What's Madonna's Best Ever Album?

Cherish

Guest Johnkm

Oh the IMPOSSIBLE question

Ray Of Light would probably get my vote for being the best, but Erotica, Confessions, Like A Prayer and Madonna are all about equal with it really.

I've always loved Like A Prayer and considered it my favorite with Ray of Light a close second. But the last couple of years I find myself more attached to ROL, so I think it's time I just go ahead and make it official and say that RAY OF LIGHT is my Favorite Madonna album of all time!

I never can answer this question. I try to, but just can't. Each album has a number of fantastic songs. I even try to condense it down to which album I listen to the most, and honestly there isn't one album I listen more than the other. I usually listen to Madonna at random. I just pull up her whole catalog and just let them play at random. I will admit that I favor a lot of her earlier albums than later. It just depends on my mood.

Lyrically, her three best are probably "Ray Of Light", "Like A Prayer" and "American Life" albums. Of course the latter two, have a few clunkers in my opinion. Though, "Like A Prayer" still is an album I adore.

Guest ursaminorjim

I never can answer this question. I try to, but just can't. Each album has a number of fantastic songs. I even try to condense it down to which album I listen to the most, and honestly there isn't one album I listen more than the other. I usually listen to Madonna at random. I just pull up her whole catalog and just let them play at random...

Well, a great album is more than the sum of its parts. You should do yourself a favor and listen to them as albums again sometime. It makes a huge difference in some cases. I mean, even comparatively weak songs are often elevated due to their function within the whole. A song like "Express yourself" is fine on its own, if a little disposeable. But as the connective tissue between the ecstatic gothic celebration of "Like a prayer" and the thickly coiled, slow-motion fuck-fight of "Love song?" It's indispensible. Its lyrical POV splits the difference between the two and asserts the album as a statement of self. Plus its sonic brightness and sense of playfulness makes a great contrast as well, especially considering all the rough waters that follow later in the album.

It is a difference if you name Madonna's best album or your personal favorite.

The two best albums are LAP and ROL. My favorites are LAP and Erotica.

Well, it's always subjective isn't it? You really can't expect any fan to answer this question without answering with their own personal fav, right? ;)

Guest Qbanito21

1. Confessions On A Dance Floor

2. Like A Virgin

3. Madonna

4. Ray Of Light

5. American Life

6. Hard Candy

7. True Blue

8. Like A Prayer

9. Music

10.Erotica

11.Bedtime Stories

Guest Drowned Bedtime

Artistically speaking, her best is more a period than a single album. Like a Prayer to Ray of Light was her greatest artistic period, even if a lot of bedtime Stories was less then engaging. It's pretty obvious of the 4 albums in that period, Like a Prayer and Ray of Light are the two best.

It is a difference if you name Madonna's best album or your personal favorite.

The two best albums are LAP and ROL. My favorites are LAP and Erotica.

Yeah, i didnt really think of it like that.

When saying album, do we mean studio album? Or any collection of Madonna songs in general that has been released on compact disc?

Studio album; Bedtime Stories

Non-studio album; GHV2

It's hard to put American Life, Confessions On A Dancefloor and Hard Candy onto the list, not because they arent good albums but because they havent had a chance yet to age and for us to see whether they can stand the test of time etc...

Guest Borderline

If I were suggesting to someone who was considering purchasing their first Madonna album what to buy, I would suggest that the best Madonna album is The Immaculate Collection; despite it being a greatest hits compilation. It is THE quintessential Madonna record to have.

I personally think the 'Like A Prayer' album as a whole isn't as strong as Madonna, True Blue or Ray Of Light; but then again, it's all subjective and based solely on opinion. This question will only stir pots.