"Celebration" OFFICIAL TRACKLIST!

cosmic_system

Observation:

- 16 out of 17 TIC tracks are included, are they trying to kill one of their all-time SKU? :manson:

How could they do a compilation without repeating the TIC tracks? :confused: There's only a couple of songs they could cut like "Lucky Star", I think.

- DYU, Hollywood & MA made it to the GH instead of bigger hits like CAC, TUTBMP & D&D? :manson:

I'm not happy with Hollywood and MA, but what's wrong with DYU? That's a much loved and fondly remembered 80s classic. CAC may have been huge at the time, but then everything she put out in the 80s was huge. In the grand scheme of things it's ultimately forgettable. Not to mention a rehash of ITG.

BYE BYE MISS THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION!

IMMACULATE COLLECTION IS DEAD NOW!!!!!

Yup. Though I'm not seeing what the big deal is about TIC being dead - it was already on its last legs and selling much less than it used to, so the perfect time really.

In a sense, though there should have been a comprehensive 2 disc collection much earlier (GHV2 should never have been released), they had no need as TIC kept selling so well. It sold, what, 1 million this century in the UK?

And anyway, technically TIC is not dead, cause there might be some people who prefer the TIC mixes, so will need to keep buying that. :crazy: Assuming they're not used also on this release. :|

Ok, the 180 minutes dvd thing is just the running time on amazon.The real official thing we know, from the dutch press release and Billboard, is that it's a 2 dvd set.Amazon might be wrong and MAYBE it's 180 minutes on each dvd.Le'ts just wai and see.

I wondered the same when first hearing the 180 mins. I wondered if it was for each DVD. I hope this is the case.

Yup. Though I'm not seeing what the big deal is about TIC being dead - it was already on its last legs and selling much less than it used to, so the perfect time really.

In a sense, though there should have been a comprehensive 2 disc collection much earlier (GHV2 should never have been released), they had no need as TIC kept selling so well. It sold, what, 1 million this century in the UK?

And anyway, technically TIC is not dead, cause there might be some people who prefer the TIC mixes, so will need to keep buying that. :crazy: Assuming they're not used also on this release. :|

While I agree, it hardly was a huge seller, but the argument that GHV2 wasn't needed because of TIC selling well, makes no sense. GHV2 was a different collection. It ALMOST picked up from where TIC left off. Certainly, the songs on GHV2 hardly made the impact than the songs on TIC, but it still was a nice time to do another GH's album.

Anyway, I always got the impression Madonna didn't like to do Greatest Hits and that is why she always offered different mixes and edits when she did do it. So I am betting we'll get something slightly different this time around.

And for those who enjoy the wallop that TIC packs, unleashing those era-defining tracks one right after the other, as they were released- it still serves a purpose. :)

Like someone noted, "Hollywood" probably has been heard by most people in the Stuart mix form (VMAs, re-Invention Tour). In other countries, though, the album version got notable airplay, just not in the USA.

Stereomover at Fanzine posted this:

"You Must Love Me" was removed at the last minute in favor of "Crazy For You". Part of the royalties would actually have to go to the Evita songwritters, i think. Something, like that...

"4 Minutes" and "Miles Away" were favored over "Give It 2 Me" for reasons that will become clear later on.

They basically listened to the fans on this one.

So, hush!

This one's for you.

I find his reasoning hard to believe there, but I wonder if YMLM was removed at the last minute, since that sample of the lyrics is on the title of the album cover - unless that was her way of nodding to it.

This whole "for the fans" business is silly. It was conducted in a slapdash manner over Guy Oseary's twitter. If they wanted fans input, they could have got fans to vote for tracks they wanted on there at her website.

Bjorkle did that on her GH though and ended up with an odd result - no "It's Oh So Quiet" there, her biggest hit left off her GH. :| In terms of quality, yes it shouldn't be there, but it must have affected sales since it flopped.

While I agree, it hardly was a huge seller, but the argument that GHV2 wasn't needed because of TIC selling well, makes no sense. GHV2 was a different collection. It ALMOST picked up from where TIC left off. Certainly, the songs on GHV2 hardly made the impact than the songs on TIC, but it still was a nice time to do another GH's album.

I would have rather had a comprehensive 2 disc collection back then instead of GHV2. I hate 2 part Greatest Hits, Depeche Mode, The Cure and Siouxsie also had them (though theirs were more complete singles collections). But I suppose from a commercial standpoint "a sequel" to TIC made a lot of sense, even if the reality turned out to be a bust.

20 years is a lot of time to wait to release a new GH, but TIC was a certified phenomena.

I find his reasoning hard to believe there, but I wonder if YMLM was removed at the last minute, since that sample of the lyrics is on the title of the album cover - unless that was her way of nodding to it.

This whole "for the fans" business is silly. It was conducted in a slapdash manner over Guy Oseary's twitter. If they wanted fans input, they could have got fans to vote for tracks they wanted on there at her website.

Totally agree how it was conducted. Most fans didn't know about it until after the fact. This was when fans were just learning about Guy had a Twitter account and he was using it often to Tweet about Madonna. It wasn't even mentioned on Madonna.com and/or Icon when it was conducted. Surprise Surprise! You'd think that you'd give heads up to the people who are paying $45 bucks to be part of that club. But no, Guy conducted a low key poll so to speak when people virtually didn't know he was doing it.

Though, the set list is quite good. It seems most agree "Miles Away" and "Hollywood" doesn't belong on it, but at least they are good songs... or at least, I like them very much.

GHV2 were single edits and album versions no? That's one thing that I hated about that release. I loved how TIC was remixed and updated from the album versions. That way we had both.

With Celebration I hope they not only remaster the songs but also update the mixing/remixing of the songs, not to completely change them but to enhance them and give us something more than just single versions and edits.

"Madonna" may surprisingly turn out to be her best album ever (LAP and ROL don't age that well), but 5 songs seem like an overrepresantation.

Poor Madonna has been killed stone dead now. Quite strange when you think of it - only 3 other tracks on there. Now people won't get to hear the delights of Physical Attraction, I Know It and You Better Finger Me. :lmao:

I thought with them deleting True Blue, they'd use all 5 singles from that.

GHV2 were single edits and album versions no? That's one thing that I hated about that release. I loved how TIC was remixed and updated from the album versions. That way we had both.

With Celebration I hope they not only remaster the songs but also update the mixing/remixing of the songs, not to completely change them but to enhance them and give us something more than just single versions and edits.

I wonder if it will say, like GHV2 did, on the back cover which versions are used, or be shady like TIC. :sneaky::nocomment:

GHV2 was a bit overkill with the edit details though. :lmao:

And some were wrong.. I mean, I think it said radio edit for "Ray of Light" when that wasn't a radio edit at all. Or it may have just said 'Edit'. Not sure.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

How very unsavoury and Janet Jackson esque.

I know. It was a bad move, cause they were all basically the original versions - i.e the ones that were heard on the radio. It probably confused casual fans.

But I suppose it was a reaction to address the complaints of TIC, where the originals certainly weren't present and it was all subtly overhauled.

GHV2 was just such a non-event, ain't even funny. It has good songs on it, no doubt, but the impact upon listening to it does not even compare to TIC.

Wonder if WB will just use disc 1 for the single CD, or take tracks from both discs to make the single. Disc 1 actually wouldn't work bad as the representative; but, both discs have 10 TIC-era tracks, and they're separated enough that it makes them both indispensable (though I'd probably give the edge to disc 1's TIC-era).

Guest dicktracy

I feel they skipped a lot of great 1990's hits and put too much emphasis on 2000-2008 barely hits and 1983-1984.

If anyone wants 90's "hits" there's GHV2 and Something To Remember...

Guest dicktracy

I wish she would have spread them out to not water down their individual fabulousness by putting them next to each other, given there similar theme...

overall, i think it's a great tracklist, but very lop-sided. as much as i love that she put in so many of the 80s classics that deserve greater recognition, i think she sorely neglected erotica...to not include deeper and deeper is tragic, and rain is one of her biggest hits in the u.s., and otherwise one of her best ballads

#14 is hardly one of the biggest.... otherwise it is one her best ballads.

Immaculate Collection will be kept alive with Rescue Me and the tracklist is in order vs this

jumbled tracklisting mess and glaring ommissions in Celebration.

Great Great Great GREAT! :wow:

Miles Away! :wow:

Thank God Miles Away made it on the list.

I love this song!!!!

Edited by Live It Up

Guest Danny86

Immaculate Collection will be kept alive with Rescue Me and the tracklist is in order vs this

jumbled tracklisting mess and glaring ommissions in Celebration.

As if the amount of people, who'd be concerned about tracklist order, was big enough to keep a CD alive in 2009. :lol:

#14 is hardly one of the biggest.... otherwise it is one her best ballads.

Sales may have kept it from charting higher, but it was a huge radio song in the U.S. During that era, it was the one song I could count on hearing on the radio until "I'll Remember" took over. Another big radio song as well. But now, those songs are rarely heard or talked about.

Wonder if WB will just use disc 1 for the single CD, or take tracks from both discs to make the single. Disc 1 actually wouldn't work bad as the representative; but, both discs have 10 TIC-era tracks, and they're separated enough that it makes them both indispensable (though I'd probably give the edge to disc 1's TIC-era).

Isn't Papa on disc 2?

It would be insane not to include that song on the single disc version.

Guest Danny86

Those ballads were big at radio and yes, apart from "Rain", they all sold well. But I thought it was clear by now that "Take A Bow" overshadows the rest, that was the most exposed song of hers back then and while it didn't sell a lot more than the others, it was the single that saved Madonna from having a downward trend in album sales. The rest of the songs, while played a lot and sold well because they were safe and tailor-made for radio, feel irrelevant next to "TAB".

Not only recurrent play reflects this, but Madonna herself has been almost completely ignoring this era, on tour she either does "Human Nature" in an otherwise hits filled show, a slowed down version of "Deeper And Deeper" or an Evita song instead of ANY of these songs. Madonna has long moved on and with her dance music obsession, I never expected these ballads to be "rediscovered". Nobody ever said it was to be a compilation called "Madonna's biggest chart hits" or "All of Madonna's US Top 10 hits"...

The likes of Whitney, Mariah or Celine scored several ballad hits like that in the 90s, but only a couple of them are still remembered, songs like "Exhale" or "My All" charted even better than Madonna's forgotten ballads, yet outside of fans, nobody cares about them, all these women have their signature ballad hits anyway. It's another story why they can't afford them to be left out from hits compilations though.