10 Awful Album Covers

Guest Hot Revolver

When I first heard about the album title I was hoping that Madonna would go the Willy Wonka route with a purple top hat and all. :(

As for the rest of the list WTF with Heart of Stone? I actually liked that cover a bit, I thought it was cool back in the day. I don't understand the hate for Ozzy's cover, either. Fantasy imagery is actually appropriate for the genre.

The boxing and sweet themes were too many concepts to throw into an album cover. All the others, like them or loathe them, had strong visual messages -LAV 'horny slut' True Blue -'ecstatic' AL -'rebel' etc. Then you have the prize fighter, but in front of a boiled sweet. Was a horrible picture too. There was a beautiful outtake where she was wearing white and looked kind of old and tired, but still sexy. That would have made an amazing album cover to me.

There was a beautiful outtake where she was wearing white and looked kind of old and tired, but still sexy. That would have made an amazing album cover to me.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Guest MimiDiva

When I first heard about the album title I was hoping that Madonna would go the Willy Wonka route with a purple top hat and all. :(

As for the rest of the list WTF with Heart of Stone? I actually liked that cover a bit, I thought it was cool back in the day. I don't understand the hate for Ozzy's cover, either. Fantasy imagery is actually appropriate for the genre.

You are so right! :)

Deserved and such a shame, considering how horrible it looks next to the rest of her album covers.

That album cover was vile and makes my skin crawl to this day. I'm convinced it affected sales - at least in the sense it put potential customers OFF wanting to buy the CD when they saw it in the shops with that cover, even more uninviting than American Life.

It's not just the legs splayed pose with the vacant mouth open catching flies look, but right down to the hideous font and beyond ugly background, and the album title is cringeworthy too.

At almost any age that pose would be horrible with an album cover, but a photo like this which is also vulgar is brilliant

sit.jpg

If only something like this was used instead, a bit less of an abomination to the eyes

candy01.jpg

While Madonna's cover is one of the worst ever, it's not the worst on the list.

I agree.

Honestly, the back cover is much better than the front cover. Although the concept is good, the whole photo-shooting was weak. Guy O needs to stop taking pics of Madonna for album covers and stuff like that.

Where's Steven Meisel when you need him?...

Guest SuperBriGuy

I'd say my biggest problem with the Hard Candy cover is that she's trying to look sexy.

Madonna should never have to try to look sexy.

Add that to the intentional air of tackiness (the gaudy colors, the kiddie font, the supergloss card stock, the preposterous outfit), and the whole thing collapses. She should've gone whole hog with it, made herself into a character, tarted herself up to match the aesthetic. Instead, she wanted to look "beautiful" as well as desirable and tough. And it just doesn't work. :confused:

I agree wholeheartedly...maybe something like this, instead.

madonnahardcandy.jpg

^ is that really Madonna? It looks like her face but it could be fake

Edit: definitely fake

Although the concept of 'hard candy' does not reflect in the picture, I guess it would've been a better choice than that ugly cover.

Guest SuperBriGuy

^ is that really Madonna? It looks like her face but it could be fake

Edit: definitely fake

Although the concept of 'hard candy' does not reflect in the picture, I guess it would've been a better choice than that ugly cover.

Yeah, I didn't think it was real...just kinda seemed to fit what he was getting at with the concept. I thought it was cool, though.