Holiday and Dress You Up and Everybody Are Back!

moe

I can't see holiday being in the opening section for this tour. Maybe near the middle or like people are saying at the end. I wouldn't mind a gypsy version. Maybe La Isla is getting the boot?

HN can definitely go, not a highlight at all. Replacing it with DYU would be great. ]

"Borderline"- in its re-release- did peak at No. 2 in the UK, so not like it didn't do well in Europe's biggest market.

I didn't really watch "Heartbeat"- you consider that one a theatrical number" "SNM, I could see, based on what I watched.

"Music" is early in the show, and that had been one done at or near the end on the last few tours, so who knows.

Guest Danny86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQ_87Hae6Q

"Heartbeat" is not as theatrical as "SNM" but I do think there's definitely a concept going on in it. At first they change her shoes and all her movements are set by the other dancers, she keeps stumbling as if she was a doll, but after the "see my booty get down" part it's like she breaks free (even alluding to the lyrics), pushes all the dancers away and the rocks the stage. It might be a bit of a stretch, but since the segment is supposedly about her early days in the Old School NYC, it can be interpreted as the start of her career, when she learns how to "dance and sing" or something like that (or more radically, a reference to those who consider Madonna a "pop puppet"?), coincidentally one of her breakthrough hits follows this performance (which is definitely a nod to her pre-Madonna-era music through the arrangement), then "SNM" could represent her various change of looks and images throughout her career but still telling the critics that they are all just acts and "she's not me", eventually being "saved" by the music (and the DJ, as the sample says), still being on top of her act etc.

I know it's not like her usual Act 2 stories, but I think it's still nice to see that the songs aren't just thrown next to each other and even if it's one of her most fun and lighthearted shows, there still might be some hidden hints or messages.

That's why I think replacing either HC songs with "Holiday" would mess this concept/flow up, but if it's "Dress You Up" replacing "Borderline" with the same arrangement, it won't be that big of a change.

great to see she is still touring but she should really focus on releasing a decent album and give us a new tour..she honestly needs to put this lackluster era behind her

"Heartbeat" is not as theatrical as "SNM" but I do think there's definitely a concept going on in it. At first they change her shoes and all her movements are set by the other dancers, she keeps stumbling as if she was a doll, but after the "see my booty get down" part it's like she breaks free (even alluding to the lyrics), pushes all the dancers away and the rocks the stage. It might be a bit of a stretch, but since the segment is supposedly about her early days in the Old School NYC, it can be interpreted as the start of her career, when she learns how to "dance and sing" or something like that (or more radically, a reference to those who consider Madonna a "pop puppet"?), coincidentally one of her breakthrough hits follows this performance (which is definitely a nod to her pre-Madonna-era music through the arrangement), then "SNM" could represent her various change of looks and images throughout her career but still telling the critics that they are all just acts and "she's not me", eventually being "saved" by the music (and the DJ, as the sample says), still being on top of her act etc.

I know it's not like her usual Act 2 stories, but I think it's still nice to see that the songs aren't just thrown next to each other and even if it's one of her most fun and lighthearted shows, there still might be some hidden hints or messages.

That's why I think replacing either HC songs with "Holiday" would mess this concept/flow up, but if it's "Dress You Up" replacing "Borderline" with the same arrangement, it won't be that big of a change.

VOICE OF REASON.

That's an intersting interpretation, Dan- not having attended the show and only seeing some clips on YouTube, I hadn't given it much though- but I like what you wrote. :) But- wouldn't "Borderline" work better in context with those other songs? I think the theme works better, preceding SNM. Not that all the songs in a segment have to mesh perfectly.

I have to say, she's been slacking a tad in the Act 2 department. She had three consecutive strong, thematic second acts, from BAT to DWT (GS was the least impressive of those three, but still worked well). With re-Invention, Act 2 begins with "American Life," I guess, which is a strong start sicne it's a pretty good performance- that goes into EY, which is fine- but then BU and MG didn't seem to fit as well (though MG could get tied back to EY and AL). "Hollywood" fits alright after MG< I guess.

With Confessions, Act 2 starts strong with the Confessions/LTT segment, flows nicely into FL and then "Isaac,", but then kinda loses momentum, thematically, with "Sorry" and "Like it Or Not."

THANK YOU! I agree 100% with your description of "Heartbeat." When people have criticized the performance, I was disappointed by that. I found it interesting and I love how she's being put into position in the early part -- the choreography is really interesting. (Doll-like is such a good description.) And then when she breaks free and starts taking control of her own movements (which, as you rightly pointed out, is also referenced in the lyrics -- "I've never felt so free"), she reverses the choreography by putting the dancers through their paces. It's an inverted kind of symmetry. Love it. (And the shoe change in the early part is pretty cute, too. Even that heart that beats on the screen is a pretty cool visual.)

And I think you're right -- "Borderline" could easily be swapped with "Dress You Up." I don't even remember what the visuals for "Borderline" looked like -- it's not like "Human Nature" (or even "Spanish Lesson") which had highly developed background visuals. I can't see her dropping the Klein-Britney visuals. And sorry, but "Human Nature" does fit in the first act better that "DYU" -- there's a definite R&B feel to the first act: "Candy Shop," "Beat Goes On," "Human Nature," and a funked-up "Vogue." DYU wouldn't fit at all.

If DYU is a rock version (which it probably is), it could also replace "Hung Up" toward the end, but it's less likely.

Who gives arat's arse about the backdrop for HN? :) The song itself is not one of her better ones, and the performance is kinda blah. At least "Borderline" is a classic- and she looks like she enjoys performing that one; it's energetic and all. But, wouldn't surprise me if it got replaced.

"Hung Up" in the S&S version just lays there, like HN.

Who gives arat's arse about the backdrop for HN? :) The song itself is not one of her better ones, and the performance is kinda blah. At least "Borderline" is a classic- and she looks like she enjoys performing that one; it's energetic and all. But, wouldn't surprise me if it got replaced.

"Hung Up" in the S&S version just lays there, like HN.

I don't disagree with you about "Human Nature," but I think Madonna might. I'm sure Klein (and maybe even Britney -- unless she appeared gratis for the publicity) cost a pretty penny to create that 'art.' I'm speaking from an expense stand-point, "Borderline" is easier to replace than "Human Nature," judging by the visuals. Once she's paid for it, she might as well use it.

Of course, I guess, from the other side of it, she HAS already paid for it, so it doesn't matter anymore... She recovered the 'development' costs on the last tour and everything on top now -- after the hard expenses of venues and dancers, band, etc. -- is (hopefully) more profit.

I guess I'm just thinking that if more money went into it, then she probably put more thought and input into it (even if she wasn't the one in the video or the one filming it). She probably cares more about that visual and about it remaining in the show than she would another one.

(But then the "Get Stupid" video might be edited or changed at this point, too... so...)

Also, HN is the only representative from the Bedtime Stories album. That probably isn't a huge issue, since this isn't RIT and she doesn't need to represent everything equally, but just saying...

I probably wouldn't care too much if either HN or Hung Up went out the window for S+S 2.0. I love "Hung Up" but yeah -- this rock version is less immediate and therefore a little less fun.

I think Dress You Up will replace Borderline, as a rock version.

Holiday will replace Spanish Lesson with a flamenco style as Madonna took some flamenco classes.

Guest Danny86
I have to say, she's been slacking a tad in the Act 2 department. She had three consecutive strong, thematic second acts, from BAT to DWT (GS was the least impressive of those three, but still worked well). With re-Invention, Act 2 begins with "American Life," I guess, which is a strong start sicne it's a pretty good performance- that goes into EY, which is fine- but then BU and MG didn't seem to fit as well (though MG could get tied back to EY and AL). "Hollywood" fits alright after MG< I guess.

With Confessions, Act 2 starts strong with the Confessions/LTT segment, flows nicely into FL and then "Isaac,", but then kinda loses momentum, thematically, with "Sorry" and "Like it Or Not."

Yeah, after the DWT it's been about individual theatrical numbers instead of whole segments, like on RIT "AL" and maybe "Die Another Day"/"Lament" are the only theatrical stuff, but most of the show is just straightforward concert-like performances or big dance numbers, on CT "Future Lovers" is very theatrical but the rest of the segment has simple stuff like "Get Together" or "Jump". The Bedouin segment didn't have a full story either, "Like It Or Not" was one of the most basic performances of that tour, but "LTT" was the most theatrical, so...

On S&ST there are some thematic moments like "Human Nature" or "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You", but the rest of the show is straight up dance and fun, so the only story here I can see is the NYC thing, but "SNM" stands out the most from it as well.

And yeah, "Borderline" fits my interpretation better, but "Dress You Up" is also an early track and its backdrop were nothing special and there was no choreography attached to it, so it's the easiest thing to replace, just like "Gone" was on DWT when she switched between that and "You'll See".

Also, I find it a bit weird that Madonna is adding 2 oldies that weren't written by her, she even said she was bored with "Holiday" last year, I think it's safe to say that she was advised to keep the hardcore fans satisfied, I'm pretty sure she's not doing these songs because they fit her show and concept so much. Same for "Borderline", that seemed like a convinced-by-Jamie King performance since fans had been wishing for it for decades.

Also, HN is the only representative from the Bedtime Stories album. That probably isn't a huge issue, since this isn't RIT and she doesn't need to represent everything equally, but just saying...

It does matter, in the original setlist every album is represented with only 1 song, so if "Holiday" gets added then "Borderline" should be leaving to keep the balance. "Into The Groove" is not a LAV track in the strict sense (kinda a soundtrack single but it definitely represented the LAV era in the show), so adding "Dress You Up" is OK, because it's a "real" LAV album song. But the best scenario would have been adding "Who's That Girl" or possibly a track from Something To Remember so those eras could have been represented too.

Leaving out "Ray Of Light" or "Hung Up" is out of the question in my opinion, those are for the general crowd, those who've seeing Madonna for the first time, no matter if fans are tired of the guitar version of "ROL" and dislike the rock version of "HU".

I think Dress You Up will replace Borderline, as a rock version.

Holiday will replace Spanish Lesson with a flamenco style as Madonna took some flamenco classes.

But Anna already said "SL" is staying, and she was already hinting at the songs MTribe confirmed a while ago already, so that's not really a possibility. A Gypsy version of "Holiday" would not make sense anyway, not to mention that writing "SL" was the direct reason for Madonna being able to do a Spanish tingled segment again.

Also, the Flamenco class was a Madonna.com rumour, probably false, just like the "WTG" inclusion.

Guest Danny86

Anna confirms HEARTBEAT is out, so there goes that concept out...

But now I think they might rearrange that whole section so "Holiday" and "Music" can be together.

Anna should write an article and send it to Madonnalicious for everyone to read instead of throwing bits to her chiens day after day just for the fun of it. I can't really understand how you like to be treated this way.

Yes Anna confirmed it today that Heartbeat is out. Don't know yet about the other song. I thought Holiday instead of Heartbeat and Dress You Up instead of Borderline. I am a little sad about Heartbeat because it is my favorite song from Hard Candy but I'm glad in the same time she includes 2 more classics.

I hope Holiday stays close 2 the original..It's one of her greatest singles..

but the thing that makes it work is that groove.. :inlove:

I'm glad it's back.

I hope Holiday stays close 2 the original..It's one of her greatest singles..

but the thing that makes it work is that groove.. :inlove:

I'm glad it's back.

In that case it can only be in the 2nd segment. It should ideally replace "Music" but we know that won't happen.

If the ho sticks "Holiday" instead of "Spanish Lesson" or "Give it 2 Me" then it will be fucking reinvented. :americanlife:

So Anna has become so good that she's like M's new spokeswoman or something, it seems. :)

Hmmm, so that could mean two songs may be cut from Act 2...

Suedey, "Holiday" was "re-invented" for RIT- I gather you didn't like that one? It was a little cha-cha-cha, though I liked that a couple original elements were sprinkled in there.

If she still does that 'request' thing I'm gonna make it my mission 2 ask 4 'Little Red Corvette' :fag:

Holiday should replace that Beat Goes On crap..the Holiday intro would whip the crowd in2 a frenzy..

Crowd reaction 4 Sticky & Sweet has been rather odd me thinks 4 a large part of the audience the oldies

r unrecognisable the first 30 seconds..so u never get that lovely roar..which is so cool if that happens in

a stadium..come 2 think of it '4 minutes' probably got the biggest initial response... :americanlife:

Guest Danny86
Who can quote what Anna said abut Heartbeat?

This is it:

just look in the 'spoilers' thread in the 'tour' section. fans were so frantic on knowing what the changes are so i had to clue yall in. that was i believe a month ago =] so im confirming these two songs.

'heartbeat' is out, sorry.

Since she's doing 2 of the 4 "most requested" songs as regular performances now, I don't see the point of keeping the request section. Unless she still wants to do "Express Yourself" that way...

She should replace La Isla Bonita with Holiday to really take the piss. :demonic:

What happened to that quote about her never being able to sing Holiday or Like A Virgin again, unless she was paid 20 million by some Russian billionaire? Mind you, she said the same thing years ago about Material Girl, before it unexpectedly turned up on Reinvention.