Is Lady Gaga The New Madonna?

TOUR2008

she sounds identical to christina to me. and as for madonna, i think she has the best voice ever. when i hear that first album demos and that high pitched voice going for it, theres nothing like it. it takes me somewhere. always has.

:thumbsup:

Well..

Madonna's first RS cover

22882_lg.jpg

Gaga's first RS cover :nocomment: (look at the retarded face!!!)

rollingstone1.jpg

Guest Pud Whacker
:thumbsup:

Well..

Madonna's first RS cover

22882_lg.jpg

Gaga's first RS cover :nocomment: (look at the retarded face!!!)

rollingstone1.jpg

oh, that first rolling stone cover...its sex! she looks like an italian prostitute in an alley. especially inside where shes leaning against the wall with the cigarette and her jeans unbuttoned. :thumbsup:

Guest Johnkm

Its just simple. NO

Gaga tries to be inventive, but comes off looking stupid, and even then most of what she does has either been done before or is just too shit for anyone else to do.

Plus shes ugly.

I think we have to remember that Madonna is so huge that there is always going to be these artists who emerge that will be compared to Madonna and thought of as "The New Madonna". In the end, we all know it's impossible. Some may try to emulate her. Some may succeed for a short while, but if they don't offer any originality of their own, they will eventually be written off.

As for Lady Ga Ga, I think she's quite original in her own right. I do understand why people want to compare her to Madonna. It's because she's unique and her music is comparably to what Madonna's been releasing... which is dance/pop music.

LAdy Ga Ga isn't the "new madonna". You cannot duplicate what Madonna did. As someone else pointed out in this thread, the day of the huge mega artists like we had in the 80's are dead. It's going to take a while before we reach a platform like that.

I really hope Lady Ga Ga goes on and sells millions of records for years on. I enjoy her act. She is quite unique. I love the stage antics and the costumes. Again, it reminds me of some of the 80's artists who use such gimmicks (including Madonna) to stand out. Eventually, she will shun all that if she continues to succeed because to succeed in the business... especially for women, you have to keep changing and evolving as Madonna has.

where did the whole joanne thing come from? inside joke going over my head?

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. I think Pud latched onto and it stuck. It is her name after all and befits her as Madonna befits hers.

I genuinely think that Lady Gaga's music is just cheap and uninteresting. My severe dislike is borne from her insistence that she's really doing something completely new and smart and outrageous. It backfires, to me - each new outfit or prop or embarassingly tacky video just reinforces her music's blandness. It's a shame, because she does have a voice, and she has the willingness to look like a total idiot (two good things that are exceedingly rare in pop music these days). But unfortunately her taste level is almost nil, and she's just not as smart and as clever as she thinks she is. Sure, she's smarter than a Heidi Montag or a Fergie or a Katy Perry, but choosing something wilfullly mediocre instead of something downright repellent isn't much of a choice.

As for Madonna, there's simply no comparison. If Gaga can get past the posing and start churning out some decent material, then we'll talk.

I agree and I'm waiting for GaGa's second album.

I hate when these writers try to compare these new stars to legends like Mad. Gaga is cool, I like her music and her crazy style, but Madonna she aint. The person who has come closest in terms of fame to Madonna is Britney, but artistic and music wise, she falls flat when compared to M. I doubt Gaga will ever be as big as Britney, much less Madonna. There's only one Madonna. There will NEVER be another Madonna and that's a fact. People should just continue to appreciate Gaga for what she is. An electro-pop singer with a wacky style and attitude. If she can make it past the sophomore slump then i'll take her more seriously, but for right now, she is kind of a gimmick to me. I have a feeling her act will get old soon, but we'll see what happens.

2008-03-05-MichaelMusto04231.jpg

That sums up Gaga perfectly for me.

Let's Dance is a great song, but that's as far as it goes. Will never understand the hype.

That cyber slut image is the only thing she really has going for her.

I think we have to remember that Madonna is so huge that there is always going to be these artists who emerge that will be compared to Madonna and thought of as "The New Madonna". In the end, we all know it's impossible. Some may try to emulate her. Some may succeed for a short while, but if they don't offer any originality of their own, they will eventually be written off.

As for Lady Ga Ga, I think she's quite original in her own right. I do understand why people want to compare her to Madonna. It's because she's unique and her music is comparably to what Madonna's been releasing... which is dance/pop music.

LAdy Ga Ga isn't the "new madonna". You cannot duplicate what Madonna did. As someone else pointed out in this thread, the day of the huge mega artists like we had in the 80's are dead. It's going to take a while before we reach a platform like that.

I really hope Lady Ga Ga goes on and sells millions of records for years on. I enjoy her act. She is quite unique. I love the stage antics and the costumes. Again, it reminds me of some of the 80's artists who use such gimmicks (including Madonna) to stand out. Eventually, she will shun all that if she continues to succeed because to succeed in the business... especially for women, you have to keep changing and evolving as Madonna has.

That's what I meant when I said that Gaga's act might start to get old quickly. I don't see her evolving in the way Madonna did. The problem with Gaga is that she places too much emphasis on style. It's style over substance where she is concerned and it all seems very contrived to me. At least Madonna had both and ultimately if the music wasn't good, she wouldn't have lasted this long no matter how much she changed her style. It will be interesting to see how or even if Gaga's music and style evolve in the future.

I don't see it happening.

She already has 2 much going on within a span of one album 4 it 2 ever make a lasting impression.

The whole artsy cookieness comes of a mess.

Plus,

She's ugly Pt. II

I don't think it's possible 4 people 2 b reached in that way anymore..regardless of any comparison..

I don't c a generation 2 b captured like that..by anyone.

The 80's were the last golden era 4 the true idol.

or am i just getting old? :chuckle:

No, you are right.

Once its been done, all you get is rehash.

There will never be a "new Madonna".All of these other ladies are just copycats,doing the same things that Madonna already did decades ago.Madonna is an original,there's no need for her to pass the torch anytime soon.

The thing is.. for someone to big bigger than Madonna or as big (it will never happen btw) they wouldn't even need to say oh she is the next Madonna.

Like when Madonna busted on the scene she was not "the next" anyone she was just MADONNA. Does that make any sense? :dazed:

Exactly! Madonna came on the scene and became a big star on her own,without being the "next" anybody.I think it actually hurts these new artists when they are constantly compared to other artists,or when they try to position themselves as the "next" whomever.They can never live up to that hype.

Guest SoUnusual

My Lady Gaga Story

Ahh, Lady Gaga. I first say her at 3:54pm on Juice TV playing in the background she was singing just dance. One of the verses sounded like Fergie on Crack.

Her song went to 3 on the NZ charts, People started to love her. I loved her she was fresh and fabulous. I even started bleaching my hair for that bitch, her second single came out I heard that at 8:03 pm on a Saturday, It was a 10 second clip of Poker Face I instantly loved it while thinking it was the Just Dance with new lyrics. It shot straight up to 1 and stayed their for 10 weeks breaking Crazy Frogs 9 week record. She was so cool and I heard her everyday on peoples phones. And then I started to get very sick of her ugly ass face. Next it was Eh Eh (I still didn't have the album at this time) it was lite and a fun summer track but it faded away quickly with me and her tan looking like a oom pa lompa in a leotard kissing random italians wearing a wife beater T-shirts and over sized blue track pants. I started watching interviews with her and she was so fake and had try-hard performances, But I downloaded her album anyway When I first heard Again Again I cracked up laughing at her horrid black white girl woman vocals. Now it was LoveGame, Her sluttiest video/song ever, It was nothing new from her and sounded like everything else. I don't hate Lady Gaga but I think she will probably faded away within about 10 years. imagine a 40 year old Lady Gaga or a 50 year Lady gaga?! :thumbsdown: Her look and name will be swept away with last years fashion, Will she last? I don't know. She will Never Ever EVER NEVER be Madonna.

~SoUnusual

Guest bluejean

No.

The difference between Madonna in the early years and Lady Gaga is that Lady Gaga is COMPLETELY contrived. Not to say that's a bad thing, but she's playing a character. Madonna was not. Madonna has taken on personas for a video or a performance. But I feel Lady Gaga is doing it more in a David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust fashion. Really playing the character and living in it.

I do think though that Lady Gaga's ACT is hugely influenced by Madonna in terms of generating hype, performing and image.

But their musical style is also different. And so is their personality. In the beginning Madonna was a sparkling star with energy and an attitude. Lady Gaga is more outrageous yet mysterious and quite weird. Abit like Prince was.

Lady Gaga is not the new Madonna, she is her own person. I do believe she could have longevity. She's got what it takes. She'll never be bigger or better than Madonna though.