Madonna being referenced heavily in news coverage of Jackson's death

Braby

Supposedly, his sales are around 750million but I get the feeling everyone has just rushed to wikipedia to get the figures and they may have been exaggerated by fans. Radio 1 said Thriller sold over 100million sales! However, it had only sold 40 million ten years ago. I don't think 60 million people have gone out and bought it in the last ten years!

He's not had that many albums out and his single sales are below Madonna's in the UK.

Anyone got anymore accurate figures for his sales?

And yes, it's easier for male artists to be taken more seriously than female. Madonna's back catalogue is superior in terms of breadth and variety. Michael's legacy was the biggest selling album of all time and some choreography but overall he stayed in the same mould from a creative perspective.

Radio 1 didn't say that. They usually check their facts unlike the delusional Kay Burley. Radio 1 said Jackson's camp were spouting a figure of 104 million but Guinness estimates sales at 65 million MAX.

Of course MJ's output has been a lot less, even though his career stretches a longer time span. 750 million is way off the mark. By SEVERAL HUNDRED MILLION.

about sales

it's just a game

i am so shy for Guinness World Records

i it's nothing

how could they do it like this

just because the boss of SONY?!

becauses of money?!

think we are idiots?!

Hope after 10years, Guinness give madonna a award that she sold about more than 900M .

Supposedly, his sales are around 750million but I get the feeling everyone has just rushed to wikipedia to get the figures and they may have been exaggerated by fans. Radio 1 said Thriller sold over 100million sales! However, it had only sold 40 million ten years ago. I don't think 60 million people have gone out and bought it in the last ten years!

He's not had that many albums out and his single sales are below Madonna's in the UK.

Anyone got anymore accurate figures for his sales?

And yes, it's easier for male artists to be taken more seriously than female. Madonna's back catalogue is superior in terms of breadth and variety. Michael's legacy was the biggest selling album of all time and some choreography but overall he stayed in the same mould from a creative perspective.

ok, I think 60 millions sold, counting thriller, the rematered and the 25´s edition it´s an accurate number.and i also heard 100 million somewhere, but it´s impossible

These numbers where published in the papers here :

Off The Wall 19m

Thriller 59m

Bad 28m

Dangerous 29m

HIStory 18m

Blood on The Dancefloor 6m

Invincible 8m

all figures include re-masters, re-releases & special editions.

source : Sony Music Belgium

Radio 1 didn't say that. They usually check their facts unlike the delusional Kay Burley. Radio 1 said Jackson's camp were spouting a figure of 104 million but Guinness estimates sales at 65 million MAX.

Of course MJ's output has been a lot less, even though his career stretches a longer time span. 750 million is way off the mark. By SEVERAL HUNDRED MILLION.

On the day after his death, Radio 1's newsbeat report definitely said 100 Million for Thriller. I remember it as the bloke doing the report could barely string a sentence together and most of it sounded like it was cobbled together at the last minute just spouting soundbites and platitudes. Shockingly amateurish. I think they got one of the muppets from One Extra to make it sound more street and relate to the yoof.

However, I was reading today that sales after the death of artists such Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Tupac Shakur and so on rocket so he could make that figure if his sales are handled well enough. Elvis' sales were supposedly 150M before death and now 1 billion although, once again, we have to trust lazy-arsed journalists who just go straight to wikipedia.

Kay Burley on Sky News said that not even Madonna comes close to him in terms of sales.

Well even before he died his catalogue sales were always much higher than hers. But I think Madonna has at least been slightly more consistent with her sales.

I looked up at CNN Michael Jackson page, and you'll see that the first quote to appear was MADGE and the last was from LIZ..

Maybe I haven't seen all of MJ's videos but from the ones I've seen I think Madonna's best videos were better than MJ's (but not necessarily more innovative/ground-breaking). MJ's work tends to be less sophisticated. Take Scream vs Human Nature for example. While Scream's special effects were impressive HN was so much better imo. Scream was just MJ doing the same moves he's been doing for years, except in a spaceship with Janet. Its pretty dull conceptually if you ask me.

Well, I don't want to argue opinions because there is no factual basis in them. However, some people might venture that Madonna in a leather dominatrix get-up, spanking people, or tied up in a chair is dull (conceptually). Yes? I mean, that wasn't exactly groundbreaking for her in 1995.

And while Thriller is groundbreaking I don't think its such a stunning artistic achievement (I mean... zombies, yea its cool and fun and shit but nothing really thought-provoking or anything). I don't think its as good as people say it is.

Hmmm...well perhaps you are confusing artistic with intellectual merit. I'd wager that Thriller was a HUGE artistic achievement in the sense that nothing like it had really been done before on that scale. The dance choreography, the make-up and costumes, the movie-within-a-video-within-a-dream plotline - all says HUGE artistic achievement to me. At least by the standards of that time period.

By the way, does anyone actually think Madonna will attend MJJ's funeral? I doubt she'd be able to with the tour kicking off this weekend.