I'm listening to EROTICA

Apples388

My parents wouldn't let me have the Erotica album either. They didn't say it in so many words but they repeatedly tried to steer me away from it. Well my mom mostly cause my dad didn't really give a shit. Finally I had to CRY to be able to get it. How GAY of me.

My Mom refused to buy the album, but got the "Deeper and Deeper" cassingle for me instead. Still have it.

I love the album. These days, like most of M's albums, I can only listen to a song or two, and then move on to something else. However, it's one of her more interesting periods, and visually, she was on-point.

Guest immaculate sanctuary

i love erotica soooooooooooo much!!! the songs, the videos, the era, the pictures, the controversy, EVERYTHING!!! & i love the girlie show tour! this album means a lot to me!

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

It's a cool album, i grew up with it [along with Immaculate and Bedtime Stories].

It's a night time album, the type of thing you'd play at a cocktail party in some high rise city building while you all sit around in your new expensive underwear.

Bad Girl is one of the best songs [and the best video] she has ever done! i love that SO much. Bye Bye Baby, Erotica, Why's It So Hard, Rain, Deeper and Deeper, Waiting are GREAT songs.

The rest of the album is filler, but it's good filler!.......Words, Thief of Hearts, Fever, Where Life Begins, cool songs.

The only time the album gets a bit dull for me is with In This Life and Secret Gayden.

I loved the image of the era too, the SEX book, the hair, clothes, ect. it was all very sexy.

I'M GONNA PLAY THE ALBUM RIGHT NOW.

Guest Danny86

That's a fantastic read, these are the most important parts:

I remember when Madonna and I first started working together on Erotica. We were listening in my home studio to one of the first songs and I turned to her and said "It's great, but it's no Vogue." She told me that not every song could be Vogue - not every cut could emerge as the top-selling record of all time. She was right, but I pressed my case anyway: "I guess I'm always trying to out-top myself," I told her, "the next thing should be bigger than the last." Madonna just turned and looked me straight in the eye. It had been a long time since I'd been star-struck by her, but she was glowing differently now. "Shep," she began, "no matter how fierce something is, you can't ever do the same thing twice." She sat down to record the final vocals on Erotica and looked out onto the terrace and into the New York City night. "Ever," she repeated.

[...]

Deeper and Deeper, Erotica, Rain and Thief of Hearts made up the first batch of songs we worked on together. I did the music and she wrote the words. Sometimes I'd give her some ideas lyrically and she'd go: "Oh, that's good," or "That sucks." I remember when I gave her some ideas lyrically for Vogue and she said, very curtly, "That's what I do." Essentially, her songs are her stories. They're the things she wants to say.

[...]

"I hate them." That's what she said to me when we listened to the first bunch of songs we'd recorded. I thought it sounded great beacause some of the songs had a New York house sound and some of them had an L.A. vibe. "If I had wanted the album to sound like that, I'd have worked with Patrick Leonard in L.A.," she told me. I got the point pretty fast. Madonna wanted Erotica to have a raw edge to it, as if it were recorded in an alley at 123rd street in Harlem. She didn't want some light glossy production to permeate her sound. I got back into my usual style of mixing, which is pretty bass oriented, analog, hit-you-over-the head kind of stuff. When you're recording songs for Madonna, the attitude is: Either make a song work, or it's not going to be on the album. That's that.

[...]

"You have all these great stories in the book," I told her, "Why don't you use them in the song?" I knew that Madonna was developing a 1930s dominatrix look for Erotica, but I didn't realize how far she was willing to go before I saw Sex. It contained stories authored by her mysteriously dark alter, Dita. Madonna took the book and walked out of the room and didn't come back until about half an hour later. Suddenly she was on the mic, speaking in this very dry voice. "My name is Dita," she said, "and I'll be your mistress tonight." I knew that the original Erotica would never be the same again, and it wasn't. The chorus and bridge were changed entirely and the whole psyche of the song became sexier, more to the point.

[...]

I was confident that it was a great compilation of songs, but I was wondering how people would react to it. It was definitely a different album for her in that it was a dance/pop album, instead of a guitar-laden pop album designed just for top 40. That was a conscious decision on her part because it seemed that the more pop she went, the fewer of her albums people were buying. This time, she's giving the people what they want.

The last part is very interesting, how ironic that the whole idea was shot with such lead-off single and the release of the book...

eroticalongbox.jpg

i so wish it was still packaged liked that today

i remember the immaculate collection longbox (nothing different really)

anywayz..

Erotica. It's in my top 2 favorite M albums. Im always switching my #1 spot.

From begining to end, Erotica is a joyful, pleasureful listen. I love it. The whole sound she was going for, especially in the Andre Betts tracks, its exquisite.

The rest of the album is filler, but it's good filler!.......Words, Thief of Hearts, Fever, Where Life Begins, cool songs.

The only time the album gets a bit dull for me is with In This Life and Secret Gayden.

FILLER???

ok, "good filler" i'll except

but secret garden dull?? c'mon!!!

And i think im the only one here who is in LOVE with Theif of Hearts. Everytime i listen to Erotica, Thief of Hearts is always on repeat.

When Madonna sings that "THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF OFFFF HEEEAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRR RRRRRRTTTTSS!", i have to rewind to the begining of that part over and over and over again. it's an orgasm. sex to my ears. just those 12 seconds.

I find it odd that Shep said, the more pop she went, the less people were buying her albums? True Blue and Like A Virgin are amongst her biggest selling albums ever with the Immaculate Collection being one of the biggest selling albums of all time. Like A Prayer was also a huge seller. I'm Breathless sales were much lower but Vogue was the only real pop song on it!

I love this album. It's great, the videos were great too and one of my most favourite periods.

The album should have been released a few weeks before the book so people could get to know Dita and judge the music without the images.

Guest Danny86

In terms of sales: LAV > TB > LAP and that was a clear downward trend. At least in the USA, but I'm sure Shep didn't mean worldwide.

I think at the time TIC was around 3-4x Platinum as well, but it kept on selling. He probably meant that her work with Patrick Leonard was more pop than Nile Rodgers, but LAV was her biggest seller and even though "LAP" and "Vogue" were huge, those albums sold considerably less.

Yeh there was definitely a drop in sales with Like A Prayer. I wish I had bought the limited edition Australian gold cd of Erotica that was released when Madonna was here for the Girlie Show. Does anyone have it??

Guest ursaminorjim
In terms of sales: LAV > TB > LAP and that was a clear downward trend. At least in the USA, but I'm sure Shep didn't mean worldwide.

I thought True Blue was her biggest here, though?

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
And i think im the only one here who is in LOVE with Theif of Hearts. Everytime i listen to Erotica, Thief of Hearts is always on repeat.

When Madonna sings that "THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF OFFFF HEEEAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRR RRRRRRTTTTSS!", i have to rewind to the begining of that part over and over and over again. it's an orgasm. sex to my ears. just those 12 seconds.

:lol:

Guest Danny86
I thought True Blue was her biggest here, though?

No, in the US LAV was the biggest. I think basically everywhere else TB outsold LAV though.

FILLER???

ok, "good filler" i'll except

but secret garden dull?? c'mon!!!

You'll do it, you'll take it

You'll screw it, you'll fake it

Undo it, you'll break it

You're over, you can't take it

:dramatic: :dramatic: :dramatic:

I also bought the cassette and then the vinyl version. I wish I had bought the gold Aussie CD but I couldn't afford £17 at the time! D'oh!

"Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, Put your hands all over my body"

One for the Brits there, folks!

I can listen to RAIN, BAD GIRL, DEEPER & DEEPER and WHERE LIFE BEGINS. That's about it. There's something clinical and "chilling" about the EROTICA album. Like Madonna dressed in Dita drag is gonna leap out of the radio, and kill you with a depraved grin.

Edited by hesser

one of my favourite, but not on top...i like every song, but strangely enough the less i like it is Rain, one of the fan favourite...bland and not so original to me.....i don't remember if i bought the sex book before the album, but i remember the i've bought it secretly in rome and then hidden in my suitcase returning home (south italy). i give it to my classmate for some days (great mistake..). some years later, in a move in a new home the book "disappeared" and so some "adult" magazines.... and some other years later, during an argument with my father, he told me he trashed those magazines (he not even realized the kind of magazines he trashed...) and so i have the suspect he also trashed the sex book.... i still think about the book sometimes... (in itlay we say "rosicare...") and how it costs today to have it... ;-)))

i so wish it was still packaged liked that today

i remember the immaculate collection longbox (nothing different really)

anywayz..

Erotica. It's in my top 2 favorite M albums. Im always switching my #1 spot.

From begining to end, Erotica is a joyful, pleasureful listen. I love it. The whole sound she was going for, especially in the Andre Betts tracks, its exquisite.

yup! you said it ! :thumbsup:

Guest dicktracy

Classic Tracks: Erotica, Deeper and Deeper, Bad Girl, Rain, Fever (TGS Performance)

Cool Tracks: Waiting, Words, Where Life Begins, Secret Garden, Why's Is It So Hard

Fillers: Thief of Hearts, In This Life, Bye Bye Baby, Did You Do It

Definitely one of her best eras.