SIMPLY STUNNING.

acko

Guest Pud Whacker
I also wasn't aware there was a second performance of this- FLOP fans, unite. :gent:

well, it was a 'private' affair. there were maybe a few clippings of the performance and a mention on ET. back then it wasnt like today - where they would have a red carpet and people going in and talking to the press. today they have red carpets going into clubs with whoever is sponsoring it behind them slapped on the walls. things were more exclusive back then.

I also wasn't aware there was a second performance of this- FLOP fans, unite. :gent:

well put me in this club because i NEVER KNEW ABOUT A SECOND PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!

WHERE HAVE I BEEN ON THE MOON!!!

i was looking at the pictures and something wasnt quite right with them..slightly different expressions and lighting and poses ...anyway thats so interesting that she did 2 of them and 3 months apart... 0006.gif

Guest Danny86

According to the Absolute Madonna career diary, it was the day after the VMA. Which would actually make more sense, than keeping the costumes for 3 months... :confused:

# Sep (6) Madonna performs "Vogue" at the 7th annual MTV Video Music Awards at the Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles, CA; "Vogue" wins Best Direction, Best Editing and Best Cinematography.

# (7) Madonna is honored with the Commitment To Life Award and performs "Vogue" at the Commitment To Life IV benefit for AIDS Project Los Angeles (APLA) at the Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA.

Yeah, I only knew there was a second performance because it was brought to light on the forum a few months back. These photos did seem slightly different -- I'm glad someone pointed out the reason. (The first thing I noticed -- :shy: -- was that her bosom seemed to be hanging out slightly more than on the MTV performance. Maybe it's just me, though.)

According to the Absolute Madonna career diary, it was the day after the VMA. Which would actually make more sense, than keeping the costumes for 3 months... :confused:

# Sep (6) Madonna performs "Vogue" at the 7th annual MTV Video Music Awards at the Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles, CA; "Vogue" wins Best Direction, Best Editing and Best Cinematography.

# (7) Madonna is honored with the Commitment To Life Award and performs "Vogue" at the Commitment To Life IV benefit for AIDS Project Los Angeles (APLA) at the Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA.

I'm glad "Vogue" was recognized at the time with some VMAs, but doesn't it seem a crime that it didn't win the Best Video (or Video of the Year Award, or whatever it's called)? I think MC Hammer won it... Just goes to show you that sometimes being the momentary 'it' thing can be so passing, and yet something else can be so much more enduring. Not that "Vogue" wasn't popular at the time, but if you look at it now, it still looks classic, classy, iconic. Maybe that's due to the borrowed imagery, maybe that's due to the black-and-white filmic quality... But STILL... really. Let's be serious -- if you look at Hammer's video, that just looks so tacky now. How could "Vogue" NOT have won Video of the Year?! Around 1999 or 2000, MTV did their countdown of the top 100 music videos of all time, "Vogue" was #2 (behind "Thriller"). ("Express Yourself" was #10. She was the only artist to have TWO videos in the top 10. And she had more videos in the whole countdown than any other artist. I forget how many total -- I wanna say "Lucky Star" was in there, too.)

It's just so strange how time distances us from things -- sometimes lending clarity of perspective, and sometimes making us forget things.

You just said that.

:lol:

Sinead O'Connor beat "Vogue" at the 1990 VMAs. Presented by Cher, I believe. I doubt MC Hammer was even nominated for video of the year.

Even more bizarrely, the year before Neil Young beat LAP for video of the year with his anti-consumerism rant "This Note's For You" which ironically enough bashed artists for selling out to Pepsi and Coke. That was a major upset in a very competitive year.

Guest ursaminorjim

I wonder how many dyslexics have opened this thread expecting to see photos of Madonna engaged in amputee sex with a married man?

You know, STUMPLY SINNING.

Sinead O'Connor beat "Vogue" at the 1990 VMAs. Presented by Cher, I believe. I doubt MC Hammer was even nominated for video of the year.

Maybe that was for Female Video? I've got to look this up now...

I remember the show - MC Hammer came on with loads of dancers and was leaping around in his hideous harem pants. It was loud and brash.

Madonna comes on and completely blows his performance out of the water with this stunning rendition and was pure class.

And yes, I still look at the fan toss and think 'what if she drops it this time'!!!!

Guest Danny86
Madonna totally owned 1990 :bow:

[strawberryBounce12]Not true. Janet scored 7 Top 5 hits from Rhythm Nation 1814 during that time and that made her an international superstar and one of the best selling artists ever. Janet owned 1990 and that is a fact. I don't see why you guys always have to bash Janet, I mean I love M and I always give her credit, but 1990 was not her year. If you ask anyone on the street if Madonna or Janet were more successful in 1990, of course they will say Janet.[/strawberryBounce12]

[strawberryBounce12]Not true. Janet scored 7 Top 5 hits from Rhythm Nation 1814 during that time and that made her an international superstar and one of the best selling artists ever. Janet owned 1990 and that is a fact. I don't see why you guys always have to bash Janet, I mean I love M and I always give her credit, but 1990 was not her year. If you ask anyone on the street if Madonna or Janet were more successful in 1990, of course they will say Janet.[/strawberryBounce12]

She might have owned 1990 in the US but certainly not in the UK - Vogue and Justify My Love were landmark songs and the Blonde Ambition Tour took tours to a new level and features iconic performances whilst Janet's singles did ok here but if you ask any English person if they remember Escapade, Black Cat or even Miss You Much, you will probably get blank looks. Ask them about Vogue and Justify My Love and they will instantly know Madonna. Rhythm Nation has not left a legacy of work that the casual members of the public would remember here.

PS: I like Janet and have a lot of her work but she was just not that big over here. Kylie also surpassed Janet in terms of performance. 93 in the UK might have been better as That's The Way Love Goes was doing well and Madonna was getting panned with Erotica but even then Madonna stole the headlines.