Video Music Awards '09 - new thread

Apples388

Guest thehiltonsuite

The rest was too.... touchy-feely, we wronged him, he had no childhood, more excuses, blah blah blah. The man brought it on himself.

That's just stupid to say. He brought WHAT on himself exactly?? You never know somebody's situtation and it's not right to judge them. Madonna was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the situation.

Guest ursaminorjim

Yeah, but the 50s were also a time of controlling the masses with fear and ignorance and soul-crushing boredom. Don't get me wrong - I love the aesthetics. Shoot, half of my wardrobe and most of my furninshings are circa 1954-1963. But no way in hell would I ever wanna live there. :lol:

And I would say there's just as much morality and responsibility in people today. I mean, you didn't see the level of volunteering on a global scale then like you do now. I'd say we're about even given the circumstances.

You're joking about race relations not improving in this country, I'm assuming.

As for your calling The View "journalism"... :lmao:

Because of Racism? The 50s didnt invent racism and it was also the time where change began to happen. Having said that, can you really put your hand on your heart and say that racist affairs have developed that much for the positive in the last 60 years in America? On the whole, people still had morals and a sense of responsibility that is totally lacking from the world today.

Dude, you don't "get" the US at all. We have come a LONG way.

Guest Drowned Bedtime

I think the relating it to her emphasised her point about him being a human, like us all, and to justify why SHE was giving the speech. Though she never refers to herself as such, she is the Queen, he was the King. It's right, and overall, I thought the speech was unexpectedly brilliant and full of humility.

Guest dicktracy

It almost sounds like you WANTED it to be a character assassination. Why did you feel the same way when she started off? I really don't get why people are so quick to judge and so negatively. It is sad really and that reaction only makes Madonnas claims that the world has become ignorant and abandoning even more poignant. It's so obvious that Madonna is a good person. Whether or not you like her work, she has a good soul and she has very positive intentions. You would think other grown up people would want to support that in order to help the future of our world be a positive and strong future.

The point is that they are trying to form a public perception of her and her actions. It is downright bitchy and VERY LAZY journalism. Anyone with an educated brain can see that it comes from blind hatred and nothing more. If it were good journalism and written concisely and from an educated and well meaning point of view then you might be able to forgive it (a little).

Did you just called The View journalism???

HA!

Guest vermicious knid

Yeah, you know, it will be interesting to hear how Whoopi handles talking about her former costar (and, I presume, friend), the late Patrick Swayze.

She better not talk about how she feels about it and about how her life and his life touched, because -- ya know -- that would be self-centered. If she so much as says, "When we were in 'Ghost' together,..." I don't think I'll be able to take the hypocrisy. And if she repeats that he was the first person she thanked when she won her Oscar because she wouldn't have won it without him, I would then like to say, "Whoopi, isn't that a little silly? Does that Oscar mean that much in comparison to Patrick's battle with pancreatic cancer?"

You were nearly dead on! I saw a little recap on Inside Edition, and she said that if it hadn't been for him, she would never have been cast in Ghost, and therefore would never have gotten her Oscar!

Madonna's speech was beautiful. Very well spoken and she didn't have that nervous voice thing going on like she sometimes does. And she looked gorgeous.

I thought Janet did well, but I thought the singing was live because of how awful it sounded.

I liked Pink's acrobatics performance. I thought she did very well.

Kanye is such a pos. I did feel bad for Taylor when his ego took control of the stage. Who the fuck is he to say what should or shouldn't be. He is not the VMA's. If he wanted Beyonce to win then he can give her his own Kanye Award for Best Female video. The best part is that B ended up winning the award for best video anyway. He's such a tool. This poor girl goes to accept an award, she seems in awe and genuinely happy and then a douche bag kills her moment. And give me a fucking break! "One of the best videos of all time." Really?

OMG. Now for those bitches on The View. AGAIN. Taking a small piece of the speech and making it seem like that was the whole thing. Those conniving cunts. The whole lot of them. I would like to personally deliver 12" dildos to them to shove down their throats and shut their ugly asses up. Choke on it bitches!!! As a matter of fact, Kanye needs one too.

I loved the speech, it was very heartfelt and honest. But the beginning DID remind me a tiny bit of this.

'he has made outstanding contributions to the world of music video. LIKE ME' :D

It WAS very sincere and a lovely tribute, but you can't make MADONNA not MADONNA, which I am glad of personally.

Guest ursaminorjim

One of the best post mortem's I've seen yet, courtesy Carrie Brownstein (formerly of Sleater-Kinney):

Is That All There Is? (The Video Music Awards)

Last night, I inadvertently ended up watching the first hour of MTV's Video Music Awards. Mostly, I was baffled by how little I know about popular music. Yes, of course I've heard of Lady Gaga, but who exactly is Justin Bieber? And why is he already so concerned about his hair? (His hair is awful, by the way, like the swishing backside of a freshly coiffed Pekingnese.)

The show began with Madonna paying tribute to Michael Jackson. Her speech was almost surreal in its sincerity. I imagined her writing down her feelings in a diary; the frankness and nakedness was so apparent, I felt like I was watching a spoken-word performance circa 1991. Her words contained none of the tacked-on, tried-on gravitas that Madonna has attempted to cultivate over her long career. Instead, she was heartfelt, even pedestrian.

Following Madonna was a music-video montage of Michael Jackson. Its highlight was not a fierce Janet Jackson -- straining to infuse her song and dance with a succinct summation of her pain -- but the shots of other musicians in the audience as they gleefully watched the videos, transported back to whatever moment they first discovered Michael Jackson.

Then there was the "Kanye West incident," which you've likely read about already. Basically, when Taylor Swift was named the winner of Best Female Video -- the first award of the night -- West jumped onto the stage, grabbed the mic and proceeded to tell the audience that Beyonce should have won. Cameras cut to Beyonce in the audience, looking stunned and a little embarrassed.

I'm fine with Kanye West being some sort of loose cannon, but I really wish he had better aim. The guy needs to pick his battles. West was on stage so fast, and with such indignation, you'd think some major form of injustice was going down. Beyonce really doesn't need anyone to defend her. Plus, she was up for eight more awards! Maybe if the night had ended with Beyonce being shut out -- she won Video Of The Year, for heaven's sake -- one could understand an extemporized moment of disbelief, or one of her colleagues giving her props from the stage. But all Kanye West managed to do was to stomp all over a 19-year-old woman's moment to be on stage and be heard.

Usually, something as branded and crass as a mainstream music-industry event tends to squash individuality and blend everything into a giant ball of gilded banality. But watching West's solipsistic outburst at the expense of Swift seemed to split the show apart at the seams. The moment revealed a gross (though not surprising) underbelly of ego, power, sexism and stupidity. But overall, the incident gave us a glimpse into something most of us already knew: that MTV and the Video Music Awards have very little to do with music. If we were tuning in to watch a spectacle, we got what we came for.

Guest dicktracy

I loved the speech, it was very heartfelt and honest. But the beginning DID remind me a tiny bit of this.

It WAS very sincere and a lovely tribute, but you can't make MADONNA not MADONNA, which I am glad of personally.

"The Diva Himself... George Michael"

How prophetic. I guess it was only a secret to the general public.

M Talks About Lourdes

That guy is too excited talking to her; so annoying.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:437713" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=type%3Dnormal%26id%3D1621641%26vid%3D437713%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A437713%26startUri=mgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A437713" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:500px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">MTV Shows</a></div>

M's speech was the best ever! So moving and true and, unlike most speeches, so NOT boring.

Funny how the queen of spectacles chose the opposite, low-key route and still ended up as being the real highlight of the show. :)

Madonna owned the world :dramatic: