Madonna in Louis Vuitton's new campaign

TOUR2008

She's wearing precisely the same outfit she wore to that ball thing, right down to the hideous boots it seems. Which I guess means that her wearing that mess to that costume gala was more of a contractual obligation than her showing her 'kooky' side. I don't know whether to be releived that she hasn't lost her mind after all, or sad that she's willing to go out looking like a total twat just for LV's filthy coin. She really is sleep walking through her career at the moment isn't she?

Isn't Iconography's album cover supposed to be taken from this shoot?

That was the rumor I heard... Not sure if it's accurate or not, though...

Reminds me of this other Meisel pic:

cuar04_madonna0805.jpg

Yes -- I thought the same. (Although, I kinda liked it better in the VF spread. With the sepia tone and the retro vibe of the sets/styling in that shoot, it just felt a little more natural. Haha! If one can use the word natural.)

Once again people here completely miss the point of a FASHION AD. This is absolutely beautiful, and the fact that she looks like a plastic doll is part of the point. Louis Vuitton is a luxury brand, and high fashion photography is not about presenting reality. Ever see a Mert and Marcus campaign, which this is clearly inspired by? Photoshop is used in EVERY fashion ad, and on EVERYONE in the public eye. It's not about making someone look young, it's about making them look perfect. Very different thing.

Madonna also is just a hired model for Louis Vuitton, and like any model she has no say in the execution of this campaign, either pre or post production. The entire vision of this project was dreamed up in the mind of Marc Jacobs, and his creative team.

And Mr Breathless is so obviously not a part of the Louis Vuitton campaign. Duh

I was hoping for more of what Mert and Marcus did with Gwen Stefani a while back... from this shoot:

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/57/69/g-...x0.432x577.jpeg

Like these photos:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/1696...i+stefani80.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Odu7eqW6gAY/SDmx...ing+2008+02.jpg

(I tried to get the images to show, but they won't for some reason -- error message was "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed... so... just check out the pics. They're pretty and hyper colorful. Kinda the opposite of Mert and Marcus's one shoot with Madonna -- the POP magazine / DAD promo/single cover shoot -- which was very black-and-white and washed out colors. Not that it wasn't interesting -- it certainly was different. But we really only got variants on two basic shots. It was a little strange... kind of a blip/fluke.)

Of course, that was editorial, not advertising, but still.

And if you saw the behind-the-scenes of the last campaign, I think it was obvious Madonna is not exactly one to be along for the ride. She might not be driving, but she's a bit of a back-seat driver. Making suggestions about what to wear and what accessories to include. I'm sure some of the poses are her ideas, and I don't doubt that there was a lot of back-and-forth concept talk (similar to her video prep with directors, etc.).

She's wearing precisely the same outfit she wore to that ball thing, right down to the hideous boots it seems. Which I guess means that her wearing that mess to that costume gala was more of a contractual obligation than her showing her 'kooky' side. I don't know whether to be releived that she hasn't lost her mind after all, or sad that she's willing to go out looking like a total twat just for LV's filthy coin. She really is sleep walking through her career at the moment isn't she?

Does it ever occur you that actually it's the other way around? She agreed to do the Louis Vuitton ad because she likes the clothes and find them creative and interesting. Madonna has always worn and admired avant garde fashion and is not a conformist like you obviously are!

How is this different from earlier parts of her career? She has always done fashion ads like for Versace.

You attacked Jesus for no reason. Your venom never ceases to amaze me.

I'm all for gay rights and gay marriage. but the venom of some gay men on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Why are you so nasty and cruel? I don't get it.

It's great to be a gay icon, but there is nothing so harsh as the judgments of the queens.

because it looks nothing like her it could actually be any model in the world and the art direction is too crap to grab your attention so overall, yeah, its shit. oh well.

Guest Danny86
Does it ever occur you that actually it's the other way around? She agreed to do the Louis Vuitton ad because she likes the clothes and find them creative and interesting. Madonna has always worn and admired avant garde fashion and is not a conformist like you obviously are!

