..Except, once you have it all....

Lucky guy

Loved it when I first watched Dick Tracy(and didn't know who Madonna was, I was little), and it's one of my favorites off I'm Breathless now.

madonna24.jpg

That entire era was awesome.

Edited by Lymon

One of my favorites from I'm Breathless. Did this track precedede that other one that has similar lines, "Who could ask for anything more?" And I imagine that also was a Sondheim track?

One of my favorites from I'm Breathless. Did this track precedede that other one that has similar lines, "Who could ask for anything more?" And I imagine that also was a Sondheim track?

More was a Sondheim track.

^ Yes, "More" from Dick Tracy is a Stephen Sondheim track, but I think HolidayGuy was referring to "I Got Rhythm" by George and Ira Gershwin. "More" kinda quotes "I Got Rhythm" with a wink and a nod. "I Got Rhythm" was composed in 1930, so, no... Gershwin's song came before Sondheim's.

Here's Judy Garland singing it in 1943:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ9Uhphc5Rg

Skip to about 0:55 if you want to hear the beginning of the familiar part. ("I got rhythm / I got music / I got my man / who could ask for anything more?"

^ Yes, "More" from Dick Tracy is a Stephen Sondheim track, but I think HolidayGuy was referring to "I Got Rhythm" by George and Ira Gershwin. "More" kinda quotes "I Got Rhythm" with a wink and a nod. "I Got Rhythm" was composed in 1930, so, no... Gershwin's song came before Sondheim's.

Here's Judy Garland singing it in 1943:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ9Uhphc5Rg

Skip to about 0:55 if you want to hear the beginning of the familiar part. ("I got rhythm / I got music / I got my man / who could ask for anything more?"

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of that song, that's a nice nod that Sondheim did with those lyrics.

Wonderful, WONDERFUL soundtrack. Everytime I listen to it it reminds me of summer...great imagery also related to this, a really good, creative time in her career also, I think she surprised a lot of folks back then when she did this stuff, not to mention she was ultra-hot in the movie too!

absolutely love it! I think July should be I'm Breathless appreciation month.

YES, PLEASE

I love Al Pacino in the rehearsals, stumbling around groping the girls and repeating the lyrics. Brilliant. Also Madonna's singing in this track is amazing on the end credits, and each word is crystal clear.

Not to forget this is one of the most difficult Madonna song to sing:

If you've got a little, why not a lot?

Add and bit and it'll get to be an oodle.

Every jot and tittle adds to the pot

Soon you've got the kit as well as the caboodle... more... more...

Umm....

Does anyone know are there full versions of the Dick Tracy performances??

There has to be in the vault somewhere!!! I have always been surprised that someone hasn't edited together the 2 performances from the film, and other clips from the movie.

:)

"You may find all else a ball?!" :lol:

I heard it as that for years, then it clicked...

More is great, one of my favourites. For some reason I love the line "Gotta fill your cupboard, remember Mother Hubbard", it makes me smile.

I'm Breathless is criminally overlooked in my book, it's an almost perfect pastiche. Lyrically it's her most playful album, her vocals are strong and at times wonderfully campy.

Listening to the More, Sooner or Later and What Can You Lose demos versus the finished versions she'd obviously worked hard on her voice during recording. And, as much as I love Mandy Patinkin, I wish we had a polished solo version of What Can You Lose.

Defintely in the AL Pacino 'More' scene...but I think the rest is just alternate/raw vocal takes...

The 'What can u lose' demo is awful as is the song :fag: