S&S in Udine, Italy - July 16, 2009

markm

From Italian forum:

VIP card holders entered and assisted Madonna rehearsing Frozen and Ray Of Light. She said hello and asked about extra requests expecially for them.

Seems like Willy Wonka (IGTTYAS) guy is in the audience..

Tonight during her concert in Udine just before "You Must Love Me" Madonna in tears said a few words about the tragedy that occured in Marseille this afternoon:

"Before I continue the show I want to take a moment to acknowledge and pay tribute to two people who lost their lives today. I don't know if you've heard. Two men building my show in Marseille where we're going next - the crane fell and we don't know why. (Madonna names them). I hate to be associated with suffering. I want to pay tribute to their families. Lets take a moment to appreciate our family, loved ones, friends around us".

Madonna cried throughout ''You Must Love Me'' and before "Ray of Light' she once again paid tribute to the two men saying "Let's give it up for the two Charlies".

Paolo from Madonnatribe:

It was a VERY emotional show.

Things started in laugh and pure joy for those who were let in at the end of the rehearsals - she had an amazing interaction with the fans and let them sing Ray of Light almost from start to end instead of singing it herself. She then told them "Thank you, very great crowd"

The news of the Marseille tragedy basically arrived a few minutes after the sound check was over. People started getting the news from text messages and phone calls. It was of course shocking and surreal, especially because Mario and me got to know immediately that Madonna was devastated as soon as she got the news and was working on a statement with Liz.

She didn't start late for the sake of it. At 9.30 it was definetly dark enough to begin the show - but the venue security told us that she was just sitting in her car instead of getting ready. I have no idea if she considered cancelling the Udine show (and most likely they knew it would have been a serious and also potentially dangerous thing to do with panic spreading in the audience) but I got the feeling she had to be talking about that with her inner circle for quite a long time.

When she showed up for Candy Shop she did not look "as usual" at all, you could definetly see the traces of what happened.

Also, more dancers joined Oakenfold before the show at the mixing desk - the impression I was under was that they wanted to get the audience vibe give them the strength to prerform the show.

And that is basically what happened. Madonna really did get strenght from the audience and I am sure she would not have been able to go on with the show if the fans' support wasn't so fierce.

and

Seriously, she was able to perform ONLY because of the fans support last night. You could feel that in a very sharp way - she was emotional from the beginning to the end (and didn't mention anything about the Marseille tragedy until YMLM - so the most of the audience probably did not know what happened in France 'til then) but she was literally sucking the energy that the fans in the front rows were inundating her with.

It was really surreal. It was us supporting her and never in my wildest dreams I had thought this could happen.

Saddest things sometimes bring the best out of you.

That said, I think it will be harder and harder for her to let the show go on - things like these hurt more at a distance.

madonna_tears_502.jpg

This is bad visual but at least you can hear her well.

Listen to the audience applauding in all the wrong spots,

I think they didnt understand what she was saying. they just heard France and they

got excited. I think its a definate language barrier.

Not to change the subject insensitively, but an Italian newspaper reports Udine had a crowd of about 35,000 people. Not bad - more than Detroit pulled in (if it holds up in the Boxscore report).

http://www.gazzettino.it/articolo.php?id=6...amp;sez=NORDEST

The stadium's capacity was reportedly 41,000 (according to Italian fans).

^^ So bizarre how the audience clap during that heartfelt speech. Her voice breaks during the muddle of it. It was sweet how the older guitar player touches her shoulder in the end.

Guest Madximo
^^ So bizarre how the audience clap during that heartfelt speech. Her voice breaks during the muddle of it. It was sweet how the older guitar player touches her shoulder in the end.

I was there front row (I was looking at this scene from behind) and yeah people clapped during her speech but you also need to know that a common (recent) habit in Italy is to clap hands at funerals, so that is also a way to acknowledge someone who has recently died. (Not that I like this way of expressing sorrow :/)

I too think it's a language barrier, they started clapping when she said "one of the cranes fell..."; it seemed they just didn't understand.

Guest Madximo

Ok that part they didn't understand anything, true, but there was a moment in which the entire stadium fell silent it was surreal

Not to change the subject insensitively, but an Italian newspaper reports Udine had a crowd of about 35,000 people. Not bad - more than Detroit pulled in (if it holds up in the Boxscore report).

http://www.gazzettino.it/articolo.php?id=6...amp;sez=NORDEST

The stadium's capacity was reportedly 41,000 (according to Italian fans).

That's for soccer matches, though, not concerts, and in any case, the stadium's Wikipedia entry says that at the moment, capacity is limited to 30 600 for soccer matches. All reports indicate that the place was as packed as all of her other shows on this leg, which have all been reported as having sold out (and visually, this looks to have been the case, too).

I was there front row (I was looking at this scene from behind) and yeah people clapped during her speech but you also need to know that a common (recent) habit in Italy is to clap hands at funerals, so that is also a way to acknowledge someone who has recently died. (Not that I like this way of expressing sorrow :/)

In fact it is one of the most stupid habits TV has taught us! :thumbsdown:

Guest Madximo

I was 3 metres from the stage (in line with left loudspeakers) and it was the first time ever I could get that close to it. They divided the floor into 2 parts (A and B), so those having the A ticket were at the front.

I have to say the crowd was made up mainly of casual fans or curious people so I didn't see the excitement I saw in Rome last year from the entire floor. E.g. only a few people danced all the time (me included), whereas some others were there with their arms crossed and only taking pictures/videos of her when she approched us. It was quite a shy audience from what I saw; I suppose the real fans went to Milan because it was announced first. But still, it gave me the chance to be there under the stage :)

All the stadium was packed - I couldn't see empty space on the terraces all around so I guess it was not sold out but still selling strongly (consider she played Milan 2 days before with 55K people and she will play Ljubljiana 100km from here in August).

Madonna was professional as always and her voice sounded like it was in a good shape even during YMLM although she got really emotional and nearly bursted into tears again.

At last I got the chance to appreaciate the entire choreography and costumes - it was amazing!!

Guest Madximo
In fact it is one of the most stupid habits TV has taught us! :thumbsdown:

It really is!! I so hate it. I prefer silence to pay respect to someone who has died. Why do we need to make noise!?