Would AL (the single) have been huge in the US if not for the uberpatriotism movement in 2003?

Guest nothingfails0603

Guest nothingfails0603

I know that a lot of people hate the song, but let's face it, Take A Bow is generally hated here and it was her longest running US #1.

Hearing AL come on my itunes makes me wonder if America wasn't moving towards a fascist Dictator Bush direction in 2003 (just look what it did to the Dixie Chicks) if American Life would've been as huge as "Music" upon release. Yes, the song is shit but it seemed like the type of song that would've reached out to a huge audience that doesn't usually buy Madonna (like TAB, Music or 4 Minutes) and could've been a huge hit in 2003. Of course, American "Patriotism" was at its worst in 2003 and the controversial video worked against the song and album even if she pulled it before it aired.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that people thought it was a SHIT song, controversial video or not, patriotism movement or not.

In fact, without the headline making video, the song may have been forgotten even faster.

I like it personally, but nearly every Madonna fan i knew back then thought it was such a pile of sheep excrement.

I never thought it was that bad..

just the rap part is silly but overall it's a pretty cool song actually..

modern production that is still more modern than most of the radio songs today

but huge maybe not.. but bigger hit for sure

Guest nothingfails0603

the song is shit and unappealing.... but in 2003-2004, unappealing shit was what sold and this song seemed like it could've at least had some frontloaded novelty success. Remember when Usher was #1 for like 32 weeks in 2004? :lmao:

Guest ursaminorjim

To answer the question - no. It was a clunker of a song with a feeble "Look at how provocative I am!" video that was utterly hollow. Perhaps if anyone had fallen for the engineered controversy of the video they might've investigated the song, but...well, jokey or not, the rap would've turned probably any potential listeners away.

But, hey - why dwell? We've had at least ten stone classics that have wiped away any bad aftertaste of Amierican Life that may have lingered. Onward and upward!

Guest nothingfails0603

but...well, jokey or not, the rap would've turned probably any potential listeners away.

Honestly, it was the shitty rap part that I thought could've given the song some huge novelty appeal when it came out.... I was wrong :lmao:

Guest ursaminorjim

I love the first half of the rap, myself. But when it goes from satirical to sincere...a shambles.

And anyone who would seriously use the lyric, "Nothing is what it seems" deserves a slap. :lol:

I think had Hollywood been released (or Love Profusion,Nothing Fails) as the first single it probably would have seen alot more success they should have just left AL as an album track. I personally like AL and can actually understand some of the more "artistic" ideas behind it but it was not a good single choice.

Guest ursaminorjim

The weirdest thing about the song is that it's the obvious first single choice. I honestly don't think any other song on the album would've worked as well as a stand-alone introduction of intent. But I think that ties in more with the album just being a sonic mess. "American life" is one of the few songs that has an organic range of sounds - it has dynamics that make sonic sense. Most everything else just pedals along the same bandwidth for the duration of the song.

I still believe that she should've sent the album out to remixers, kept away from it entirely, and added her version of the album as a second disc of demos.

I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that people thought it was a SHIT song, controversial video or not, patriotism movement or not.

In fact, without the headline making video, the song may have been forgotten even faster.

I like it personally, but nearly every Madonna fan i knew back then thought it was such a pile of sheep excrement.

I have to agree with CUBB. I personally like the song as well, but everything he said was like hitting the nail directly on the head!

Guest superman

yeah, yeah, we keep all saying how much we love CELEBRATION single, - but no oe made a request.

I've been calling this radio station since this morning, finally DJ played her song - once, in the morning and thats it. i was listening the whole day starting morning 'till 8 at night - but i had noticed the brand new ones are always played on the air. like Shakira's new single, been played every 20 minutes, as well, Lady Gaga feat Wale song, Kanye West song, its been played over and over again.. whats goin on?? the next day Madonna song did not play, and again i called the DJ. but the end of the day - its none!!

okey, dont be surprised if her song FLOP on the radio airplay!! - so we should keep requesting her song and be nice to the radio DJ'S... CAN I SAY CELEBRATION SINGLE SOON TO BE FLOPPED!! - Mariah will be so happy!!!

Guest ursaminorjim

And really, anyone who was caught up in that rush of jingoism (NOT patriotism, thanks) enough to tailor their music-buying habits based on the artist's political views? Wasn't going to buy a Madonna album anyway.

Guest superman

when Britney single came out on the radio airplay - IT WAS A MASSIVE!! play every 10 minutes. wow!!

when Rihanna single came out - again same thing!! it was a blast!!! and so as Lady Gaga!!!

but Madonna? mmmm it was very quiet.. dead!

Guest ursaminorjim

yeah, yeah, we keep all saying how much we love CELEBRATION single, - but no oe made a request.

I've been calling this radio station since this morning, finally DJ played her song - once, in the morning and thats it. i was listening the whole day starting morning 'till 8 at night - but i had noticed the brand new ones are always played on the air. like Shakira's new single, been played every 20 minutes, as well, Lady Gaga feat Wale song, Kanye West song, its been played over and over again.. whats goin on?? the next day Madonna song did not play, and again i called the DJ. but the end of the day - its none!!

okey, dont be surprised if her song FLOP on the radio airplay!! - so we should keep requesting her song and be nice to the radio DJ'S... CAN I SAY CELEBRATION SINGLE SOON TO BE FLOPPED!! - Mariah will be so happy!!!

Oooh, which Kanye song?

when Britney single came out on the radio airplay - IT WAS A MASSIVE!! play every 10 minutes. wow!!

when Rihanna single came out - again same thing!! it was a blast!!! and so as Lady Gaga!!!

but Madonna? mmmm it was very quiet.. dead!

Because most radio programmers don't see her as sellable to a youth audience. Doesn't matter if the song is what they'd like, it's the image. Madonna's simply too old and not sexy enough for their imagined audience.

Oh, and I think you're in the wrong thread, dear.

The weirdest thing about the song is that it's the obvious first single choice. I honestly don't think any other song on the album would've worked as well as a stand-alone introduction of intent. But I think that ties in more with the album just being a sonic mess. "American life" is one of the few songs that has an organic range of sounds - it has dynamics that make sonic sense. Most everything else just pedals along the same bandwidth for the duration of the song.

I still believe that she should've sent the album out to remixers, kept away from it entirely, and added her version of the album as a second disc of demos.

IMO Hollywood could have been the lead single and the Re-invention tour was amazing (far better than the DWT IMO) so at least there's that.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I liked Hollywood, but i thought it was a poor single choice. It's not strong enough to lead a WHOLE album.

I loved AL at the time and still do.....both the Single and the Album. I think it's Madonna's most under-rated single and album. And yeah, the song and album probably would have done better if it weren't for the "timing" of it and the war.

And for as many posts as you have at this place, this is such an amatuer thread.

I don't think it's an "amature" thread. What the? Let's see you start something.

NF, good thread and I'm glad you started it.