Slovenia Dumps Madonna

Guest dicktracy

Guest dicktracy

Slovenia Dumps Madonna

by Music-News.com - August 9 2009

Madonna has been forced to cancel a scheduled concert in Slovenia after failing to sell 10% of the tickets for the show.

According to E!, the gig, part of her 'Sticky & Sweet’ world tour, in the nation's capital city of Ljubljana on August 20, has now been scrapped.

Despite organisers Live Nation citing the cancellation was due to "unforeseen logistical difficulties", it was speculated that the show was scrapped due to low ticket sales.

Slovenian media outlets are reporting that 7,000 tickets were purchased for the 63,000-seat arena.

Laszlo Borsos, the managing director of Live Nation's Budapest firm, said: "There is no problem with ticket sales - absolutely."

Who told her to go there in the first place? Do they even know who she is? What a fuck up country!

Who told her to go there in the first place? Do they even know who she is? What a fuck up country!

Tell me about. I live in Slovenia and what pisses me the most is they should have canceled the show a month earlier and I could at least have gonna to Udine witch is and 2 hour drive from Ljubljana.

Guest Andy_Bird

Slovenian media outlets are reporting that 7,000 tickets were purchased for the 63,000-seat arena.

"7,000, 15,000, over 20,000, over 30,000 tickets sold for Ljubljana concert" all that being reported by different outlets. Of course, most tabloid websites will jump at the lowest number since it's the best one for yellow press.

The most reliable Slovene newspaper, Delo, reports that 24,672 tickets have been sold for the concert.

Anyway "FLOP TOUR".

Doesn't make sense that they'd cancel it now though. Surely if only 10% were sold they'd have cancelled the gig a long time ago?

I'm of the same mind. I really don't think she sold 7,000 tickets, and I am more apt to believe the 20,000+ number. If she had only sold 7,000, the concert would've been canceled just like Hamburg or the second Manchester date and moved to Zagreb or even somewhere in Greece. I don't know what the "logistical difficulties" might be though.

Perhaps it was the promoters who pulled the plug? The one for Zaragoza admitted he would lose money selling little more than half the 50,000 tickets released. Perhaps the promoters in Ljubljana weren't willing to take that kind of risk. Shitty of them to cancel so close to the actual date though.

Guest Danny86

Happened 3 days ago. :p

Like I said in the itineary thread, Madonna and LN gets a fixed fee if a concert is held. So if LN was afraid to put Madonna in front of a few people, then they would indeed have cancelled it before the tour started.

However, the promoter most likely could not sell enough tickets to reach that money he would have needed to pay Madonna & LN, so pulled the plug.

The only other possible reason is that LN realized none of these Eastern European dates are selling extraordinary well, so they "sacrificed" one date and make the fans go to Budapest or Belgrade. After the venue drama in Budapest, it would have looked weird to cancel that one, while the Ljubljana date was never talked about outside fans...

According to E!, the gig, part of her 'Sticky & Sweet’ world tour, in the nation's capital city of Ljubljana on August 20, has now been scrapped.

"Ljubljana" is a REAL country? :confused:

At first I thought dicktracy made up this story by simply pressing any keys to create the country "Ljubljana" :crazy:

Why did she pick that weird place to begin with? It's crazy how she picks these strange countries where she's not very popular,while ignoring places like Australia who would welcome her with open arms.She could sellout a weeks' worth of shows in Australia!

Guest Danny86

^Live Nation picked it because she never toured there, like most of the cities on this tour. Would have been minimal cost to take it to Slovenia since almost whole Eastern Europe is covered anyway.

Guest dicktracy

"Ljubljana" is a REAL country? :confused:

At first I thought dicktracy made up this story by simply pressing any keys to create the country "Ljubljana" :crazy:

:lol:

Tell me about. I live in Slovenia and what pisses me the most is they should have canceled the show a month earlier and I could at least have gonna to Udine witch is and 2 hour drive from Ljubljana.

McKay, how do you pronounce the name of your capital city? Lyoob lya na?

Why did she pick that weird place to begin with? It's crazy how she picks these strange countries where she's not very popular,while ignoring places like Australia who would welcome her with open arms.She could sellout a weeks' worth of shows in Australia!

Australia is a bit further down my friend.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I don't think this is a total surprise. This tour had to have reached a saturation point some time between all the dates in Europe in 2008 and now this year. It's a wonder she's been able to "sell out" as many as she has.

According to Wikipedia's WAV sound, it is pronounced YUB'-yanna. Kind of sounds like Ewok language.

I actually feel bad for the fans in this country. Slovenia may not be world-renown or a popular touring destination, but it's virgin territory for Madonna and that is always exciting for me. Sometimes you never know how great a show might be in a new city (St. Petersburg anyone?) until you actually see her perform there.

And just as I was happy for Zaragoza that they got to keep their concert, I would've been happy for the fans in Slovenia to keep theirs.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

That's what she gets for going to random places like Lopsideia and Prestopija. Come to Australia cunt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media:Ljubljana-2.ogg - here he says it right.

That Madonna is not coming to Ljubljana shouldn't have been a surprise form me cuz all big concerts in Ljubljana cancel cuz they don't sell enough tickets - you know what they say life's a bitch so fuck it.

Like I said, MJ canceled 4 the same reason in '97..it's not a strong market.

BUT Live Nation should know that.

&

U gotta love people 4 thinking other countries but theirs r random places.. :lmao: