H... it's clearly different, I am with you on this one neut... and for Express Yourself, I can remember hearing this version... I know they have this Video Version that I use to see on MTV where they use an album-like intro then mixed with the TIC version... and the cut in between was the way it was in the video that I saw 20 years ago... I remember it quite well and being disappointed with it as well for I love the part that was cut off...

Erotica sounds good HOWEVER that ridiculous error at 3:30 is shameful.

I agree, this is the ultimate and shameless editing error of this compilation... as for DYU, they intended to do that, but I am just wondering, for what? spare 2-3 secs?

Oh and I will be replacing certain tracks on my itunes with better versions because I don't really want jumpy versions of Erotica, Cherish, Music etc. Who would?

agree... the booklet is the saving grace of this mishandled compilation... i like the picture discs as well...

Guest ditaluver

I only hear birds in Hollywood as well. I played it over and over on my headphones and never could pick up the end of AL.

the only issue Im having is with Erotica and the lyrics problem in Cherish. Express Y is sort of awkward but I can see past that. Revolver needs to be much louder, for christ sakes, PDP is louder.

Finally saw some promo posters in NY. Im looking forward to my purchase!

Guest Pud Whacker

celebration - its absolute perfection. by far her best compilation. :thumbsup:

im really sorry for those who arent going to give this a chance. youre fools.

Guest Pud Whacker

I only hear birds in Hollywood as well. I played it over and over on my headphones and never could pick up the end of AL.

the only issue Im having is with Erotica and the lyrics problem in Cherish. Express Y is sort of awkward but I can see past that. Revolver needs to be much louder, for christ sakes, PDP is louder.

Finally saw some promo posters in NY. Im looking forward to my purchase!

me too.

im cool with the whole thing. i love everything about it. the tracklisting, even some of the mixes/edits. i laugh at the beginning of express yourself. that ZHOOOOOOOOOOOOO sound. :lol:

great way to exit warner. :inlove:

i really hope they continue to distribute her even when she goes over to live nation. what other record company has pushed an artist so late in their career that their last 4 albums go NUMBER ONE internationally, simultaneously in 38-43 countries!!!????

Ever since I saw the title of this thread I've been singing "Come join the party.......IT'S A RETARDATION" to myself. :lmao:

i really hope they continue to distribute her even when she goes over to live nation. what other record company has pushed an artist so late in their career that their last 4 albums go NUMBER ONE internationally, simultaneously in 38-43 countries!!!????

Exactly, people complain too much.

It's a great compilation, one of the best ever, actually :thumbsup:

Guest Pud Whacker

...and Pud's blatant damage control rolls on... :lol:

:rotfl:

no, not at all.

in fact, i cant believe how utterly wrong you were in your assessment. or maybe your fast draw inaccurate review had me expecting the worst. i was very disappointed when i read your review becausei was looking very forward to this. so i was pleasantly (and thankfully) surprised and others will be too. i really couldnt have asked for a better greatest hits. xo

i really couldnt have asked for a better greatest hits.

Same here!!! :thumbsup:

ALL the complaints about the selected songs in the past 2 months was wrong IMO. This tracklist is BEST!