Madonna's worst lyrics

Narendra Sen

IMO the worst lyrics from M are 'and I know i can feel bad/when I get in a bad mood' (from Love Profusion)

they just don't make any sense to me and it kinda ruins the whole song -- when I listen to it, I start liking it, but then i remember that at some point she is going to sing those lines :electropop:

so what are the most embarrassing/dull/uninspired lyrics from our Queen? :demonic:

Entire American Life album for starters

Her lyrics have been going downhill since Music. She's been especially uninspired lately.

I kind of agree... It's like she's been channeling Dr. Seuss for the past few years.

I'm drinking a Soy latte,

I get a double shotte,

It goes through my body,

And you know I'm satisfied

I drive my Mini Cooper

And I'm feeling super-dooper

Yo they tell I'm a trooper

I do yoga and Pilates

And the room is full of hotties

So I'm checking out the bodies

I'm digging on the isotopes

This metaphysics shit is dope

And if all this can give me hope

You know I'm satisfied

I got a lawyer and a manager

An agent and a chef

Three nannies, an assistant

And a driver and a jet

A trainer and a butler

And a bodyguard or five

A gardener and a stylist

Do you think I'm satisfied?

I'd like to express my extreme point of view

I'm not Christian and I'm not a Jew

I'm just living out the American dream

And I just realised that nothing

Is what it seems

The only ones that ever really grated on me are the cliche "moth to a flame" line in the otherwise flawless THANTH.

And the bridge to NRM ... "nothing takes the past away, like the future ..."

Oh, I think American Life album has some great lyrics: Nothing Fails, Mother And Father, Nobody Knows Me, EASY RIDE, even Die Another Day.

I guess I judge lyrics differently. A lot of people detest WIFLFAG, but I find the lyrics very evocative and touching. I really like the line "hands that rest on jutting hips, repenting."

I don't mind the Mother And Father lyrics, the rhythm of "rap" sounds like a nursery rhyme to me so it works in context.

The ones that stick out for me are "I was special too" in X-Static Process and "here is the law of the land, you play with fire and you'll get burned, here is the lesson I've learned that, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone" from the execrable One More Chance. How many cliches can you cram in one bridge?

It seems to be pretty common to say that her lyrics are rubbish these days, and I think it's such a trite, lazy opinion. Songs like 'Devil Wouldn't Recognise You' and 'Voices' on 'Hard Candy' have lyrics that are absolutely brilliant for pop songs. Even songs like 'Give It To Me' and 'Sorry' have great little pop lyrics. I could very easily pick songs from her early albums and use it to argue that her lyrics were rubbish then which is what tends to happen with her latter-day work.

It seems to be pretty common to say that her lyrics are rubbish these days, and I think it's such a trite, lazy opinion. Songs like 'Devil Wouldn't Recognise You' and 'Voices' on 'Hard Candy' have lyrics that are absolutely brilliant for pop songs. Even songs like 'Give It To Me' and 'Sorry' have great little pop lyrics. I could very easily pick songs from her early albums and use it to argue that her lyrics were rubbish then which is what tends to happen with her latter-day work.

:thumbsup:

Hell, yeah, Devil and Voices have AMAZING lyrics. So damn good. Same goes for a lot of more recent material.

:thumbsup:

Hell, yeah, Devil and Voices have AMAZING lyrics. So damn good. Same goes for a lot of more recent material.

The Voices lyrics are great ! :thumbsup:

Guest gloriesbarcelona
Entire American Life album for starters

WHAT?????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

NO COMMENT....

Ring ring ring goes the telephone :chuckle:

Spanish lesson for a spanish speaker... well... no words for it...

Oh, I think American Life album has some great lyrics: Nothing Fails, Mother And Father, Nobody Knows Me, EASY RIDE, even Die Another Day.

I guess I judge lyrics differently. A lot of people detest WIFLFAG, but I find the lyrics very evocative and touching. I really like the line "hands that rest on jutting hips, repenting."

