Should Madonna take a break?

Guest Madlover033003

If she's feeling like that, great. It looks a bit silly at times though. Why do we have to either go DEMUR or SLUTTY? it isn't about that, is there no in between?. She has a natural sex appeal to her that doesn't need to be pushed out there like a 21 year old, you can see it when she's on stage.

Well, playing to extremes gets attention, yes? And this is her work she’s trying to peddle? I think that while part of it might be a genuine expression of her life right now (I am not saying I know that for a fact though) another part of it might be just to stand out and get some PR in a field where the competition is fierce (especially for her). I am sure she is thinking of it on many levels, as she is no fool. Even if some people think she is acting like one.

I’d also argue that this MIGHT be the middle ground for her – that is, poppin’ your pussy dressed in Balmain and Dior - for someone who hitch-hiked buck naked in 1992, whipped naked men at the Gaiety, and photographed her own pussy emerging from a pool. I do agree that she has her own natural sex appeal though.

This other stuff though, it's just tacky and fug. There's nothing "wow" or "oohhhh" about any of it. All this "Madonna is just sexual!" rubbish is just a stupid excuse for her to gyrate around like a tosser with a bunch of 20 year old dancers to appeal to the kiddies.

I find her sexiness at the moment completely uninteresting. That's just my take on it though. Some seem happy with it on here, so...

Well, who knows? You may have point. However, I have a feeling that as long as it gets her headlines she is going to keep doing it. So you can hate it all you want, but let’s face it – her career is a carnival ride for all of us and it won’t last forever. When they entomb her body at the Museum of Modern Art, most fans will be begging for one more video – even if it’s “Celebration – Part 36.”

But anyway, I'm all for sexual Madonna but why does sexual mean pussy popping all over the place? It's such an obvious and unimaginative interpretation of being sexual. Erotica was sexual. Bedtime Stories was sexy. And they didnt fall into the trap of cooch rubbing and humping the leg of a 20 year old to appear so.

Uhm, you do remember that Erotica came out simultaneously with a book of her rubbing all over ALL KINDS of people naked, right? The album's back cover was Madonna sucking a toe? Was followed by a tour that featured a mock orgy? And as I recall, she rubbed her scantily-clad pussy all over a TV screen in the video for "Take A Bow."

Perhaps it is better to ask people to describe what kind of sexuality they are comfortable with Madonna expressing at age 51? Obviously pussy-popping dancing is out.

I think some of you are going to have a shitty autumn and holiday season as a Madonna fan if "Revolver" comes out next. The song is about how killer her SEX drive is...you better get your "I Hate Slutty 51 Year Old Madonna" Tshirts made now. :lol:

I think the problem is that every time Madonna starts working on a new album, too many of her fans want another Like a Prayer/Ray of Light. Both of those albums came from an honest, organic crossroads in her life and career. Like a Prayer seemed to be inspired by the introspection that comes from a failing marriage and turning thirty. Ray of Light came from the personal and professional milestones of having gotten to successfully play Evita and becoming a mother. History has shown us that some sort of life-shattering, eye-opening, or enlightening experience has to take place for Madonna to get in *that* kind of a creative mood. She can't forge that sort of thing. That was the problem with American Life. I think she approached that project with the intent of creating another seminally abstract work (ala LAP and ROL) and during the process discovered that she wasn't particularly inspired, had nothing to draw from, and attempted to wing it for the rest of the way through. When Madonna tries to be "creative" and off-kilter, it can be a train wreck. And when she tries to please fans by giving them what she thinks they want to hear, it rings insincere. The next album Madonna does should be what she wants to do. If it were up to me, she'd go back to pre-1998, and just do music that sounds good to her...not try to stomp out new territory for the sake of being "creative," high brow or to impress people. Maybe without that kind of pressure, or pretentiousness, on her back she'd inadvertently do something especially "creative" again. In the meantime, fans need to quit begging for Ray of Light part 12, or expecting her to reinvent the wheel with every new release.

I agree with this 100%. Good post.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

OOOOH CONTROVERSIAL THREAD :rolleyes:

But anyway, I'm all for sexual Madonna but why does sexual mean pussy popping all over the place? It's such an obvious and unimaginative interpretation of being sexual.

That's my issue with it. The set up is so predictable. An aging pop star gets her face injected to look younger and then frolicks about with her boy toy to prove she still has pussy power. How cliche.

