Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

Malawi’s child welfare minister has backed Madonna’s bid to adopt a second child from the impoverished southern African country.

The high-level endorsement came the day before a judge is due to rule on the pop star’s request to adopt Chifundo “Mercy” James.

Women and Child Welfare Development Minister Anna Kachikho said Malawi has nearly two million orphans, and if people like Madonna adopt even one “it’s one mouth less” for Malawi.

Ms Kachikho’s ministry processes all adoptions in Malawi.

The minister added that the singer’s helping more than 25,000 Malawian children.

A coalition of non-governmental organisations in Malawi said Madonna’s plans have been fast-tracked because of her money and status.

The minister said such critics are ungrateful.

I find it funny that most people's issue seems to be the "fact" that she jumped the queue.

Well I'm sorry, but even if she did - so what? She's investing millions of pounds into that country, not to mention putting it on the western world's awareness map. If she does get special treatment, then she deserves it! Money talks motherfuckers.

How can people say she jumped the queue? From what I can see, there aren't really very many if any other U.S. or UK citizens who are going to Malawi and trying to adopt children. Now if there were people who tried to adopt Malawian children and they were denied the opportunity to do so, then the critics would have a point.

How can people say she jumped the queue? From what I can see, there aren't really very many if any other U.S. or UK citizens who are going to Malawi and trying to adopt children. Now if there were people who tried to adopt Malawian children and they were denied the opportunity to do so, then the critics would have a point.

You're absolutely right. I mean, there were stories about her wanting to adopt Mercy ages ago; so now it's public and she's gone people think she filed the papers last week or something. Anyway, I think we've established that the press have it in for her anyway, so it's futile to even argue with it. It will pass in time.

But even if she did jump the queue (which I don't think she did), I still don't think it's such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But of course the press (and most of the public at large, it seems) just refuse as a knee-jerk reaction to accept the notion of her doing something good or altruistic. Big deal.

The Malawian biological father of Madonna's first adopted child said Thursday he was happy that the star planned to adopt another child from that country to be a sister to his son.

"I am very very happy Madonna is going to adopt a sister called Mercy to David," Yohane Banda told AFP.

The American pop superstar is expected to hear a court decision Friday on her application to adopt a three-year-old girl, Mercy James, from an orphanage in southern Malawi.

"That's great news... Mercy and David will grow up together and remind each other that they come from a poor country called Malawi and hope they will do something about it," Yohane said.

Banda added that he had heard from Madonna herself that she intends to adopt the girl "to be a sister to David."

The little girl has been staying at the orphanage following the death of her mother, who died shortly after giving birth. It is said that Madonna first met the child during her first visit in the country to adopt David Banda.

The singer caused controversy then as she was accused of using her fame and wealth to fast-track the process whereas Malawi does not have inter-country adoption legislation.

Madonna was given provisional custody for 18 months, which was made permanent last May.

From the AFP via Google News.

:gent:

Madonna is celebrating the adoption of three-year-old Mercy James — expected to be approved by a judge tomorrow morning — by throwing a party in Malawi.

Raising Malawi staff (who facilitated the adoption), government officials and teachers Madonna recruited for her Raising Malawi Academy are currently partying with the singer at the luxe Kumbali Lodge.

See photos of other stars who have adopted.

Earlier today, a truck carrying traditional dancers was spotted arriving at the lodge.

"We have been hired to perform for Madonna," a man carrying a traditional drum made of cow hide told a local. "We are very excited."

Check out pictures of stars partying.

Mercy's uncles, Peter Baneti and John Ngalande, arrived at the event early.

They signed off on adoption papers Monday -- despite outcry from non-governmental organizations that accuse Madonna of using her wealth and celebrity status to bend Malawi's adoption laws.

Look back at Madonna's biggest scandals.

"Mercy is now assured of a good education away from the abject poverty of our village," Baneti told Us earlier today. "Madonna has assured us she will not cut her ties with us."

Madonna's three-year-old adopted son, David Banda, visited with his birth father, Yohane Banda, last Sunday. (Although Yohane will not attend the party as he's returned to his home in Lipunga Village.)

Judge Esme Chombo is expected to sign off on the adoption during a Friday hearing at Lilongwe High Court at 8:30 a.m. local time.

Lola is such a LADY!

I will never understand the hate she gets. Here she is, assuring a good life to kids in need, doing MORE than all of us could do together, taking her time to contribute to a noble cause, but still, she's an attention-seeking-recently-divorced-aging tramp!

Lola is such a LADY!

I will never understand the hate she gets. Here she is, assuring a good life to kids in need, doing MORE than all of us could do together, taking her time to contribute to a noble cause, but still, she's an attention-seeking-recently-divorced-aging tramp!

Listen.....unless a terrible tragedy happens where she is a victim (god forbid) then this is how she will be treated even when she's doing something good. Even her horse riding accident didn't gain much sympathy, in fact even some of her own diehard fans claim it was all a hoax and it was just downtime for surgery. So there you have it....no matter what she will always pay for her reputation as a "sexpot" and her reputation as a strong as steel woman who hardly ever let's anything get in the way of what she wants.

Guest Pud Whacker
Listen.....unless a terrible tragedy happens where she is a victim (god forbid) then this is how she will be treated even when she's doing something good. Even her horse riding accident didn't gain much sympathy, in fact even some of her own diehard fans claim it was all a hoax and it was just downtime for surgery. So there you have it....no matter what she will always pay for her reputation as a "sexpot" and her reputation as a strong as steel woman who hardly ever let's anything get in the way of what she wants.

:rotfl: i know - that was the most ridiculous ever.

loved the footage where someone off the sidelines (always those, isnt it, sweetie?) said, "madonna would you like to talk about your adoption?" madonna: NO. :lol:

"madonna, can you you see how some people think you shouldnt adopt?' madonna: NO.

:lol:

For what its worth, I've been hearing nothing but good things on the radio and on TV about this. I guess it took Madonna going back and bravely doing this all over again for people to understand that she's not fucking around.

And yes, Lola is a lady. :inlove:

It seems like all the negative bullshit is coming from the usual haters...Roger Freidman, FOX News and such. Although Anderson Cooper did post a link to an article questioning her motives in one of his tweets.

M gets a lot of support in Malawi, but also in the international media as well. I heard a lot of positive things is the past day or so; I think that some people are realizing that the criticism about the adoption is biased, ludicrous and is basically based of the hatred towards M and nothing more (like that "article" that the ugly psycho from the Post wrote, for example).

Malawians support Madonna's adoption

(CNN) -- Malawians are rallying behind Madonna as she awaits a ruling Friday on whether she can adopt a girl from the southern African nation.

The pop star, who has three children, adopted a son from Malawi in 2006. She is seeking to adopt Chifundo "Mercy" James, 4.

"Ninety-nine percent of the people calling in are saying, 'let her take the baby,' " said Marilyn Segula, a presenter at Capital FM, which broadcasts in at least five cities, including the capital, Lilongwe.

"People are saying: 'Why are these NGOs pretending to care now? If anyone wanted to amend the law, they should have done it with other adoptions.' "

The law in Malawi stipulates that foreigners must have lived in the country for more than a year before they can adopt legally.

A local umbrella group for nonprofits accused the pop star Thursday of taking advantage of a weakness in the system just days after charity Save the Children UK said the child, whose teenage mother died days after her birth, should be raised by her extended family.

"We are concerned that our laws are being taken advantage of -- Malawi has very archaic adoption laws that have not changed in the past 50 years," said Mavuto Bamusi, the national coordinator of Malawi Human Rights Consultative Committee.

"We are actively campaigning for a change in laws," Bamusi added. "Yes, Malawi is poor, yes, it has a high mortality rate -- we are not disputing these facts. But is not an excuse to take children out of the country."

Chris Kamlongera, a drama professor at a university in Zomba, disagrees.

"If the nearest relatives of the child have no objection, what right does anyone have to challenge an offer to help a child?" Kamlongera asked. "If Madonna had ill-treated the first child she adopted, then they can argue. Otherwise, this is just another noise that will subside."

Kamlongera's sentiment is echoed by many in the nation, one of the poorest and least developed in the world. About two thirds of its citizens live below the poverty line while 46 percent of children under age 5 are chronically malnourished, according to the U.N.

"The critics have to ask themselves: Will they adopt that child? Have they ever adopted a child? If not, leave Madonna alone," said Bruce Charles, 29, a tour operator in Lilongwe.

Pheroce Tendame, Charles' co-worker, said while the welfare of the child is important, Madonna must abide by the law.

"She should not be treated differently, efforts must be made to ensure rules are followed because it is for the good of the child," Tendame said.

The pop star, who recently divorced filmmaker Guy Ritchie, first met Chifundo a few years ago.

"She has always had in mind that this is the girl she was going to come back and adopt," said Martin Geissler, a reporter for the ITN television network, who is in Malawi.

A judge will issue an interim ruling Friday as scheduled, according to Ken Manda, senior deputy registrar at high court of Malawi.

"A positive decision will mean she can foster the child, then someone will visit her home later on to check on the girl before a permanent ruling can be made," Manda said.

--------------------------------------------------------

Another interesting and well written article about M's visit:

Madonna visit sheds light on Malawi's poverty

Guest harbors

:bow::bow::bow::bow::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

WE NEED TO SPREAD IT WIDELY!

SEND IT TO PEREZ, X17, FADEDYOUTHBLOG, JARED, ECT SO THAT MILLIONS CAN SEE IT.

Madonna loses bid to adopt second Malawian child

A Malawian court ruled on Friday that U.S. pop star Madonna cannot be granted an interim adoption of a second child from the country, three court sources said.

Rights groups have accused Malawian authorities of giving her special treatment. Malawi's government, which came under fire after Madonna adopted a 13-month-old Malawian child, said Thursday it would support a second adoption.

It was not clear whether Madonna would try to appeal against the latest ruling. Her lawyer was not immediately available for comment.

Malawian civil society groups opposed the adoption attempt and a local human rights activist said it would amount to child trafficking.

Malawian Information Minister Patricia Kaliati told Reuters Thursday that Madonna had helped in the country and was a worthy mother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malawi court rejects Madonna adoption request

AP

A judge and a lawyer say Madonna's application to adopt a second child from Malawi has been rejected because of a requirement that prospective parents be resident in the country for 18 to 24 months.

The judge who spoke did not make the ruling, but saw it. The lawyer was present when the ruling was made. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

LILONGWE, Malawi (AP) — A judge and a lawyer say Madonna's application to adopt a second child from Malawi has been rejected because of a requirement that prospective parents be resident in the country for 18 to 24 months.

The judge who spoke did not make the ruling, but saw it. The lawyer was present when the ruling was made. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

According to the Associated Press, the application has been rejected over residency rules.

I'm sure Madonna will appeal. Still, this must be heartbreaking for everyone, especially after M and the kids already spent time and bonded with Mercy.

She got David and she was never a resident in Malawi :confused:

Madonna loses bid to adopt second Malawian child

AP

A judge and a lawyer say Madonna's application to adopt a second child from Malawi has been rejected because of a requirement that prospective parents be resident in the country for 18 to 24 months.

It's VERY important for Madonna not to give up - that will just fuel the whole 'black trophy child' stupidity in the media. She should issue a press release saying she respects the court's ruling and will continue to seek ways to work with the courts to adopt Mercy. I'm sure we'll hear something in a few hours.

She may live past the age of 48. Theres plent yof the rich western world who dont make it past 48 too. Just because she may end up having a poor life in Africa does not mean she will be unhappy.

There is this sick assumption with a lot of fans that Mercy is losing out simply because the judge is not allowing her to be bought by some wealthy westerner. I agree its child trafficking. It just looks like a latest celebrity fad. No one knows what Madonna's real intentions are but at the end of the day I doubt she could manage a career, 4 kids - oh yeah i forgot she has a lot of nannies to help her with her kids.

If there was an 18 month residency rule then why did they allow David to be adopted?

The reason why Angelina Jolie doe snot get as much bad publicity is because she has been involved in UN voluntary efforts for quite a while. To outsiders it would appear madonna is just jumping on a bandwagon.

That's disappointing.

Well, thanks to the wicked press I am sure Mercy will now have a great 48-year life span.

It's VERY important for Madonna not to give up - that will just fuel the whole 'black trophy child' stupidity in the media. She should issue a press release saying she respects the court's ruling and will continue to seek ways to work with the courts to adopt Mercy. I'm sure we'll hear something in a few hours.

I agree, she should definitely not give up. I feel for Mercy as this ruling definitely isn't in the best interests of the child.

I had a feeling it would go this way - the haters in the media will be rubbing their hands with glee

Actually I'm surprised by this. By all reports, including quotes from her lawyer, she was let to believe it would be approved.

Her kids must be heartbroken now as well.

Home Showbiz Music Movie News News Tracker UK Showbiz Twitter RSS FEED Madonna's Adoption Bid Rejected

By Adam, April 3 2009

Madonna is said to be "furious" after a judge in Malawi denied her bid to adopt 4-year-old orphan Mercy.

Despite the Material Girl hitmaker's lawyer being confident everything would go to plan, Madonna was told she could not take the tot back with her to her home in America because she was not a permanent resident of Malawi.

The ruling said, "Put simply courts do make law by the process of precedence and Miss Madonna may not be the only international person interested in adopting the so-called poor children of Malawi.

"By removing the very safeguard that is supposed to protect our children the courts by their pronouncements could actively facilitate trafficking of children by some unscrupulous individuals who would take advantage of the weakness of the law of the land.

"Anyone could come to Malawi and quickly arrange an adoption that might have grave consequences on the very children that the law seeks to protect.

"Having considered this then, at the end of the day I must decline to grant the application for the adoption of the infant CJ."

Sources close to Madonna said she was "spitting blood" after the judge defied the Malawian government to deny the adoption.

Although more than 100 rights groups accused Malawian authorities of giving Madonna special treatment, the country's government, which came under fire after Madonna adopted David Banda, said on Thursday it would support a second adoption.

The judge said, "According to information from global media the petitioner jetted into the country just days after making the application.

"I take judicial notice of the reports in the media that the last time that the Petitioner was in the country was in 2008 at the time of the final adoption order for David Banda.

"In my considered opinion this would completely remove the Petitioner from the definition of a resident as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary."