Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

But I was never sure about the original adoption, that's when the public firmly turned against her, yet it's OK for womb raider Jolie.

Either way, I don't understand why a woman with 2 biological children of both sexes would feel the need to adopt. She could have built an orphanage and ensured his survival in some way. But in the end she did a much greater deed and David will have the best life ever.

LOL @ 'womb raider' ... but I shouldn't criticize either of them. At least they can care for the children, or afford helpful caregiving staff, unlike the mother of 14 dubbed Octomom. I don't want to cast stones, but that situation truly seems irresponsible, unlike Madonna.

I don't know if you are right about Madonna being able to leave David there and still ensure his survival. I thought his health was in a severe state and she intervened to take him out of the country. (I mean, I suppose you could argue that she didn't necessarily have to PERMANENTLY adopt him to positively affect his life, but I do think he just couldn't get the critical health care he needed had he stayed in the country. She was told by people who knew the situation that he would die if she did not help him. When you're faced with that choice, what do you do? She was capable of helping, so she did. And God bless her for it. I know there are complications with David's surviving family, and I'm not sure how to heal all of that. I'm not saying it was a perfect solution -- but I'm saying it was the best solution for David's survival at the time, and hopefully his well-being for the future. It seems Madonna is committed to Malawi and to helping David understand his roots and heritage there. Hopefully she will facilitate contact with his father in the future, too.)

what are u people talking about with those questions for "q cash" and what did russel brand say? i must have missed something.

In the last issue of Q that featured Madonna on the cover (for Hard Candy promotion), they had celebrities ask Madonna questions. The celebs did not interact with Madonna directly, they were delivered through a Q magazine interviewer. Michael Stipe, Elvis Costello, Shirley Bassey, and others all contributed. Madonna gave very direct answers and certainly didn't hide her feelings if she did not care for a particular question. But I didn't read any of it as rude. Sure, she could have been a little more gracious to the guy who asked how all the adoption criticism felt, but really -- it is sort of a ridiculous question. Like she's going to say, "It felt great. Thanks for bringing it up." There might have been a more specific question if there was something particular he wanted to know about that particular storm in Madonna's recent history.

And I don't see the issue about Shirley's question... she asked Madonna why she was so committed to being fit, and Madonna said that your voice is part of your body -- so you have to take care of your body. (It makes sense -- lung capacity, diaphragm, etc. I'm sure exercise has positive effects in those areas, and would, in turn, help your singing.) I don't know -- I didn't sense an attitude, necessarily. No more than some celebrities seemed to have when they asked. (To me, she seemed to get a little short with Michael Stipe -- because he had buried multiple questions in his one question, I think... if I recall correctly. But I thought he and M were good friends. I remember an interview with Michael from back in the late 90s -- maybe 1998 or 1999 -- where he was at Donatella Versace's place and he said Madonna was in the background. So hopefully he didn't take any of her comments personally.)

also....look up the word "orphan"

it means one of your parents have died...a double orphan mean both parents have died.

i love that her name is Mercy....that's awesome!

Guest Pud Whacker
INSANITY!!......If MADONNA want to help she should send a big check....not adopt another baby she wont see!!! I bet her kids are gonna have sooo many stories to tell when they get older. How will she have time for another child??? Especially since her focus has been on Jesus lately......I think she is going off the deep end personally. When this new baby is 10 years old she will be 60!!!!! The baby probably won't have any connection to her and have terrible emotional issues. I wish she could date someone who was at least 30! This is just going to further make her look like a nut in the media.

:scared:

INSANITY!!......If MADONNA want to help she should send a big check....not adopt another baby she wont see!!! I bet her kids are gonna have sooo many stories to tell when they get older. How will she have time for another child??? Especially since her focus has been on Jesus lately......I think she is going off the deep end personally. When this new baby is 10 years old she will be 60!!!!! The baby probably won't have any connection to her and have terrible emotional issues. I wish she could date someone who was at least 30! This is just going to further make her look like a nut in the media.

Do fuck off. And stop projecting.... that's a popular word around here, but I think it applies well in this situation.

Welp, the shitty media have already begun to bash her again. Google News has the headline already:

Madonna Baby-Shopping in Malawi this weekend

Not to mention how some of the other articles start out..."Madonna is set to pillage Malawi again..." etc.

I can't imagine trying to do something good that helps someone and then turn around and be damned for it.

There are many parents who work everyday. Im sure Madonna spend time with her kids like these days when she is doing very little, she not touring all the time. I dont think she is adopting only to help kids but also for herself. She has always said how she loves to have more kids and that she and Guy were trying but obviously she couldnt. Chris even mentioned that Madonna had two misscarriages, one of them was in 2003 when there were many reports that she was expecting. Also like someone else said here its good for David to have have brother or sister whom he can relate to. The kid wont have a father though, they all have different daddies.

Guest BytheBay
:wacko: here we go again.... ....why go through this DRAMA in MALAWA all over again????? this woman is addicted to controversy

Maybe she is trying to make a difference in a country/world desparately in need of some aid and doesn't live her life according to new reports and tabloid headlines.

Big up to her.