"Sexy" changes as we get older, whether we like to admit it or not. You can't approach it the same way you did in your 20's or 30's, it just doesn't work like that anymore. We can scream about how fit she is, and how young she looks, but that doesn't mean she looks good pumping her crotch against a wall while she licks her lips and winks at young boys. That's really not very sexy to me.

The sexiest she's looked to me over the last couple years has been the Vanity Fair photoshoot, the W photoshoot with Mehsus and her Sticky and Sweet tour. Everything else has been very hit and miss imo.

It all comes down to taste i guess. I'm just not picking up on any sexy vibes really, especially in that ridiculous cringe worthy Celebration video. It's almost like a parody or something. Maybe the media is having fun with it all [i don't read tabloids, i wouldn't know], but i'm bored by it.

At the end of the day though, as long as that fun translates into her music, i don't lose sleep over it. As for her next era, i'm not expecting a Ray of Light or a Like A Prayer, i just hope she sets a trend [doubtful though] or does something that really makes my ears stick up. I'm all for a party album, just give us something cool and interesting. Not a 5 year old fad album [Hard Candy, which i still enjoyed].

In typical M style, she'll do whatever she wants anyway, so what i think doesn't really matter. I still don't like it though. Oh well.

Yes she should take a break for herself. For her family too.

I think the next album will be different more mature maybe. I think we will get great effort from live nation to promote re videos etc.

On the subject of sexy M. I always say The Power Of Goodbye was one of her sexiest videos. She was vulnerable yet powerful and so much was implied. Maybe that's the way her sexiness will go. And yes I still believe she will be sexy forever!!!

"Sexy" changes as we get older, whether we like to admit it or not. You can't approach it the same way you did in your 20's or 30's, it just doesn't work like that anymore. We can scream about how fit she is, and how young she looks, but that doesn't mean she looks good pumping her crotch against a wall while she licks her lips and winks at young boys. That's really not very sexy to me.

The sexiest she's looked to me over the last couple years has been the Vanity Fair photoshoot, the W photoshoot with Mehsus and her Sticky and Sweet tour. Everything else has been very hit and miss imo.

It all comes down to taste i guess. I'm just not picking up on any sexy vibes really, especially in that ridiculous cringe worthy Celebration video. It's almost like a parody or something. Maybe the media is having fun with it all [i don't read tabloids, i wouldn't know], but i'm bored by it.

I'm not attacking your point of view (as I think many in here share it), but I am having trouble reconciling the statements above. You say the sexiest she's look in the last couple years included the W Shoot with Jesus and the Sticky & Sweet Tour - yet she's snogging Jesus in the W spread - and lying in a bed with him no less. And on the Sticky & Sweet Tour she pops her pussy (dancing) in "Heartbeat" and even dry humps one of her dancers.

And yes, she does look sexy in "The Power of Goodbye." However, if that's all she did from now on, I dunno...I guess it would seem pedestrian to me.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you to see things my way. I just wanted to point those things out.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I'm not attacking your point of view (as I think many in here share it), but I am having trouble reconciling the statements above. You say the sexiest she's look in the last couple years included the W Shoot with Jesus and the Sticky & Sweet Tour - yet she's snogging Jesus in the W spread - and lying in a bed with him no less. And on the Sticky & Sweet Tour she pops her pussy (dancing) in "Heartbeat" and even dry humps one of her dancers.

I know you're not attacking me :lol: we're only having a discussion :barett: it's cool, say whatever you want.

Just because i think she's over doing it, doesn't mean she can't be naughty in some way. I don't expect her to sit in a rocking chair sewing sweaters while recording Give It 2 Me :lol: . I liked the styling in the W photoshoot, i liked her look, her clothes, she looked mature and sensual. It had a naughtiness to it that wasn't cheap and in your face and silly. It was dark and sexy. I just didn't have fits over it when i first saw it because Mehsus is boring to me. But i liked the concept and how she looked.

As for Sticky and Sweet, i haven't seen the WHOLE show. The stand out from what i saw however, was her Vogue performance [ think that was the one, i've avoided seeing too much because i want it properly on DVD]. I don't remember any pussy popping in that, but i liked her moves and the set up, she looked hot.

Like i said earlier, some stuff i warmed to, other stuff i didn't. It's how she goes about it.

what the matters of the pants... come on be more creative yourself, you only refert to work that have been done 10 years ago, you don't have any point so stay in the corner and watch

no break need to be taken sorry guys worng all the way

As for Sticky and Sweet, i haven't seen the WHOLE show. The stand out from what i saw however, was her Vogue performance [ think that was the one, i've avoided seeing too much because i want it properly on DVD]. I don't remember any pussy popping in that, but i liked her moves and the set up, she looked hot.

Well, she did stop and rub her clit for a bit during "Vogue" at one of the shows in Spain this summer. :lol:

Admit it CUBB, you're going to be just like her at 51.

Just kidding. ;)

She needs some time to get creative again. We need another amazing - and i do mean AMAZING (like ROL, LAP) - album. Yeah her last few albums have been good, but i know she can do so much better. what do you think?

Agree!!

Both "Hard Candy" and "COADF" were way too safe albums for her. Not bad, just safe.

And I won't even mention the Celebration single which is a joke.

Anyways.

I hope she will get creative again. Finally drop the fluffy stuff and release something serious and interesting again. Finally release something that feels NEW and FRESH again. Last time she did that was with American Life, although COADF had its moments aswell (Future Lovers, Isaac).

Don't get me wrong. I love COADF and I think it's one of her best albums. But the style of most songs were quite dated. Euroclub? And then Hard Candy.

Drop the fluffy dance themes already.

She doesn't need to play it safe and usually when she tries something new and not so safe the results are better. She used to start trends, I don't know where that went.

Uhm, you do remember that Erotica came out simultaneously with a book of her rubbing all over ALL KINDS of people naked, right? The album's back cover was Madonna sucking a toe? Was followed by a tour that featured a mock orgy? And as I recall, she rubbed her scantily-clad pussy all over a TV screen in the video for "Take A Bow."

Perhaps it is better to ask people to describe what kind of sexuality they are comfortable with Madonna expressing at age 51? Obviously pussy-popping dancing is out.

I think some of you are going to have a shitty autumn and holiday season as a Madonna fan if "Revolver" comes out next. The song is about how killer her SEX drive is...you better get your "I Hate Slutty 51 Year Old Madonna" Tshirts made now. :lol:

That was exactly my point actually. Get your tits out. Have an orgy. Go ALL THE WAY. Be Sharon Stone. If you wanna be sexy go BALLS OUT doing it. Enough of the spread legs and the thigh high boots. It's just boring and lame.

she has no time for any breaks now. She is 51 and has to keep it going until she is at least 60 :boxing:

Yep, I think the same. I have a feeling, we're going to see new stuff from her much more often. Of course, it probably won't get the same recognition and acclaim as her past work, but that's what happens to aging artists.

I can't help to think of Dolly Parton when I think of Madonna. Dolly is still kickin'. This woman puts an album out almost every year. Her music is just as great as in the past, sometimes even better. But being an aging artist, she doesn't get the same attention. However, it seems Madonna still has a little more edge to her, so she'll probably always get some attention for much she does. But I think we're going to see Madonna releasing a lot more music and touring more often. I also think we're going to see a lot more products she will endorse. She's going where the money is. While I don't doubt she's always going to be creative, it's also business for her. She'll always have a fan base that will follow her, no matter how much some fans bitch and moan.

Madonna never took a break between musical projects. She either had side projects like a film or play and that allowed her creative juices flowing. The only recent penciled in break she had was when she went on a 3 week vacation with Guy and the kids after the confessions tour and adopting david, then speaking about it on regis/kelly saying it was uncomfortable for her with nothing to do. She works best when she's a multi tasker obviously.

I can wait two and half years for the next project. Bring back pretentious Madonna – I want her pseudo religious philosophies, songs about her children, songs about her mother and father, songs about surviving – so many have written her off including her fan base these days.

Agree!!

Both "Hard Candy" and "COADF" were way too safe albums for her. Not bad, just safe.

And I won't even mention the Celebration single which is a joke.

Anyways.

I hope she will get creative again. Finally drop the fluffy stuff and release something serious and interesting again. Finally release something that feels NEW and FRESH again. Last time she did that was with American Life, although COADF had its moments aswell (Future Lovers, Isaac).

Don't get me wrong. I love COADF and I think it's one of her best albums. But the style of most songs were quite dated. Euroclub? And then Hard Candy.

Drop the fluffy dance themes already.

She doesn't need to play it safe and usually when she tries something new and not so safe the results are better. She used to start trends, I don't know where that went.

She played it safe with COADF because AL flopped and was panned by the critics. She needed to re connect with the public and was desperate

not to have 2 flops in a row.

