Celebration on iTunes

sniper

To celebrate the milestone of surpassing over a million followers to its Twitter page, Amazon is offering a free MP3 download of any song up to $1.29!

Click here and follow the directions to apply the code FIRSTMIL to your account which will give you a $1.29 credit for an MP3 download. Then find OBSESSED and download!

Amazon's promotional offer is valid from Sept. 3, 2009 12:00am PDT through Sept. 6, 2009 11:59pm PDT. Downloads will count toward the Billboard Hot 100 so get "Obsessed" now!

I'm confused...

Wrong! Just like airplay which is free it counts when an agreement has been made!

June 4 2005

THE ISSUE OF FREE DOWNLOADS

Dear Fred,

Recently, you said that free downloads for specific songs issued by a label do not count toward the Hot 100 chart.

Last week, Mariah Carey saw over a 100% rise in downloads. This can be attributed mostly to the remix of the song "We Belong Together" which was available exclusively on iTunes and was made available for free at Carey's official Web site, www.mariahcarey.com.

According to reported numbers, the remix of "We Belong Together" sold 27,000 copies, outdoing the original, even though it never once broke [the] top 50 on iTunes. This is impossible given that the original version of the song sold less and was sitting up in the top 30 all week.

According to the iTunes discount purchase plan, a label has to purchase 25,000 copies of a single to offer it to fans for free. Are you sure that Billboard didn't accidentally count these singles when [compiling] the Hot 100?

Mathematically, something doesn't add up.

Laney Barber

Dear Laney,

I did state Billboard policy last week regarding free downloads not being counted for the Hot 100. Your e-mail and others like it prompted me to ask Billboard's director of charts, Geoff Mayfield, about "We Belong Together."

I hope you will appreciate Geoff's response, as he is as concerned about the accuracy of all Billboard charts as much as you and I, if not more. Here's what Geoff had to say:

In these fast-changing times, there are rare occasions when we have to adjust chart rules on the fly. At the point when Fred asked me about free downloads last week, it was the not the intention of either Nielsen SoundScan or Billboard to include free downloads in our tabulation of Hot Digital Songs, The Billboard Hot 100 or the Pop 100 unless they met the conditions that we outlined: that the merchant gets paid full price and the consumer can use the premium to buy any available download.

However, as the day wore on, it became apparent we did not have a sufficient filter in place to enforce that policy until after the chart was tabulated, this after we had already held up processing more than 24 hours beyond normal deadlines. Had we been able to install that filter last week, Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" would not have risen to No. 1 on the Hot 100 until this week.

Now, the filter is in place. The policy that we stated in Fred's "Chart Beat Chat" last week and repeated above is becomes effective with this week's charts.

I wouldn't think any Amazon sales will count toward the charts, but consumers *do* have a choice over what they can download. But, the merchant isn't getting any $, so...

No matter in the Mimi case, though, as she should (finally) land her 27th top 10 on the Hot 100 next week. With a #6 digital peak (its first week) and #7 airplay (which likely will be its peak, as no track above it will drop to her level anytime soon), it's earned it.

Video sales do NOT count toward the Hot 100; iTunes is the only outlet selling music videos- it'sa mutual decision from both Billboard and iTunes that they do not count toward the charts.

Thanks for clarifying and to the others who also posted a reply :thumbsup:

However, as the day wore on, it became apparent we did not have a sufficient filter in place to enforce that policy until after the chart was tabulated, this after we had already held up processing more than 24 hours beyond normal deadlines. Had we been able to install that filter last week, Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" would not have risen to No. 1 on the Hot 100 until this week.

Ha. I wondered if We Belong Together really did have a bogus week at #1, thought it might still have been #1 without those free downloads.

Mimi and her record company are famous for using any tactics (including underhanded ones) to get a higher chart placing. She really is the queen of chart manipulation! Unfortunately for Mimi, it only really works on the US charts. That's why she can't emulate the same level of success anywhere else in the world!! LOL!!!

Mimi and her record company are famous for using any tactics (including underhanded ones) to get a higher chart placing. She really is the queen of chart manipulation! Unfortunately for Mimi, it only really works on the US charts. That's why she can't emulate the same level of success anywhere else in the world!! LOL!!!

.... pretty meaningless accomplishment and Mariah though does it far more than anyone else in the biz.. Well put my friend.

BILLBOARD HOT DIGITAL SONGS - TOP 50

(148) 104 MADONNA CELEBRATION 13808 +49% 9259 86581

COMMERCIAL SINGLES:

-- 1 SHAKIRA SHE WOLF 4,859 0 4,859

1 2 CAREY*MARIAH OBSESSED 3,011 -16 3,578 21,258

2 3 JAY-Z RUN THIS TOWN/D.O.A 2,858 -2 2,926 17,663

-- 4 BON JOVI WE WEREN'T 1,418 0 1,418

6 9 MADONNA CELEBRATION 616 -3 632 2,700

UK

Top Songs

13. Celebration - Madonna

71. Celebration - Madonna

114. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix Edit) - Madonna

121. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix) - Madonna

203. Celebration (Oakenfold Remix) - Madonna

774. Celebration (Oakenfold Remix Dub) - Madonna

iTunes Albums

1. Celebrations (Remixes) - Madonna

UK

Top Songs

13. Celebration - Madonna

71. Celebration - Madonna

114. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix Edit) - Madonna

121. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix) - Madonna

203. Celebration (Oakenfold Remix) - Madonna

774. Celebration (Oakenfold Remix Dub) - Madonna

iTunes Albums

1. Celebrations (Remixes) - Madonna

this is from the first day of sales?

:vanitybonet:

Today's itunes update

Uk :#9 #54

Austria: #19 #56 (BBRE)

Belgium #8

Denmark #7

Finland #1

France #15 :thumbsdown:

Germany #10 #99 (BBRE)

Greece #10 #99 (BBRE)

Ireland #18

Italy #5

Luxemburg #6

Nl #7

No #17

Pg #16

Sp #12

Sweden #8

Sw #6

Us NA:)

Well it drops everywhere maybe caused by pchisical sale

• 2 weeks later...

WB screw up the chance to top Germany & French chart again. :doh:

Definitely not France, their chart is a joke now, it's kind of Billboard's Hot Singles Sales, they don't take downloads into account (supposedly they are not notable enough for a country as big as France) and the #1 single possibly doesn't even sell 10k copies a week. When labels stop issuing physical singles, France might become a country like Russia or some Eastern European one that only has an airplay chart for singles, unless they make drastic changes in rules about illegal downloading.

OMG USA i-tunes just sent the Tuesday e-mail!

Picture3.png

i WONDER HOW DO U GET THIS WONDERFUL SHOT... :thumbsup:

BY THE WAY...DOES IT REALLY HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE CD TO BE INCLUDED ON THE TUESDAY EMAIL FROM ITUNES..?

DOES IT HAVE SOME SORT OF HELPING DONE ON THE ARTIST.?