Stage for Madonna's show in Marseilles collapses, two dead

Guest ursaminorjim

yes. it seems the fault is of one of those cranes fallen on the stage....it's been clear from the beginning, reading the news...

hor revolver, get over yourself. you are trying to stir shit for nothing, don't you have someting better to do. anyway either tou are deaf, or blind or just plain illiterate

read the posts!

dang i smell a lawsuit

this tour extension has been disasterous!! slow sales, protesting, and now this happens

i think this is in only in your mind and some others around here who don't have anything good to do than just post "tragic" affirmations for attention, just like a local trash tabloid.

Guest Sidney
why this? right now I fear I will not be able to see her in Bucharest, I hope no other concerts will be canceled. :(

If the stage is as badly damaged as it sounds, I would imagine it will take a little while to either fix it or build a new one.

Guest jamesshot

The comments accompanying the article at Huffingtonpost are disgusting. People have such hatred for her they are blaming her and saying this happened because she needs "smoke and mirrors and lights and a circus to perform". Disgusting. Then half are making fun of her and calling her tour names. One even called her kids "accessories".

The comments accompanying the article at Huffingtonpost are disgusting. People have such hatred for her they are blaming her and saying this happened because she needs "smoke and mirrors and lights and a circus to perform". Disgusting. Then half are making fun of her and calling her tour names. One even called her kids "accessories".

OMG I HAVE CRY PEOPLE ARE SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT SINGER WOMAN MADONNA

A person DIED get some FUCKING perspective.

Guest DancefloorConfessor
She has several stages. It's at least 3 from what I read.

I didnt realize there were multiple stages and have been completely confused about her being in Italy but the problem occurring in France.

I didnt realize there were multiple stages and have been completely confused about her being in Italy but the problem occurring in France.

yeah, most major tours have multiple stages. while they are performing on one stage, the previous stage is being taken down and shipped to the next place. then there's a third stage that is being set up for the next show.

Madonna 'devastated' by stage construction death

*One person was killed when stage being built for Madonna concert collapses

*Accident happened Thursday afternoon in southern French city of Marseille

*Another two people, one British and one American, were severely injured

*Madonna due to play first of five concerts in city for "Sticky and Sweet" tour Sunday

(CNN) -- Madonna was "devastated" to hear that a man was killed in an accident during construction for her upcoming concerts in Marseilles, France, a representative said Thursday.

A 53-year-old French man was killed when a stage being built for the concert collapsed, a fire department spokesman in the southern French city said.

Another two people, one British and one American, are severely injured, and four are lightly injured, officer David Goddin told CNN.

"At this point we don't know how it happened, but we are confident no one else is still under the rubble," Goddin said.

"My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news," Madonna said in a statement issued by her representative, Liz Rosenberg.

At least one Madonna show has been canceled, Rosenberg told CNN.

A crane collapsed while lifting a large metallic truss into place, Lt. Thierry Delorme of the French Navy told CNN. In Marseille, the Fire Department is a part of the Navy.

An investigation has been launched into the cause of the collapse, he said.

In addition to the six injuries and the single fatality, 34 people received psychological support after the incident, he said.

About 27 fire engines and 80 firefighters responded to the emergency when the stage collapsed at 5:15 p.m. (1515 GMT).

"There were a lot of open fractures, of injuries, it was a messy sight," one of the rescue workers told Agence-France Presse.

Madonna was scheduled to play the first of five concerts for her "Sticky and Sweet" tour at the 60,000-seat Stade Velodrome on Sunday.

The singer was in Udine, Italy, when she heard the news, Rosenberg said.

Guest SoUnusual

Madonna's Stage Collapses, One Dead

Posted Jul 16th 2009 12:54PM by TMZ Staff

The stage for Madonna's concert in Marseille, France collapsed today, killing one person and injuring nine.

0716_madonna_stage_france3_video.jpg

The collapse occurred at the Velodrome stadium where Madonna was going to perform on July 19. We're told the roof of the stage collapsed on top of the workers. Fire officials in Marseille tell us two of the injured workers are in critical condition -- one is an American.

French papers say the concert has been canceled.

UPDATE: Madonna has issued the following statement: "I am devastated to have just received this tragic news. My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

yeah, most major tours have multiple stages. while they are performing on one stage, the previous stage is being taken down and shipped to the next place. then there's a third stage that is being set up for the next show.

exactly, most people dont realize this fact.

-------------------------------------------------

i have one question : ARE THESE PEOPLE INJURED/KILLED part of Madonna's CREW ???

TECH guys? STAGE hands? RIGGERs?

OR

ARE they EMPLOYEES of the FRANCE STADIUM ????????

In addition to the six injuries and the single fatality, 34 people received psychological support after the incident, he said.

OH SHIT.

For them to make a statement like that, it had to be a very GRUESOME SCENE.

Guest jamesshot
OMG I HAVE CRY PEOPLE ARE SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT SINGER WOMAN MADONNA

A person DIED get some FUCKING perspective.

Bwhahahahahahaha. STFU idiot.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
Felt sorry for the person who died and those who were hurt in the accident.

Meanwhile, it's a great opportunity for her to cancel concert in Spain now!

If it's true that there are three stages in use then Zaragoza would've been the next stop for this stage, so that is indeed a possibility. The concerts after that with this stage would be Tallinn, Copenhagen, Munich, Belgrade, and Tel Aviv.

Its horiible news but yes theres more than one stage, the equipment was in manchester when she was at the o2. My friend was doing the lighting.