Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

I am just astounded by the hate talk on this from some media outlets and human rights groups. :thumbsdown: How can they not look at the latest pics of David on Madonna's lap and the smile on his Dad and not be warmed by what they "both" did to make the best life for David and how this couldn't happen for Mercy too? There are truly some cold heart hateful people in this world.

Yohane lost two sons prior to David's birth and says he is relieved Madonna is taking care of the toddler. 'I was very happy to meet David again. He reminds me of the two sons I lost in infancy.

I can't believe young children just die like that in Africa. It's so shocking and heartbreaking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bonnie-fulle...a_b_181297.html

When Little Orphan Annie is adopted by Daddy Warbucks in the Broadway show "Annie," does anyone in the audience think, "This is an outrage"? Daddy Warbucks lives in a huge, fabulous mansion on Fifth Avenue, is friends with President Roosevelt and when he first brings Annie home for a tryout visit, he assigns his assistant to take charge of her — yet no one in the audience gasps. I don't recall theatergoers telling their children that poor little Annie should have stayed in the orphanage because Daddy Warbucks is too rich, too single, and possibly in too much of a midlife crisis to adopt her.

And remember, it's not ascertained until the end of the show that Annie is in fact a true orphan — her parents could still be alive.

Well if it's OK for richie rich Daddy Warbucks to become an "adoptive" dad, then why are media and other Big Mouths in a fury that megarich Madonna is about to "steal" another African child from an orphanage? So what that she's rich and is touring the Malawian orphanage in a $2,800 Chanel sweatsuit? At least she's there and she's spent a portion of her fortune making improvements to that orphanage. Are her critics raising money to improve the lives of the one million Malawian orphans or lining up to adopt them themselves? There's certainly plenty of children desperate for parents in the small African country — one in five of its children are, in fact, orphans.

If Madonna can give an opportunity to even one of these poverty-stricken children, why should her wardrobe matter? Has anyone priced out Angelina Jolie's outfits when she went to Vietnam, Ethiopia or Cambodia - the home countries of HER three adopted children? When Angelina dresses for red carpet events, she routinely wears Ralph Lauren, Versace and Max Azria. Should this disqualify her from adopting in the future? Should all wealthy people with designer-laden wardrobes be excluded from adopting? Should Oprah forget her dream of educating poor South African girls because she likes to carry an Hermes purse?

The child that Madonna is adopting is reportedly named Mercy and she is 4 years old. I remember hearing that when Madonna adopted David Banda as an infant — he's now a healthy-looking 3-year-old — she had also wanted to adopt a little girl named Mercy. So she's had Mercy in her sight for two years, and never forgot about her. She's hardly returned to Malwai to "shop" for a child. If anything, she's refused to forget about an orphan that, like Annie, desperately needed a home to call her own.

According to press reports, Mercy's 18-year old mother died when she was just five days old, her dad is MIA and she has a 61 year-old grandmother Lucy Chekechiwa who has accused Madonna of stealing her granddaughter. Mind you: Mercy lives in the same orphanage where Madonna discovered David Banda. She does not live with her grandmother.

Now, I am sympathetic to the feelings of Mercy's grandmother who doesn't want to lose all ties with her granddaughter. But put this in an American perspective. There are hundreds of thousands of children in this country who are ineligible for adoption because a parent or grandparent who can't care for them has refused to release them for adoption. Instead, these children and teenagers are caught in the foster care system for years, and can be shuttled from foster home to foster home to group home, until they are 18.

The result: They never have the opportunity to have their own loving, stable home with an adoptive family of their own. Instead, when they are 18 they are thrown out like unwanted animals to fend for themselves in the streets. Rosie O'Donnell just filmed a movie called "America" for Lifetime about this harsh reality.

Now imagine being Mercy. She has a chance to escape a place where one in five children doesn't live past the age of five, the average life expectancy is 48, and the average household income is $160 a year. How powerless would you feel if a bunch of muckety mucks that you've never met are trying to ruin your chance for a better life?

Wouldn't you want to be special to someone? Have a mom? Have someone to kiss your boo boos? Have a big sister and two brothers? Have a cozy bed? Go to school? Be able to see a doctor when you're sick? Have enough to eat? Go to college? Be able to have a profession that you love when you grow up?

Would you really want to be denied these things because your potential mom was rich and wore a $2,800 Chanel sweatsuit? Madonna with her Kabbalah and fitness obsession may not be everyone's cup of tea but by all reports she is a loving mother. Lourdes and Rocco have been photographed playing happily with local kids in Central Park numerous times. They look like completely normal, happy children. Pictures of David Banda show that he's grown into a healthy, smiling three year-old. There's no evidence that the children of rock stars grow up any more or less dysfunctional than other children, at least as long as they aren't featured in a reality show, Ozzy Osbourne- style.

So have mercy on Madonna Bigbucks and Mercy. If you're not prepared to go to Africa and adopt a needy child, then don't diss someone who is, even if she is a material girl.

I would love to see Madonna walking in the office rooms of those newspapers to call these bitches out. You know walking down the aisles of writing desks and entering the glass office where they work and slamming the door. "So, I have heard you got something to say? Here I am!" I bet they couldn´t get a word out.

Madonna confirms her adoption push in Malawi

MCHINJI, Malawi – Madonna said Tuesday that she was following standard procedures in her adoption of a Malawian girl, her first response to accusations that she is using her fame to speed the process.

The pop superstar also took her 3-year-old adopted son, David, to visit the orphanage in Mchinji, a village near the Zambian border, where he once lived.

The orphanage's director Lucy Chipeta said she brought David, Madonna, her 12-year-old daughter Lourdes and 8-year-old son Rocco to see the room and crib that David had used.

"It was an emotional moment," Chipeta told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I am happy she brought her other children to see his roots."

Madonna took the children to the orphanage with a security detail including uniformed Malawian police officers and plain-clothed guards from a private security firm. The entourage used two Toyota Land Cruisers to block a horde of journalists and more than 200 curious children.

There were scuffles with the journalists, including cameramen and TV crews, as they tried to enter the brick-walled orphanage.

Madonna brought David on Monday to meet his biological father for the first time since he left Malawi in 2006.

"Madonna is committed to maintaining an ongoing relationship with David's Malawian roots," said Liz Rosenberg in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

She also confirmed Madonna is trying to adopt a girl named Chifundo "Mercy" James who is about 4 years old.

"Madonna is currently awaiting a judge's ruling regarding the adoption of Mercy James. She is following all standard procedures that are required," Rosenberg wrote.

Madonna says following rules in Malawi adoption

By Michelle Nichols

NEW YORK, March 31 (Reuters) - Madonna is "not skirting any legal issues" in her bid to adopt a young girl from Malawi, her spokeswoman said on Tuesday amid criticism the U.S. singer is receiving special treatment in the southeast African country.

Malawi civil society groups have said they plan to oppose Madonna's attempted adoption of four-year-old Mercy James, while a prominent local human rights activist said the move would amount to child trafficking.

Madonna appeared in court in Malawi on Monday seeking to adopt Mercy. The case was adjourned until April 3.

"The adoption process for Mercy began over a year ago when Madonna met her on one of her visits to Malawi. The connection was instant and profound," spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg said in a statement emailed to Reuters. "Madonna's desire to adopt Mercy is totally heartfelt."

"She is not skirting any legal issues in her application to adopt this child and is looking to provide a loving family environment and the best education and health care possible for a child who has been in an orphanage since her birth," said Rosenberg.

She said Madonna has "tremendous support" in Malawi for the adoption, including from President Bingu Wa Mutharika.

Critics had accused the government of giving Madonna, one of the world's most successful performing artists, special treatment when she adopted her three-year-old Malawian son David Banda, saying it skirted laws that ban nonresidents from adopting children.

Rosenberg said the singer has taken David to visit his biological father in Malawi. Madonna took custody of David in October 2006. A court formally approved the adoption in May 2008.

"Madonna is committed to maintaining an ongoing relationship with David's Malawian roots," Rosenberg said.

Madonna also has two biological children -- daughter Lourdes, 12, and son Rocco, 8.

Guest MLover

An e-mail I just sent the bitch who wrote that scathing article in the NY Post:

"I feel so amazingly sorry for you. You're a very sad, cynical lady - and I use that term very loosely - full of ignorant, judgmental hate. And your haughty and "better than thou" attitude is repulsing.

I did not have, nor would ever have, the misfortune of buying the NY Post "news"paper (what self-respecting, true journalism New Yorker fan would?), but I did have the misfortune of being forwarded a link to the article you wrote bafflingly bashing Madonna's efforts to adopt a little girl from an orphanage in Malawi. Last I checked, orphanages house orphans who, by definition, don't have parents to care for them; and the whole purpose of such establishments is to care for such orphans until: a) they are old enough to care for themselves; or b) they are ADOPTED. What, exactly, is Madonna doing wrong here? I don't understand where all of your hatred is spewing from. You make absolutely no sense in your "article" (read: trash), and it is oozing with diabolically twisted misinformation.

I am just perplexed at the amount of hate that exists in people like you. It is saddening. Madonna "trading in human trinkets"? Astonishing! As if all this publicity is actually bringing her positive attention from attention-hungry media outlets such as the one who employs you! As if her first attempt at adopting an African orphan - who, by the way, seems to look like a very healthy and happy, loved and cared for, well-adjusted child to anyone with half a brain - didn't bring her a virtual tsunami of undeserved, scathing, hurtful, "below the belt" criticism! Why in the world would she decide to actually put herself through all of this again? Could it be that, perhaps, just MAYBE, she actually does have love in her heart? That she, actually, wants to do something good for humanity? That she, actually, has room in her heart, room in her many homes and plentiful resources to accept another enormously needy child into her life? That she, actually, wants to enrich her first adopted son's life by expanding his family to include another member who would be able to truly understand him in a more intimate, familial way? That she, actually, wants to put her hard earned cash to good use in this world? That she, actually, was touched by and wants to help this little girl whom she spotted years ago and who she hasn't forgotten about, enough so to, actually, go back to AFRICA to make sure she follows through with her promise to make sure this little girl's ok, and that she can give this little girl a life she can only dream about?

No, it can be those things! It just can't! Not to a bitter, most likely lonely, evil, sadly cynical person like you! Madonna has to have an agenda of some sort, right? Madonna has to be doing this all just for attention, right? This all has to be about Madonna exercising her financial influence in order to "circumvent laws and procedures" (laws and procedures that obviously haven't benefitted the millions of sickly and dying orphans of Malawi). Yes, that has to explain all of this. These just have to be the reasons. Otherwise, your sad, but comfortable, little world of hatred and cynicism would just implode. The truth would be too much for your feeble heart to handle. Everyone else has to be as wicked as you are inside. Otherwise, it would mean you're a sad, lonely, pathetic, hateful person, right? So, go ahead and "reason" with yourself and all of your lemming-minded readers the way you have in your "article". Make yourself feel better in the process so you can forget just how you have done NOTHING to help this world, but are still ferociously criticizing someone who's, at least, trying.

Evil, evil, evil. Just, evil."

Edited by MLover

Nicely written, MLover. :thumbsup:

Here's a very supportive article, coming from the UK. I also recall this lovely redheaded bitch wrote a very supportive article around the time of the divorce.

Madonna has to adopt a defiant stance

By Gail Walker

Why all this moral fingerpointing about Madonna’s wish to adopt a second child from Malawi?

Fair enough, she's a global megastar. Fair enough, she's only recently dumped ‘our own’ Guy Ritchie — the chap who for a while gave us rights of ownership to ‘Madge’ — and that brought her domestic arrangements into focus once again.

But really we had all this last time round, with the adoption of her son David. The reaction then was particularly venomous, with the little boy hunted from the airport to his front door with the same hysterical mania as if he’d actually been Madeleine McCann.

Madonna held her ground then, with her usual disdain for whatever drivel the media can serve up about her. And now quite remarkably she’s returned to the same contentious process to adopt Mercy James, a four-year-old orphan.

It's easy to see why the star is one of the most resilient, enduring icons of modern culture — the bitch just won't let go. Anyone else would have said after the last adoption: “That was a PR disaster. No more of that.” But not Madonna. And that's because she knows it's been a success.

Her charity, Raising Malawi, is well bedded in now — jibes about its Kaballah ethos are about as tasteless as comments about any faith-based mission. The notion, as put forward by some charities, that children like David and Mercy would be better left in their own culture, is actually an argument for the withdrawal of all Western aid agencies from countries similarly afflicted by hunger and disease.

Intervention takes many forms, but the idea that creating a small island of wealth in which a chosen child might be brought up and the standards of their family raised to an impossible level in comparison with the next village is untenable and stupid.

Next we’d be told it would be that Madonna did nothing — and that that would be a better outcome. Child dies in its natural habitat and the western world is safe for freetrade chocolate and eco-ethical flip flops.

But this isn't some ‘rent a random refugee' scheme. This is an adoption. David is her son. Mercy James will be Madonna's daughter. Just as if she had conceived and given birth to her. All the rights belonging to blood belong to these two children. It's for keeps. The value of Madonna's action will be felt by adoption agencies here who are still struggling to place children because there’s still felt to be something peculiar about it all, with the Press routinely more interested in who the real parents are and if they have traced them yet.

The only people whose views count on this are the children themselves. They will be the ones who will judge Madonna Louise Ciccone, in the way we all do as we look back on our childhoods.

It's understandable Save The Children will seize on the opportunity to attach themselves to a megastar in order to raise their profile a few blocks up the websites. But I doubt anyone is giving money to that charity in order for it to sound forth about Madonna's quite legitimate, ethical and love-based adoption. After all, Madonna doesn't have to do this, she doesn't need the feelgood-ery, the profile boost.

As for the critics who object because she’s a single mother? Yes, a two-parent family is always the ideal, but there are many single mothers — often not by choice — doing an outstanding job bringing up children on their own.

Besides, the evidence would suggest that Madonna presides over a tight family unit. Her older daughter Lourdes is with her in Malawi, involved in the process and keen to welcome her new sister.

Would every teenager be so keen? It shows Madonna is able to give her family real, engaged responsibilies in thinking of others less well-off than themselves.

If David and Mercy grow up thinking they are different in that family set-up, it will only because of the rubber-necking and mutterings of the society they are living in. It won't be as a result of the family that they’re now part of.

Andrea Peyser of the NY Post has always LOATHED Madonna. It's almost personal.

The articles in support are wonderful to read though, and I love the pics of her and David with his birth father. I think Madonna is just wonderful for doing what she's doing, despite the vitriolic hate leveled at her. I've always thought she had a huge resevoir of love inside of her, and her children are so clearly the focus of it. Some people simply refuse to see that, and revel in cynicism.

front033109.jpg

This Andrea bitch has hated Madonna for years, especially during the American Life "anti-war" era. I've read articles written by her on completely different topics where she still somehow manages a way to include a swipe at Madonna.

Madonna defies criticism and vows to continue adopting baby Mercy

Defiant Madonna has told friends she will not be put off by the barrage of criticism over her attempt to adopt a second child from Malawi.

The singer knew her trip to find a sister for three-year-old David Banda would stir up a hornets’ nest – and sent friend Ben Fellows an email that predicted: “Let the storm commence.”

British film-maker Ben, who was himself adopted, said Madonna was determined to face the flak head-on. He added: “Once Madonna has put her mind to something, she achieves it – and this adoption is no different.

“She told me she thought it was very important that David had a sister, she had unconditional love to give another child and was going to jump through hoops to get her.

“She knew exactly what she was walking into. She was well aware that people would start sniping about it. She sent me an email just before she left for Malawi and signed it off ‘Let the storm commence!’”

Ben, who became friends with Madonna two years ago when he was making a film about his search for his birth mother, insisted she will be a great mum to Mercy James, the three-year-old girl she wants to adopt.

He said: “Despite her reputation, Madonna is a warm, loving woman. She speaks from the heart.”

London-based Ben, 34, said Madonna was angry when she was criticised for adopting David in November 2006.

He added: “She couldn’t understand it. She was hurt. Surely it shows how loved Mercy James is going to be that Madonna is prepared to go through all of this again in order to adopt her?”

Madonna, 50, yesterday took David back to the orphanage in Malawi where he used to live.

She apologised to staff there after the toddler seemed not to understand when the children there spoke to him in the Chichewa language.

Madonna, also accompanied by daughter Lourdes, 12, and son Rocco, seven, said she had hired a tutor to ensure David would be able to speak to the orphans on future visits.

She then handed out David and Rocco’s old clothes to youngsters.

David was taken to see the room where he used to sleep and was reunited with the nurse who used to look after him. One staff member said: “David can’t remember his time here because he was only a baby when he left.”

Mercy James was not with Madonna. She is being looked after by a nanny at a lodge where the family is staying.

A judge will rule on Madonna’s adoption attempt this week. She has been accused of using her fame to sidestep rules.

source: foxnews.com

Madonna's Missing Millions

Before Madonna “adopts” another child from Malawi, maybe someone should ask her where the money went from her big star studded 2008 fundraiser for that country.

We tried: this column has tried to ascertain from The Gucci Foundation and from Madonna’s Kabbalah-backed Raising Malawi where the estimated $3.7 million has gone from the February 6, 2008 extravaganza. So far: No answers.

You may recall that Madonna summoned all her celebrity friends, especially the ones involved with Kabbalah like Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher, as well those caught up in their own fringe religions like Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

The fundraiser had some problems, however. Even though Raising Malawi had been in business for two years, it was still not approved as a sanctioned non profit at the time. Instead, Gucci formed its own Foundation — known as a 501 c3 — to collect the money. They brought UNICEF on board to give the event a feeling of legitimacy. But in the end, the efforts expended were for Raising Malawi, an organization founded by the Kabbalah Center of Los Angeles. Raising Malawi teaches the Kabbalah curriculum, called Spirituality for Kids, to Malawi orphans.

Now, fourteen months after the fundraiser, there’s no accounting for the money that came in. At the time, Gucci claimed that they’d underwritten the entire event, that $3.7 million had been raised and that it had been split between Raising Malawi and UNICEF.

But since then, The Gucci Foundation has still not filed a Form 990 tax statement, and neither has Raising Malawi. Calls to Gucci haven’t provided any information, and calls and emails to Raising Malawi haven’t been returned.

Where the money has gone — and the whole story of Raising Malawi — comes at an inconvenient time for Madonna. She’s currently back in Malawi trying to adopt yet another child, this time a four year girl named Mercy. According to a well reported story in London’s Daily Mail, the controversial pop star is getting a lot of criticism for trying to take Mercy away from her family. Madonna appeared at a hearing yesterday in Malawi to plead her case.

While no one should be surprised by this, FOX NEWS is blatantly LYING. :bad:

Not only has Raising Malawi been a registered 501c3 for quite some time (I checked the IRS non-profit database and found it registered as a legit charity), but the filing of 2008 tax documents doesn't even have to be done until 5 months after the end of their fiscal year (whatever that might be). In fact, I found this text on some Form 990 FAQ's:

There is no one date on which all Forms 990 must be submitted to the IRS. Instead, a nonprofit's filing date is determined by the end of its fiscal year (the 12-month period for which the organization plans the use of its funds); each filing organization is required to file "by the 15th day of the 5th month after" its fiscal year ends.

This means that even if Raising Malawi or any of these other partners for the benefit have their fiscal year ending on 12/31/08, the forms aren't due until May 15, 2009 at the latest. So FOX NEWS is jumping on this like they didn't file their return and they have 45 more days to do it.

:rant:

"I feel so amazingly sorry for you. You're a very sad, cynical lady - and I use that term very loosely - full of ignorant, judgmental hate. And your haughty and "better than thou" attitude is repulsing.

I did not have, nor would ever have, the misfortune of buying the NY Post "news"paper (what self-respecting, true journalism New Yorker fan would?), but I did have the misfortune of being forwarded a link to the article you wrote bafflingly bashing Madonna's efforts to adopt a little girl from an orphanage in Malawi. Last I checked, orphanages house orphans who, by definition, don't have parents to care for them; and the whole purpose of such establishments is to care for such orphans until: a) they are old enough to care for themselves; or b) they are ADOPTED. What, exactly, is Madonna doing wrong here? I don't understand where all of your hatred is spewing from. You make absolutely no sense in your "article" (read: trash), and it is oozing with diabolically twisted misinformation.

I am just perplexed at the amount of hate that exists in people like you. It is saddening. Madonna "trading in human trinkets"? Astonishing! As if all this publicity is actually bringing her positive attention from attention-hungry media outlets such as the one who employs you! As if her first attempt at adopting an African orphan - who, by the way, seems to look like a very healthy and happy, loved and cared for, well-adjusted child to anyone with half a brain - didn't bring her a virtual tsunami of undeserved, scathing, hurtful, "below the belt" criticism! Why in the world would she decide to actually put herself through all of this again? Could it be that, perhaps, just MAYBE, she actually does have love in her heart? That she, actually, wants to do something good for humanity? That she, actually, has room in her heart, room in her many homes and plentiful resources to accept another enormously needy child into her life? That she, actually, wants to enrich her first adopted son's life by expanding his family to include another member who would be able to truly understand him in a more intimate, familial way? That she, actually, wants to put her hard earned cash to good use in this world? That she, actually, was touched by and wants to help this little girl whom she spotted years ago and who she hasn't forgotten about, enough so to, actually, go back to AFRICA to make sure she follows through with her promise to make sure this little girl's ok, and that she can give this little girl a life she can only dream about?

No, it can be those things! It just can't! Not to a bitter, most likely lonely, evil, sadly cynical person like you! Madonna has to have an agenda of some sort, right? Madonna has to be doing this all just for attention, right? This all has to be about Madonna exercising her financial influence in order to "circumvent laws and procedures" (laws and procedures that obviously haven't benefitted the millions of sickly and dying orphans of Malawi). Yes, that has to explain all of this. These just have to be the reasons. Otherwise, your sad, but comfortable, little world of hatred and cynicism would just implode. The truth would be too much for your feeble heart to handle. Everyone else has to be as wicked as you are inside. Otherwise, it would mean you're a sad, lonely, pathetic, hateful person, right? So, go ahead and "reason" with yourself and all of your lemming-minded readers the way you have in your "article". Make yourself feel better in the process so you can forget just how you have done NOTHING to help this world, but are still ferociously criticizing someone who's, at least, trying.

Your awsome! :thumbsup:

Nice job M-Lover on that email.!

I'm just upest about how people who dont know Madonna's background with Malawi, etc are being brainwashed by bad press about her.

I don't really care why Madonna is adopting the baby, David is a happy kid and this kid is going to have a great life like him and thats all that matters. I hope David never reads that stuff when hes older.

Fox News (particually Roger Friedman, who I'm guessing wrote that piece??) is obsessed with tieing her and Kabbalah into some huge scandal and is always refering to tax statements and the like, to sound like they have some kind of information. They've hinted at/'exposed' this a dozen times already. They would love for that to be true, or for her to actually kidnap a child.

Guest harbors

Excellent! :thumbsup::bow:

Guest jamesshot

Judging from the poster comments at Huffingtonpost, she is getting a huge amount of support now. Usually in any Madonna article on HuffPo, the poster comments are overwhelmingly negative. This time, they have 3 or 4 articles about her in the Entertainment section and I would say, on average, the comments are running 70-30 in support of Madonna.

When you look at her own kids, and David, it is hard not to see a loving, happy family. They all look so 'together'.

This is just another example of people using whatever they can to say hateful things towards Madonna. As usual, she is above it. She is a tough, strong broad and that is why I like her. Oh and the great music of course! :)

Anyone know who wrote that article from around 1990 in NY POST that said MADONNA: WHAT A TRAMP on the cover?

im curious if it was this bitch

I still have that! Have to dig it out, but I'm pretty sure it was a male. That article was more rediculous than anything, though you could read the homophobia between the lines.

Guest jamesshot
its amazing that no matter what she does

she still strikes a nerve in them somehow

That is because she truly is a strong female who doesn't back down or get intimidated. She scares the shit outta most (straight) men and even many women.

I still have that! Have to dig it out, but I'm pretty sure it was a male. That article was more rediculous than anything, though you could read the homophobia between the lines.

thanks I never read it, but I remember that cover. I guess the NyPost hates her.

Showbiz tonight was just talking about how crazy that lady is who wrote the article today.

You can vote on thier poll for tonight too"

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/showbiz.tonight/

I am so saddened that she's taking a lot of heat for this, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. That Huffington Post piece is very, very nicely done.

It just struck me -- Mercy gave Madonna a reason to do something she hates doing: repeat herself. She's going through all this PR hell (though, not real struggle in comparison to the life of the children in Malawi, as I'm sure Madonna would point out) all over again -- all for Mercy's sake. It's clear that she loves her deeply.

thanks I never read it, but I remember that cover. I guess the NyPost hates her.

from what I remember it was a laundry list of her 'shocking' comments during an interview with The Advocate while promoting Truth or Dare, most of which revolved around her support for the gay community. She said she supported a gay protest at a famous NYC church, among other things. Can't find the interview online but I found this bit:

Advocate: Why is the music industry so homophobic?

Madonna: They're not going to be when I get finished with them.

First current picture of Mercy - holding Lourdes' hand :inlove:

SNN0109MNN-682_770535a.jpg

Mum Madge shows Mercy

The Queen of Pop was pictured with Mercy for the first time yesterday as authorities began finalising the adoption arrangements.

Four-year-old Mercy held the hand of new sister Lourdes, 12, as she enjoyed her first family outing.

They were surrounded by a posse of minders, but Mercy — wearing a blue dress — was seen laughing and smiling as she joined her new family.

Madonna spent over an hour in Malawi’s High Court on Monday, when she told Judge Esme Chombo she would be “a deeply loving mother” to Mercy, whose Malawian name is Chifundo.

In adoption papers seen by The Sun, Madonna says: “To deny Chifundo the opportunity to be adopted by me could expose her to hardship and emotional trauma which is otherwise avoidable.”

The judge will give an official ruling on Friday — but Madonna, 50, has already been told that her application will succeed.

The pop queen is due to fly to Britain on Saturday — and has told staff at her London home to “prepare for the arrival of my new little girl”.

Madonna celebrated Monday’s successful meeting by throwing a dinner party at her luxury lodge.

A charity worker who attended the bash said Madge was drinking wine and hugging her staff — while her adopted son David held Mercy’s hand and ran around excitedly telling guests: “This is my new sister.”

The source said: “Madonna looked incredibly proud and happy, and David was so funny — he couldn’t leave Mercy alone and pulled her around all the guests.”

Eight-year-old brother Rocco — Madonna’s son with ex-hubby GUY RITCHIE — has also been helping to welcome Mercy into the family by playing with her in the gardens of the lodge.

A senior Malawian official yesterday confirmed that Madonna had been told Mercy was hers.

The official told The Sun: “This is all very confidential, and Judge Chombo must still make her ruling — but that ruling will be in favour of Madonna.

“Madonna is a very good mother and ambassador for Malawi. She has improved the lives of thousands of orphans.”

The approval comes after The Sun told how Madonna had recruited two of Malawi’s leading politicians to help secure her second adoption.

Madonna’s adoption of David from Malawi caused a storm, and some human rights groups accused her of using her vast wealth to “bulldoze” the authorities into agreeing to her requests.

The star has donated huge sums of money to help look after orphans in the African nation, where 14 per cent of adults are infected with HIV, the virus that causes Aids.

David, now three, yesterday met his biological dad Yohane Banda for the first time since he left for Madonna’s privileged showbiz world when he was adopted in 2006.

Farmer Yohane, 34 — immaculately dressed in blue suit and white shirt — wept with joy at the emotional reunion. He said: “I knew one day my dreams would be answered.”

Yohane, who had been forced to leave his baby son at an orphanage after the tot’s mum died, added: “At first I didn’t recognise him as he’s grown so much.

“David sat with me and spent time squeezing and playing with my nose.

“It was the proudest day of my life, to sit here again with my son. Now I want him to meet his half-brother and sister and show him the village in which we all live.”

Under the deal which allowed David’s adoption, Madonna has a duty to take him back “regularly” to Malawi so he can see his dad and keep in touch with his roots. And yesterday Madge apologised to other orphans at his former home — because David could not understand them.

At the moment David speaks only English, and was baffled when kids at the Home of Hope orphanage in Mchinji asked him “Muli cwanji?” — meaning “How are you?”

Madonna told orphanage staff she is employing a tutor to teach the whole family the basics of the local Chichewa language.

She added: “Next time I come here we won’t need a guy here to translate for us.”