Say something NICE about M's AMERICAN PIE.

acko

An appreciation thread of sorts.. :fag:

2 me it will always b synonymous with the horrible 'The Next Best Thing' film.

And she said 'I kind of had my arm twisted by my record company 2 include

it on my Music album' when asked why it wasn't included on GHV2. So maybe even

Madonna don't like it that much. Anyway, it just popped up on my Media Player..

& I love her vocals on this..& the lyrics sortof work 4 her. So there...I'm being nice. :america:

It definitely continued her tradition of button-pushing. Ann Powers of the NY Times even wrote an article about how people were up in arms over thefact that she dared not only to cover it, but cut half the song out. But, she said it was very of the times, M's version.

It's an OK cover- it's catchy in its own right, but it's not a highlight in her catalog. I like the urgency conveyed in the section, ...in the streets, the children screamed, the lovers cried and the poets dreamed..." I also like how she kept it faithful with the opening.

As the case with any new Madonna track at the time, radio was all over it initially- and then, after 5 weeks or so, audience reaction caught up to it, hence its relatively short radio life.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, it wasn't on Music, but...okay, something nice, something nice...

...ummm...

...uhhhhhhhh...

:think:

...umm....

...the video was nice.

I like the white trash video. As for the song, well, it's nice that it was played on radio as much as it was. She hasn't gotten much love since... I really dislike it, though. It's totally shit.

Well, it wasn't on Music, but...okay, something nice, something nice...

...ummm...

...uhhhhhhhh...

:think:

...umm....

...the video was nice.

It was on the international/euro version of the 'Music' album.

The quote is from a UK radio interview...with Jo Whiley I think.

I c we have our first person on board 2 refer 2 the original as 'masterpiece' :confused:

okay...excuuuuuuuuuuse me but I like the video :americanlife: she's cute in it.. :fag:

American Pie - Madonna

OMG.. she is so adorable. I love that video. And you know, the vocals are really good.

I also love the cub-ish gay couple that kiss. Aww.. it's really fucking cool, especially because this went back to 2000, when there wasn't any sort of gay-anything.

OMG.. she is so adorable. I love that video. And you know, the vocals are really good.

I also love the cub-ish gay couple that kiss. Aww.. it's really fucking cool, especially because this went back to 2000, when there wasn't any sort of gay-anything.

I just watched it & I don't even remember the lezzers & gays kissing in the video.

Was there no controversy whatsoever then :confused:

I just watched it & I don't even remember the lezzers & gays kissing in the video.

Was there no controversy whatsoever then :confused:

I don't remember there being any controversy.... then again, it was when she was loved by all. So she could get away with it. After "Music", it all went to hell again.

Guest ursaminorjim
It was on the international/euro version of the 'Music' album.

As a bonus track, yeah. Like the way "Into the groove" was slapped onto "The First Album." :rolleyes::lol:

"Gone" is the proper last song on Music, period, and I'll slap anyone who dares think otherwise.

As a bonus track, yeah. Like the way "Into the groove" was slapped onto "The First Album." :rolleyes::lol:

"Gone" is the proper last song on Music, period, and I'll slap anyone who dares think otherwise.

Listen dude Into The Groove was never slapped onto 'The First Album'.

It was given its own slot on a proper reissue of 'Like A Virgin'..Mariah style..

As 4 AP being on 'Music'..it's track 11 unfortunately..it don't say bonus.

& even if it did what's it 2 u..u got cyberragga.. :americanlife:

Listen dude Into The Groove was never slapped onto 'The First Album'.

It was given its own slot on a proper reissue of 'Like A Virgin'..Mariah style..

As 4 AP being on 'Music'..it's track 11 unfortunately..it don't say bonus.

& even if it did what's it 2 u..u got cyberragga.. :americanlife:

:lmao:

Well, we only got "Cyberagga" if one bought the single to "Music". It wasn't on the album.

American Pie is brilliant! Reminds me of 9/11. And Ms cover is great! The video is cute too.

so 8 years later it reminds u of 9/11 cuz it came out 1 year before? :confused:

Guest Johnkm

I do really enjoy it, but as I have little love for Music, it rarely come up on my ipod/itunes. Her vocals are brilliant on it too and no doubt this will not go down well, it is such a good song after 'Gone', which I do not enjoy at all. Its also much better than the original, for me at least anyway.

I'm willing to bet that "American Pie" wasn;'t on *amdge's* tracklisting for her Music album- but, the label liekly pushed it on her, as it was a big hit outside the USA. It's not like "Die Another Day," for instance- that track was meant to be on American Life from the time it was released (M even said as much in a radio interview with Rick Dees).

Th video has its cute moments- M's mocking the American way.

"Time Stood Still" is the superior Madge track on that soundtrack, without a doubt, though.

Guest dicktracy

The original is a classic, at least in America. The cover version could've been worse. Does that count as a compliment??

Guest Johnkm
"Time Stood Still" is the superior Madge track on that soundtrack, without a doubt, though.

Thats such a good song, and far superior to American Pie

i actually like the song, always have and always will.

the video is great too!

i much prefer the JB mix though, shame it wasnt on the single though :(

Guest Pud Whacker
An appreciation thread of sorts.. :fag:

2 me it will always b synonymous with the horrible 'The Next Best Thing' film.

And she said 'I kind of had my arm twisted by my record company 2 include

it on my Music album' when asked why it wasn't included on GHV2. So maybe even

Madonna don't like it that much. Anyway, it just popped up on my Media Player..

& I love her vocals on this..& the lyrics sortof work 4 her. So there...I'm being nice. :america:

i love the song and video. too bad about the film.