How is this different from earlier parts of her career? She has always done fashion ads like for Versace.

:lol: For real. The bitching and complaining reaches a new level each time the woman comes out with a new project. Yes, Madonna was so desperate for money that the Vuitton ad was her only chance not to go bankrupt, and they took advantage of that and forced her to look stupid. Poor brave mannequin Madonna. :rotfl:

I find it disturbing how lately "contractual obligation" became the new excuse for something fans don't like, but when she does something they do like, she's fantastic, groundbreaking, trendsetting, original... :dramatic:

Well, it's obviously a real shot from the campaign. And, as afrolito said, it's intentionally retouched to make her look like that.

I just take exception to the fact that the end result is unattractive and soulless, myself. But it's certainly "real."

It's just a shame it's so relentlessly superficial and airbrushed. It's absurd! It looks as though a pic of her body standing up was super imposed on a chair to appear like shes sitting down. Plastic if not wooden. Completely incongruous.

I mean some of the candid paparazzi shots of her walking along the street are a million times hotter than this. She's still an attractive woman despite the surgery and she permits Jacobs to make her look like a waxwork. I agree it does look "soulless". Seems like the woman renowned for being in control of her image really cannot be arsed with it anymore. Imagery like this just feeds into the general misconception that she is now a silly caricature of her former self.

Once again people here completely miss the point of a FASHION AD. This is absolutely beautiful, and the fact that she looks like a plastic doll is part of the point. Louis Vuitton is a luxury brand, and high fashion photography is not about presenting reality. Ever see a Mert and Marcus campaign, which this is clearly inspired by? Photoshop is used in EVERY fashion ad, and on EVERYONE in the public eye. It's not about making someone look young, it's about making them look perfect. Very different thing.

Thank you Afrolito. Finally someone with a brain and one of the few people in here with understanding what the whole ad is meant to be. :thumbsup:

All the bitching about too much photoshop, her looking un-natural, like a plastic or porcellain doll ... It´s the concept behind the campaign for gods sake. Criticize the idea, no problem with that. Say you don´t like it, that´s fine. But some people should keep their ignorant comments out of this thread, it makes you look like total idiots. Think before you type.

I'm all for gay rights and gay marriage. but the venom of some gay men on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Why are you so nasty and cruel? I don't get it.

It's great to be a gay icon, but there is nothing so harsh as the judgments of the queens.

What on earth has this got to do with GAY MARRIAGE and GAY RIGHTS? :confused: I assume you're saying somehow I would be more deserving of these delights that your support has bestowed upon me if I was a bit nicer about Madonna on a message board. Utterly bizarre.

And what is all this drama about 'attacked/venom/nasty/cruel/judgements' ? As far as I was aware, I was offering a candid opinion about a photospread, not something which will in any way affect Madona's life or career. I have no venom for Madonna; on the other hand, as long as my views are not offensive or an incitement to hatred I don't see any reason to modify them to suit some imaginary concept of Madonna being hurt by them. There IS a lot more in the world to get upset about than someone not liking Madonna's clothes fyi. It might help if you developed some sense of perspective.

Guest ursaminorjim

Umm...what?

That's simply horrible!

Surely they were deliberately photoshopping her to look like a painting/doll and all was part of some artdirectors concept but overall ... the result just looks awful.

Guest waiting
Thank you Afrolito. Finally someone with a brain and one of the few people in here with understanding what the whole ad is meant to be. :thumbsup:

All the bitching about too much photoshop, her looking un-natural, like a plastic or porcellain doll ... It´s the concept behind the campaign for gods sake. Criticize the idea, no problem with that. Say you don´t like it, that´s fine. But some people should keep their ignorant comments out of this thread, it makes you look like total idiots. Think before you type.

Well then the concept sucks.

What on earth has this got to do with GAY MARRIAGE and GAY RIGHTS? :confused: I assume you're saying somehow I would be more deserving of these delights that your support has bestowed upon me if I was a bit nicer about Madonna on a message board. Utterly bizarre.

