Why no acclaim or respect for Frozen?

Braby

Guest SuperBriGuy

Huh? i don't see in any way how ROL is a riskier single choice than frozen. although the song is different than her dance songs of the past, to me it sounds like the most "mainstream" song on the album (not that there's anything wrong with that).

But it was risky for her because she had become known for doing ballads for quite a few years prior to the release of ROL...and the few tracks she had released that weren't necessarily a ballad had not fared well on the charts (Human Nature, Bedtime Story). I think that was the point he was trying to make.

But it was risky for her because she had become known for doing ballads for quite a few years prior to the release of ROL...and the few tracks she had released that weren't necessarily a ballad had not fared well on the charts (Human Nature, Bedtime Story). I think that was the point he was trying to make.

true, she had had quite a string of ballads prior to that (which, i must say, i absolutely long for given the current epic-ballad-drought of recent years), but nonetheless i still think she was always thought of as a "dance" artist, so that would make ROL even more expected because of the length of time since she had released a dance single...

Guest bluejean

while frozen IS wonderful. its no vogue.

I agree.

I do love the song. I think lyrically its great. The production is amazing, it has a great atmospheric quality, very dark and haunting. I think the song itself wouldn't be so amazing without the production, the chorus is abit lack lustre. The Power Of Goodbye has a better melody in my opinion, but Frozen seems to win out overall because of its uniqueness.

It was an interesting choice as first single, perhaps not ideal but it certainly grabbed people's attention and did very well. Ray Of Light is better though imo. I think had that been the 1st single it would have been #1 everywhere, even the US.

Whilst ROL is obviously a great song, Frozen has aged better IMO.

ROL is instantly addictive. I don't know anyone who dislikes that song. I remember thinking at the time that ROL would have made the better lead single - launching a blistering attack on the charts everywhere. But I don't listen to ROL now whereas I still adore Frozen. Frozen sums up the album perfectly too - and ROL doesn't. Madonna's lead singles tend to be reflective of the overall tone of the album it is lifted from.

Had she done a True Blue and held off the album's release until ROL single came out then yes I think ROL itself would have been a number 1.

while frozen IS wonderful. its no vogue.

Vogue has NOTHING on Frozen..

You can clearly see that a majority of Madonna's hardcore fans are gays when ranking a song like Vogue higher than a masterpiece like Frozen!

Frozen is a beautiful and intelligent song, it's truly one of the higlights of Madonna's career and one of her top.3 best singles (and Vogue is not even in her top.10!!!).

I love my Madonna dark, sensitive, creative and mature. Frozen represents all of those aspects.

And Ray of Light (the song) has nothing on Frozen either!

Guest SuperBriGuy

true, she had had quite a string of ballads prior to that (which, i must say, i absolutely long for given the current epic-ballad-drought of recent years), but nonetheless i still think she was always thought of as a "dance" artist, so that would make ROL even more expected because of the length of time since she had released a dance single...

I concur, since it's been a few years since Madonna even attempted a ballad I'd love to hear her take on one in the present day. I don't know if I even classify any songs on HC as a ballad...the closest that fit the bill are "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" and "Voices."

Frozen was the perfect first single for ROL. I remember when the video launched, it was all over TV. People expected her "come back" single to be a big pop number, but it was so somber and no one had ever seen her all gothed out like that. It was the perfect way to re-launch herself. She really gave us something she hadn't done before.

I agree. Who's in your signature, sexy?