Video Music Awards '09 - new thread

Apples388

Guest ursaminorjim

Madonna's speech was terrific, the best public speech she's done as far as I can remember. Very heartfelt without being maudlin, funny without being winky, and it was so refreshing to see a celebrity who took some responsibility. She was able to relate as a person without making it entirely about her, and that was really classy.

And the eye-daggers J.Lo shot her when she saw that Madonna was rocking the very same hairstyle that she was pilloried for - hilarious. Of course, it works on Madonna because she's a 51-year-old woman, and the Catherine Deneuve hairstyle is totally appropriate for a woman of her age and experience.

As for the rest of it? Beyonce stole the show as far as the performances went, and Kanye's bringing the whole proceedings to a screeching halt was the moment of the night, obviously. Yes, he was a complete asshole for doing that to poor Taylor Swift. He was also 100% right. None of the other nominees were anywhere near the caliber of "Single ladies," but with MTV's new policy of making sure all their target audiences are pleased, we'll never have a sweep by a single video again, methinks. Their politics and rigging are simply too transparent. But still - Kanye's interruption was totally uncalled for, and completely hilarious. At least it made for good TV, something MTV has been incapable of for over a decade.

And for people who are suggesting that this somehow has a racial component? Please. Just...go away.

i heard they are discussing Madonna on The View today and dissin her speech....that it was all about her (which i kinda agree with)...and the ladies from The View keep repeating "And so was I"

Do you agree with a diss of that fabulous speech? what for?

Those ladies seriosly need to fuck off finally... idiotic program

Instead of praising what she did they have to be all jealous because she's prettier and more successful than they ever will be... this has to do with envy and nothing else

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, when Madonna is so constantly (and often accurately) portrayed as being this strategic genius w/r/t her career, it's easy to see why people would suggest that. I mean, after all, her talking about how we should appreciate our heroes while we can - after drawing several parallels between her and Michael Jackson - could've just as easily led into a shill for her new 2-disc, career spanning retrospective, on shelves this month, pre-orders available through Amazon now. :lol:

Madonna's speech was terrific, the best public speech she's done as far as I can remember. Very heartfelt without being maudlin, funny without being winky, and it was so refreshing to see a celebrity who took some responsibility. She was able to relate as a person without making it entirely about her, and that was really classy.

And the eye-daggers J.Lo shot her when she saw that Madonna was rocking the very same hairstyle that she was pilloried for - hilarious. Of course, it works on Madonna because she's a 51-year-old woman, and the Catherine Deneuve hairstyle is totally appropriate for a woman of her age and experience.

As for the rest of it? Beyonce stole the show as far as the performances went, and Kanye's bringing the whole proceedings to a screeching halt was the moment of the night, obviously. Yes, he was a complete asshole for doing that to poor Taylor Swift. He was also 100% right. None of the other nominees were anywhere near the caliber of "Single ladies," but with MTV's new policy of making sure all their target audiences are pleased, we'll never have a sweep by a single video again, methinks. Their politics and rigging are simply too transparent. But still - Kanye's interruption was totally uncalled for, and completely hilarious. At least it made for good TV, something MTV has been incapable of for over a decade.

And for people who are suggesting that this somehow has a racial component? Please. Just...go away.

Well Beyonce won video of the year. The video got its due reward. I don't care for Taylor myself, but her win wasn't all that surprising - she's really big right now. Regardless of whether you think she deserved it or not, she's a KID. She was excited to recieve her award and her moment was ruined by an even BIGGER BABY. I'm glad he came out looking like the loser he is.

Completely agreed on all points :thumbsup:

The people bringing race into this are projecting their own bullshit.....as usual.

I saw "The View" this morning. They focused on the beginning of the speech with the "So was I" parts. Obviously as a whole, the speech wasn't devoted to herself but they decided to only show the first 30 secs of the clip to fit their judgment. But they did end by saying how beautiful she looked and whatever she is doing, to keep it up.

...and Kanye's bringing the whole proceedings to a screeching halt was the moment of the night, obviously. Yes, he was a complete asshole for doing that to poor Taylor Swift. He was also 100% right. None of the other nominees were anywhere near the caliber of "Single ladies," but with MTV's new policy of making sure all their target audiences are pleased, we'll never have a sweep by a single video again, methinks. Their politics and rigging are simply too transparent. But still - Kanye's interruption was totally uncalled for, and completely hilarious. At least it made for good TV, something MTV has been incapable of for over a decade.

He may be right, but I thought it was rather easy of him to invade on Taylor Swift's personal space and make his assessment, since she's a 17-yr-old teen. Had he dared to do that while Pink or another, more aggressive performer were on stage, his ass would've been handed to him right on a a platter. He really is an outright asshole for that.

And if he hates the voting policies of these awards shows so much, then why bother showing up? If he really wants to take a stand then he should relinquish his nominations and not show up at all. He can't have it both ways.

Why did Madonna say she had 8 siblings (I thought she just had 6? or 5?) and that her mother died when she was 6 (she always change this number "my mother died when i was five" <- Mother & Father)... I mean I get it.. it fit the whole speech but still.. feels kinda weird... that was probably the only thing that kind of stuck to my mind

Well, the part in "Mother & Father" about her saying she was five was probably an artistic license since it rhymed. If she said "six" it wouldn't have sounded as good.

And if we're being technical, Michael Jackson actually had 10 bothers and sisters (so there were 11 siblings altogether).

Rebbie Jackson

Jackie Jackson

Tito Jackson

Jermaine Jackson

LaToya Jackson

Marlon Jackson

Brandon Jackson (died at birth)

Michael Jackson

Randy Jackson

Janet Jackson

Joh'Vonnie Jackson (Joe Jackson's youngest daughter who everyone pretends doesn't exist)

Ugh. That really angers me because it's just not true. Oh well.

Sometimes I really wish Madonna would publically speak up about these women. Not that I think she should fan the flame. But they're just so petty and full of crap.

Her speach was heartfelt,classy and very on the mark. Madonna is the only living icon that has felt fame like MJ has,albeit with a lot less tragedy.

For anyone to criticize her speach speaks volumes. I'm so sick of these women who think they know it all,but really haven't got a clue. She was gorgeous so at least they aknowledged that. But please take them of the air now.

I think its safe to say that the VMAs haven't been this good since 2003. This show is amazing. Every performance (well, for the most part) has been an event. Even Lady Gaga's horrible performance.

Finally, we had a VMA that was worth talking about!

What the fuck? AHAHAHHAHAHA. I don't think you need to be a certain age to wear that hair style :lmao:

It is a well known fact that Kanye plays the racist victim. I remember reading in an interview something along the lines of: 'If I were white and Justin was black, I would be the voice of this generation.' Kanye is very defensive of his race and middle class white Americas attitude toward it. Maybe it was the wrong choice of winner, but lets not pretend Beyonce was breaking new ground with this video. Sure if the nomination was 'female video most immitated and copied on youtube' then she would surely win. I dont even know who the fuck Taylow swift is, but you can tell by the way Beyonce reacts later (letting her return to the stage when Beyonce wins) how even SHE felt on the matter. I can one hundred percent say I feel like for Kanye it was a race issue. I'm sure plenty of artists disagree with who should win, but it isn't his show. The show belongs to MTV and if he doesn't like it...he shouldn't be there.

I do agree with you. I think if let's say a black chick won over Beyonce. Or if Taylor was black he wouldn't have done it.

I'm glad that no one swooped big. It was all spread around. Taylor got Best Female, Gaga got Best New Artist, Britney got Best Pop and Beyonce got Best Video...etc

Everyone got something and it felt fair.

What i've been asking here and no one else has, is do you think that Kanye was gonna win one but they changed the winner at the last minute right after what he did????

Im just wondering why and how MTV cut so fast to Beyonce's reaction when Kayne jumped on stage? Seems staged now that i watch it. Kayne West is the #1 search today on Yahoo.

Because they already had cameras around all the nominees.

This is MTV. Quick angle changing is like a religion.

Because they already had cameras around all the nominees.

This is MTV. Quick angle changing is like a religion.

So they obviously liked the Kayne moment or else they would never have put the camera on Beyonce for so long. I'm suspicious of the whole thing.

So they obviously liked the Kayne moment or else they would never have put the camera on Beyonce for so long. I'm suspicious of the whole thing.

Well, they already had a camera on her because she was a nominee, and they put cameras on all of the nominees to get their reactions when the winner is announced.

When Kanye started talking about her, they showed the camera that was pointing at her because he was obviously talking about her. I don't find it suspicious, Beyonce isn't that good of an actress, and she did seemed rather stunned.

You're being ridiculous. It is simply the case that they had the view of all of the nominees. They showed Pink just before Kanye grabbed the mic and then when he started saying Beyonce had made one of the best videos ever, they showed Beyonce. Simple.

agreed.

and i still go with my theory that beyonce is not that good of an actress. she really did look honestly stunned.