Madonna being referenced heavily in news coverage of Jackson's death

Braby

Strange with the ONSLAUGHT of Jackson news coverage today, Madonna's name is popping up a lot more then I ever thought it would.

Chris Moyles said this morning on his Radio 1 show that she's the only one who knows what he went through because that enormity of fame was only ever experienced by the PAIR of them. Loose Women (I have a day off, don't judge me) referenced her as the "female" Michael Jackson and that epithet has been repeated A LOT on the 24-hour news channels and blogs.

Her tribute is of second importance on both Sky News and BBC News after Lisa Marie Presley, but I suppose this will change when Obama releases something. Only theirs, Brooke Shields and Jermaine's are ever really mentioned. I find that strange because those three at least have had a real personal relationship with Jacko. Was this because her statement was the most emotive? The "can't stop crying" quote is the most evocative of any of the statements any celebrity has released and deviates from the standard "I am very distressed and wish his family well" types. Others here have said it doesn't seem heartfelt but I digress.

From an American perspective, Anderson Cooper on CNN name dropped her about six times but that might more about him being a GHEY. Perez Hilton has featured her quote prominently, the only celebrity he's picked up on. Is it because she's 50 as well and the dichotomy of him being frail and mentally confused and she is sprightly and toned?

Or is it just because of the enormity of her fame? Poor Janet hasn't been given one mention from what I've seen and as his SISTER, she's going to be hurting far more than Madonna. Maybe the "King and Queen of Pop" thing is just a nice piece of language and adds a different slant to the story. On NUMEROUS YouTube tribute videos, people have written "Madonna is all alone now". The picture of them at the Oscars made one of the free London rags you find on the Tube. As I work in the news, I find it interesting how these memes develop. When the news broke last night, she was the last person I thought would have gotten free press.

And on sidenote, like I said in another thread, who appointed Jo Whiley as MJ's UK spokesperson? Like her incoherent ramblings are of ANY importance? Get that cunt off our screens.

Guest joliepast

its true she and him have a fame that no other can understand, I think cher as well, she is the queen of pop.

My gosh you should write drama... I love what you write and you're answering the questions you're asking yourself. The reason is because she's known as the queen, and he the king, they're both of the same age and cause huge controversy worldwide for every little thing they do.

"Madonna is all alone now".

this broke my heart.

For completely different reasons, Madonna is the female equivalent to Michael. The comparisons between them are uncanny and they will remain famous, infamous, and essential to the lexicon of not only pop culture, but to the world in general.

Maybe the "King and Queen of Pop" thing is just a nice piece of language and adds a different slant to the story.

I'd say it's mostly that. Also she is now (surely?) the most famous living celebrity, Diana, Michael and Sinatra have gone, Ali is a shadow of his former self, who else is there?

Paul Gambaccini said that he was the last popstar of his kind and quickly added, male popstar that is, we still have Madonna as the last big female act.

I don't think there'll ever be that sort of celebrity again, at least not in our lifetimes, and in both their cases, it was MTV that catapulted them to it.

Paul Gambaccini said that he was the last popstar of his kind and quickly added, male popstar that is, we still have Madonna as the last big female act.

I don't think there'll ever be that sort of celebrity again, at least not in our lifetimes, and in both their cases, it was MTV that catapulted them to it.

Very true. Their videos were groundbreaking when MTV was just starting. Now everyone is slickly choreographed with a whole entourage of dancers but MJ and Madonna were the leaders.

From the news I have seen and heard, Madonna hasn't been mentioned that much. I've seen a variety of comments and now that celebs are all coming out of the woodwork to say their piece to camera, she is getting less mention. I'm not sure why the mother in "Ugly Betty" was asked - did she know him? And David Cameron (leader of the opposition Tory party in the UK) was asked too!!!?!?! They really are asking random famous people now!

I wonder if Madonna will actually say something on camera? She's very dignified in such circumstances and wouldn't just film something for a bit of cheap publicity.

Guest Pud Whacker

exactly.

Guest Pud Whacker

and yes, i was watching CNN all day yesterday and madonna was brought up the entire time.

they made the 80's. the upped the ante of super stardom. they were the STARS of MTV in its heyday.

Guest chatty kathy

exactly.

I think they both helped MTV, and MTV helped make both of them even BIGGER than radio alone did!

It was an artists to new medium realtionship, mutually satisfying to all involved IMPHO.

and yes, i was watching CNN all day yesterday and madonna was brought up the entire time.

they made the 80's. the upped the ante of super stardom. they were the STARS of MTV in its heyday.

they sure did up the ante but it was madonna who was the bigger MTV star.

Guest Pud Whacker
they sure did up the ante but it was madonna who was the bigger MTV star.

oh, its so true. :dramatic:

there were people on CNN saying this and that about michael and i was waving my finger at the tv saying, no. :demonic:

Definitely because she's the Queen of Pop, so it's obvious people are going to pair them up somehow.

And her statement was emotive and classy, so I guess it works for the news reports and articles.

oh, its so true. :dramatic:

there were people on CNN saying this and that about michael and i was waving my finger at the tv saying, no. :demonic:

:demonic:

Another recurring comment I've been hearing is that Madonna and her music pretty much go hand in hand - you either love or hate both. Whereas with him, there were people who were crazy about him but there where those who thought he lived up to the Wacko tag but couldn't deny his genius as an artist.

Guest Pud Whacker
:demonic:

well, its true, they got so many facts wrong. one was we are the world which he bit from bob geldofs' band aid - do they know its xmas. they were saying it was becuase of michaels song that LIVE AID happened. NO, IT DIDNT. that was bob and band aid. not we are the hideous world that didnt invite madonna to perform (even though she had the number one song and album in the country) because they thought she would be gone tomorrow. :rotfl:

then they were saying MTV was michael tv and i had to stop again and say, NO. it was madonna tv.

these are just facts i state. and death doesnt change it.

I wonder if Madonna will actually say something on camera? She's very dignified in such circumstances and wouldn't just film something for a bit of cheap publicity.

I don't think she'd hold a press conference or anything but I expect she'll reference it at the opening night of the tour in a week or so. She commented publically on Diana at the MTV awards and later on Oprah so she'll no doubt speak on the matter, when inevitably she's asked, in her next round of doing promo.

Guest Pud Whacker
Another recurring comment I've been hearing is that Madonna and her music pretty much go hand in hand - you either love or hate both. Whereas with him, there were people who were crazy about him but there where those who thought he lived up to the Wacko tag but couldn't deny his genius as an artist.

well, yes and no. and i say this because im not a Jackson fan. there is something that does happen when death occurs. facts certainly dont change but its a squish squish moment. nostalgia creeps in. and madonna is so much a part of the UNIVERSAL FABRIC. from music to everything.

Oh god, who cares who was the bigger MTV star? So petty. No one would probably say that outside of the M fans 'cause no one cares. It's not important. Fact is that they were both the biggest MTV stars ever and both benefited from the channel, as did the channel benefit from them. They are forever linked because they are the King and Queen of Pop. Period. They are around the same age, both controversial figures, both made groundbreaking video's and are considered by many to be the biggest Male and Female pop stars ever. I'm not suprised they are being linked. There are three real superstars from the 80's that continue to influence people today and they are Prince, Madonna and Michael. The holy trinity of pop music. All of them will always be linked to eachother in one way or another.

Guest Pud Whacker
Oh god, who cares who was the bigger MTV star?

we do, here at the madonna forum. where in the madonna section the discussion is madonna is being referenced heaps in michaels death. :rotfl:

she'll no doubt speak on the matter, when inevitably she's asked, in her next round of doing promo.

Which will be when? In about ten years? :lmao:

Guest bluejean

This is an interesting point.

Truthfully, I don't think Madonna has the same respect from the public as a musician/artist/songwriter/singer that MJ has (Nothing to do with his death.)

She is known as a pop culture icon good at reinventing herself, a great stage performer and good business woman.

Hopefully in years to come she is recognised more for her musical talent as well. It's just different because her star has never faded enough to give the average person perspective.

Now that MJ is gone people will sing his praises even moreso because they'll be able to stop thinking about the freak of recent years and focus on the megastar he was. (Like they do with Elvis.)

Guest Pud Whacker
This is an interesting point.

Truthfully, I don't think Madonna has the same respect from the public as a musician/artist/songwriter/singer that MJ has (Nothing to do with his death.)

She is known as a pop culture icon good at reinventing herself, a great stage performer and good business woman.

Hopefully in years to come she is recognised more for her musical talent as well. It's just different because her star has never faded enough to give the average person perspective.

Now that MJ is gone people will sing his praises even moreso because they'll be able to stop thinking about the freak of recent years and focus on the megastar he was. (Like they do with Elvis.)

again, that is something that i think will happen in her death due to nostalgia. what they cant appreciate in life, they will in death. thats just HUMAN NATURE - MADONNA AND MICHAEL REFERENCE NUMBER 1,987. :lol:

marilyns a great example. they thought she was a shyt actress alive. then she died and she was a genius. go figure.

Guest Pud Whacker
I think it's more of a case of the public and media going through love/hate cycles as far as Madonna's concerned. She's got plenty more spells of ass kissing/ass kicking to come before she shuffles off the planet.

totally.

Guest bluejean

Hmm, true. She was very appreciated as an artist in the Ray Of Light/Music era wasn't she.

It is true, when they die they are put on a pedestal. Princess Diana was ripped apart until she died and was declared a saint.

I can see that happening with Madonna, and them praising her for the adoptions and charity work.

Guest Pud Whacker
Hmm, true. She was very appreciated as an artist in the Ray Of Light/Music era wasn't she.

It is true, when they die they are put on a pedestal. Princess Diana was ripped apart until she died and was declared a saint.

I can see that happening with Madonna, and them praising her for the adoptions and charity work.

and...everyone secretly loves madonna's songs. :thumbsup: