Madonna no 3 in People Magazine's Top 10 80s artists

loomer

peoplesmithsi.jpg

Surprised at this, but I love the fact Prince beat Jackson. In talent terms he was obviously the real genius and his 80s stuff was basically all his best work before he blew it and burnt out, so it's deserved. Jackson would obviously beat her in most lists for sales, but Madge was the real star of the 80s.

Loving the no 7. It's usually The Cure and Depeche Mode that steal the 80s alt Brit band plaudits in America, when it's The Smiths and New Order who had the actual influence.

All in all, I can't argue with anyone on there, pretty definitive, even if I never liked po-faced old U2 - though at least there's early R.E.M. to counter them.

Im happy with her position :)

Just find these list a bit funny since Madonan placed number 5 on the all time list on EW Greatest entertainers of all time a few years back ahead of Michael Jackson.

I think it was liek this

1. The Beatles

2. Elvis Presley

3. Steven Speilberg

4. Marilyn Monroe

5. Madonna

MJ placed 9th i think.

#1 Michael Jackson

#2 Madonna

#3 Prince

...just my opinion...

The big absents are Depeche Mode (instead of The Smiths) and Tina Tuner (instead of REM).

This list is not important at all, I know, but..

I wonder how these people at People come up with their rankings and have rationales that DON'T justify them.

How can producing the "most quantity and quality albums" trump "it's hard to imagine a world before.."? The previous is great, but quality works are very subjective (and in fact influenced by misogyny in Madonna's case-- she who has more classic songs than anybody on this list) and quantity irrelevant, while the latter suggests a paradigm shift, a new order of things as a result of the arrival of that one artist. In an extreme analogy, it's like there was a world before Christ and a world after!.. And whereas Prince was merely big in the US and some European countries, Madonna ruled the world and shaped the zeitgeist. I didn't and I've YET to hear of any major local act as "the Prince of" this or that country.. Next to Aretha Franklin, I think Prince has got to be the most overrated artist.

Also, while MJ's videos are great, but just as like what Norman Mailer said in his Esquire Madonna interview (thanks Pud!), MJs videos are merely virtuoso records of the great talents and physicality of an artist, while Madonna's videos say a lot more, are more influential, and become better with repeat viewings. Her videos defined the art form, not his.

For being a colossal cultural touchstone, for establishing herself as one of the all time greatest acts within a decade, for being the one with the most to prove and then more than proved herself to still be THE top today..

Madonna deserves NO. 1, nothing less! :americanlife:

Prince? Was he so big in the 80s? I don't know any of his songs. MJ deserves nº 1 and Madonna nº2 IMO. Glad to see The Smiths and The boss in that list though.

Based on quality of 80's music, Madonna should be number 1. She was consistent compared to Prince and Jacko.

Guest bluejean
This list is not important at all, I know, but..

I didn't and I've YET to hear of any major local act as "the Prince of" this or that country.. Next to Aretha Franklin, I think Prince has got to be the most overrated artist.

Yes that's the point. Noone could ever be the next Prince. This is a man that played every instrument, produced and wrote all his own music, has his own unique voice and that experimented with so many different sounds whilst still remaining highly commercial. He adopted the new wave movement and blended elements of rock and soul.

Many many artists in the last decade have taken influence from Prince, and cited him as inspiration. One being Pharrell Williams who as a producer brought a Prince esque sound into mainstream top 40 songs left right and centre. Not only that but a whole range of tracks Prince wrote have been covered and remixed for the dance floors over the last 10 years.

Do we need "the next Prince" to show how influential he is. Prince's influence as a musician is FAR greater than that of Madonna. Madonna's influence is huge, but more as a trailblazer in popular culture than a musician.

Anyway, contrary to that I think the order should be Michael Jackson, Madonna then Prince. Prince definately had the best musical output but overall I think MJ generated the most hype and sales. I think although Madonna was huge in the 80's, alot of what cemented her iconic status happened in the 90's too. Unlike the other 2 who pretty much withered away beyond that.

Guest Danny86
Many many artists in the last decade have taken influence from Prince, and cited him as inspiration. One being Pharrell Williams who as a producer brought a Prince esque sound into mainstream top 40 songs left right and centre. Not only that but a whole range of tracks Prince wrote have been covered and remixed for the dance floors over the last 10 years.

Do we need "the next Prince" to show how influential he is. Prince's influence as a musician is FAR greater than that of Madonna. Madonna's influence is huge, but more as a trailblazer in popular culture than a musician.

Agreed, Madonna's influence was in the image, videos and live performances, not the music itself.

In fact MJ's Bad and Janet's Control & RN are direct products of Prince's sound becoming mainstream. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis started out as Prince's bandmates, MJ himself started copying their sound and in the end he teamed up with them, that's when he started to become irrelevant.

You're right about Pharrell, "Hollaback Girl" was more or less based on "Housequake". As for the "new Prince", I believe Justin has been trying to pose as the new Prince with his second album, many reviews pointed that out, songs like "Until The End Of Time" are direct Prince rip-offs. Hard Candy has Prince flavours as well, some direct tributes like the lyrics of "Dance 2Night" or the collaboration with Wendy Melvoin in "She's Not Me"...

Well, definitely not to the extent of Prince's music, but there's no denying that dance-pop as we now know it can be traced back to Madge's debut album (and MJ). So to say she hasn't had any musical influence wouldn't exactly be accurate. But, yes, the other aspects would have more influence than the music itself.

peoplesmithsi.jpg

Surprised at this, but I love the fact Prince beat Jackson. In talent terms he was obviously the real genius and his 80s stuff was basically all his best work before he blew it and burnt out, so it's deserved. Jackson would obviously beat her in most lists for sales, but Madge was the real star of the 80s.

Loving the no 7. It's usually The Cure and Depeche Mode that steal the 80s alt Brit band plaudits in America, when it's The Smiths and New Order who had the actual influence.

All in all, I can't argue with anyone on there, pretty definitive, even if I never liked po-faced old U2 - though at least there's early R.E.M. to counter them.

WHAT THE HELL ?

NO CYNDI LAUPER ?????

Based on quality of 80's music, Madonna should be number 1. She was consistent compared to Prince and Jacko.

Absolute rubbish. Prince was the Mozart of the 80s. Nobody beat him in terms of overall output and consistency back then, he owned the decade and as was said was the most influential. Best music as well. Except for The Smiths. :)

Though Madonna is a serious challenger to anyone for best singles act of the 80s, cause essentially she was a singles act then, till she became a bonafide artist at the decades close with LAP - and of course cemented herself as a legend in 1990 with Vogue, Blonde Ambition etc. That capped off all she had done in her heyday of the 80s, she was so prolific then and really ensured she was going to be historical.

Best singles act of the 80s - The Smiths and Madonna

Best albums act of the 80s - The Smiths and Prince

:)

there's no denying that dance-pop as we now know it can be traced back to Madge's debut album (and MJ).

Oh no HG, I hate that tired argument that was in those ridiculous Immaculate Collection sleevenotes.

That is more from an American perspective cause disco never died, despite the record burning backlash and it being pulled from the airwaves there - it was alive and well in UK and Europe with the very influential Italo Disco and Hi-NRG, just updated forms of the music.

Madonna just brought so-called "dance-pop" back to the mainstream again. It's like Chic, Giorgio Moroder and New Order etc never existed.

REM should not b there.I think they meant more 2 the 90's.

Anyway all u MOTHERFUCKERS doubting PRINCE u r idiots :lmao:

LEGENDARY SET OF CLASSIC ALBUMS. VADGE IS A BIGGER CULTURAL ICON

BUT THE BITCH CAN ONLY DREAM OF ACHIEVING WHAT PRINCE DID MUSICALLY.

& U KNOW WHAT..IT4S OKAY CUZ BOTH MJ & P WAS FUCKIN SPENT AFTER THE 80's.

NOW BUY THESE RECORDS OR DIE :fag:

414V9X64YWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

416474R4AAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51VXXGHHBYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

410lrFLkTML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

513R556T9EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41JMY3JM63L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51UoUV5uFvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41BP4J8XQFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

REM should not b there.I think they meant more 2 the 90's.

Anyway all u MOTHERFUCKERS doubting PRINCE u r idiots :lmao:

LEGENDARY SET OF CLASSIC ALBUMS. VADGE IS A BIGGER CULTURAL ICON

BUT THE BITCH CAN ONLY DREAM OF ACHIEVING WHAT PRINCE DID MUSICALLY.

& U KNOW WHAT..IT4S OKAY CUZ BOTH MJ & P WAS FUCKIN SPENT AFTER THE 80's.

I would have agreed with you in 1992. But now, after almost 20 years of non-stop mediocre albums...

Guest Topaz Scorpio
Oh no HG, I hate that tired argument that was in those ridiculous Immaculate Collection sleevenotes.

That is more from an American perspective cause disco never died, despite the record burning backlash and it being pulled from the airwaves there - it was alive and well in UK and Europe with the very influential Italo Disco and Hi-NRG, just updated forms of the music.

Madonna just brought so-called "dance-pop" back to the mainstream again. It's like Chic, Giorgio Moroder and New Order etc never existed.

Exactly. M just helped reignite a lagging genre here in the States. She didn't create dance music. And her talent has always been to take what is not yet fully gone mainstream and take it wide (voguing, electronica, french electro-dance, gay house music, etc.), not creating new styles of music herself.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Accuracy.

She's never created a sound, but simply taken an already existing one and molded it to herself. The "Madonna" album doesn't have a "new" sound on it, it's the type of sound that was big back then for a lot of people. She just took the sound and made a VERY good record. Fans over blow her "sound" of the 80's a bit much i've noticed.

In saying that though, she would definitely be top 3 from the 80's, she's MY personal #1, but in the bigger scheme of things, outside of my own personal taste, i wouldn't say she is.

I would have agreed with you in 1992. But now, after almost 20 years of non-stop mediocre albums...

But we ARE talking about the 80's. It's the same with David Bowie, if he would die

(in 100 to 150 years from now)..You'll see that it does not matter what he's produced post 70's.

It'll always b about Hunky, Ziggy, Station & the Berlin trilogy..no matter what.

But we ARE talking about the 80's. It's the same with David Bowie, if he would die

(in 100 to 150 years from now)..You'll see that it does not matter what he's produced post 70's.

It'll always b about Hunky, Ziggy, Station & the Berlin trilogy..no matter what.

as much as I prefer Prince over MJ, as an icon, during the eighties, maybe Michael shoudl be at number 1.as a musician, or artist, no, but as an icon (the MTV years...) yes