Italy: Quake-city mayor appeals to Madonna for help

TOUR2008

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20270841,00.html

Madonna Donates Money to Italian Earthquake Victims

By K.C. Baker

Originally posted Tuesday April 07, 2009 08:15 PM EDT

Madonna

Photo by: Dominique Charriau / WireImage

When a devastating earthquake struck the Abruzzo region of Italy on Monday, the mayor of the hamlet of Pacentro made an appeal for help to the granddaughter of two former townspeople. The following morning, that granddaughter responded in a big way.

Madonna, whose paternal grandparents lived in Pacentro until 1919, made a "substantial donation" for the relief effort following the 6.3 magnitude quake that left more than 200 dead, says her publicist Liz Rosenberg. The rep wouldn't give the amount, but a source says it's about $500,000.

"I am happy to lend a helping hand to the town that my ancestors are from," Madonna tells PEOPLE. "My heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones or their homes."

Guest jamesshot

By K.C. Baker

Madonna

When a devastating earthquake struck the Abruzzo region of Italy on Monday, the mayor of the hamlet of Pacentro made an appeal for help to the granddaughter of two former townspeople. The following morning, that granddaughter responded in a big way.

Madonna, whose paternal grandparents lived in Pacentro until 1919, made a "substantial donation" for the relief effort following the 6.3 magnitude quake that left more than 200 dead, says her publicist Liz Rosenberg. The rep wouldn't give the amount, but a source says it's about $500,000.

"I am happy to lend a helping hand to the town that my ancestors are from," Madonna tells PEOPLE. "My heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones or their homes."

Good on her. I am sure everyone will say she did it for publicity but fuck em. She did the right thing.

Oh fuck those that would say her donation is for publicity, I think she's had enough of those already..... On second thought this might be a good publicity for those fuckin Malawi courts to think that she is selfless generous individual and is a fit mom for Mercy LOL joke hehehehe

madonna_punk01.jpg

Guest Pud Whacker

By K.C. Baker

Madonna

:thumbsup:

now put that fucking statue up. :lol:

By K.C. Baker

Madonna

That is FANTASTIC of her!!

I wish more people could see that this woman does indeed have a heart.

By K.C. Baker

Madonna

:thumbsup:

madonna gave more money that the USA.

what? :americanlife:

anyway, of course they are going to say it´s for publicity! if Bruce does it, is because he´s a working class hero (with tones of ferraris), but if madonna does it...I´m sure this time is not for publicity, I mean, during the 80s, she was clearly saying where she cam from, and 500.000 $ are cash for her!

in fact, well, I don´t know, but she could give a little bit more...but it´s more than ok, good for her

:wacko:

- - - -

from Guy Oseary's twitter:

thank you for informing me today that mayor of Pacentro,Italy made a plea to madonna for her to help earthquake victims.. help is on its way

- - - -

thank you for informing me today that mayor of Pacentro,Italy made a plea to madonna for her to help earthquake victims.. help is on its way

what i meant is that i don´t know if that money is a lot to help the people rom that area:sure is not a lot for her.But I hope we don´t start in a discussion for this

By K.C. Baker

Madonna

I'm glad she responded to the mayor's plea.

Guy O twittered:

yes.. it was the twitter nation that informed us today of the mayors plea.. @francesco77 sent me the article. madonna is making a donation

do any of you realize what 500,000 dollars is?

it's a hell of a lot of money

let's see if this story makes the front page of huffington post or not....uggh

Same story on digital spy to:

Madonna makes Italian quake donation

Wednesday, April 8 2009, 10:58 BST

By David Balls, Entertainment Reporter

Madonna has made a 'substantial' donation to a fund for victims of the recent earthquake in Italy.

The singer, who is the granddaughter of two former residents of Pacento, gave a reported $500,000 dollars after the town's mayor made a direct appeal for help.

"I am happy to lend a helping hand to the town that my ancestors are from," she told People.

"My heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones or their homes."

The earthquake, which measured 6.3 on the richter scale, struck the Abruzzo region of Italy on Monday.

Officials have placed the death toll at 250, with 100 in a serious condition and 20,000 homeless.

Twitter has opened a whole new form of communication between fans and M's people. How great that Guy Oseary really reads and listens to fans on Twitter.

yes. that's exactly what I have been thinking today.

Guest BytheBay
in fact, well, I don´t know, but she could give a little bit more...but it´s more than ok, good for her

wow.

- - - -

wow... so twitter is indeed getting into the MADONNA camp... hmmm...