"Celebration" OFFICIAL TRACKLIST!

cosmic_system

I just think Playground, I'll Remember and You'll See are not on Celebration because Warner doesn't want to kill "Something To Remember", that with 6 "new songs" (it's the only Madonna's album with Playground and I'll Remember and of course I'm couting the remix of LDLHA too) it's actualy more than a collection.

Crazy For You is her first ballad hit, and it's still huge. It was also on Immaculate so that's why it's on Celebration (since the whole IC album is there minus Rescue Me), and of course Take A Bow is there becuase yes, among the 90s ballads it's still the biggest one.

Guest Danny86

I'd agree with the possibility that they want to keep at least something in print, if they are already killing some of the studio albums and the 2 GH's, but I think STR stopped mattering years ago. From what I know, it never actually charts whenever there's some new and big Madonna project. I think outside of new fans, who want to check out EVERYTHING in her catalog, those ballads hold no relevance anymore. I know it's unfair that it was decided like that, but I think it's just as unfair that Madonna cannot get radio play these days and those songs that never had the chance to become hits are immediately dismissed by fans. Yes, she was forced to include 2 "non-hits" from her later years of her career, but would it really be a lot better to have those ballads instead, and her recent years get almost nothing apart from the 3 big hits, because unlike today, back then radio kept giving her chart hits whenever she recorded a new ballad? It's not like she actually promoted those songs more than "Give It 2 Me" or anything.

Guest dicktracy

Sales may have kept it from charting higher, but it was a huge radio song in the U.S. During that era, it was the one song I could count on hearing on the radio until "I'll Remember" took over. Another big radio song as well. But now, those songs are rarely heard or talked about.

All of that is valid but Rain was NOT one of the biggest hits in the US or anywhere else. Unless one counts the 20th biggest...

All of that is valid but Rain was NOT one of the biggest hits in the US or anywhere else. Unless one counts the 20th biggest...

No doubt it's not close to being her biggest hit in the U.S., but "Rain" did manage to have longevity on radio. In fact, I can't recall "Erotica" and "Deeper and Deeper" being played much on radio. I'm sure there were certain regions in the U.S., it was played more. Though, "Erotica" seem more like one of those instant #1 songs that quickly was brushed aside on radio. U.S. radio really gave some love to "Rain". In fact it charted better than "Holiday" and this is included on the GH's. But of course, I would have to say you can't compare "Holiday" with "Rain". One is definitely "classic" why the other was a somewhat last ditch effort to save the album "Erotica".

Erotica - #3, 9 weeks in top 40, #2 airplay, #4 sales, certified gold

Deeper And Deeper - #7, 13 weeks, #8 airplay, #15 sales

Bad Girl - #36, 3 weeks, #36 sales, #44 airplay

Rain - #14, 14 weeks, #11 airplay, #31 sales

Guest Danny86

^That shows radio never turned its back on Madonna because of the SEX book. "Bad Girl" is actually one of her few US radio flops of the 90s, its subject matter was definitely not radio friendly anyway.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I believe "Miles Away" has been chosen for the greatest hits, because it will influence buyers of the greatest hits, who aren't necessarily Madonna maniacs, to buy "Hard Candy". They may hear "Miles Away" and figure "Hard Candy" may be worth buying as well.

That's a bit of a stretch :lol:

I understand Warner's logic behind omitting the Something to Remember tracks, as cosmic-system said. Plus, you never know, now that she's gone they will definitely scavenge her back catalogue with reissues and repackages. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Something to Remember was reissued with the newer ballads that weren't included on Celebration (e.g. "Power of Goodbye", "Nothing Fails", etc.) in the future.

It's funny, most GH cds are full of less hit material than what is missing from Celebration... I'd say the average GHs has 3 or 4 top ten hits, a few songs that cracked the top 100 and then the rest is filler.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the tracklist. Surprised to see Burning Up, But as it's one of my favorites am also thrilled. I really hope ITG is the original. I would love remasters of that and I'm sooooo excited to finally have one of WTG. I would have liked to have 1 more song from Erotica. Deeper And Deeper being the obvious choice, but Rain could also be a contender. If any album deserved just one track included, it should be American Life. Put one of the E songs in place of Hollywood. I'm thinking Hollywood was included as an official Am Life single since Die Another Day wasn't really released as a single to support the album. I would have preferred GI2M over MA. I do wish TUTBMP was included. I love the fact that all singles from the 1st album are included, but I guess BU could have been sacrificed to make room for other eras. No Evita songs is a good choice. And no Something To Remember singles is fine as it keeps interest in that album. Maybe that's also why there's no Playground. STR is now the place to go for it. The track order is a little weird, but I do like the grouping of songs from different eras and think it will sound great. It's kind of sad if TIC is really going out of print. It's just legendary. At least Rescue Me has a single and won't go the way of Time Stood Still. I've probably repeated what has already been said a million times over being that my opinions are shared with the majority, but I just wanted to get that in. But I am more than satisfied with the cds. I hope the dvds are all the videos.

The Immaculate Collection is NOT going out of print... where is this insanity coming from!?

Warner Music will NOT be releasing endless compilations in the future.. This is the last album in her contract and they will NOT be allowed to release anything without the artists permission.

M's back catalog will stay exactly as it is.. she is not Michael Jackson.. she doesn't need the money!

Guest Danny86

^You can find more details in the SoundScan thread of the charts forum.

Warner will not be releasing endless compilations because they won't be able to sell them. However, they are going to handle her catalog for an extended time, they confirmed that.

MJ was forced to release compilations because he could not be bothered to record a proper album, and it was SONY cashing in on that.

Guest Not4Pussies

supposedly we will know soon why they chose 4 minutes and miles away over give it 2 me

and why vogue was put on before 4 minutes

i think the cd is a continous mix

or all songs are remixed versions

I'm still having a hard time reconciling TUTBMP not being there. IMO, all twelve of her Hot 100 number one singles should have automatically been included. This becomes even more sore when I see the likes of "Burning Up," "Hollywood" and "Sorry" listed.

I'm still having a hard time reconciling TUTBMP not being there. IMO, all twelve of her Hot 100 number one singles should have automatically been included. This becomes even more sore when I see the likes of "Burning Up," "Hollywood" and "Sorry" listed.

But Sorry was a UK, Italy, Spain, Romania and the Euro Hot 100 #1 hit. World wide Sorry was just as big of a hit as TUTBMP and Madonna isn't going to toss away a big recent hit for a forgotten hit of 17 years ago.

I'm a bit torn on TUTBMP.

On one side I think it should be there as it was a US # 1 and big hit elsewhere.

On the other hand I find it hard to listen to. It drags and her vocal isn't her best. I tend to skip to the next track when I listen to it.

Re Sorry - that track was so big in Europe after hung up . It deserves it's place.

True Blue, rain, d&d, TPOG and I'll remember are the ones I'd have loved on the collection. Glad there's no evita or American pie - like them but they don't belong here.

Overall I'm very happy :) think this will surprise everyone with big sales.

I also think there may be a surprise with the single cd. One or two different tracks maybe? Give it to me?

I think the tracklist proves it wasn't chosen by fans in spite of what the press release says.

So, which was the gem that supposedly got away they were talking about (Everybody? Burning Up?) and wasn't there meant to be a track from around the American Life period? Do they mean Hollywood has a new mix?

I'm satisfied with this tracklist.There's no way that she could have made a 'perfect' 2-CD compilation,considering all the hits that she has had.It would take a 4-CD box set to include everything.I think this set is a great overview of her career.

Glad to see "Miles Away" on there.It's my favorite song from Hard Candy.

Can see why they left TUTBMP off the compilation because it's quite a droll boring sounding song.

Guest Danny86

I think the tracklist proves it wasn't chosen by fans in spite of what the press release says.

So, which was the gem that supposedly got away they were talking about (Everybody? Burning Up?) and wasn't there meant to be a track from around the American Life period? Do they mean Hollywood has a new mix?

Anna confirmed a while ago that track was dropped, but might appear "somewhere else" (possibly as a B-side or a digital bonus track).

To me it's clear that "Dress You Up" is the track that is the most "fan-influenced", no wonder its even track #1 on CD2.

And the thing is, just because most of you keep missing a song or two, it doesn't mean the fans who made the requests feel the same. Plus I can imagine "Miles Away" thrown there for the fans, after all the complaints about not having any promo, not to mention how MOST fans kept wishing it was a single when HC leaked.

Before everyone goes too wild about this..

this is not from an official source

which (hopefully) means that Miles Away and Hollywood won't be included (hope hope hope)

Yes, but there's no point to hope in anything else. I mean, we all went through this when nobody believed Madonna would do the Live Earth version of "La Isla Bonita" on S&ST and use the CT backdrop for "Ray Of Light" when Tribe revealed that... The tracklist is a "controversial" subject among fans and they simply would not risk their reputation with posting a non-real one, because they'd get crucified.

Since the 2-CD version is now settled, let's move on with our 1-CD wishlist:

01) Holiday

02) Borderline

03) Like A Virgin

04) Material Girl

05) Papa Don't Preach

06) La Isla Bonita

07) Like A Prayer

08) Express Yourself

09) Vogue

10) Justify My Love

11) Take A Bow

12) Frozen

13) Ray Of Light

14) Beautiful Stranger

15) Music

16) Don't Tell Me

17) Hung Up

18) 4 Minutes

19) Celebration

This is the most solid for me, although CELEBRATION is barely having success, it is essential since it's the title track...

80s - 8 songs, 90s - 6 songs, 00s - 5 songs...all songs, readily recognizable and remembered by casuals...