Madge didn't write Nothing Fails, Jem did. Except I think Madge added the bit about the tree of life, which IS shit.

I LOVE the lyrics to WIFLFAG. I don't want to MEET anyone who doesn't, that is an amazing song. 'Hurt that's not supposed to show and tears that fall when no-one knows, when you're trying hard to be your best, could you be a little less?' :(

The lyrics have been getting steadily worse. The whole of Candy shop -what a tired tawdry bunch of overused shitty cliches. 'See my booty get down' is just bizarre, just on a purely feminine level of showing off your best asset. Madonna has the arse of a Nigerian long distance runner. It's likely to inspire admiration but hardly lust. Surely if she wants to shove her sexual attributes in people's faces she'd give a shout out to her brilliant buoyant rack. As it is you just think -what booty? :confused:

I love Love Profusion though, ESPECIALLY the bad mood bit. It's cute.

Celebration's lyrics are some of the most trite for quite a while. Whilst I applaud the attempt to weave in references to old songs, I think she has done it in the laziest way possible and some of it doesn't even rhyme. As for the line "invitation to the dance of life"? Sounds like something 2Unlimited would have sung about in '93.

Yeah, and I agree on Candy Shop - Turkish Delight and Candy Galore? :nocomment: I much prefer Niki and Donna's "I've got the moves baby, you've got the lotion".

Guest travelinstillness

her lyrics have steadily gone downhill since Erotica. They lack structure. Sometimes it works for a song and sometimes it doesn't. She's had some rebounds here and there, and I actually think most of the lyrics on Hard Candy are a return to form. but the songs with the weakest lyrics are Hey You which was probably written by Lola for her My First Poetry Class (Madonna may care about the human race- and that's arguable- but she has a very hard time getting her point across in lyrics showing her concern). Another song that truly disappoints me lyrically is Nobody's Perfect. When I heard about the song title before hearing the song in full, I was actually expecting something with deep, heartfelt lyrics and instead all we got was "I feel so bad" "I feel so sad" and other lame rhyming schemes. Once again- I'm sure this time she was inspired by one of Lola's My First Goldenbooks. Or Dr. Suess.

Edited by travelinstillness

her lyrics have steadily gone downhill since Erotica. They lack structure. Sometimes it works for a song and sometimes it doesn't. She's had some rebounds here and there, and I actually think most of the lyrics on Hard Candy are a return to form. but the songs with the weakest lyrics are Hey You which was probably written by Lola for her My First Poetry Class (Madonna may care about the human race- and that's arguable- but she has a very hard time getting her point across in lyrics showing her concern). Another song that truly disappoints me lyrically is Nobody's Perfect. When I heard about the song title before hearing the song in full, I was actually expecting something with deep, heartfelt lyrics and instead all we got was "I feel so bad" "I feel so sad" and other lame rhyming schemes. Once again- I'm sure this time she was inspired by one of Lola's My First Goldenbooks. Or Dr. Suess.

I agree. I long for the days when she would write brilliant lyrics like, "Shoo bee doo bee doo ooh la la, come to me baby/Shoo bee doo bee doo ooh la la, don't say maybe" and "There's hunger everywhere/We've got to take a stand/Reach out for someone's hand/Love makes the world go round" or even "Can't stop thinking about you babe, can't stop/Can't stop screaming and shouting your name, can't stop/Look out boy 'cause I'm going to the top/Of your list, can't stop".

Songs like 'Bad Girl' or 'Secret Garden' on 'Erotica' just cannot compare to these.

LAP Erotica and BS have her best lyrics. ROL was where it all started going wrong. They were stilted and cliche ridden.

I don't think I agree with that. I think ROL and Music had some great lyrics. I think American Life, much as I embrace and accept alot of it's child-like-ness, was where the lyrical weaknesses started to show, maybe because Madonna's songwriting collabarator was a French speaker, so she couldn't count on solid support as with Pat Leonard for example, I think she struggled. Even so there are some lovely bits.