GHV2 Special Edition for $5 at Wal-Mart!

svperstar

From what I can tell not a damn thing is different other than the packaging. Cardboard book/sleeve thingy rather than a jewel case.

A travesty that this once went for upwards of $25.

i already own this beautifully designed hidden treasure

not very different to the standard version

digi-pack instead of jewel case, different disc image, i think there might be a few extra pages too

thats it

Is the disc really different? :confused: I thought it was the same. Then again I'm not exactly the best judge because I think I opened the original version like twice before I tossed it into storage a few years back.

^ Yeah, the disc image is different, too. It's got the photo of her from the "I Want You" video, as if it's the center label on a vinyl. (So part of the disc is black, as if it were a record.) The regular edition is that black-and-white geometric design with Japanese letters. No photo.

Yes, some pages are different from the regular edition, so there are different/more photos.

There is a gatefold in the middle, but it's not a poster by any means. Just fold out booklet-sized pages. So there are more little mini-Madonnas.

I bought this sometime when it was on sale -- but it was definitely more than $5!!! It might be worth the trip to WalMart to see if they have any other copies. The packaging always was the best part of GHV2... and the special edition packaging was nice, but it certainly wasn't worth $25 or more back then.

I have this digi-pak too. Worst audio quality ever. Songs sound slower in spots, just terrible collection (production-wise).

Bullshit. The masters used were those on the original singles... you can line them up one on top of the other in an audio editor and neither strays. EQ reads the same as well, with the only real difference being the volume level increase of a few pre-1998 tracks, and "Beautiful Stranger" was turned down.

Never understood why fans so loathe GHV2. It's a little pointless if you happen to have all of her stuff, but it's as though once the lack of new material was confirmed, one queen yelled foul and the rest ran with it for 8 fucking years. No one should so easily dismiss a collection culled from Erotica, Ray Of Light, etc...

Well I certainly am not the expert Cunttress is (:flirt2:) but the audio quality is certainly lower. It sounds more quiet and doesn't 'pop out' as much. I don't know a better way to explain it. I'm often in a mood to just hear a collection of latter day Madonna singles but I can't listen to GHV2 because the quality is so terrible.

I know Wal-Mart has a lot of those eco-friendly packages now (not sure if other retail outlets have them). But, I guess this different from those.

You'd think at $5, it would shoot GHV2 onto the catalog chart or somethin' (if there are a decent number of copies). But, alas, probably not.

Guest bedtimestorynyc
You'd think at $5, it would shoot GHV2 onto the catalog chart or somethin' (if there are a decent number of copies). But, alas, probably not.

exactly... cuz the release was pointless, lazy and stupid!

Bullshit. The masters used were those on the original singles... you can line them up one on top of the other in an audio editor and neither strays. EQ reads the same as well, with the only real difference being the volume level increase of a few pre-1998 tracks, and "Beautiful Stranger" was turned down.

Never understood why fans so loathe GHV2. It's a little pointless if you happen to have all of her stuff, but it's as though once the lack of new material was confirmed, one queen yelled foul and the rest ran with it for 8 fucking years. No one should so easily dismiss a collection culled from Erotica, Ray Of Light, etc...

Don't tell me BULLSHIT Mattress, I'm telling you that's how mine sounds...you can line them up all-day and night if you want, my version sounds like CRAP and that's a fact. Absolutely muffled in some spots, ad a matter of fact, Deeper and Deeper sounds slower and not as crystal clear as the original album version, that's just one problem----this collection is sub-par, uninspired and NO ONE had to tell me that or convince me of that, that was my feeling out of the gate with this CD.

Don't tell me BULLSHIT Mattress, I'm telling you that's how mine sounds...you can line them up all-day and night if you want, my version sounds like CRAP and that's a fact. Absolutely muffled in some spots, ad a matter of fact, Deeper and Deeper sounds slower and not as crystal clear as the original album version, that's just one problem----this collection is sub-par, uninspired and NO ONE had to tell me that or convince me of that, that was my feeling out of the gate with this CD.

pms-1.jpg

I'll "bullshit" anyone who makes up things based on their prejudice for a release and doesn't bother to (and is seemingly unwilling to) check themselves. People do this all of the time whenever compilations, remasters, etc. come out. It's irresponsible.

You are aware that the single version of "Deeper And Deeper" on GHV2 is remixed and edited, right? If you're comparing to the Erotica album version, it's going to sound different. I can't help but think you're referring to the bad edit in the middle break which was poorly done making it go slightly off-beat...but this is exactly what was on the original single release.

Barring that you have the rarest of rare mispressed copies with faulty mastering (which you really should eBay), this is really simple to disprove. Here's what you do:

- Rip "Deeper And Deeper" as a wave (.wav) format file from both GHV2 and the original CD single. Any pressing of the CD single will do, so long as it's the "Edit"' version.

- Open them in a program with multi-track capability. I currently use Cool Edit.

- Find an identical point on each file, highlight them and put them into the multi-track.

- Go back to the original files for a moment and select either of the files (but only one) and select the "Invert" pre-set. You'll see that this makes each file peak in opposite points, cancelling each out.

- Mix down to one file and you will see.

The two will only cancel out if they are from an identical master. Any differences will be isolated in the mixdown. In the case of "Deeper And Deeper" the only difference between the original CD single release and GHV2 is 1db of volume. Repeating this process, but turning the CD single rip up by 1db leaves you with total silence meaning this is an idential master with the volume subtly bumped up.

It is impossible for two recordings with even the slightest variation to cancel each other out. Due to the mechanism of tape, it is impossible to recreate a master that will run at the exact same speed twice. The two tracks would veer off track from one another and phase (even if in the slightest amount.)

If you're unable to do this, rip a wave file of "Deeper And Deeper" from your GHV2, shoot it off to me and I'll check it against each and every disc I have containing the mix.

I may be one of the few here who loves GHV2.

i think its a neat collection

it was released at the best time, fantastic design and such, and the megamix is wonderful

the only problem is the disc itself: the tracklist and the edits

other than that, it wonderfully showcases her "popular singles" from 1992-2001. Before the American Life era, i use to pop in my GHv2 disc all the time. I loved hearing all those tracks on 1 disc. I usually just kept it on shuffle.

I was astonished that the QUEEN of SELF PROMOTION failed to add at least

ONE NEW TRACK to make

the GHV2 collection a little more appealing to fans & non-fans. that was complete and utter bullshit.

Guest ursaminorjim

As an album? It was a sloppy cash-grab. As a collection of songs? Pretty damned good, I'd say.

Although I'll never understand all the hatred for the album cover. Sure, the title was beyond lame, but the artwork was nicely done.

As an album? It was a sloppy cash-grab. As a collection of songs? Pretty damned good, I'd say.

Although I'll never understand all the hatred for the album cover. Sure, the title was beyond lame, but the artwork was nicely done.

Nicely done? "Oh yeah, let's put bucketloads of stamp-sized pictures of Madonna, she's had so many looks. Oh yeah and let's have some 'ironic' write-up from some humourless Englishman friend of her husband's because, well, y'know, she's kinda English now."

It was lazy and, frankly, insulting to her legacy rather than "cool" (which it undoubtedly thought it was.)

Guest ursaminorjim

Fair enough, I guess - never saw the inside. I was talking purely about the album cover.

It's a cash-in from Warner, the type usually reserved for when an artist leaves a record company. Interestingly, the reverse is happening as Madonna will add new songs and possibly promote her next Greatest Hits even though she and Warner have parted ways. Sometimes things even out.

Fair enough, I guess - never saw the inside. I was talking purely about the album cover.

Oh the cover image is lovely. One of my favourites (but then again her album covers aren't all that great usually.)

Guest nothingfails0603

do they have a lot of these? At least now catalog sales might go up a bit for this

GHV2 was a total waste of time & was made for pure gluttony and commerce IMO. The only redeeming thing about it was that it added another platinum plaque to Madonna's totals. Its been at least 3-4 years since i last listened to my copy.