CELEBRATION: A RETARDATION.

Mattress

So far from what I'm reading it looks like the CD and DVD are perfect in the USA!!!!!

I have spoken negatively about these Celebration releases but I have a change of heart now :dramatic:

I can't wait to watch the DVD!!!!

Way to go WB you actually got your shit together!

Just bought my cd today in the United States in Santa Barbara a cd store was selling it early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND ITS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

On My CD There's no popping sounds in music!!!!!

Oh and "Erotica" is flawless!!! No bumps or bleeps at 3 something minutes!!

Also 4 Minutes seems to have an extra something in the beginning (I never noticed before!!!)

This is great if accurate. I'll know soon enough.

Re: Express Yourself, I've removed my notation regarding the intro of the video until I am able to confirm that all releases of the Version 1 clip were without it. Everything I've had access to was without the "zipper" intro. A promotional video complete with a countdown lead-in is without it and I never saw it once on television. The second, shorter version did have it.

The promo videos I have screened have the intro as follows:

Version 1

Special mix. The intro is very similar to The Local Mix, but begins without "zipper", starting on the first beat of percussion. The line "Do you believe in love" has an echo to match the other spoken lines. This echo is not present on The Local Mix or any other version of the song. The song then cleanly cuts into the Remix/Edit (house remix) version and is identical to that mix for the duration of the clip.

Version 2

The Local Mix intro, with "zipper", then cuts to main body of the 7" Remix (the single version) and at the end of the final chorus it tacks on the end of The Local Mix for the cold ending. This is the version on The Immaculate Collection DVD, but several of the clips on that release fade up late, including this one, so the sound at the beginning is lost.

And yes, I realize the sound on the beginning is actually that of a needle skating across vinyl. The "zipper" reference comes from an old limited edition release:

Express+Yourself+-+UK+Limited+Edition+7+Zipper+Bag.jpg

jeans+zipper.jpg

:dramatic:

That first post was typed late as I listened to the discs. I meant it as conversation with people here and am embarrassed that it was distributed internet-wide as a "review". I've noticed things since posting, but I'm not going to add them at this time. I plan to clean up the initial list, organized, sans colorful commentary, once I have the domestic releases. Strictly for those who want to know.

Guest IJustFuctMadonna

Mattress, isn't the version of Burning Up a different mix based on the album version? I could swear it has more guitars in the mix during the final ad libs toward the end of the song.

I also think Borderline is an alternate Q-Sound mix. But I have avoided listening to it anytime recently, so I might be wrong.

And yes, I realize the sound on the beginning is actually that of a needle skating across vinyl. The "zipper" reference comes from an old limited edition release:

I think it's actually MIDI bass trill. I have one that's pretty much an homage in my song "Horizon". it's when the notes go up or down on a scale really fast in a 32nd note pattern or (since it was the 80s, possibly also) a keyboardist using a pitch bend/modulation on a note and an amping of velocity or sustain pedal.

That first post was typed late as I listened to the discs. I meant it as conversation with people here and am embarrassed that it was distributed internet-wide as a "review". I've noticed things since posting, but I'm not going to add them at this time. I plan to clean up the initial list, organized, sans colorful commentary, once I have the domestic releases. Strictly for those who want to know.

I knew you never intended it to be a definitive review and I suspected you'd be a bit peeved that it went viral (so to speak!). You've always made it really clear that you intend to buy all formats of the collection and it sounds like you're really looking forward to tomorrow! I hope the US version is better than the mp3s that you heard the other week!

Supposedly, the few audio issues are present on U.S. discs, as well. But maybe it sounds different on the actual CD than mp3?

Thhheeerrreeessss.... too much confusiioonnn... Between the CD and DVD, and varying opinions on quality and such... I'm Going Bananas. :rosey: But I do enjoy reading the commentaries.

Supposedly, the few audio issues are present on U.S. discs, as well. But maybe it sounds different on the actual CD than mp3?

Thhheeerrreeessss.... too much confusiioonnn... Between the CD and DVD, and varying opinions on quality and such... I'm Going Bananas. :rosey: But I do enjoy reading the commentaries.

They are indeed. The same master has been used worldwide*, flaws and all.

* [bar Belgium, who omit "Frozen"]

Mattress, isn't the version of Burning Up a different mix based on the album version? I could swear it has more guitars in the mix during the final ad libs toward the end of the song.

I also think Borderline is an alternate Q-Sound mix. But I have avoided listening to it anytime recently, so I might be wrong.

Yes re: "Borderline". Very subtle differences, the word "mind" echoes on the chorus every time on Celebration. It only echoes on the second chorus of The Immaculate Collection.

"Burning Up" seems to be identical to the Madonna album version.

Not that I'm complaining -- loving the release -- but.... I can DEFINITELY hear the end of American Life at the beginning of the Hollywood video. (I'm not positive, but I even think I can hear it at the end of the video when she unplugs the television and you can hear the birdies again... lol! Hot mess!)

"I download movies all the time that are 700MB in size and they are 2 hours long and look just like a store bought DVD"

I just wanted to say that this is absolutely scientifically FALSE. There is NO way that you can compress the picture that much and not lose IMMENSE amounts of quality in picture and audio. With that said, this dvd set could/should have easily been released on BLU RAY or at least DVD9 rather than a shitty DVD5.

I've just heard Erotica. The edit is unbelieveably bad especially considering there was an edit version on the single from day 1. It's like someone used a cassette player to edit like we did in the 80s :)

The Dress You Up intro is very odd too.

At least Into The Groove sounds great and we have an extra five seconds!

Guest Pud Whacker

i just want to say in this particular thread that after hearing everything thoroughly and over 10 times, its absolutely perfect, my only complaint is that 4 minutes could be a little bit longer. love the little differences to the things we already have and have heard 8000 times.

and i replied to the brilliance of disc one in the dvd thread. :thumbsup:

Guest Not4Pussies

so of the edits which one is the best edit they have made for Erotica?

Erotica (single edit) 4:37

Erotica (ghv2 edit) 4:33

Erotica (celebration edit) 4:30

I'm not nit picky with most of the complaints. I can live with the version of Express Yourself used, or the pops and clicks and irritations on Music. But that edit of Erotica really takes the cake. I noticed it right away and is so annoying. I do love how it fades right into Justify My Love; that alone is a perfect and appropriate segue. However why couldn't they just use the original edit? It just doesn't make sense.

I have to say I'm really enjoying Disc 2. Go figure.

P.S. Miles Away is great

the cd is fantastic. if i were to complain about anything it would be that 3 minutes should be 4 minutes and while i understand the importance of secret (its a good song) i would have preferred something else in its place. anyway...

music...when played in my car or on my stereo its perfectly fine. no pops/clicks etc. when i've listened to it on my computer i must concede that i can hear them. if i play it on my computer though i'll just play the album version instead. voila! problem solved.

hollywood....i've listened for american life over and over and i dont hear it. and if it is there? i really dont give a shit. i cant hear it and thats all that matters.

express yourself...no problem with it at all.

erotica....from the way people talked about it i was expecting this major fuck up. i knew right away what the difference was but it certainly doesnt warrant people acting like its the most horrible thing ever recorded. relax people.....feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the corncob slide out.

into the groove.... people talk about the extra 5 seconds like its new. its not new. listen to the 12 inch angel/groove maxi, the back to back hits 45 (dyu/itg)or the cd with angel/mg/itg. as the song starts to fade out turn up your volume and there it is. always has been, always will be.

I picked up the 2CD this weekend. No complaints here either. Everything sounded perfect and out of this world. I listened to it in my car and on my computer today with no sound issues in the least.

Whoopie, you might have to order the DVD on Amazon like I did.

Adding: btw, some of you owe Neutrocks and others a huge apology for some of the things you wrote. But, I know some won't have the class to do so.

i just want to say in this particular thread that after hearing everything thoroughly and over 10 times, its absolutely perfect, my only complaint is that 4 minutes could be a little bit longer. love the little differences to the things we already have and have heard 8000 times.

I agree,the edit of "4 Minutes" is the only thing that annoys me.There was really no need for a 'single edit' anyway,since this song is already brief to begin with.They should have used the album version.

i actually like the new express yourself edit very much!

dress u up doesn't really bother me

i can't hear AL on hollywood

the pops on music are pretty obvious and the edits of erotica and cherish are very badly executed.

I love, love, LOVE the artwork, the remastered Into The Groove, Like A Prayer & Who's That Girl (finally some love for that song)!

I could have lived without Miles Away and Hollywood (I also hear AL at the beginning) on it. I miss TUTBMP and Deeper And Deeper. I don't like new Express Yourself edit, I would have liked a remastered album version. Ohh well.