And what is all this drama about 'attacked/venom/nasty/cruel/judgements' ? As far as I was aware, I was offering a candid opinion about a photospread, not something which will in any way affect Madona's life or career. I have no venom for Madonna; on the other hand, as long as my views are not offensive or an incitement to hatred I don't see any reason to modify them to suit some imaginary concept of Madonna being hurt by them. There IS a lot more in the world to get upset about than someone not liking Madonna's clothes fyi. It might help if you developed some sense of perspective.

As a gay myself I get repulsed by the fags on this board who are not only music producers that know what sound is BEST for Madonna and her legacy.....*eyes roll back so far into head they are gone*. Apparently now they are experts on fashion photography and womens fashion. They are experts on promotion, they should be her manager because THEY know what it right for her career. They are experts on art direction for her tours....since King is soooooo tired....that's why everybody has just now started to use him......I mean the list is truly endless.

After Madonna has just had one of the most successful years of her career......REGARDLESS of your personal feelings on her album, tour or whatever. It doesn't matter. Obviously the majority does not agree with you or we'd be discussing major backlash. Unless of course, you are one of those fans who has created the backlash in your head.....that seems to be a common thing this year. The woman has reviews that are 75/25 in favor of her album,one of the top selling albums of the year the biggest tour by a solo artist ever, one of her biggest hit songs ever (oh yeah she had NOTHING to do with that.....YEAH....RIIIIIGHT!) the list is fucking endless on her great achievements in just 2008 ALONE. Again, regardless of how you feel about her music she's doing something right because she had a hit album....SOMEBODY FOUND ARTISTIC INTEGRITY IN IT. Or maybe they just thought it was a fun listen. Remember what that is?? Not everything needs to be a Music or fucking American Life to be appreciated. Not everything needs to be taken seriously to be appreciated. Not everything she does needs to have some deep message. Yet we want to talk about how we don't like how her boots lace up or how we don't like the airbrushing on ONE photograph. Get some fucking perspective. It's all just ridiculous. How about celebrating that she is here and still fucking active at 50 years old AND on top of her game. Love or hate what she's done recently YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT deny the bitch is on top of her game.

What does this have to do with gay marriage or rights? Nothing really. But I can see why Glinda's mind went there. If one just read this board it would be easy to get the impression that gays are judgemental, vicious, nasty people with only negative things to say. I guess it's fair to assume that if someone is nitpicky and nasty about Madonna's boots or hairbow.....someone who has a history of being negative 90% of the time.....then it's not too far fetched to believe that's how that person approaches many situations in their life. Your only this judgemental when it comes to Madonna?? RIGHT! THIS could sound judgemental so I apologize but just being honest.....you in particular remind me of someone who if I were to walk by you in the park with some Levi's, a wife beater and some old sneakers with a ragged baseball cap on....you know just a stroll through the park on a lazy day....that the person beside you would get an earful on what a fashion disaster I am and I must not care about myself...blah blah blah. I must be a poor, miserable person who can't afford the latest and greatest clothes. I mean you have had a problem with A-Rod's and Jesus' (very common) fashion sense. When let's face it, they wear jeans and tshirts most of the time..... :confused: . WTF?? They just dress like a typical guy. Not fashion forward no, but not exactly in the dark either. Just very common.

Not trying to sound nasty but after reading your nasty critiques of everything from Madonna's music to her face to her "friends" fashion sense to her decisions on who she "dates"....I beg the question....WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??? :confused: High and mighty is an understatement.

And before you say it NO....I don't LOOOOOVE the picture because Madonna is in it. In fact I'm very neutral about the picture. It's very "whatever" to me.

As a gay myself I get repulsed by the fags on this board who are not only music producers that know what sound is BEST for Madonna and her legacy.....*eyes roll back so far into head they are gone*. Apparently now they are experts on fashion photography and womens fashion. They are experts on promotion, they should be her manager because THEY know what it right for her career. They are experts on art direction for her tours....since King is soooooo tired....that's why everybody has just now started to use him......I mean the list is truly endless.

After Madonna has just had one of the most successful years of her career......REGARDLESS of your personal feelings on her album, tour or whatever. It doesn't matter. Obviously the majority does not agree with you or we'd be discussing major backlash. Unless of course, you are one of those fans who has created the backlash in your head.....that seems to be a common thing this year. The woman has reviews that are 75/25 in favor of her album,one of the top selling albums of the year the biggest tour by a solo artist ever, one of her biggest hit songs ever (oh yeah she had NOTHING to do with that.....YEAH....RIIIIIGHT!) the list is fucking endless on her great achievements in just 2008 ALONE. Again, regardless of how you feel about her music she's doing something right because she had a hit album....SOMEBODY FOUND ARTISTIC INTEGRITY IN IT. Or maybe they just thought it was a fun listen. Remember what that is?? Not everything needs to be a Music or fucking American Life to be appreciated. Not everything needs to be taken seriously to be appreciated. Not everything she does needs to have some deep message. Yet we want to talk about how we don't like how her boots lace up or how we don't like the airbrushing on ONE photograph. Get some fucking perspective. It's all just ridiculous. How about celebrating that she is here and still fucking active at 50 years old AND on top of her game. Love or hate what she's done recently YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT deny the bitch is on top of her game.

What does this have to do with gay marriage or rights? Nothing really. But I can see why Glinda's mind went there. If one just read this board it would be easy to get the impression that gays are judgemental, vicious, nasty people with only negative things to say. I guess it's fair to assume that if someone is nitpicky and nasty about Madonna's boots or hairbow.....someone who has a history of being negative 90% of the time.....then it's not too far fetched to believe that's how that person approaches many situations in their life. Your only this judgemental when it comes to Madonna?? RIGHT! THIS could sound judgemental so I apologize but just being honest.....you in particular remind me of someone who if I were to walk by you in the park with some Levi's, a wife beater and some old sneakers with a ragged baseball cap on....you know just a stroll through the park on a lazy day....that the person beside you would get an earful on what a fashion disaster I am and I must not care about myself...blah blah blah. I must be a poor, miserable person who can't afford the latest and greatest clothes. I mean you have had a problem with A-Rod's and Jesus' (very common) fashion sense. When let's face it, they wear jeans and tshirts most of the time..... :confused: . WTF?? They just dress like a typical guy. Not fashion forward no, but not exactly in the dark either. Just very common.

Not trying to sound nasty but after reading your nasty critiques of everything from Madonna's music to her face to her "friends" fashion sense to her decisions on who she "dates"....I beg the question....WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??? :confused: High and mighty is an understatement.

And before you say it NO....I don't LOOOOOVE the picture because Madonna is in it. In fact I'm very neutral about the picture. It's very "whatever" to me.

ooook then.

:|

Guest Madlover033003

its SO airbrushed that the essense of madonna is gone. it could be any model molded to look like madonna. hell, it can be a statue from madame tussauds

Guest Pud Whacker

its unfortunate magazines, like records, cds, etc., will be extinct in a few years.

i remember vividly, flipping through andy warhol's interview magazine and seeing the steven meisel versace ads - the first batch. at first i thought it was the model nadia. then when i was flipping the page, i saw that it said, Madonna for Versace. i flipped back and my face crack'd.

it was great coming across the ads like that. now theyre totally seen out of context and not what theyre used for. i still buy magazines - great ones and i love them. i love images.

when i came acorss the first batch of LV ads again in Intervew!!! i had to snatch them up. they look so good in magazines. :thumbsup:

Guest Pud Whacker

and people - images like this dont sell product.

greer460.jpg

if you plan a career in advertising - GET OUT NOW. :rotfl:

Kinda like it, besides this is just the first one so lets not judge so hastily.....And another thing if and when the Queen gets to have her wings just like Michael Jackson just did the freakin loons thats bashing her right now would do a 360 degrees turn on their comments........

Love the Queen...