Mariah vs. Madonna

Guest dicktracy

Guest dicktracy

Mariah seems determined to stop Madonna from getting another #1 in the US. This time it's on the album charts. She tried with Touch My Body which wasn't necessary since 4 Minutes peaked at #3. Now, what do you think of this delay??

Mariah Carey Delays New Album Again

13-Aug-2009

Written by: Kris Lorenz

Highly anticipated album delayed again.

The release of Mariah Careys Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel will be pushed back from September 15 to the 29th.

Initial speculation of a delay was piqued when the singer cancelled her press dates to coincide with the original release date of August 25. She was to perform in New York on August 28 to debut some of the new tracks. This time, however, a statement on her Web site has stated that she is putting the finishing touches on her newest album . . . and we have shifted all of our TV and promo appearances to coincide with the new release date of August 29th.

Obsessed, the albums first single, has already created some controversy as many have speculated that the song is about ex-lover Eminem. She has maintained, however, that the song is not about the infamous rapper. The single debuted at No. 11 on Billboards Hot 100 chart.

The hype around Mariah's album isn't good hype. It feels as if this album is gonna be more on the flop side of things. Still, it IS a new album with all new material as opposed to a career retrospective so obviously Mariah will probably take the crown. However, I think there is a good chance Madonna's album may hang around the album charts longer.

Guest ursaminorjim

Oh, I'm sure Mariah wil be the bigger seller of the two, definitely. But I wouldn't be surprised if Barbra Streisand beats them both.

Oh, I'm sure Mariah wil be the bigger seller of the two, definitely. But I wouldn't be surprised if Barbra Streisand beats them both.

Oh yes....I forgot about her! lol. Yeah, she will probably be the silent killer in this battle!

I understand that GH collections don't usually top the charts especially in the US (even IC was #2).

But this a 2CD set. Doesn't it count as x2? In that case Mariah selling 300,000 = Madonna selling 150,000.

Oh yes....I forgot about her! lol. Yeah, she will probably be the silent killer in this battle!

LOL!

Anyway, I wish Mariah all the luck. It's not like her first single is burning up the charts and huge on radio. But in any event, she is what radio is still willing to play. I don't think pushing back the album is intentional simply to keep Madonna from getting a #1. Though, if Madonna really wants this GH's to go #1, she'll do some extra promotion in hopes it will. And the thing to remember is that the IMMACULATE COLLECTION didn't go to #1, yet it became a huge seller.

Guest ursaminorjim

Watch - it'll be one of those random things where Alice in Chains or AFI sweep in with ridiculous numbers, and Madonna squeaks in at, like, 22.

Guest Danny86

:chuckle:

3796603589_9616fa6831.jpg

Barbra's last album in 2005 opened at around 100,000. Madonna will most likely pass that, but I can't see her debuting with more than 200,000, while Mariah will be lot higher if she promotes a lot.

Oh and 50 Cent is also scheduled for this date, but his album had more delays than Mariah's.

Madonna is in a completely different league than MC. I don't think Madonna is thinking about if MC beats her position in the US while she is playing to huge crowds across the globe.

MC album is shapping up to be a complete diseaster. It's one thing to delay an album before releasing the lead single. But to delay it twice after the first release hits radio is not a good sign. I think MC realizes that her time on radio in the US is coming to an end. And lets face it, the US is her largest market. Outside the US she is not a force.

Guest Danny86

Am I the only one who thinks Madonna's GH won't debut with over 100 K?

Well that can happen, but I think it will do better than that. Even though there might not be a single on radio to promote it, there will be a video and the buzz is definitely more positive than GHV2, and people might want to "rediscover" her hits. I think 150k would be reasonable.

Amazon is nothing to base prediction over. It's all about itunes.

Anyway, I agree I think she would pull around 200k.

I'm sure she'll do fine. Immaculate Collection did not reach #1, but I'm sure it outsold whomever album that went to #1 at the time. It has sold nearly 30 million copies currently. Madonna is a world-wide seller as Mariah is mostly a U.S. artist. Whether Madonna reaches #1 (which I doubt being it's a collection), she will most likely outsell whomever is at #1 again in the long run. I'd rather have a lower charting album, selling a shit load throughout time than a high charter that outsells the current albums of the week only to tank in sales in the long run. We've seen that with albums from Madonna (American Life and Hard Candy) which reached #1 when it was first released, but never reached selling a million copies in the U.S.

Guest Danny86

Amazon is nothing to base prediction over. It's all about itunes.

Actually iTunes does not mean much for album sales, HC actually broke a record for most digital copies sold in a week and that was only about 25% of its first week total (around 73k out of 282k).

Jesus Christ, another Alice in CHains LP? :blink: I must look into this.

I'm thinking Barbra will pull ahead of them both. Mariah's album doesn't have incredible buzz, Madonna's is a GH and they usually do better in long hauls rather than opening weeks, and, well, no one gives a shit about 50 cent anymore.

It's been a while since Barbra has opened big and she's been out of the limelight for a while... plus her new record is produced by Diana Krall and the sound caters to the core of her fanbase, and i think it's possible for her to do upwards of 200K in her opening week.

Guest simone

WE CAN'T COMPARE MARIAH VS MADONNA CD... ALL WE KNOW THAT MARIAH HAD ALWAYS OPENING NUMBERS THAN MADONNA!!!! AND MARIAH CD HAVE NEW MATERIAL AND OBSESSED IS ON #11 IN bb WHILE MADONNA IS A COMPILATION AND CELEBRATION SINGLE IS 100000 ON BB ???? IHIHIH

Guest nothingfails0603

I've heard that Sony will stop at nothing so Barbra can continue her streak of #1's so she can have one this decade (as she topped the charts in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's) so I have a feeling she could pull an upset, especially since this era looks like Glitter II for Marrah and while Celebration will have stable sales, GH albums don't have huge debuts.

WE CAN'T COMPARE MARIAH VS MADONNA CD... ALL WE KNOW THAT MARIAH HAD ALWAYS OPENING NUMBERS THAN MADONNA!!!! AND MARIAH CD HAVE NEW MATERIAL AND OBSESSED IS ON #11 IN bb WHILE MADONNA IS A COMPILATION AND CELEBRATION SINGLE IS 100000 ON BB ???? IHIHIH

:sneaky:

Guest nothingfails0603

Also guys, don't forget what comes out one week earlier...

yoko__.jpg

Yoko is such a megastar that she could probably hold the top spot through Christmas :thumbsup:

:D ^^^^

I plan to buy both Mariah's and Madonna's albums. I like Babs too. But, I want to hear some songs first before I buy her album.