Guest boytoyville

No time for breaks with Madonna. I mean especially now with her age. Keep the next projects a coming honey! Time to put out another album and another amazing tour!

She definitely needs to take a break - she's a SPENT FORCE creatively and doesn't even have her finger on the pulse anymore (Paul Oakenfold FFS :lmao:). Sad thing is she won't - she'll probably put Celebration flopping down to file sharing and cosole herself that she can make money from touring but the overkill from that is already starting to take it's toll - regardless of the much publicised income from it - it won't be so easy next time.

I honestly feel that leaving Warners means she'll slip into IRRELEVANCE in terms of her output from now on - she's already being tagged a HERITAGE ACT.

Why should she take a break? I don't think she is no longer creative and relevant. She is simply having fun! It was incredible to see her so happy during this tour! She is enjoying it. And the same goes for Celebration... she doesn't want to have the finger on the pulse all the time!! I'm sure that for the next album, all of you will eat your words!

Edited by MForever

I think the problem is that every time Madonna starts working on a new album, too many of her fans want another Like a Prayer/Ray of Light. Both of those albums came from an honest, organic crossroads in her life and career. Like a Prayer seemed to be inspired by the introspection that comes from a failing marriage and turning thirty. Ray of Light came from the personal and professional milestones of having gotten to successfully play Evita and becoming a mother. History has shown us that some sort of life-shattering, eye-opening, or enlightening experience has to take place for Madonna to get in *that* kind of a creative mood. She can't forge that sort of thing. That was the problem with American Life. I think she approached that project with the intent of creating another seminally abstract work (ala LAP and ROL) and during the process discovered that she wasn't particularly inspired, had nothing to draw from, and attempted to wing it for the rest of the way through. When Madonna tries to be "creative" and off-kilter, it can be a train wreck. And when she tries to please fans by giving them what she thinks they want to hear, it rings insincere. For the next album, Madonna should do whatever it is she wants to do. If it were up to me, she'd go back to pre-1998, and just do music that sounds good to her...not try to stomp out new territory for the sake of being "creative," high brow or to impress. Maybe without that kind of pretentious pressure on her back she'll inadvertently do something especially "creative" again. In the meantime, fans need to quit begging for Ray of Light part 12, or expecting her to reinvent the wheel with every new release.

What a marvellous post. I'd never looked at it that way, and though I like American Life, I can see your point. :clap:

However, I don't really insist on another Ray of Light or Like a Prayer -a True Blue will do for me, full of pop gems with enough seriousness to avoid the suspicion that the songs have NOTHING to do with the singer's life.

I think there's even a possibility that with Hard Candy and with Celebration, Madonna didn't WANT to tap into what was going on in her life. I mean her marriage was falling down around her ears, and now she has split up from the father of her children. In reality however much she parties and seems to be having a ball, for a feeling person like Madonna, it must be quite a dark phase. Much easier for most of the album (with a couple of exceptions) and especially the singles to have been lighter affairs.

She was INCREDIBLY sexy [and beautiful] in Power of Goodbye.

I agree - and I'm sure that this is what people mean with being sexy without having to take your clothes off. It's just a very feminine way of being sexy without being a lust object, without it is tacky or too much "in your face" (like the crotch shots in hung up for example) I'd looveeeee it if she'd make another video or use another "theme" for her new album which is like the power of goodbye video. It only does her justice. I can't imagine anyone hating on it, it's just too beautiful, and very, very sexy. Also, I don't care what anyone says about her being too old or too pale for it: she should go back to brown hair. After all, it's her natural hair color, so it can't turn out in a bad way.

Btw about the power of goodbye "theme": if it's too "sweet" for her and not "madonna" enough, she can always throw in hot kissing scenes, like in the video ;) thats what made it different than the videos of the other female singers such as beyonce, mariah, whitney, etc. I'm sure it won't get boring with her, there's always a touch of"madonna" she can get in there ;)

A break? Really doesn't matter! Won't necessarly translate to ground breaking music sum are hopeing for.

On the Celebration video, it's cool and I think she does look hot! And not at all desperate.

Madonna has ALWAYS wanted to seem like a piece of hot snatch, even in the Hollywood video she was writhing around in her undies with her tits pushed up to there. No-one expects that to stop, just for it not to be the entire REASON for the whole thing.

I think we will get a rock/dance infusion. Although I said that before hard candy came out.Im just glad she's happy.