Celebration on iTunes

sniper

Guest Bad Robot

She sold plenty of expensive concert tickets over the past 8 years and saw six of her singles miss the Hot 100 entirely -- the first time that had happened to her since 1982. It doesn't take a statistician to show you that there is no connection between selling concert tickets and selling singles.

But, I don't even know why this is a discussion point. You can see as clearly as I can that Celebration only briefly made the iTunes top 30 before plummeting and will be out of the top 100 shortly (if it's not out of there already).

I don't understand the negativity. Look what happened to She-Wolf. At first, it looked like it was going to flop, but after several interviews, promotion and the video, it is becoming a hit. I know that the market has changed and the singles need exposure to be sold. If there is no video, no interviews and the radio is not interested, it will go nowhere. But I think that there will be some promotion in September and the single will pick up. Maybe it won't be top 10, but at least top 40 is possible.

I don't understand the negativity. Look what happened to She-Wolf. At first, it looked like it was going to flop, but after several interviews, promotion and the video, it is becoming a hit. I know that the market has changed and the singles need exposure to be sold. If there is no video, no interviews and the radio is not interested, it will go nowhere. But I think that there will be some promotion in September and the single will pick up. Maybe it won't be top 10, but at least top 40 is possible.

I'm hoping that is the case. It's just not a good sign when it drops so fast from one of the biggest digital outlets.

I'm hoping that is the case. It's just not a good sign when it drops so fast from one of the biggest digital outlets.

Madonna and WBR shouldn't have let this happen. Say what you want about touring but the digital market is very important. It can keep her relevant with the younger audiences and the iTunes/iPhone generation. She had build good momentum there with Hung up and 4M and I hope not everything is lost now ...

I am certain there is still a WB plan . I mean they are releasing the video later in the month! The remix that is in the video will be released. Airplay will slowly climb. Maybe M will phone a few radio stations. The press will talk about the video. I still think we will all talk differently in a month or so.

"Celebration" has stop falling in the US itunes chart and is moving up again(up 10 spots in the past hour). Still outside the Top100 but a good sign...

she'll still go up once the album nears release i tell you...

Guest Danny86

I guess it'll be Monday then for the UK. Unless it's because Warner does not want it to be out when it's not even playlisted at Radio 1.

I actually think Warners are doing good here (for a change!)Its not playlisted and its getting okay-ish airplay so far. The video aint out and theres no other promo happening so it makes sense to hold it back for a bit. This is what they should have done for the rest of the world me thinks!

Guest Danny86

I agree, it's ridiculous how Warner never announces single release dates. We find out about iTunes when it's already available for purchase, and the physical dates are only appearing on HMV and Amazon. Currently there's no physical single listed on HMV by the way, even though it's only a month away.

I agree, it's ridiculous how Warner never announces single release dates. We find out about iTunes when it's already available for purchase, and the physical dates are only appearing on HMV and Amazon. Currently there's no physical single listed on HMV by the way, even though it's only a month away.

How is it any different with any other record company? I've never seen any special announcements made by other record companies for other artists who release singles? Certainly some artists do get special attention if their the latest flavor of the week, month or year. That's usually from the media.

Guest Danny86

How is it any different with any other record company? I've never seen any special announcements made by other record companies for other artists who release singles? Certainly some artists do get special attention if their the latest flavor of the week, month or year. That's usually from the media.

Mariah and IDJ comes to mind, they even announce the release of remixes hitting iTunes. Other artists have them on their own sites, nothing to do with the media. For Madonna it's been going on for most of the decade, they only say the radio premiere date and that's that.

But, the Wal-Mart exclusive single for Mimi's track was just tossed out there, and fans knew aboutit before there was an official announcement. lol Very unlike Mimi and her record label, to sneak it out there like that.

But, the Wal-Mart exclusive single for Mimi's track was just tossed out there, and fans knew aboutit before there was an official announcement. lol Very unlike Mimi and her record label, to sneak it out there like that.

Actually..i always get newsletters from Mariah's site outlining upcoming single/album releases.

Also..the Celebration physical single is listed on HMV for Monday 14th September 2009.

Mariah and IDJ comes to mind, they even announce the release of remixes hitting iTunes. Other artists have them on their own sites, nothing to do with the media. For Madonna it's been going on for most of the decade, they only say the radio premiere date and that's that.

But Madonna's website has announced it's release of "Celebration" as well. Warners may have not gone out of it's way to promote this single yet, but I really haven't seen much promotion behind Mariah's new single either.

Guest Danny86

But Madonna's website has announced it's release of "Celebration" as well. Warners may have not gone out of it's way to promote this single yet, but I really haven't seen much promotion behind Mariah's new single either.

No, the press release just stated the day when radio would start playing the song. Was the same with "4 Minutes". They don't build any anticipation and it either comes down to some local Warner division (which is NEVER the US or UK) or fans regularly checking iTunes, Amazon & HMV.

No, the press release just stated the day when radio would start playing the song. Was the same with "4 Minutes". They don't build any anticipation and it either comes down to some local Warner division (which is NEVER the US or UK) or fans regularly checking iTunes, Amazon & HMV.

I'm just trying to think like either a casual fan or non-fan here. And being that I don't follow Mariah Carey very much nor go to her site, I really haven't seen much promotion behind her stuff. I really think it's just the die hard fans who really see the announcements and stuff. It's not until you see the album and/or single being advertised either on the internet, TV or music stores (whatever ones are left). And I suspect for many musicians they have MTV and VH1 to rely on when they DO play videos.

My point is... I don't think casual to non-fans notice these press releases, etc. They only come across the stuff if they check out their favorite sites, or Itunes or Amazon which may feature new music.

My point is... I don't think casual to non-fans notice these press releases, etc. They only come across the stuff if they check out their favorite sites, or Itunes or Amazon which may feature new music.

exactly... especially the iTunes emailers... it reaches all users with iTunes accounts... that's why it was weird iTunes didn't send notifications that CELEBRATION is available for download, it could've definitely make a difference... well, it's obvious WBR changed their promo minds at the very last minute

neut- Mimi's video has been out for weeks now, got previewed on America's Got Talent, Mimi performed on that very show, she appeared on BET's 106 & Park to premiere the second "Obsessed" video and her label has been pushing the track at radio (why it's still climbing in airplay). So, alittle bit of difference between promo for the singles. :)

Rumos is the "Celebration" remixes will be on iTunes this coming week(which, would be typical WB planning, with the video not set to debut for another couple of weeks).

Guest beachboi-69

From what I understand this has not been serived to Pop radio.. Only Hot AC... Stations are playing it at there own choice.

There is no promotions what-so ever.

It would not suprise me if Revolver gets all the promo.

neut- Mimi's video has been out for weeks now, got previewed on America's Got Talent, Mimi performed on that very show, she appeared on BET's 106 & Park to premiere the second "Obsessed" video and her label has been pushing the track at radio (why it's still climbing in airplay). So, alittle bit of difference between promo for the singles. :)

Rumos is the "Celebration" remixes will be on iTunes this coming week(which, would be typical WB planning, with the video not set to debut for another couple of weeks).

Unfortunately (or is it fortunate? LOL), I don't watch those shows, nor listen to radio, so I guess that is why I don't hear much about her new stuff. But it only proves that unless your a big fan or looking for all these promotional gigs, the average guy doesn't see them. However, I do recognize "America's Got Talent" is probably a wise promotional gig being it's a popular show, so no doubt it will be seen by the average dude then let's say Bet's 106 and Park.