Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread!

hesser

Woo hoo. Finally reached 200 posts and can now create thread! :vogue:

What better way to start than with a BEDTIME STORIES appreciation thread! ;)

Some fans like to criticize it for the < oh no > "hit makers" and yes it WAS a somewhat obvious attempt to play nice after the backlash of EROTICA but despite all that this is actually one of the few CDs in her first 10 years that DIDN'T lure people in with a bunch of controvesy and button pushing. To me its like she wanted you to forget about all that for a change and just listen to the music (and of course forget about that roboslut Dita that nearly ruined her career.) The album is soft & sensual & vulnerable. Even tho so many "hardcore" fans like to give it grief because < oh no > "hit makers" and < oh no > black sound.......underneath the smooth calm of it it was probably her most covertly EXPERIMENTAL & confrontational work. It just wasnt so in your face. You have to LISTEN for it.

"Survival" - 9/10 - Love the melody with Nikki and Donna singing with her. Their voices blend so smoothly! It's like the meeker more sympathetic 1/2 sister of Human Nature.

"Secret" - 10/10 - Right up there with Like a Prayer IMO for best leadoff song from a Madonna album! LOVE Maddy's "deep" dark register.

"I'd Rather Be Your Lover" - 6/10 - Admittedly I tend to skip this one! I wish they had kept the version with 2Pac instead of Me'shell.

"Inside of Me" - 7/10 - After PROMISE TO TRY and I'LL REMEMBER, it's the next best song about her mother. Love the melody and the "when foolish people try to bring me down" line. The only problem with this is that her vocals are too loud over the track! Love the Aaliyah BACK & FORTH sample!

"Don't Stop" - 6.5/10 - I don't hate it but it sounds like a b-side. Contrary to popular belief I dont think this would have been a strong single either.

"Human Nature" - 10/10 - Total brilliance! LOVE the way she went after her critics SPRINGER style. Madonna usually doesnt lash back at her critics so directly & the track is pure PERFECTION! Alot of Non Madonna fans who heard this song like it. It almost goes perfect with the Snoop Dogg/Dr. Dre style that was raging at the time! I maintain that this WOULD have been a huge hit for her if it had followed TAB instead of BS!

"Forbidden Love" - 7.5/10 - Not my favorite but one of the few "romantic" Madonna songs perfect for love making. Better than the other song she made with the same title.

"Love Tried to Welcome Me" - 9.5/10 - Such beautiful sad song. Has a cool quiet wintery softness to it! The subtle jazzy soul and her voice compliment each other PERFECTLY. This SHOULD have been a single. The part in the middle where the drums drop out at "love tried to break me" reminds me of the "will I ever have the chance again" break down on Live to Tell.

"Sanctuary" - 6.5/10 - OK this is where the CD starts to get weird. Dont care much for it. Too pretentious & "arty" but despite it being so strange it somewhat continues that "for lovers" vibe that Forbidden Love started.

"Bedtime Story" - 7/10 - I'm so hot and cold with Bedtime Story. Took me a VERY long time to appreciate it. Years! When I first heard it I despised it and I resented them making it a single. But despite the weirdness of it and how its clashes with the r&b-ac vibe of the album on the surface it's got a certain softness that still makes it "fit" on the album in a roundabout way. I still have to be in the mood for it and but when I am its actually somewhat enjoyable. Shouldnt have been a single tho!

"Take a Bow" - 10/10 - Pure BLISS! Gorgeous structure. Poetic lyrics. Its a sad song but doesnt stew in its own depression like LTTWM. Its poignant AND confrontational. Madonna and Babyface play off each other so well. Like that he just "backed" her without it being a full on take turns duet. She looks FANTASTIC in the video. Arguably the most beautiful she ever did. 7 week run at #1 and MUCH deserved!!!

I LOVED the 94-97 period of Madonna. The grown up, mature, sensual and demure Madonna. She seemed so serene and at peace. Or at the very least WANTED peace and acted accordingly! This cd is easily my favorite of hers! So smooth & cool. The first Madonna that returned her to "her roots." Sadly there wouldn't get another one for 14 long years! ;)

i love BS...its in my top 5 madonna albums.

fav trax: LOVE TRIED TO WELCOME ME

INSIDE OF ME

SANCTUARY

BEDTIME STORY

SECRET

"all that i know is i dont understand, why my happiness, always lies in the palm of your hand."

Bedtime Stories is easily the smartest Madonna album of her career. People see the “Produced by Babyface” tag and want to dismiss it as disingenuous, stagnant, or fluff…but it actually clandestinely represents everything she is:

• It’s calculated, yet genuine → on one hand she absolutely was using its assessable commercial softness to slide out from under the negative shadow of the SEX period…but on the other, she implores you to listen to the music.

• It’s sexual → “I’d Rather Be Your Lover” / “Forbidden Love.”

• It’s confrontational and vindictive → “Human Nature.”

• It’s confessional, vulnerable and forlorn → “Survival” / “Love Tried to Welcome Me” / “Inside of Me” / “Take a Bow.”

• It’s experimental and foretelling → “Sanctuary” / “Bedtime Story.”

• It’s got songs with cryptic meanings → “Secret” / “Inside of Me” / “Bedtime Story.”

• It’s dance-y → “Don’t Stop” / “Bedtime Story”

Again, multiple facets of her personality (and the elements that usually comprise a Madonna album) are all over it. With it she proved how resilient she can be. After the darkest, most outwardly maligned, period of her fame, she immediately follows it up with a multi-platinum, Grammy-nominated album that featured the longest running chart topper of her career…and helped set the stage for her to get to play Evita, which had been a longtime career goal, and all seemed to come full circle with Ray of Light. With BS she literally outfoxed the same media that, for up to two years to that point, wouldn’t quit predicting that her career was over. Why so many people are down on this album is a little beyond me.

On one point, though, I do disagree with you. Bedtime Stories—sonically—wasn’t a ‘return to roots’ like Hard Candy was. If anything, it was a ‘moving on’ type of album. Comparing the two because they are both produced by hitmakers and are lightly urban-tinged is actually a gross oversimplification of them both. They have about as much in common as Like a Virgin and Erotica do.

I love this album. It's the first M album i ever bought (until that point, my father wouldn't let me listen to any of her music, so i had to sneak into my sisters room to listen to her albums and cd's) It's the album where i fell in love with her music.

Human Nature and Bedtime Story were my faves.

in my opinion this is one of Madonna's best albums; i like very much the sound of it and it's her most R&B album, very different from the others. what impressed me the most was her voice, so deep and calm and relaxed; just to see how strong her voice was back then, try to listen first to 'Like a Virgin' and then to 'Secret'. the improvement is like...wow!!!

all the tracks are brilliant; BS is one the best songs of her career :inlove:

Guest Danny86
On one point, though, I do disagree with you. Bedtime Stories—sonically—wasn’t a ‘return to roots’ like Hard Candy was. If anything, it was a ‘moving on’ type of album. Comparing the two because they are both produced by hitmakers and are lightly urban-tinged is actually a gross oversimplification of them both. They have about as much in common as Like a Virgin and Erotica do.

Agreed. They sound completely different, HC is mostly uptempo while BS does not have any proper dance track and is filled with R&B ballads. I'd say that "Don't Stop" is kinda a throwback to her roots, it's basically "Everybody" in a SWV remix, but it's not a representation of the album at all.

Apart from "Inside Of Me", which totally bores me, I think it's a great album, has a fantastic flow. Lyrically, it's also among her better ones, I'd even say it's one of her more mature albums. And even though it's very IN sounding, I don't think most of the album sounds dated today (in comparison to Erotica for example), "Sanctuary" or "Take A Bow" held up very well.

Guest Johnkm

I used to reallt dislike most of this album. Until one day I sat down and actually listened to it and it really is rather fantastic.

Bedtime Story is one of my favourite Madonna songs, its fantastic, and the video is even better. Also Survival, Sanctuary, Love Tried To Welcome Me, Take A Bow, Forbidden Love are all very highly rated too. Its just the Secret and Inside Of Me i have issues with. Far from being one of her best albums, a least for me the lack of anyting upbeat is unforgivable, it is still a very accomplised and listenable album.

Guest Johnkm
it's better than erotica, music, AL and Candy.

I Definitely agree with you on Music, but none of the rest.

Guest Danny86
Survival should have been a single.

Oh, definitely. I think Madonna even called it as the radio version of "Human Nature". It's one of the most IN sounding tracks of the album, and passed the same message as "HN" in a more appealing way.

It's the first album where the singles choices were noticeably affected by the differences between Warner and Madonna. "Bedtime Story" is a good song and the video is amazing, but commercially it was a huge mistake and it killed the album.

just to see how strong her voice was back then, try to listen first to 'Like a Virgin' and then to 'Secret'. the improvement is like...wow!!!

Doesn't even sound like the same singer, I agree. Both are equal opposite extremes of Madonna's voice.

Agreed. They sound completely different, HC is mostly uptempo while BS does not have any proper dance track and is filled with R&B ballads. I'd say that "Don't Stop" is kinda a throwback to her roots, it's basically "Everybody" in a SWV remix, but it's not a representation of the album at all.

Apart from "Inside Of Me", which totally bores me, I think it's a great album, has a fantastic flow. Lyrically, it's also among her better ones, I'd even say it's one of her more mature albums. And even though it's very IN sounding, I don't think most of the album sounds dated today (in comparison to Erotica for example), "Sanctuary" or "Take A Bow" held up very well.

Indeed. Unlike Erotica, which virtually screams “1991/1992,” Bedtime Stories hasn't really aged at all. I think many of the tracks could be released (or re-released) as singles today and still sound as contemporary now as they did then. Along with Like a Prayer, it's Madonna's best preserved album.

Unfortunately, as pointed out, BS marks the start of Madonna and WB obviously clashing over singles choices (and fumbling with the long term promotion) to the point where it wound up hindering the album. If they had played their cards right, it probably could have yielded four or five hit singles and extended all the way up to the onslaught of “You'll See” and Something to Remember.

"My baby's got a secret"

I remember back in the day heard Madonna's new single SECRET was the hottest in the country (US), all because a BIG jump in the Billboard chart. Althoug it wasn't a #1 hit, I think even people who weren't Madonna fans felt in love with this song.

"All the world is a stage and everyone has their part but how was I to know which way the story goes, how was I to know you'd break, you'd break my heart"

The best part of this song, and I was happy to hear week after week (During 7 of them) than it was # 1 song in the US.

Nevertheless my favs in order are Bedtime Story, Human Nature, Secret, Love tried to welcome me, Take a bow and Survival.

Edited by magom

I might have been premature to call it a "RETURN TO ROOTS" cd like HC. Ok its not. But I DO think that in some ways BS feels like a cool cousin of HC! Secret & Human Nature could I think mix well with most HC tracks & DEVIL could probably do the same on BS.

It's a good album- a bit more enjoyable than the "other" hitmaker album (HC).

My least favorite probably are "Forbidden Love" (drags a little too much for me). "Human Nature" is a better video than song, but the album versions definitely is preferable to the radio edit.

Here's a smart review from Jim Farber, that appeared in Entertainment Weekly:

Don't let Madonna's cool front fool you: Being pronounced dead by the media spooked her deeply. Just listen to the way she snipes back at the press on her new album, Bedtime Stories. ''You punished me for telling you my fantasies,'' she complains in ''Human Nature,'' ''and held me down and tried to make me break.'' In the title track, the press drubbing nearly crushes her. Fed up, Madonna murmurs, ''I will never explain again.''

She won't have to after Bedtime Stories. More than any previous Madonna album, the latest finds the singer telling us the truth about her life. In various songs, she not only unloads on the media but also details a troubling and deeply personal view of romance. Never have her lyrics been this autobiographical.

Her music strides into new territory, too. Perhaps inspired by her brush with media-death, Madonna has found a whole new way to express herself.

On one level, the album extends a pattern from her last work, 1992's Erotica, by living for the groove, pop hooks be damned. That's not good news for anyone carrying a torch for the chirpy old pre-Erotica Madonna sound; they'll barely find a single track here to cherish.

Even those who swoon for records ruled by rhythm will have to get used to Bedtime Stories' radical departure. On Erotica, Madonna explored the stripped, shadowy bass beats of the underground gay dance genre known as ''sleaze.'' Bedtime Stories replaces Madonna's gay alliances with her ongoing obsession with black culture. On tracks produced by Dallas Austin, Dave Hall, and Babyface, the album co-opts the latest wave of new-jack R&B. As befits men who have overseen artists like Mary J. Blige, TLC, and Joi, Madonna's numerous producers stress sumptuous bass hooks over conventional melodies. They also push mid-paced, looping rhythms over brisker beats; not a single number mounts the fast track. Even the album's strongest call to the dance floor (''Don't Stop'') forsakes the exuberance of old club hits like ''Into the Groove'' for a measured grind.

If that sounds like a drag to older listeners, it's right in step with today's youth. Madonna has eagerly adopted the sound that now regularly shoots artists like Xscape, Changing Faces, and Aaliyah up Billboard's Top 100 singles chart, a style geared toward audiences young enough to still buy singles. Such a move might seem opportunistic, but Madonna takes to the sound far more credibly than did Michael Jackson (who tried a similar update with producer Teddy Riley on his Dangerous album).

Better yet, Madonna winds up subverting the genre. Male artists normally control new jack swing, using women as their sex puppets, but Madonna kicks that formula in the groin. Not only could she never be considered any boy's toy, but in a way, she could actually be viewed as new jack swing's godmother. Her early work presaged new jack's central belief — that there's nothing separating raw sex from true romance. And that's a far more radical view when it comes from a woman than from a man.

To increase the threat, Madonna's lyrics mingle sex and romance in more personal ways than ever. Previously, she wrote largely in characters and slogans; now she writes, more complexly, from the heart. In several songs she exposes an emotional perversity with the clarity she once had reserved for her sexual kinks. In ''Forbidden Love'' she dismisses any relationship untouched by taboo, in ''Love Tried to Welcome Me'' she fetishizes rejection, and in ''Sanctuary'' she aligns love and death in a way her shrink may want to seriously examine.

In fact, she's on far surer ground thrashing through such neurotic (if not uncommon) views of relationships than she is trashing the media. In striking back at her critics, Madonna simply sounds self-righteous and smug. ''I didn't know I couldn't talk about sex,'' she sneers in ''Human Nature.'' ''Did I say something true?'' Yes. But tooting your own horn about it just sounds petty. For Madonna, luckily, revenge needn't lie in such squabbles. She wins through the catchy bass hooks and clear persona of the music.

Longtime Madonna fans may still pine for the ecstatic buoyancy of her early hits. And even open-minded listeners may find that the new tracks work less as individual songs than as a sustained mood suite for the boudoir. But seven albums into her career, there's no denying that Madonna keeps moving forward and crossing barriers - this time, helping another kind of black music further penetrate into the mainstream. Apparently, pop's most shameless exhibitionist still has something to reveal.

B+

Posted Oct 28, 1994

I love this album!

Totally underrated. One of her best if not the best.

Payed way for the fab ROL later on with her exploring more "mystic" sounds in "Bedtime Stories" and "Sanctuary".

One of Madonna's best albums lyrically aswell.

I love the softness and the vulnerability of this album. I love each Madonna album, but this one is one of those where you can actually feel her more personal self, not just lyrically, but in the whole tone.

Guest blueferris

for the most part i agree with them.

except for their ragging on love tried to welcome me.

Guest Pud Whacker
Woo hoo. Finally reached 200 posts and can now create thread! :vogue:

What better way to start than with a BEDTIME STORIES appreciation thread! ;)

Some fans like to criticize it for the < oh no > "hit makers" and yes it WAS a somewhat obvious attempt to play nice after the backlash of EROTICA but despite all that this is actually one of the few CDs in her first 10 years that DIDN'T lure people in with a bunch of controvesy and button pushing. To me its like she wanted you to forget about all that for a change and just listen to the music (and of course forget about that roboslut Dita that nearly ruined her career.) The album is soft & sensual & vulnerable. Even tho so many "hardcore" fans like to give it grief because < oh no > "hit makers" and < oh no > black sound.......underneath the smooth calm of it it was probably her most covertly EXPERIMENTAL & confrontational work. It just wasnt so in your face. You have to LISTEN for it.

"Survival" - 9/10 - Love the melody with Nikki and Donna singing with her. Their voices blend so smoothly! It's like the meeker more sympathetic 1/2 sister of Human Nature.

"Secret" - 10/10 - Right up there with Like a Prayer IMO for best leadoff song from a Madonna album! LOVE Maddy's "deep" dark register.

"I'd Rather Be Your Lover" - 6/10 - Admittedly I tend to skip this one! I wish they had kept the version with 2Pac instead of Me'shell.

"Inside of Me" - 7/10 - After PROMISE TO TRY and I'LL REMEMBER, it's the next best song about her mother. Love the melody and the "when foolish people try to bring me down" line. The only problem with this is that her vocals are too loud over the track! Love the Aaliyah BACK & FORTH sample!

"Don't Stop" - 6.5/10 - I don't hate it but it sounds like a b-side. Contrary to popular belief I dont think this would have been a strong single either.

"Human Nature" - 10/10 - Total brilliance! LOVE the way she went after her critics SPRINGER style. Madonna usually doesnt lash back at her critics so directly & the track is pure PERFECTION! Alot of Non Madonna fans who heard this song like it. It almost goes perfect with the Snoop Dogg/Dr. Dre style that was raging at the time! I maintain that this WOULD have been a huge hit for her if it had followed TAB instead of BS!

"Forbidden Love" - 7.5/10 - Not my favorite but one of the few "romantic" Madonna songs perfect for love making. Better than the other song she made with the same title.

"Love Tried to Welcome Me" - 9.5/10 - Such beautiful sad song. Has a cool quiet wintery softness to it! The subtle jazzy soul and her voice compliment each other PERFECTLY. This SHOULD have been a single. The part in the middle where the drums drop out at "love tried to break me" reminds me of the "will I ever have the chance again" break down on Live to Tell.

"Sanctuary" - 6.5/10 - OK this is where the CD starts to get weird. Dont care much for it. Too pretentious & "arty" but despite it being so strange it somewhat continues that "for lovers" vibe that Forbidden Love started.

"Bedtime Story" - 7/10 - I'm so hot and cold with Bedtime Story. Took me a VERY long time to appreciate it. Years! When I first heard it I despised it and I resented them making it a single. But despite the weirdness of it and how its clashes with the r&b-ac vibe of the album on the surface it's got a certain softness that still makes it "fit" on the album in a roundabout way. I still have to be in the mood for it and but when I am its actually somewhat enjoyable. Shouldnt have been a single tho!

"Take a Bow" - 10/10 - Pure BLISS! Gorgeous structure. Poetic lyrics. Its a sad song but doesnt stew in its own depression like LTTWM. Its poignant AND confrontational. Madonna and Babyface play off each other so well. Like that he just "backed" her without it being a full on take turns duet. She looks FANTASTIC in the video. Arguably the most beautiful she ever did. 7 week run at #1 and MUCH deserved!!!

I LOVED the 94-97 period of Madonna. The grown up, mature, sensual and demure Madonna. She seemed so serene and at peace. Or at the very least WANTED peace and acted accordingly! This cd is easily my favorite of hers! So smooth & cool. The first Madonna that returned her to "her roots." Sadly there wouldn't get another one for 14 long years! ;)

congrats hesser!!! great first thread!!! love bedtime stories. one of her best - in the way of just listening to it in the back, it doesnt require stand up attention, per usual with madonna. over the years its really grown on me - i even love dont stop and id rather be your lover. :thumbsup:

"Survival" - 9/10

"Secret" - 8/10 -

"I'd Rather Be Your Lover" - 3/10

"Inside of Me" - 9/10 -

"Don't Stop" - 4/10 -

"Human Nature" - 7/10 -

"Forbidden Love" - 8/10 -

"Love Tried to Welcome Me" - 5/10

"Sanctuary" - 7/10 -

"Bedtime Story" - 9/10 -

"Take a Bow" - 7/10 -

for the most part i agree with them.

except for their ragging on love tried to welcome me.

They are funny to watch, but I barely agree with them.

She is like always saying the same stuff and he sounds negative even when he says something positive :lol:

They are funny to watch, but I barely agree with them.

She is like always saying the same stuff and he sounds negative even when he says something positive :lol:

I love them!

But you should watch them review "Hard Candy". ITS BRUTAL! :confused:

But back to this Album

"Bedtime Stories" for me was Pretty Good.

I Like alot of the songs, but I just think a couple are too plain.

Almost like they're still Demos.

On the positive side:

HUMANNATUREVIDEO.jpg

^That Video was my EARLIEST MADONNA MEMORY. :dramatic:

Survival 7/10

Secret 10/10

I'd Rather be your Lover 8/10

Don't Stop 4/10

Inside of Me 8/10

Human Nature 9/10

Forbidden Love 8/10

Love Tried to Welcome me 7/10

Sanctuary 9/10

Bedtime Story 10/10

Take a Bow 6/10

LOVES IT

Another one from my blast of a time being 16/17, getting the album on the first day....GLORIOUS

Inside of Me, altho much disagreed with by other fans, is my FAVE

Guest vermicious knid

I don't trust the opinion of anyone who doesn't love, cherish, and treasure the majority of songs on this album.

You know what, boys, this is funny.

As some of my fans and followers and stalkers might know I have always disliked this album - and by that I mean I've only played it a few thousand times. It's probably been my least favourite Madonna album.

But as I am now a gay of slightly more mature age, I'm beginning to click with the romantic melancholia that permeates this beautiful album. And it's sort of ironic how much more dignified she is on this album considering it is obviously the prequel to Hard Candy in retrospect, given that she was more or less a pariah when it was released and wasn't the "untouchable" legend that she is now (but seems intent on destroying.)