GHV2 Special Edition for $5 at Wal-Mart!

svperstar

Nicely done? "Oh yeah, let's put bucketloads of stamp-sized pictures of Madonna, she's had so many looks. Oh yeah and let's have some 'ironic' write-up from some humourless Englishman friend of her husband's because, well, y'know, she's kinda English now."

It was lazy and, frankly, insulting to her legacy rather than "cool" (which it undoubtedly thought it was.)

wtf did the write up have to do with the design??

nothing, absolutely nothing.

the design was simple and beautiful. love that she didnt shoot a new photoshoot for it.

its composed of nothing but Madonna. images throughout her career.

the colors, the logos, the fonts, the graphics, and the photos all work together.

heres a look at the Special Edition:

ghv2le.png

i saw Like A Virgin remastered for 5 bucks too. Never saw the ghv2 limited edition though which i wanna get

wtf did the write up have to do with the design??

nothing, absolutely nothing.

the design was simple and beautiful. love that she didnt shoot a new photoshoot for it.

its composed of nothing but Madonna. images throughout her career.

the colors, the logos, the fonts, the graphics, and the photos all work together.

heres a look at the Special Edition:

ghv2le.png

Lovely.

My copy is still sealed.

The design has always been the strongest point for me (as a fan). I think, yes, for the casual fan this is a great compilation. Own this and TIC and you've got a great M collection for a casual fan. (That would never do for me and for many of us, of course!) Love the cover -- reminds me of the one shot (from a similar angle, with her blonde hair covering half of her face) from the set of the "Express Yourself" video.

The worst part for me is the track sequencing -- I would have preferred chronological even. (I suppose they didn't want to kick off the collection with "Erotica" and so that's why they didn't do chronological.) It's just so uneven. Why not have some ballads together and then ease out of them with a something a little down-tempo (say, "Don't Tell Me" -- which starts slower -- or "What It Feels Like for a Girl")? No, instead we go from The Power of Good-bye to Beautiful Stranger to Frozen. Sorry, but that's just a strange order to me. (I guess using "Ray of Light" to segue from a ballad like "Take a Bow" was a smarter choice -- but then, why not put the RoL ballads nearer to RoL and shove Take a Bow toward Bedtime Story, since they came from the same album? Better yet, put it in front of Bedtime Story, so that BS is next to the RoL ballads -- that would make for a better flow anyway, since BS was a pre-cursor to her RoL work.) Whatever... it's all water over the dam at this point.

And the Ray of Light edit is really unforgiveable. It may well be the official radio edit, but I'd never heard that prior to GHV2. My understanding is that the full album version could have fit on there with its running time. I don't understand why they cut that one down.

I do, however, like the Deeper & Deeper edit. Those extra bursts punch up the intensity a bit.

Guest bluejean
Bullshit. The masters used were those on the original singles... you can line them up one on top of the other in an audio editor and neither strays. EQ reads the same as well, with the only real difference being the volume level increase of a few pre-1998 tracks, and "Beautiful Stranger" was turned down.

Never understood why fans so loathe GHV2. It's a little pointless if you happen to have all of her stuff, but it's as though once the lack of new material was confirmed, one queen yelled foul and the rest ran with it for 8 fucking years. No one should so easily dismiss a collection culled from Erotica, Ray Of Light, etc...

The song choices were not appropriate, the 79/80 minutes wasn't full used and songs like Ray Of Light and Don't Cry For Me Argentina especially included bad edits. It's nothing to do with the absense of new songs. It just sucked.

Guest Danny86
The worst part for me is the track sequencing -- I would have preferred chronological even. (I suppose they didn't want to kick off the collection with "Erotica" and so that's why they didn't do chronological.) It's just so uneven. Why not have some ballads together and then ease out of them with a something a little down-tempo (say, "Don't Tell Me" -- which starts slower -- or "What It Feels Like for a Girl")? No, instead we go from The Power of Good-bye to Beautiful Stranger to Frozen. Sorry, but that's just a strange order to me. (I guess using "Ray of Light" to segue from a ballad like "Take a Bow" was a smarter choice -- but then, why not put the RoL ballads nearer to RoL and shove Take a Bow toward Bedtime Story, since they came from the same album? Better yet, put it in front of Bedtime Story, so that BS is next to the RoL ballads -- that would make for a better flow anyway, since BS was a pre-cursor to her RoL work.) Whatever... it's all water over the dam at this point.

I'm totally sure they did not want to kick off with "Erotica" so this kinda random tracklist was done to avoid that. But I have to say, putting ballads together would have been really dull. If she actually used the real hits (and not the flops like "HN"), then it would have been a bad flowing compilation, like this:

1. This Used To Be My Playground

2. Erotica

3. Deeper And Deeper

4. Rain

5. I'll Remember

6. Secret

7. Take A Bow

8. You'll See

9. You Must Love Me

10. Don't Cry For Me Argentina

11. Frozen

12. Ray Of Light

13. The Power Of Good-Bye

14. Beautiful Stranger

15. American Pie

16. Music

17. Don't Tell Me

Half of it is basically Something To Remember extended, the sequencing would have been a drag. Of course it is a fair representation of her 90s output, because she went really downtempo for most of the decade, but I guess after "ROL" & "Music", they wanted to shift the focus away from the AC stuff...

In the end, I don't mind the actual tracklist order we got (other than "WIFLFAG" being included over "Rain" or "AP") but I agree about the butchered versions of "Frozen" or "ROL"...

I'm totally sure they did not want to kick off with "Erotica" so this kinda random tracklist was done to avoid that. But I have to say, putting ballads together would have been really dull. If she actually used the real hits (and not the flops like "HN"), then it would have been a bad flowing compilation, like this:

1. This Used To Be My Playground

2. Erotica

3. Deeper And Deeper

4. Rain

5. I'll Remember

6. Secret

7. Take A Bow

8. You'll See

9. You Must Love Me

10. Don't Cry For Me Argentina

11. Frozen

12. Ray Of Light

13. The Power Of Good-Bye

14. Beautiful Stranger

15. American Pie

16. Music

17. Don't Tell Me

Half of it is basically Something To Remember extended, the sequencing would have been a drag. Of course it is a fair representation of her 90s output, because she went really downtempo for most of the decade, but I guess after "ROL" & "Music", they wanted to shift the focus away from the AC stuff...

In the end, I don't mind the actual tracklist order we got (other than "WIFLFAG" being included over "Rain" or "AP") but I agree about the butchered versions of "Frozen" or "ROL"...

Well, I guess I wasn't clear... I don't mind something like "American Pie" or "Don't Tell Me" or "What It Feels Like for a Girl" or even "Ray of Light" coming between ballads. Because I think they start out a little 'softer' for lack a better term. "Beautiful Stranger" starts off really jarringly, with a lot of energy. (I love the song, don't get me wrong!) I'm just saying it's an odd choice to put between ballads like POG and Frozen. It seems like they only half-heartedly mixed up the order. The earlier part of the decade is still early in the track order, the "Music" album stuff clusters all toward the end -- with only one track here or there randomly out of place. (I don't think DW/SfL is ill-fitting where it is, I guess. But TAB was oddly placed, imo.)

pms-1.jpg

I'll "bullshit" anyone who makes up things based on their prejudice for a release and doesn't bother to (and is seemingly unwilling to) check themselves. People do this all of the time whenever compilations, remasters, etc. come out. It's irresponsible.

You are aware that the single version of "Deeper And Deeper" on GHV2 is remixed and edited, right? If you're comparing to the Erotica album version, it's going to sound different. I can't help but think you're referring to the bad edit in the middle break which was poorly done making it go slightly off-beat...but this is exactly what was on the original single release.

Barring that you have the rarest of rare mispressed copies with faulty mastering (which you really should eBay), this is really simple to disprove. Here's what you do:

- Rip "Deeper And Deeper" as a wave (.wav) format file from both GHV2 and the original CD single. Any pressing of the CD single will do, so long as it's the "Edit"' version.

- Open them in a program with multi-track capability. I currently use Cool Edit.

- Find an identical point on each file, highlight them and put them into the multi-track.

- Go back to the original files for a moment and select either of the files (but only one) and select the "Invert" pre-set. You'll see that this makes each file peak in opposite points, cancelling each out.

- Mix down to one file and you will see.

The two will only cancel out if they are from an identical master. Any differences will be isolated in the mixdown. In the case of "Deeper And Deeper" the only difference between the original CD single release and GHV2 is 1db of volume. Repeating this process, but turning the CD single rip up by 1db leaves you with total silence meaning this is an idential master with the volume subtly bumped up.

It is impossible for two recordings with even the slightest variation to cancel each other out. Due to the mechanism of tape, it is impossible to recreate a master that will run at the exact same speed twice. The two tracks would veer off track from one another and phase (even if in the slightest amount.)

If you're unable to do this, rip a wave file of "Deeper And Deeper" from your GHV2, shoot it off to me and I'll check it against each and every disc I have containing the mix.

First of all MATTRESS I'm not making crap up based on my "prejudice" or whatever other crap you're trying to sell me, second of all I don't have the time or the inclination to sit there and compare note for note (maybe you do), I am however going by my HIGHLY TRAINED ears and my meticulous attention to audio detail, I don't need to run it through some silly software, that's what kids of today would do, I have too much experience dealing with sounds to do that, you go ahead and have a ball spending your time running stuff through softward, I know what I know and I hear what I hear and my CD version sounds like CRAP, period the END!

First of all MATTRESS I'm not making crap up based on my "prejudice" or whatever other crap you're trying to sell me, second of all I don't have the time or the inclination to sit there and compare note for note (maybe you do), I am however going by my HIGHLY TRAINED ears and my meticulous attention to audio detail, I don't need to run it through some silly software, that's what kids of today would do, I have too much experience dealing with sounds to do that, you go ahead and have a ball spending your time running stuff through softward, I know what I know and I hear what I hear and my CD version sounds like CRAP, period the END!

:rotfl:

1585773.jpg

Agclef and his "highly trained" ears.

i think its a neat collection

it was released at the best time, fantastic design and such, and the megamix is wonderful

the only problem is the disc itself: the tracklist and the edits

other than that, it wonderfully showcases her "popular singles" from 1992-2001. Before the American Life era, i use to pop in my GHv2 disc all the time. I loved hearing all those tracks on 1 disc. I usually just kept it on shuffle.

I wasn't a fan of Madonna when I had GHV2. I just liked her. So I guess it's the reason why I enjoyed it. Granted, only Something To Remember was the other Madonna album we had in the household then.