'Like a Prayer' appreciation thread

Etips

Madonna%20-%20Like%20A%20Prayer.jpg

1989-madonna-songtalk-03.jpglap14.jpglapcap07.jpgmadonna1l.jpg
MadonnaLikeaPrayerOuttake.jpgpepsi4.jpgrs89032.jpgrs89033.jpg

Madonna looks ten times better as a brunette. I wish she'd ease up on the blond bombshell thing. I also wish she had kept her hair long and dark for the duration of the entire Like a Prayer era.

Favorite songs:
• Like a Prayer
• Cherish
• Express Yourself
• Keep It Together

Dunno why... but Madonna being serious for a whole album does not do it for me! :provoke:

My favourite song is Cherish. I really do not know why it was not a HUGE hit, because the lyrics and beat were one of Madonna's best.

However, this era's videos were very very iconic. LAP... EY... OF...

They were great videos that cemented the fact that M can be a serious artist.

Overall... this album was kind of a downer for me after the fast pace fun of True Blue, but the videos were miles better and Cherish beats any song on TB but OYH!

th_1989-madonna-songtalk-03.jpgth_lap14.jpgth_lapcap07.jpgth_madonna1l.jpg

th_MadonnaLikeaPrayerOuttake.jpgth_pepsi4.jpgth_rs89032.jpgth_rs89033.jpg

Madonna looks ten times better as a brunette. I wish she'd ease up on the blond bombshell thing. I wish she had kept her hair long and dark for the duration of the entire Like a Prayer era.

Too right. Her look here and those photos are the best thing ever. :vanitybonet: :wow::dramatic:

Voted for Like A Prayer as favorite song, with Oh Father in second place.

Just because Like A Prayer is such a versatile song, with so many different good versions/performances and Oh Father only works as a ballad.

Guest Pud Whacker

one of her best albums. it was all leading up to this. everyone was infatuated with madonna, then she became an international star during the who's that girl tour and by the time 89 rolled around, people wanted to be let inside. it was perfect.

Like a Prayer is simply the greatest song ever. It is my favorite Madonna song, and my favorite song ever. It's just brilliant, and the music video is incredible in every way. I love this entire album, it flows really well and shows that Madonna can be a serious artist. A masterpiece in every way.

Guest thehiltonsuite
NME review

lapcartoon.jpg

lapnme.jpg

That's a great review, but I wouldn't call Michael Jackson an ordinary pop tart. That's stupid.

Guest Pud Whacker
That's a great review, but I wouldn't call Michael Jackson an ordinary pop tart. That's stupid.

but he was. even before his sacred death.

anyway, that review rock'd it. :thumbsup:

Ah, Spring 1989. A young Dr Lecter had just got his results from his 11 PLus (UK exam you take at, erm, 11) and as a reward MAMA LECTER said i could have anything i wanted (within reason, she still is a bit of a tight bitch)..so i got the LIKE A PRAYER album...and to this day, that smell of Patcholi oil reminds me of it, and my album sleeve still smells of it

And who can forget the premier of the Pepsi ad...LUSH

GO AHEAD, MAKE A WISH

The world was in awe of Micheal's talent, intrigued by his reclusive persona but MJ would never b a 'threatening' performer like Madonna. Of course NME would consider MJ a poptart in the '80's...I think his music had 2 become retro 4 them say something nice about him.

Guest Sephyr
Too right. Her look here and those photos are the best thing ever. :vanitybonet: :wow::dramatic:

She does look pretty with this color hair! I like the look on her too

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

A good artistic jump for her, but an overrated album.

It has some nice moments: Prayer, Promise To Try, Oh Father. Some decent but average moments: Spanish Eyes, Keep It Together. And some really shit moments: Cherish [never liked it], Love Story [which is a tuneless MESS].

I always felt like i needed to BE there at the time when it launched to understand it's impact. Hearing it later on though, i can't say i was ever blown away by it.

Some good songs though.

Love the review! :thumbsup: Still sad that Cherish wasn't #1! Stupid Janet!

Not stupid Janet, try stupid America.

Express Yourself and Cherish should be #1.

Madonna at her best without being pretentious like Ray of Light

this album is so fucking amazing , and it is totally Madonna , love it love it love it :thumbsup:

and the title song is one of the best songs ever made , so is the video

every song is great , even spanish eyes and love song , Madonna and Prince are great together and so compatible not like Mike and Madonna :vomit: