Another LV compain?

elijah

i love the VF cover but i think they should work with less photoshop, she looked like a paiting in both the VF and LV

the painting appearance is obviously intentional

i love it and she looks fab

if u want untouched then enjoy this crap

madonna_album_face.jpg

:scared:

Guest jl6er
Meisel is a fashion photographer (and a genius one at that), not Henri Cartier Bresson, looking for the decisive moment. Fashion photography is all about tableaux and fantasy. The images from their frist LV campaign were beautiful and iconic...as they were intended to be. Anyone looking for warm fuzzy emotions in a fashion editorial is a special kind of person. I can't wait to see what they cook up for this new campaign.

Oh, and that last VF cover and editorial were awesome.

Precisely.

Meisel knows fashion. Pure and simple. He knows all the right angles, and clothing aside, he has especially been able to capture the unique, unconventional, statuesque planes of Madonna's face better than any other photographer. Mondino and Ritts have succeeded - on occasion in this feat as well (ie. Mondino's 1990 "The Face" shoot. PERFECTION.)

And regarding the aura of his typical photographs - these are high-end fashion campaigns...they aren't supposed to elude a breezy, frilly, girl-next-door vibe with big, happy smiles in every frame. Not the way it works.

Alright..don't get loud..just my way of saying I hate the VF cover. I don't care bout Testino

taking shitty pictrues..but Meisel is o the Gods so I expect better..

I don't like how M looked like an extra on the set of the Thunderbirds.. :americanlife:

MADONNA:

12n_ladypenelope_narrowweb__200x262.jpg

LADY PENELOPE :americanlife: :

madonna-vanity-fair-2.jpg

Photoshopped to deadh

MarleneDietrich.jpg

I really donìt get the hate for photoshop in a photoshoot like the one from VF.You can always look at the paps pix if you want to see the "real" Madonna and not a charachter.

Just like the 2002 VF photoshoot, the last one was meant to look like a shoot from the golden era of hollywood.

Guest Pud Whacker
Photoshopped to deadh

MarleneDietrich.jpg

I really donìt get the hate for photoshop in a photoshoot like the one from VF.You can always look at the paps pix if you want to see the "real" Madonna and not a charachter.

Just like the 2002 VF photoshoot, the last one was meant to look like a shoot from the golden era of hollywood.

its just one more way to complain. every cover today is airbrushed to death, even if the person is 20 years old. every versace or any ad campaign is airbrushed but for some odd reason, madonna gets the hammer.

newsflash people: if you want real, dont look to magazines.

Guest ursaminorjim

It's not about "real" for me, just aesthetically pleasing (or at least well composed). That Vanity Fair cover is, quite simply, ridiculous. She looks ghoulish and vacuous and the whole pose is tremendously awkward. And what's the relationship supposed to be between her in that get up and the massive globe? It simply doesn't connect.

Nice lighting, though.

Guest ursaminorjim
It was a reference to the greek god Atlas

No, I get that, but how does that relate to environmentalism?

^Actually, it is quite iconic photograph already!

Well...amongst Madonna fans, certainly. :chuckle:

Well...amongst Madonna fans, certainly. :chuckle:

US Magazines: American Photo

The 2008 Vanity Fair portfolio shot by Steven Meisel has been named as the Image of the Year - Commercial Work by American Photo magazine (January/February 2009 issue)

americanphoto_01_0209_page2.jpg

Guest Pud Whacker

The 2008 Vanity Fair portfolio shot by Steven Meisel has been named as the Image of the Year - Commercial Work by American Photo magazine (January/February 2009 issue)

fantastic. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Recognition from people who actually know what they're talking about.

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/04/jes...r_in_the_l.html

Posted 4/30/09 at 6:00 PMParty LinesComment 3Comment 3Comments

Jesus Luz Won’t Appear in the Louis Vuitton Campaign, Enjoys Dinner Dates With Marc Jacobs’s Fiancé

Photo: Patrick McMullan

Contrary to rumor, Jesus Luz won't appear in Louis Vuitton's fall 2009 ad campaign with Madonna, Vuitton designer Marc Jacobs told us at Cipriani Wall Street during the 2009 Parsons Fashion Spring Benefit last night. (Okay, sometimes we get things wrong.) Reporters routinely hound Jacobs with questions about Madonna’s man candy. “I don’t know why!” he said, laughing. “Why is everyone asking me about him? He’s not modeling for me. I don’t do menswear.” Madonna, however, is, and Jacobs said they’d just been working together that day. “I think it was a great shoot,” he said. “She’s the ultimate professional and she and Steven are amazing. I love working with her. There’s no one better.” He refused to divulge the concept of the campaign.

But if Jesus hasn’t yet earned a spot in a Vuitton campaign, he has earned a place as good friend to Jacobs and his fiancé, Lorenzo Martone. “We’re friends and we have dinner sometimes,” said Martone. “I guess as a Brazilian that’s in New York and is in this industry, I have some hints and advice to give. You know, he’s starting a very big modeling career and he has a lot of potential. So he asks me my opinion about some people in the industry — photographers and that. And I tell him.” Where do these advice-giving sessions take place? The Waverly Inn, of course. “We don’t really have a hangout,” said Martone. “We’ve been having a lot of dinners at the Waverly or other places in the West Village on our street. I’m trying to get him to know downtown, which is younger and fresher than the Upper West Side.”

Guest jl6er

Yup, absolutely. That is a fantastic article.

thx for posting this

:thumbsup:I personally love all of Steven's work with the Big M from day 1---with LAV being my all-time-favorite. The recent stuff to me is great for who she is today, where she's at with her looks and I'm fine with the air-brushing, everything has always been touched up, I think everyone is just hyper-senstive to it more nowadays!!!

Have a look at the old-hollywood pics, they are touched-up to death, almost unrecognizable. We got away from that a little bit, now it seems we are in that direction again, except with much better technology--it's all cyclical as far as I'm concerned.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, in the same way the Rolling Stone writers know music at least. But I still contend that Meisel's work is all pretty, no personality.

And Madonna deserves better.

I'm not positive ... but I think it's sort of a subtle reminder that we have a responsibility to take care of the planet. Atlas held up the world -- that was his responsibility. An environmentalist might say that his/her responsibility is to protect and preserve the place in which we live -- not just for the sake of nature, but for the sake of future generations. Having Madonna stand in that place, who is famously a mother now, doesn't just feminize the role, but maternalizes the role, too -- reminding us of the cycle of human life and future generations, etc. I don't know -- I guess I'm saying that being 'green' isn't necessarily just about being a tree-hugging nature-lover. It's about loving human beings enough to take care of their environment.

Now, why she's wearing what she's wearing? I don't know. I suppose because it looked good. Madonna reinvents Earth Mother as Earth MILF, as the American Photo blurb above put it?

I'm just kind of thinking out loud. I'm not 100% convinced, necessarily. I just think the photo worked on several levels -- for the magazine cover. And then, on a meta-Madonna level, it's like "She still rules the world." Sounds like hubris, maybe, but she does have impressive influence. Even to command that kind of cover -- timed to her album release -- at age 50 is no small feat.

As for the Photoshopping -- I know it goes on a lot everywhere. But I think, especially for this shoot, it was more of an effect to mimic the old style of photographs that were the inspiration for the shoot. The note from the editor in that issue pointed out some of the imagery that inspired the idea for the shoot. The sepia tone of most of the images had a very 'throwback' feel to it.

Guest Melvin

Leaked info from a reliable source about the new photo session:

for starters this campaign is quite dissimilar than the first one. it has a rather slick playboy sense to it. at first u'd think ure looking at a work by photographers alas and piggott, as the style is highly similar to theirs in this photoshoot.. psychedelic colors, mannequin like poses. yet M is looking more youthful than ever really pulling it off as any high professional model would. its striking and fabulous and you're going to love it. the perceptible color this time would definitely be purple and you can draw some insights from the ready to wear 2009 fall collection.

^ Yeah, that's from anna @ fanzine. She also said that this is one of the dresses M wears in the campaign:

00400m.jpg

Love the dress! can't wait to see how this turns out.