Why was Madonna not in "We are the world"?

Guest jamesshot

Even if she wasn't invited,I don't see that as being a "snub".As I said earlier,there are ALOT of major artists who weren't asked.They couldn't invite everybody! Pat Benatar,Debbie Harry,Donna Summer,Patti LaBelle and Aretha Franklin weren't there,and some of these ladies were more popular than the artists who DID appear.

Pat Benatar was invited...she was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time and couldnt do it.

As has been stated by several people, Madonna was simply not asked to participate. It was widely reported at the time and it was seen as a snub.

Cyndi was much bigger than Madonna throughout 1984 - she four Top 5 singles (#2, #1, #3 and #5) and a #4 album, whereas in the same period, Madonna had peaked at #16, #10 and #4 (with her first #1 to follow just a couple of weeks later) and had a #8 album. Cyndi had also just been nominated for a Grammy when WATW was recorded.

actually, the LAV single was #1 in December 1984 (2 weeks) and ended it's reign at the top on Feb 2nd, 1985 after WATW was recorded.

the LAV album was released in Nov 1984 and was certified for 2 million copies in January 1985.

actually, the LAV single was #1 in December 1984 (2 weeks) and ended it's reign at the top on Feb 2nd, 1985 after WATW was recorded.

the LAV album was released in Nov 1984 and was certified for 2 million copies in January 1985.

Yes, and as I acknowledged, she was just weeks away from having her first #1 when Cyndi had her fourth Top 5 single of the year. What you've said does not alter the fact that Cyndi was much bigger than Madonna in 1984.

Many eyebrows were raised when the artist who had the biggest song and album in the world wasn't invited to participate in WATW. Cyndi was still bigger than Madonna in 1984, though :thumbsup:

Yes, and as I acknowledged, she was just weeks away from having her first #1 when Cyndi had her fourth Top 5 single of the year. What you've said does not alter the fact that Cyndi was much bigger than Madonna in 1984.

Many eyebrows were raised when the artist who had the biggest song and album in the world wasn't invited to participate in WATW. Cyndi was still bigger than Madonna in 1984, though :thumbsup:

i never said cyndi wasnt bigger. all i said was that madonna had 4 hits through 1984, not 3 hits as you had listed. :thumbsup:

Guest ursaminorjim
And those moments would be... a moment. I think ONLY Believe fits the "enormous" or "omnipresent" bill.

I don't know if any of us here was around to know if "I Got You Babe" or "Gypsies.." were. And I doubt they were enormous. Same, I think, of her other supposed "hits". I heard a lot of "After All" on radio here in our country but I think it was only Top 10 in the US.

Well, being old as the hills, I can tell you - "Gypsies, tramps and thieves" and "Dark lady" were absolutely huge in their time. As was "Take me home." As were "Just like Jesse James" and "If I could turn back time." Their chart placements may not reflect it, but when Cher has a hit, you know about it. :lol:

Guest ursaminorjim
Billy Joel (from Rolling Stone magazine, December 15, 2005): "Most of us who were there didn't like the song, but nobody would say so. I think Cyndi Lauper leaned over to me and said, 'It sounds like a Pepsi commercial.' And I didn't disagree."

Classic.

Guest Pud Whacker
Billy Joel (from Rolling Stone magazine, December 15, 2005): "Most of us who were there didn't like the song, but nobody would say so. I think Cyndi Lauper leaned over to me and said, 'It sounds like a Pepsi commercial.' And I didn't disagree."

:rotfl:

and certainly NOT a like a prayer pepsi commercial!!! :dramatic:

Well, being old as the hills, I can tell you - "Gypsies, tramps and thieves" and "Dark lady" were absolutely huge in their time. As was "Take me home." As were "Just like Jesse James" and "If I could turn back time." Their chart placements may not reflect it, but when Cher has a hit, you know about it. :lol:

Hey Mr. Bear lovin' Ent, are you sure they were huge hits or were you just extra sensitive to Cher's presence because of your limp wrist? :lol:

i never said cyndi wasnt bigger. all i said was that madonna had 4 hits through 1984, not 3 hits as you had listed. :thumbsup:

...which I mentioned, though, by saying "with her first #1 to follow just a couple of weeks later", so I'm not really sure what you're getting at :confused:

Cyndi peaked at #5 with "All Through The Night", and then exactly two weeks later, Madonna hit #1 for the first time with "Like A Virgin".... "Lucky Star" left the Top 10 two weeks before "All Through The Night" reached it, and "Lucky Star" and "She Bop" actually spent two weeks in the Top 10 together while LS was rising and SB was falling. Cyndi had four Top 5s in more or less the same time span that Madonna had one...but of course within weeks, Madonna had eclipsed everything that Cyndi had achieved in 1984.

Anyway, it doesn't matter! :)

remember ?

she not in because of her naked photo in playboy

but "crazy for you" beat the "we are the world "down on billboard single chart

haha

Those naked photos were published months after "We Are The World' was recorded, though.

remember ?

she not in because of her naked photo in playboy

but "crazy for you" beat the "we are the world "down on billboard single chart

haha

Yeah ha ha ha! You're right Madonna's song did beat out "We Are The World"... AFTER it was already #1 for four weeks prior. "Crazy For You" only topped the charts for one week.

Chances are that "Crazy For You" probably would have reach #1 on the Billboard charts earlier if not longer if it wasn't for "We Are The World". But since both songs were popular that spring, it played out the way it did.

And as someone else stated before me.... that nude photo in Playboy came out after the song was recorded, released as well as it hitting #1 on the billboard charts!!