Is Lady Gaga The New Madonna?

TOUR2008

No.

The difference between Madonna in the early years and Lady Gaga is that Lady Gaga is COMPLETELY contrived. Not to say that's a bad thing, but she's playing a character. Madonna was not. Madonna has taken on personas for a video or a performance. But I feel Lady Gaga is doing it more in a David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust fashion. Really playing the character and living in it.

I do think though that Lady Gaga's ACT is hugely influenced by Madonna in terms of generating hype, performing and image.

But their musical style is also different. And so is their personality. In the beginning Madonna was a sparkling star with energy and an attitude. Lady Gaga is more outrageous yet mysterious and quite weird. Abit like Prince was.

Lady Gaga is not the new Madonna, she is her own person. I do believe she could have longevity. She's got what it takes. She'll never be bigger or better than Madonna though.

Wonderful and very insightful post. Agree with every word.

Why Is she being DISSECTED like a Frog in Biology?

She is GaGa. SHES A POP STAR.

They're ment to be disposable, fun-for-the-moment, flings.

Madonna is the wife you come home too. She cooks your meals, and irons your clothes.

GaGa is the chick you meet in the Hotel at 1:30 AM. Shes fun, but you know theres No Real relationship.

GaGa is cool, for teenagers like me.

We like to party, and we also like to get high, have sex, and party.

Her music encourages those things :demonic:

Guest hot revolver

I think Katy Perry is more like Madge. shes plays off her sexuality like Madonna has thruout her career

Why Is she being DISSECTED like a Frog in Biology?

She is GaGa. SHES A POP STAR.

They're ment to be disposable, fun-for-the-moment, flings.

Madonna is the wife you come home too. She cooks your meals, and irons your clothes.

GaGa is the chick you meet in the Hotel at 1:30 AM. Shes fun, but you know theres No Real relationship.

GaGa is cool, for teenagers like me.

We like to party, and we also like to get high, have sex, and party.

Her music encourages those things :demonic:

Yet you pretty much did the same.... dissecting her. That said, everything you mention thereafter was pretty much thought of Madonna back in the day. A lot of people thought she was a one hit wonder and when that proved to be false, many thought she'd be gone within a few years. When that didn't ring true, some try to write her off within the 90's. Nevertheless, Madonna is still here. And certainly Lady Ga Ga could be that second "wife" people come home too.

Whatever the case, she isn't Madonna. She never will be. She is her own unique person. I like her and I like Madonna. If someone said if I had to choose between... no doubt I'd say... "What for? Why can't I enjoy both?" If you pull out a gun, cock it and told me to choose, I'd quickly answer... "MADONNA!!" :electropop:

Guest Pud Whacker
No.

The difference between Madonna in the early years and Lady Gaga is that Lady Gaga is COMPLETELY contrived. Not to say that's a bad thing, but she's playing a character. Madonna was not. Madonna has taken on personas for a video or a performance. But I feel Lady Gaga is doing it more in a David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust fashion. Really playing the character and living in it.

I do think though that Lady Gaga's ACT is hugely influenced by Madonna in terms of generating hype, performing and image.

But their musical style is also different. And so is their personality. In the beginning Madonna was a sparkling star with energy and an attitude. Lady Gaga is more outrageous yet mysterious and quite weird. Abit like Prince was.

Lady Gaga is not the new Madonna, she is her own person. I do believe she could have longevity. She's got what it takes. She'll never be bigger or better than Madonna though.

totally. no question the girl has talent and buzz around her and a career ahead of her. shell be up there with gwen, pink, etc not the britneys, beyonces and the xtinas - but those musician kind of pop stars.

Guest harbors

http://perezhilton.com/page/4/

Lady GaGa is making history!

Her first single, Just Dance has became only the fifth song EVER to reach the 4 million mark in paid downloads!

And, her follow-up, Poker Face, just hit the 3 million mark this week!

Only two other female solo artists have had two songs top the 3 million mark - Rihanna and Katy Perry.

GaGa's album, The Fame, is in the top 10 on The Billboard 200 for the 14th week!!!!!!!

Huge week for the Lady!!!!!!

ENUFF SAID! She IS bigger than Madge.

She's A new Madonna, because she UNDERSTANDS the culture and her place in it. Britney was and is just a product of the culture, Christina has tried to break out but doesn't have the popularity (at the moment) or it would seem the instincts, (though I would not count her out just yet), Whitney and Amy Winehouse are victims of the culture, Kylie is content to be the nation's sweetheart, and at any rate has not translated her success to every territory.

Madonna these days does not seem to understand the culture, and why should she? So she has people to do that for her and they haven't been as ahead of the curve as she once was herself. It's not about how pretty or fit you are, Madonna is prettier and can run round the block more times than Gaga still; it's about the cultural antenae.

Guest harbors
She's A new Madonna, because she UNDERSTANDS the culture and her place in it. Britney was and is just a product of the culture, Christina has tried to break out but doesn't have the popularity (at the moment) or it would seem the instincts, (though I would not count her out just yet), Whitney and Amy Winehouse are victims of the culture, Kylie is content to be the nation's sweetheart, and at any rate has not translated her success to every territory.

Madonna these days does not seem to understand the culture, and why should she? So she has people to do that for her and they haven't been as ahead of the curve as she once was herself. It's not about how pretty or fit you are, Madonna is prettier and can run round the block more times than Gaga still; it's about the cultural antenae.

Totally agreed!

WOW ...... I like this concept! :clap::clap:

I'm not sure if I totally agree with your assessment (in bold). But I am able to comprehend what you mean to a point regarding Madonna. The thing for me is... why does she have to always be ahead? Surely, we could debate that it may make her more popular in today's culture, but let's face it, no matter what she does, she isn't getting any younger. And the fact is, most cultures are geared toward the youth. And if you ask any teenager if they want to be watching a 50 year old woman on stage and videos and buy their records or someone in their 20's, you can bet they are going choose the younger entertainer. Our culture is fixated on youth. Even you proved that for a fact with what you said above. Basically as you stated, if you're not up with the Jones', you no longer (as you put it) "understand the culture"?? Well, why is it that we have to always understand it from the youth's perspective? Why can't we understand it from her perspective too? After all, she's got years of experience she can teach younger generations. I just don't comprehend why people criticize people like Madonna who worked their ass off to get where they are and then the moment they seem disassociated with the current fad or what not, it means you no longer understand the culture.

I personally feel like she does understand the current scene these days. Just because some of us may not like the Britney Spears or Christina A., etc., and Madonna seems to embrace them, doesn't mean she's lost anything. I mean; these girls aren't just one hit wonders. They've had a huge following. Madonna sees that and now I think she sees the same of Lady Ga Ga. I cannot see why you think she doesn't understand the current culture when she constantly is found among it. In fact, some people could turn that around on her and say she's just a "has been" trying to get her last 15 minutes of fame with the younger generation.

The Madonna I see today is a woman who evolved from a street-wise intelligent ambition driven woman to a classy intelligent, ambition wealthy entertainer who refuses to move over just because society wants her to make room for the younger generation. I feel she's making an effort to embrace and understand the younger generation. And no doubt, since society drums into us that you have to be young to be relevant in the entertainment business, she is trying to break that idea. She was tough from the beginning and she's still tough today. There is virtually no other entertainer like her. She probably could physically kick most of the younger generation's asses.

Nobody named "Lady Gaga" is gonna survive more than 2 hit albums before becoming a contender for VH1 celebreality. She's a total cartoon and even more of a caricature than Britney.

No.

One is saying NO, the other YES. I have to say though, that both of these theories and views are interesting and I can partly agree with parts of both of them.

Well written aswell. There's actually some thought behind these two comments. :thumbsup:

I kind of agree with GaGa making an image and character. I also have to add though that she never comes across as especially smart in interviews, something Madonna has done most of the times. Whether this is a play by GaGa aswell, I guess only future can tell, but I think something that kept Madonna on her high place in this business is because she is smart.

Let's see if GaGa is putting actual strategic thought into her images like Madonna did with her stage persona, or if this GaGa character is just thinking of image itself and not WHY she's doing it.

I do think though, as i've written before, that GaGa is probably the closest to Madonna we've got in the last decade.

I can agree with the Christina comment aswell. Atleast she has showed that she is not a product, like in the Britney case. On the other hand she started out like one, Madonna never did and I have to say that GaGa neither. But Christina changed it up for the second album so I can't blame her too much. She was younger than both GaGa and Madonna where, when she became a star.

Anyways. It'll be interesting to see what GaGa will do next. If she's continuing on the same path, then she's obviously just thinking about the image and doesn't put any deep thought in it like Madonna did. But so far the GaGa strategy have worked very well. Here comes this young new artist from nowhere, she co-writes and co-produce her stuff, she becomes a superstar. Even if the music is not the same (how could it be? we're in a different time now) and even though GaGa is probably more trying to create a fake persona all over, then the similarities of how their careers have started are quite similar it seems.

Offcourse GaGa will not be a new Madonna. None of these new artist will live through such a long and healthy career, mostly on top, like Madonna did and has. But in this moment she's probably the closest we've got to a some sort of follower to Madonna.

Britney will never be though, because she's just a product, just as some of you pointed out.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say -that Madonna does understand the culture or that she doesn't and it's ok that she doesn't.

Of course an artist is going to get naturally less relevant as they get older, and Madonna has done great to still have the notoriety and incredible success she still enjoys. Look at people like Annie Lennox; still producing great music, still popular, but has limited apeal to a younger market nowadays, and you are right, that IS no problem, but it would be a problem to a lot of Madonna's fans, who have a lot invested in Madonna remaining youthful and hip forever, as Madonna does herself. She probably faces more of a problem because she is not an avid consumer of popular culture (magazines, TV) so is even more disconnected.

So if she does want to remain a force in popular culture and ahead of the curve, she needs to connect through others, which I think she was doing through Stuart Price. I think in a very down to earth way he connected her with what was current -not necessarily what was cutting edge -I mean the snobs had already moved on to new things long ago when Madonna said how much she liked Goldfrapp's Supernature, just what was current and kind of cool. I don't think she has found anyone like that in this era yet.

I'm not sure if I totally agree with your assessment (in bold). But I am able to comprehend what you mean to a point regarding Madonna. The thing for me is... why does she have to always be ahead? Surely, we could debate that it may make her more popular in today's culture, but let's face it, no matter what she does, she isn't getting any younger. And the fact is, most cultures are geared toward the youth. And if you ask any teenager if they want to be watching a 50 year old woman on stage and videos and buy their records or someone in their 20's, you can bet they are going choose the younger entertainer. Our culture is fixated on youth. Even you proved that for a fact with what you said above. Basically as you stated, if you're not up with the Jones', you no longer (as you put it) "understand the culture"?? Well, why is it that we have to always understand it from the youth's perspective? Why can't we understand it from her perspective too? After all, she's got years of experience she can teach younger generations. I just don't comprehend why people criticize people like Madonna who worked their ass off to get where they are and then the moment they seem disassociated with the current fad or what not, it means you no longer understand the culture.

I personally feel like she does understand the current scene these days. Just because some of us may not like the Britney Spears or Christina A., etc., and Madonna seems to embrace them, doesn't mean she's lost anything. I mean; these girls aren't just one hit wonders. They've had a huge following. Madonna sees that and now I think she sees the same of Lady Ga Ga. I cannot see why you think she doesn't understand the current culture when she constantly is found among it. In fact, some people could turn that around on her and say she's just a "has been" trying to get her last 15 minutes of fame with the younger generation.

The Madonna I see today is a woman who evolved from a street-wise intelligent ambition driven woman to a classy intelligent, ambition wealthy entertainer who refuses to move over just because society wants her to make room for the younger generation. I feel she's making an effort to embrace and understand the younger generation. And no doubt, since society drums into us that you have to be young to be relevant in the entertainment business, she is trying to break that idea. She was tough from the beginning and she's still tough today. There is virtually no other entertainer like her. She probably could physically kick most of the younger generation's asses.

well said :clap:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say -that Madonna does understand the culture or that she doesn't and it's ok that she doesn't.

Of course an artist is going to get naturally less relevant as they get older, and Madonna has done great to still have the notoriety and incredible success she still enjoys. Look at people like Annie Lennox; still producing great music, still popular, but has limited apeal to a younger market nowadays, and you are right, that IS no problem, but it would be a problem to a lot of Madonna's fans, who have a lot invested in Madonna remaining youthful and hip forever, as Madonna does herself. She probably faces more of a problem because she is not an avid consumer of popular culture (magazines, TV) so is even more disconnected.

So if she does want to remain a force in popular culture and ahead of the curve, she needs to connect through others, which I think she was doing through Stuart Price. I think in a very down to earth way he connected her with what was current -not necessarily what was cutting edge -I mean the snobs had already moved on to new things long ago when Madonna said how much she liked Goldfrapp's Supernature, just what was current and kind of cool. I don't think she has found anyone like that in this era yet.

As much as I love COADF and understand the success of it I can't agree that Stuart was some kind of connection for Madonna to the "current culture of that time".

COADF is primarily a dance-euro flavored album, just a little more polished and classy maybe, but nothing new really nor very "current". The purpose of this album was to bring Madonna back into the spotlight as this queen of the dancefloor. A comeback from the down period of seriousness that was the American Life era. Back to gay fanbase and the Euro public, that still got her back.

And it accomplished what it was meant to do. But to say that he connected Madonna with the "in-culture" of that time, I can't agree with.

I'm saying why say she isn't connecting with the current culture when it shouldn't matter? Why can't we just appreciate where she takes us, rather her trying to connect with what you and some others think is impacting the current culture these days.

But I pretty much disagree with that statement because I feel she is connecting to what is current these days. Yet at the same time, I feel she's going her own direction as well... as she always does. Like Zezwer stated, I don't think her connection with Stuart was connecting her to what's current. It just seemed to connect more to what her fans like the most.

Though, let's be realistic here, there is no doubt she is eager to grab a couple more hits in the U.S., and that is why I feel she worked with Timabland, Timberlake, Kayne, etc. Obviously some fans just didn't like it. I understand that. Although, it initially did work out for her with "4 Minutes" being a huge hit for her. Unfortunately, that success didn't carry over to her album. Her fans weren't strong enough to make the album a huge success and I think she kinda knew it would take more than her fans to make "Hard Candy" a success.

You and I are pretty much hooked. We're most likely going to buy whatever she shits out. We may not like it, but we'll still buy it. However, I really feel that she's been wanting to capture the eye of America and that's why she did "Hard Candy". Again, you and others may not really like the direction, but she took a chance. She experimented with a sound that we all could argue is not so cutting edge. But the thing is she did record a current record with "Hard Candy". It may not have the same feeling that "Confessions..." had, but it was something she had to do.

All in all, "Confessions..." was an album for the majority of her fans. "Hard Candy" wasn an album she was trying to reach further than her fans. It may have failed, but the first single was promising to her. The proof is that most of Madonna fans would pass on much of "Hard Candy" for any of her other classic DANCE albums.

You're speaking from a fan's perspective. In all fairness to you and her fans, I understand why you want an album you're going to enjoy, not something just to appeal to what is current. Yet, isn't that what you're criticizing her not doing??? Not doing something that is "current" of this culture?? I'm sorry but I think "Hard Candy" is quite current. It may have been the tail end of what is current, but it's quite current.

In the end, I am able to admit it's just stereotypical agism for her. She could put out a stellar album and it still won't do as good as when she first was popular in the 80's. The only chance for her to be as successful as she was in the 80's and early 90's, is to keep making albums and hope one or two of them will be a fluke of success and everyone around the world can admittingly enjoy at the moment. But it can't be contrived which I would agree "Hard Candy" was to a point. It has to be something different where she isn't looking for a hit. I think "Ray of Light" was the last time she just made a cool ass album where she didn't worry about if it was going to succeed or fit in with the current culture. And look where it got her. She won many grammys and it is still regarded as one of her best albums to date.

Madonna doesn't need to understand the culture cause as a part of pop culture herself she played a part in creating the culture we see today... I would prefer Madonna just did Madonna and didn't try to fit in with the culture of today. Madonna already has her Madonnaness, she doesn't need to imitate herself from 20 years ago. She has her career, her name, her legacy and Lady GaGa has just begun.

I do like Lady GaGas fashion but it does come across as TRYING too hard to be unique or artistic. And she seems to be doing alot all at once, so we will see where shes at in 5 years... or so.

Her music isn't anything different to whats out these days. Everyones doing the 80s 'freaky fashion' theme these days. From Kanye to Rihanna to GaGa... We won't see another 80s.

Let's have this discussion when GaGa puts out an album as good as Like A Prayer or Ray of Light.

I think she's definitely got the fashion thing going on (at least in an artsy way) and she makes some catchy dance hits. However, I'm not sure she's really brought anything new to the culture just yet. I do like her better than most of the trash that's come along so far.

Madonna doesn't need to understand the culture cause as a part of pop culture herself she played a part in creating the culture we see today... I would prefer Madonna just did Madonna and didn't try to fit in with the culture of today. Madonna already has her Madonnaness, she doesn't need to imitate herself from 20 years ago. She has her career, her name, her legacy and Lady GaGa has just begun.

I completely agree, and I would LOVE to see what Madonna would produce if she just did exactly what she felt like and didn't give a shit about chart placings etc. But I'm not sure that is Madonna. But who knows what's around the corner.

Is Lady Gaga the new Madonna? HELL NO!! I don't see millions of little girls dressing like her or wanting to be her the way Madonna had girls (and boys) acting in the 80's. She's not doing anything shocking or new so I don't see longevity for her. And sorry she's not pretty. Madonna always and still has new looks every few months. Brittney and all the rest still look the same after ten years. Madonna always looked pretty and I hate when people want to make these corny pop artists into Madonna. They tried it with Brittney and Christina and now someone named Gaga, please!

Gwen to a certain degree, but she certainly is NOT a musician...just because she fronted a band.

PINK most definitely was manufactured and she even sang about it in her own songs you dullard :lmao:

Pinks first album was the only manufactured album of her career, after that she's made her own choices musically...dullard. :lmao:

Pinks first album was the only manufactured album of her career, after that she's made her own choices musically...dullard. :lmao:

I don't see too much connection between Pink and Madonna though.

They are not musically nor visually similar. Pink is barely even trying to change up her sound nowadays. The biggest change she made musically was between her first album to the second one. After that she just went a little more rock-ish, but not any big steps really. Madonna has never been one of those artists who made these "make fun - chidish" videos either.

I respect Pink as an artist (although i'm tired of her), but I find her way more "safe" than Madonna in all artistic aspects. Musically, as already mentioned, she's basically doing the same thing all over and visually there's not too much going on either. She's doing her own thing which I guess is good, but Madonna always tried new stuff and new stage personas, which isn't really what Pink has been doing.

As for GaGa, there's just one album yet so far. But the similarities are still bigger i'd say between M and GaGa, than between Pink and M. GaGa is way more visually than Pink and also she created more of a trend than I think Pink ever did in her whole career. I don't mean that people are walking around the street looking like GaGa. But her music, although being urban-pop like alot, sounded like something fresh when it came out, and now we already get the musical (not visual though) copycats.

We'll see in a couple of years ago if GaGa will be able to re-invent both her persona and music. But Pink i'd say is more like Eminem. The same kind of concept going round in circles, but at enough high level to still keep us interested (which means not at a Mariah recycle kind of level), but still not up there with Madonna who re-invents herself constantly.