I'm listening to EROTICA

Apples388

Guest kramm
Did we all buy it on cassette or what?

I bought the cd...... and I still have the "long box" it came in. Remember those?

I bought the cd...... and I still have the "long box" it came in. Remember those?

oh shit...i totaly 4got about that long box.

Do you have pic of the long box? can u post it? id love to see it.

What's the "here kitty kitty kitty" part? Do you mean right after the "and the next time you want pussy" line? Ha! I always thought she just sang some sort of "do do do."

Yep, that's it. As dark as Erotica is, there's a lot of humour running through it, in fact I'd say there's unappreciated humour in much of her work.

I have such a distinct memory of forcing my mum to drive me to our local WH Smith topick up the album (yes, on cassette, of course).

It makes me laugh that for a long time my parents thought their fey son couldn't be gay because he liked Madonna. I think they thought I was wanking over the Sex book whereas it really inspired me to escape to London at 18 to be free to live the life I wanted. For a closeted rural gay teen Madonna really was an inspiration and to some extent a lifesaver.

My parents wouldn't let me have the Erotica album either. They didn't say it in so many words but they repeatedly tried to steer me away from it. Well my mom mostly cause my dad didn't really give a shit. Finally I had to CRY to be able to get it. How GAY of me.

My parents wouldn't let me have the Erotica album either. They didn't say it in so many words but they repeatedly tried to steer me away from it. Well my mom mostly cause my dad didn't really give a shit. Finally I had to CRY to be able to get it. How GAY of me.

It's all about survival..u do what u gotta do..fag. :fag:

Funny dat. It's also my dad who was more 'OK' with the fag chile than my mum.

He actually let me buy the SEX book much to the dismay of my mother.

"But he's just a kid...." :lmao:

Also - who remembers the Smash Hits fold-out poster in August 1992 before Erotica when they referred to a 'lesbian-orientated song' called "Eating Out"? :lmao:

I didn't understand what they meant at the time. (Obviously that was the working title to "Where Life Begins.")

I took SEX 2 high school..4 'show & tell' or what do u yanks call it.

It was an all catholic boys school & they were hanging on my every word.

Anyway I got 19.5 out of 20 :wow: The teacher said my delivery was very soulful :chuckle:

The next day everyone wanted a copy of my Erotica cassette... :fag:

Also - who remembers the Smash Hits fold-out poster in August 1992 before Erotica when they referred to a 'lesbian-orientated song' called "Eating Out"? :lmao:

I remember that! :rotfl: Interestingly, she denied the song was about lesbianism and said she'd "never limit herself" to one subject like that :wacko:

I never got this on cassette, only CD. I particularly like the US "clean" version which gets rid of that "Did You Do It" crapola. The main problem with the album was it was too long, she often has a problem with overlong song times.

I adore this album, barring the last 2 songs (Did You Do It?/Secret Garden)

Secret Garden is, of course, the best song on the album (title track aside, perhaps) and prime contender for her best ever album track.

I didn't understand what they meant at the time. (Obviously that was the working title to "Where Life Begins.")

Smash Hits...RIP. Yes I remember that and their review of the album with lots of celebs (and Dannii Minogue) giving their verdicts (which weren't particularly complimentary). I've still got them in my scrap books (which I religiously kept from In Bed to Girlie Show). I love looking at those clippings every once in a while. Younger fans complaining of a Madonna backlash after American Life have NO IDEA how VICIOUS the press were to her in '92 - '93. Remember The Daily Mail's Madonna Free Zone? They didn't keep that up for long. I'm going to dig out those scrap books and listen to Erotica this afternoon, pretend I'm sixteen all over again. Instead of thirty fucking three!

Has anyone worked out yet what the Show And Tell ballad is that's referred to in the NME '92 interview? It's always intrigued me.

Secret Garden is, of course, the best song on the album (title track aside, perhaps) and prime contender for her best ever album track.

Secret Garden is so telling isn't it? It's up there with Mer Girl as one of her most disarmingly personal songs, "I just wish I knew the color of my hair".

Smash Hits...RIP. Yes I remember that and their review of the album with lots of celebs (and Dannii Minogue) giving their verdicts (which weren't particularly complimentary). I've still got them in my scrap books (which I religiously kept from In Bed to Girlie Show). I love looking at those clippings every once in a while. Younger fans complaining of a Madonna backlash after American Life have NO IDEA how VICIOUS the press were to her in '92 - '93. Remember The Daily Mail's Madonna Free Zone? They didn't keep that up for long. I'm going to dig out those scrap books and listen to Erotica this afternoon, pretend I'm sixteen all over again. Instead of thirty fucking three!

OMG yes I remember that! Dannii loved Erotica though. She referred to her as 'Maddy' in her review and said she'd play it in her parties.

Some hasbeen from Neighbours also reviewed it and he liked "In This Life", but compared the album to The Immaculate Collection stupidly, and said he liked everything on that. :lmao:

OMG yes I remember that! Dannii loved Erotica though. She referred to her as 'Maddy' in her review and said she'd play it in her parties.

Good ole Dannii. I knew there was a reason for liking her apart from being slutty with big tits and sleazy songs.

Some hasbeen from Neighbours also reviewed it and he liked "In This Life", but compared the album to The Immaculate Collection stupidly, and said he liked everything on that. :lmao:

God bless Dannii and all that sail in her! Maddy was the original Madge in Smash Hits. I've just tried to find that review and can't, fuck knows where it is, didn't Jason Orange also cast his professional opinion?

I've just been reading some of the Girlie Show Reviews, a couple are funny as fuck. Piers Morgan - "Sad, Bad, Mad. Worst Concert I've Ever Seen". Thankfully Matthew From Bad Boys Inc. and Nicola Stapleton gave it 9 out of 10. Toby Anstis wasn't too keen with a 6 out of 10 "if I'd paid £27 to see her, I'd have come away feeling a bit cheated". Really Toby, how about £175 for Sticky and Sweet? I've still got my Girlie Show ticket stub from the first night, sigh.

Erotica was also noted 4 getting a glowing review from 'Def Dames Dope' members

in the Belgian equivalent of Smash Hits, 'JOEPIE' :wow:

default.jpg ----> click

Erotica is her best work and my no.1 for me on all the levels. I first bought a Madonna record in 1992 and it was Erotica on cassette when I was 9, when the whole journey for me begun. It will never be topped for me.

Guest jkgeldert
For a closeted rural gay teen Madonna really was an inspiration and to some extent a lifesaver.

Here, here! :thumbsup:

Erotica was the first Madonna album I bought on CD. It is still my second favorite after LAP. 1992-1993 was really a new experience, because of the bad press and everything. I remember I was the only one in school who still liked Madonna, but I didn't care. The videos were also amazing.

Oh good times, I'm listening to EROTICA right now.

Great record! and very much ahead of its time. The one record I think she took the most risks with, both musically and visually.

"Erotica", "Bad Girl" , "Secret Garden" and "Waiting" are imo some of her best work..

I took SEX 2 high school..4 'show & tell' or what do u yanks call it.

It was an all catholic boys school & they were hanging on my every word.

Anyway I got 19.5 out of 20 :wow: The teacher said my delivery was very soulful :chuckle:

The next day everyone wanted a copy of my Erotica cassette... :fag:

:wow:

What did you talk about? And what pics did you focus on? :lol:

Speaking of "Where Life Begins"- is the song simply about enjoying the pleasures of oral sex (on the receiving end), or also in giving it? I suppose it's open to interpretation- with the line "Every girl should experience eating out," is she saying, "Girls, have it done to you NOW," or, "Strap on your muff-diving gear and DO IT?" Maybe both? Love how she leaves it open to interpretation (which she loves doing).

Erotica definitely- up to that point- was her least commercially appealing album.

Guest kramm
oh shit...i totaly 4got about that long box.

Do you have pic of the long box? can u post it? id love to see it.

eroticalongbox.jpg

Guest jkgeldert
Speaking of "Where Life Begins"- is the song simply about enjoying the pleasures of oral sex (on the receiving end), or also in giving it? I suppose it's open to interpretation- with the line "Every girl should experience eating out," is she saying, "Girls, have it done to you NOW," or, "Strap on your muff-diving gear and DO IT?" Maybe both? Love how she leaves it open to interpretation (which she loves doing).

Interesting question. I'd always assumed it was that every girl should experience what it's like to have someone eat her out. As I got old enough to think about things like this I took it to be kindof a female empowerment thing. Like women are always expected to give men BJ's, but how often does a guy perform oral sex on a girl? I realize I'm being heterosexist here. :evil: But anyway I hadn't thought of it the other way around and I like the double entendre! :thumbsup:

Guest jkgeldert

I was just listening to Where Life Begins again to reply to HolidayGuy's post and it got me thinking. M's vocals are double tracked in at least some of the places of this song (and lots of others on Erotica), which has been pretty common throughout her career. But one of the ways you can always tell double-tracking is that the two tracks will "rub" together slightly, because the vocal takes aren't identical. There are definitely times where she's not perfectly on pitch, etc. all throughout the album. And I think it TOTALLY adds to the raw, dark sound of this album. I guess I just wonder if we would have wound up with an album like this if it was recorded today...with fully digital recording and Auto-Tune to make everything pitch-perfect. I mean I suppose you could always ditch the modern technology and do something "retro," but with all the slick production today, I wonder how many producers would even think to do something like that. I really appreciate the rather stripped-down production of many of the tracks on Erotica.

M had said when the album was released that men wrote/recorded songs about receiving oral sex and it wasn't an issue, so she thought she'd take the female approach. So, in a sense, that probably was the main interpretation/meaning- but I still like that it could be read in another way.

When people say "meh" to Erotica i always point out the classic tracks it gave us:

1. Deeper & Deeper

2. Erotica

3. Rain

4. Bad Girl

5. Bye Bye Baby

6. Secret Garden

7. Waiting

8. Fever

I cant belive that the album spawned 5 VIDEOS !!!!!!!

i still listen to it maybe once a month.