Stage for Madonna's show in Marseilles collapses, two dead

Guest ursaminorjim

why this? right now I fear I will not be able to see her in Bucharest, I hope no other concerts will be canceled. :(

Well, I think there's no choice. Police need to investigate how excatly it happened etc. You can't just be like ''Oh shit...'' then move the stage after this kind of accident...and if some things are badly damaged, then they'll have to re-make the parts or/and need to come up with a solution. And it'll take some time...

If it was anything like what happened in Dodger Stadium, it is probably due to the video screen curtain at the end of the catwalk. In open stadiums, they have to build an extended top over the catwalk to support the curtain at the end.

If it was anything like what happened in Dodger Stadium, it is probably due to the video screen curtain at the end of the catwalk. In open stadiums, they have to build an extended top over the catwalk to support the curtain at the end.

Did something happen at Dodger Stadium? I cannot recall

This Is Very Sad & Shocking News.

the Daily Mail will run an article tomorrow saying she is a murderer. a murderer with old veiny hands and bingo wings. mark my words.

You Right. I Can Already Imagine It. :dry:

Did something happen at Dodger Stadium? I cannot recall

The stage (the video curtain) partially collapsed and she had to perform without it and limited lighting. She even commented during the show about how dark it was and how she couldn't see out into the audience.

I guess it would take more than 1 month for investigation & rebuilding the stage before the concert can be resumed.

In other words, more cancellation to come. :dramatic:

Madonna has issued the following statement: "I am devastated to have just received this tragic news. My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

Madonna Tour Set Collapses, Killing One

At least one person is dead and seven injured after a portion of Madonna's "Sticky and Sweet" stage set collapsed Thursday in Marseilles France, according to French police.

"I am devastated to have just received this tragic news," the singer said in a statement Thursday through her spokesperson Liz Rosenberg. "My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

The accident occurred during construction of the stage for Madonna's show at the Velodrome Stadium at 5:15 p.m. local time (11:15 a.m. EST) when the roof accidentally fell in.

Police and fire officials have closed the stadium while trying to rescue those still trapped.

the stage itself is not at fault, it happened as one of the cranes that was liflting the top of the stage collapsed

40 people were working on the spot

one french man is dead, one us man and a brittish man are severely injured, 7 others have injuries, up to now

Un ouvrier tué au stade Vélodrome

L'effondrement d'une scène érigée pour le concert du 19 juillet de la chanteuse américaine Madonna au stade Vélodrome de Marseille a fait un mort et six blessés dont deux graves, selon un bilan provisoire de la police et de la préfecture. La victime est un Français âgé de 53 ans.

L'accident s'est produit aux environs de 17h15. Selon José Allegrini, adjoint au maire de Marseille, le pronostic vital d'un des deux blessés graves est engagé. Selon les marins-pompiers, le toit de la scène qui était en train d'être soulevé par quatre grues, a été déséquilibré, entraînant la chute d'une de ces grues et l'effondrement de la structure.«Heureusement qu'elle ne s'est pas effondrée plus vite, sinon il y aurait eu beaucoup plus de victimes», assure Maurice Di Nocera, conseiller municipal. En tout, 40 personnes travaillaient sur le site. Les membres de l'équipe non impliqués dans la catastrophe ont été pris en charge psychologiquement. «Certains ont sorti leurs copains des décombres, c'est assez lourd», raconte Jacques Naudin, du bataillon des marins-pompiers.

«A 19h00, le bilan était de dix victimes: un Français de 53 ans décédé, un Américain et un Anglais dans un état grave évacués respectivement vers l'hôpital Nord et vers celui de la Timone, trois Français et un Comorien polytraumatisés et trois blessés légers», détaillent les marins-pompiers dans un communiqué.

Les marins-pompiers qui ont déclenché le plan rouge, avaient demandé aux policiers de fermer les accès au stade afin de faciliter les opérations de secours. Les marins-pompiers ont aussi sollicité des renforts du Centre opérationnel d'incendie et de secours (Codis) des Bouches-du-Rhône. Deux équipes cyno-techniques se sont déplacées pour fouiller les décombres.

Le concert, initialement programmé dimanche 19 juillet, est annulé.

Libération.fr (avec AFP)

well thank god she wasn't injured or god forbid killed by it...people would have said she was trying to overshadow michael jackson's death

what a terrible story! but some people's natural reaction to this story is even more terrible

Guest boytoyville

It's really tragic and unbelievably unfortunate. I hope she contines the tour and doesn't cancel anymore dates. I mean it's not her fault personally. What bothers me is that there have been a couple instances during this second leg where things have went wrong with the roof. There have been falling and snapping chains which happened twice. I believe it was in Manchester where a broken chain snapped and fell to the ground and security had to come over to see what happened. Good thing no one was injured those times. I know that this comes off as not very nice but I don't mean it that way, I feel really bad that those in Marseille are not going to get the chance to enjoy the show. Hopefully they add a different date later in the tour or if they cancel a few shows they reschedule them for later.

It's really tragic and unbelievably unfortunate. I hope she contines the tour and doesn't cancel anymore dates. I mean it's not her fault personally. What bothers me is that there have been a couple instances during this second leg where things have went wrong with the roof. There have been falling and snapping chains which happened twice. I believe it was in Manchester where a broken chain snapped and fell to the ground and security had to come over to see what happened. Good thing no one was injured those times. I know that this comes off as not very nice but I don't mean it that way, I feel really bad that those in Marseille are not going to get the chance to enjoy the show. Hopefully they add a different date later in the tour or if they cancel a few shows they reschedule them for later.

Like what you'd mentioned, "There have been falling and snapping chains which happened twice" and now the stage is destroyed. There's several injuries and a person died. Do you want her to be next?

She should take this as a warning sign and stop the second leg. I don't care if it's sold-out or low selling, I just want her to be safe.

how many times must i say it, what is at fault is a crane, not the stage. a crane collapsed on the stage destroying it

you can see it on the picture, the stage is built with 4 cranes, only 3 are standing

the question is, did those cranes belong to the city of marseilles

anyway, this is just a terrible news, so sad

the stage itself is not at fault, it happened as one of the cranes that was liflting the top of the stage collapsed

40 people were working on the spot

Scary shit. It would've ended much worse.

If it was a crane that collapsed, then the title of this thread is very misleading, and needs to be changed. This is a tragedy for the one death, and the men injured, but it's a bit hysterical to expect her to cancel her entire tour because of it.

She should take this as a warning sign and stop the second leg. I don't care if it's sold-out or low selling, I just want her to be safe.

I agree, Safety is always at fore-front. What a shame this had to end in death.

for the media, saying that madonna's staged collapsed is a lot more glamourous and selling than saying that a defective crane fell on it and caused it to collapse. so don't fall into the trap

and those who say she should cancel it all are most ridiculous, live nation probably doesn't have anything to do with it. the culprit might be the city of marseilles, an investigation just started

If it was a crane that collapsed, then the title of this thread is very misleading, and needs to be changed. This is a tragedy for the one death, and the men injured, but it's a bit hysterical to expect her to cancel her entire tour because of it.

Agree. Apparently the actual stage didn't collapse, as it was one of the cranes that crashed it.

this is the original and only news that we still have about what happened:

Accueil › Région en direct

L'accident au stade Vélodrome fait un mort et six blessés

Publié le jeudi 16 juillet 2009 à 17H45

Click!

Un grave accident a eu lieu lors du montage de la scène pour le concert de Madonna dimanche prochain au stade Vélodrome à Marseille. Une grue aurait eu une défaillance et son contenu s'est effondré sur la scène. Des victimes seraient à déplorer.

Un bilan provisoire vient d'être établi. On dénombrerait six blessés. Une personne aurait aussi perdu la vie.

it does indeed say that the problem was a malfunctionning crane that collapsed onto the stage

http://www.laprovence.com/articles/2009/07...six-blesses.php

thre's an extensive articole on "le monde" site too (www.lemonde.fr) where a firework says the roof of the stage was lifted by the four cranes when it got unbalanced and caused the fall of one crane on the stage, where approximately 40 people were working...

the concert has been canceled by local authorities that started investigations...

how many times must i say it, what is at fault is a crane, not the stage. a crane collapsed on the stage destroying it

you can see it on the picture, the stage is built with 4 cranes, only 3 are standing

the question is, did those cranes belong to the city of marseilles

anyway, this is just a terrible news, so sad

Exactly

I had to quote this post again for the idiots who keep on harping the same thing without reading or seeing the pictures

This is more to do with the city's council than Madonna. So any legal action would not implicate her or her team I would think.