Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread!

hesser

this was brought to me months ago by brilliant scrapple;

it really was her last album where she had proper background vocals. madonna style.

"Nothing Really Matters"!!!

Guest Pud Whacker
"Nothing Really Matters"!!!

oh yes, there are exceptions and he and i went through most of them...but a proper album of background vocals by her, others and in that madonna style. this was the last complete album with that.

I can't stop thinking of you
The things we used to do
The secrets we once shared
I'll always find them there
In my memories

But this heartache isn't going anywhere
In the public eye I act like I don't care
When there's no one watching me
I'm crying

I can't stop thinking of you

The things we used to do

The secrets we once shared

I'll always find them there

In my memories

But this heartache isn't going anywhere

In the public eye I act like I don't care

When there's no one watching me

I'm crying

:rosey:

Guest Pud Whacker
wow , everyone changed their profile to bedtime stories!!

maybe i should do the same?

NOW!!!

funkydita, i love your avatar and sig -- the photo in your sig has always been one of my favorites. And "Love Tried to Welcome Me" is among my favorite Madonna songs -- well, at least among my melancholy Madonna favorites! So sad!

I love the album -- I think the two tracks I was slowest in appreciating were "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" and "Inside of Me" -- but I'm thoroughly converted now.

"Sanctuary" and "Bedtime Story" segue perfectly. The videos that accompany the project area all gorgeous and memorable. ("Bedtime Story" is the 'artiest' -- but "Take a Bow" is stunningly gorgeous and might be my fave, and "Human Nature" is slick, humorous, and sexy.)

And, as others have pointed out, there are great outtakes: Your Honesty and Let Down Your Guard are strong, solid tracks.

This reminds me, M needs to work with Nellee Hooper again!!

And lastly... what was the story behind the early hairstyle for the "Secret" video?! There are photos (and video remixes) that show the original hairstyle. (Alison Goldfrapp's hair occasionally reminds me of the tight curl style M wore...) They re-did the hair and shot new footage of her on the street. How did that happen? Did they have to re-shoot on a different date, or did she immediately know it was wrong and they fixed it on the spot? I've never heard the story behind that change...

what was the story behind the early hairstyle for the "Secret" video?! There are photos (and video remixes) that show the original hairstyle. (Alison Goldfrapp's hair occasionally reminds me of the tight curl style M wore...) They re-did the hair and shot new footage of her on the street. How did that happen? Did they have to re-shoot on a different date, or did she immediately know it was wrong and they fixed it on the spot? I've never heard the story behind that change...

I think it was just extra footage that wasn't used in the final cut. Not sure if she "immediately knew it was wrong" considering she subjected us all to it during a day-long press junket promoting the album/single a few weeks later. :demonic:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

The album is either really good, or really shit. But i do like it.

Secret

Human Nature

Forbidden Love

Sanctuary

Bedtime Story

These are EVERYTHING!

Guest Pud Whacker
I think it was just extra footage that wasn't used in the final cut. Not sure if she "immediately knew it was wrong" considering she subjected us all to it during a day-long press junket promoting the album/single a few weeks later. :demonic:

there was a story that madonna spent hours in hair and make up and hen she came out melody was like, um, well, thats too much, i was thinking a little softer...and madonna bytched, well, you could have saved me the time and told me. :lol:

there was a story that madonna spent hours in hair and make up and hen she came out melody was like, um, well, thats too much, i was thinking a little softer...and madonna bytched, well, you could have saved me the time and told me. :lol:

:lol:

:thumbsup:

I must say, i really adore the Secret video. It's in my top 10. Such a beautiful video, M looks sooo sexy, and her BOOBS!!! Even the extras in the video, it all comes together You really get the sense and feel and mood from the video. Also, i much prefer the hair style that was used, its sleek and simple, plus it goes with the album cover image.

013.jpg

079.jpg

115.jpg (as mentioned in the Ruby Wax interview, Madonna loved this couple)

116.jpg

113.jpg

132.jpg

150.jpg

and that smile at the end of the video: inxw45dfnz2f6mrrgbptcmrql5edovccjvavkvkh:thumbsup:

^ Haha! Thanks, Mattress and Pud. I must not have seen any of the interviews from that junket... I remember reading in Entertainment Weekly when the album came out that they said she 'quietly released' the album and debuted strongly at #3. And from my perspective, I guess it was quiet. The songs were everywhere on the radio (Secret and Take a Bow were, at least) -- but after the Erotica/Sex/BodyofEvidence backlash, the coverage of M for me as a young teenager at the time was very meager. So I must've missed that stuff. (I've been catching up on all of that over the last 15 years or so, though! lol!)

This is the look to which I was referring, in case anyone else doesn't know what I was nattering on about:

secret3.jpg

secret2.jpg

:lol:

:thumbsup:

I must say, i really adore the Secret video. It's in my top 10. Such a beautiful video, M looks sooo sexy, and her BOOBS!!! Even the extras in the video, it all comes together You really get the sense and feel and mood from the video. Also, i much prefer the hair style that was used, its sleek and simple, plus it goes with the album cover image.

Oh, I agree totally -- the change in hair was an improvement! (I loved that still that became the cover for the "Take a Bow" single. And yes, her bosom is very ample esp. in that shot!)

BTW, Mattress, now that I think of it, I really don't think it's extra footage -- because it's kind of a duplicate outfit and her walking down the sidewalk. If it was another outfit entirely, I might think it was just more B-roll to complement the performance footage. But I think it really was intended to replace the other hair.

I LOVE Bedtime Story... although when I first listened to it I was terribly let down because it was so un-Madonna and lacked bounce or that Madonna-brand fun that I was looking for at the time.. But ultimately the WARMTH of the album captivated me after several repeat listening. I never heard Madonna so vulnerable and accessible since LAP's Promise To Try.

Aside from the warmth and earnestness in her singing, the tone and melancholia of the album was also personally compelling. Although my mother died a year earlier, it was during this time that I was coming to realize the full measure of my loss and how it affected me. I so relate to Inside Of Me, and the .. and I'm usually drawn to sadness, and loneliness has never been a stranger to me.. bit from LTTWM. I was down and I sensed Madonna was, too, or that she felt least confident than she had ever been: even Don't Stop-- which I love-- betrays a sense of deflation on her part: she was almost pleading for people to dance as opposed to commanding them to.

Anyway, this album is special. Not as great as LAP, ROL, and Madonna, but the songs in it have a good deal of timelessness in them. And it was a creative forward move on her part. Beautiful melodies, too. :thumbsup:

Guest Not4Pussies

this is the album that madonna has ignored the most on tour and the only album she did not tour for

ray of light doesnt count since DWT was made up of ROL/Music tracks

this was brought to me months ago by brilliant scrapple;

it really was her last album where she had proper background vocals. madonna style.

The background vocals are gorgeously layered and Survival especially showcases Nikki's vocals perfectly. I also love Babyface's whispered background vocals at the top of Forbidden Love, "love without a doubt" and particularly "don't go near the fire, don't go with the dark, don't give in to your desire, 'cos it's gonna break your heart, let go. Let go."

Of course the other (and maybe most important) point is that this is the last album with pre-Evita vocals :(.