Stage for Madonna's show in Marseilles collapses, two dead

Guest ursaminorjim

well, the fact remains, if this sticky and sweet tour ended in 2008 as it was ..without an extension,

then this never wouldve happened.

it could've happened on any tour !!

absolutely....the woman will never be the same again. i think this will be the end of the madonna we know.

are you being sarcastic?

because if you aren't , then...

:(

Boston Globe: LINK

Inquiry launched in collapse of Madonna’s stage

July 18, 2009

Prosecutors in France have opened a manslaughter investigation in the collapse of a stage being built for a weekend concert by Madonna that killed two people. Eight other people were injured in Thursday’s accident in Marseille; one of them was in critical condition and four in serious condition, officials said. Assistant prosecutor Marc Simamonti said initial hearings would be held tomorrow or Monday. (AP)

Didnt this sort of thing happen at a spice girls show years ago and someone died?

Also during a pink floyd concert at Earls Court a whole stand collapsed during the concert.

These things happen. Sad though.

Guest Sidney
absolutely....the woman will never be the same again. i think this will be the end of the madonna we know.

I disagree. If anything, she will throw herself into her work even more. I don't think this is going to be "the end of the Madonna we know". I have no doubt that this will affect her for some time, but don't think she'll let it entirely change what she's done for 3 decades.

Guest marcos

ARE YOU GUYS SURE THE SHOW IN MARSEILLE HAS BEEN CANCELED? ON MADONNA'S OFFICIAL SITE IT IS NOT, AND YOU CAN STILL BUY TICKETS ON LINE...

God people are going on as if SHE killed them..it is a tragic accident but its not going to finish Madge off is it ?

I know she likes to be a control freak but people go on as if she was screaming orders via a walkie talkie on how to put the stage up.

It was a freak accident. They happen.

ARE YOU GUYS SURE THE SHOW IN MARSEILLE HAS BEEN CANCELED? ON MADONNA'S OFFICIAL SITE IT IS NOT, AND YOU CAN STILL BUY TICKETS ON LINE...

It's been canceled 100%. It's just a LN's fuck up.

Guest Sidney

It has to be cancelled. If the French are launching a manslaughter investigation (which I don't see how this is manslaughter, but I digress...), I would imagine the remnants of the stage are still at the stadium and won't be moved for a while, but I don't know that for sure. Plus, I'm sure it'll take a few days to get the damaged stage out of there, and a few days to put the new one together.

I wouldn't count on there being a show. We all know that Madonna's people aren't always on top of updating things.

Guest Sidney
God people are going on as if SHE killed them..it is a tragic accident but its not going to finish Madge off is it ?

I know she likes to be a control freak but people go on as if she was screaming orders via a walkie talkie on how to put the stage up.

It was a freak accident. They happen.

Yeah, my husband was listening to a station on satellite radio yesterday and they DJ's were talking about how Madonna is out killing people now. Give me a fucking break. Disgusting.

This is just so horrible. I feel so terrible for the two families, and I felt so horrible when Madonna started crying. This whole situation just sucks. And I hate how people are trying to frame this on Madonna. This is not her fault in any way, shape, or form. This could have happened on any tour, at any time. "Murderer"? Disgusting, some people need to get lives. It was a freak accident, and all we can do is mourn the people who lost their lives, hope nobody else dies, and try to move on.

Guest BytheBay
well, the fact remains, if this sticky and sweet tour ended in 2008 as it was ..without an extension,

then this never wouldve happened.

But that is hign-sight. 20/20 vision, she and anyone else wouldve never imagined this happening.

so tragic.

I have a strong feeling that this incident may impact Madonna deeply from this day forward.

I mean impact, as in, the difference in her might reflect in her work. i dont know, just a feeling im

getting.

you're right...the woman is a deathtrap. she should just remain locked up inside. i mean if she ever tours again, this could happen...AGAIN.

and imagine if she releases another album, and some poor young homo drives over to buy it from the local record store and on the way he hits a street sign and totals his car and dies, it would totally be her fault. she could never imagined this happening but still it would be her fault right?

in "hign-sight" she would realize the terror she sets upon the world by releasing her work and could never imagine that happening before but by then it would be too late.

E S Group, the company hired to build Madonna's stage for the now cancelled concert in Marseille, where two workers died and eight others injured, have released a statement regarding the unfortunate accident.

The company is also responsible for a collapsed stage at Dodger's Stadium, Los Angeles, this past November for Madonna's show there.

Their rep said:

"We were incredibly saddened by the tragic accident during the construction of a stage at the Velodrome at Marseille. Our thoughts at this current time go out to the families and loved ones of the two men who died and to those who have been injured.

Two of our Directors have flown out to Marseille to visit the injured and to get a better understanding of what caused the accident. At present, it would not be appropriate to speculate on potential causes of the accident, but we are working closely with the French authorities to investigate what caused this incident. This is normal practice for such an incident and we will provide a further update as soon as it is possible.

There is absolutely no technical or other connection between the incident at the Dodgers Stadium in November 2008 and the tragic accident yesterday (July 16 2009) at the Velodrome in Marseille."

Guest jamesshot

Ok, so what exactly did Madonna ever do to people for them to have such hatred. Hatred bordering on insanity. All the message boards I have been to, people are calling her a greedy murderer, she shouldn't tour because she has enough money, she is old and needs to give it up, she is responsible for this and other cruel disgusting things. Of course they all have to throw in that she "buys babies" and such.

Ok, so what exactly did Madonna ever do to people for them to have such hatred. Hatred bordering on insanity. All the message boards I have been to, people are calling her a greedy murderer, she shouldn't tour because she has enough money, she is old and needs to give it up, she is responsible for this and other gruel disgusting things. Of course they all have to throw in that she "buys babies" and such.

i've read alot of horrible things people have about her too and i have no idea what she ever did to them. some people act like she was the one who was operating the crane. you know... sitting in the seat with a big smile on her face, rubbing her hands together saying i wanna kill people. sad part about it though is there are people who truly believe that she killed them.

Guest jamesshot
i've read alot of horrible things people have about her too and i have no idea what she ever did to them. some people act like she was the one who was operating the crane. you know... sitting in the seat with a big smile on her face, rubbing her hands together saying i wanna kill people. sad part about it though is there are people who truly believe that she killed them.

I am just trying to figure out why there is so much hate for her. Of course people love her but when they don't, they hate her with a passion and will always think the absolute worst of her in any situation. You would think she is Hitler judging by some of the comments about her. This incident, which is a freak accident, has even had the haters come out saying she caused this due to her greed and such. Just unbelievable. Now they are saying her tears were fake and she didn't really care but her tears were just for show. Someone even said she has always been a completely heartless bitch but "this time" they beleive her tears are real.

Then of course there are the loons who think she did this to get "attention" from the MJ death. Sadly, many agreed saying "she will do anything for attention. When the attention isn't on her, she will do anything to get it back including baby snatching and causing an 'accident'. She even tours just to get attention because she doesn't need to tour she is rich".....and stupid insane shit like that.

I am just trying to figure out why there is so much hate for her. Of course people love her but when they don't, they hate her with a passion and will always think the absolute worst of her in any situation. You would think she is Hitler judging by some of the comments about her. This incident, which is a freak accident, has even had the haters come out saying she caused this due to her greed and such. Just unbelievable. Now they are saying her tears were fake and she didn't really care but her tears were just for show. Someone even said she has always been a completely heartless bitch but "this time" they beleive her tears are real.

Then of course there are the loons who think she did this to get "attention" from the MJ death. Sadly, many agreed saying "she will do anything for attention. When the attention isn't on her, she will do anything to get it back including baby snatching and causing an 'accident'. She even tours just to get attention because she doesn't need to tour she is rich".....and stupid insane shit like that.

ive read alot of comments similar to the ones you read plus a few others...

-its all for attention

-she did this to take away from MJ

-she's greedy

-she's a murderer

-too bad she wasnt on stage

-she figured if she did this then all of the people that had tickets for the show in france would buy them for the spain show that isnt selling well. this way she wont have a non-sellout show

-she should have her adopted kids build the next stage so when it collapses it will give her an excuse to go to africa and adopt a couple more n*****s

these idiots truly are insane. people are dead and they could care less about them. it just blows my mind.

people in internet express the worst as we can see in this forum as well, this is "standard" behaviour, pick a random artist and search for comments in youtube videos, and they all will have people saying the worst, unfortunately, this is normal in the internet world, people express hatred in unthinkable ways on the net

Ok, so what exactly did Madonna ever do to people for them to have such hatred. Hatred bordering on insanity. All the message boards I have been to, people are calling her a greedy murderer, she shouldn't tour because she has enough money, she is old and needs to give it up, she is responsible for this and other cruel disgusting things. Of course they all have to throw in that she "buys babies" and such.

It's mostly fans from other female artists that say shit like that. Normal people don't care.

Guest boytoyville

According to some at ICON the band and dancers have been spotted in Marseilles. I do think it is bizarre that there was never an official announcement on Madonna's website cancelling the show.... I'm sure the band and dancers are there because they already had accomadations?

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=83239

Madonna to visit injured in Marseille stage collapse

Updated at: 1610 PST, Sunday, July 19, 2009

MARSEILLE: US pop star Madonna was due in the French city of Marseille on Sunday to meet technicians injured when part of her concert stage collapsed, killing two workers, officials said.

Two men, a 23-year-old Briton and a 53-year-old French colleague, were killed on Thursday when a crane toppled over while they were setting up a stage in Marseille's Stade Velodrome stadium for a Madonna concert.

Prosecutors said Friday that eight more people were hospitalised after the incident, including an American whose injuries were said to be life-threatening.

Tour promoter Live Nation, which is overseeing Madonna's world tour, could not immediately confirm the information from French officials connected to the accident inquiry that the star would be in Marseille.

The Marseille concert, which had been planned for Sunday night, has been cancelled.

Madonna's next tour date is a sell-out gig in Barcelona's Olympic Stadium on Tuesday, according to her website

Tour extension announced-Sticky and Splattered Tour

Yeah you're really funny, you asshole..why dont you say that to my face so I can punch the shit out of you instead of using the internet to be a prick you coward.