There are many parents who work everyday. Im sure Madonna spend time with her kids like these days when she is doing very little, she not touring all the time. I dont think she is adopting only to help kids but also for herself. She has always said how she loves to have more kids and that she and Guy were trying but obviously she couldnt. Chris even mentioned that Madonna had two misscarriages, one of them was in 2003 when there were many reports that she was expecting. Also like someone else said here its good for David to have have brother or sister whom he can relate to. The kid wont have a father though, they all have different daddies.

didn't know about that, at 2003 she already 45 years old :confused:

Do fuck off. And stop projecting.... that's a popular word around here, but I think it applies well in this situation.

please make me.......the reason the media has become increasingly harsh on Madonna is because she is slowly but surely going outside the line of what is normal human behaviour. If it wasn't evident before what money and power does to someone then it is now.......but maybe that isnt true with her as most people of this forum will say madonna "has always been a bitch and madonna has always been selfish". Maybe its just harder to accept now days because she is 50 and people thought she would have matured by now being a mother of 3 and all. She even said that sometimes she thinks she is a terrible mother. She doesn't want to retire anytime soon and she is always going going and doing doing. I'm not saying she should retire or sit at home all day but i think there must be a balance. If she spends 2 hours or more a day just on working out she imagine how time cosuming all of her other activities must be! ....and we all NOW madonna is constantly creating and doing.....not just sitting around. Don't you think its a little strange that lola was happy when madonna broke all those bones because it meant she would have to be home with her all day? Don't you think its strange how in her IGTTYAS lola was talking about wanting her mom and wanting to be with her more when she was on tour? Its not a secret guy ritchie wanted madonna to make more time for being at home and being a mom. Now she has a new 22 y/o b/f! All signs point to that she isn't spending enough time with her children.....in my opinion. Now she wants to adopt another......she is 50!!

Guest BytheBay
please make me.......the reason the media has become increasingly harsh on Madonna is because she is slowly but surely going outside the line of what is normal human behaviour. If it wasn't evident before what money and power does to someone then it is now.......but maybe that isnt true with her as most people of this forum will say madonna "has always been a bitch and madonna has always been selfish". Maybe its just harder to accept now days because she is 50 and people thought she would have matured by now being a mother of 3 and all. She even said that sometimes she thinks she is a terrible mother. She doesn't want to retire anytime soon and she is always going going and doing doing. I'm not saying she should retire or sit at home all day but i think there must be a balance. If she spends 2 hours or more a day just on working out she imagine how time cosuming all of her other activities must be! ....and we all NOW madonna is constantly creating and doing.....not just sitting around. Don't you think its a little strange that lola was happy when madonna broke all those bones because it meant she would have to be home with her all day? Don't you think its strange how in her IGTTYAS lola was talking about wanting her mom and wanting to be with her more when she was on tour? Its not a secret guy ritchie wanted madonna to make more time for being at home and being a mom. Now she has a new 22 y/o b/f! All signs point to that she isn't spending enough time with her children.....in my opinion. Now she wants to adopt another......she is 50!!

Don't you think it strange that you are basing all your "knowledge" on quick soundbites from interviews and tabloids instead of firsthand knowledge of what actually goes on behind closed doors?

You have no idea how much time she spends with her kids. She goes to the gym? So does 99% of the world who have kids too. Why should she retire at 50 just because she has kids? Most non celebrities work with kids well into their 60s and beyond. And how do you know Guy wanted Madonna to make more time at home? he told you? How does the age of Madonna's alleged boyfriend have anything to do with the quality of the time she spends with her children?

As someone who is also going through an adoption process with my partner, I have a bit more sympathy towards the situation this time around and I say good on her. There are so many children that need good homes, love and nurturing and if Madonna's in a position to do that than go for it. And as Strawberry Bounce touched on earlier, it will be good for David to have another sibling to identify with. This is part of the reason why adoption agencies in the UK don't encourage giving a white couple/single person a black or mixed raced child and try to recruit more black/mixed raced couples or singles to adopt.

Guest harbors
Even if she was not Madonna or famous, I don't think a single mother who is 50 years old should adopt a baby.

why?

Some details on Mercy:

"Officials have confirmed Madonna is adopting a 3-year-old girl, Mercy James, from Malawi.

"The adoption is going ahead," Malawi's Director of Child Welfare Services, Penstone Kilembe, tells Usmagazine.com. "It has been at an advanced stage for some time."

Mercy will be Madonna's fourth child, and second child from the African country. David Banda, 3, was adopted in 2006.

The girl is from the "Mchinji Home of Hope orphanage. She has no father and mother, they both died...We finished the assessment yesterday in readiness for the courts next week," an official at the ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters."

why?

First the age, 50, at that age no one knows what health issues will arise- the adoption people take that into huge consideration. I really do not think the average 50 yr old single mother would be granted adoption of a baby. Plus I think its not healthy to have a 68 year old mother when your 17 years old. Thats 6 years younger than Madonnas Dad right now and shes 50. Also there is no other parent, no one to balance things out or relate to.

Theres an article here about it

http://www.rainbowkids.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=66

In the US if your over 40 its very hard to adopt.

The other option in pursuing an infant adoption is to consider countries that are more flexible concerning the age of the adopting parents. For some years, couples up to age 43 have been able to adopt from Korea or India . Those over 43 will find some Latin American countries that take applicants. African countries are very flexible on ages of adopters. China wants applicants who must be 30 or older, while Russian and Bulgaria have been open to those in their late 40s, especially for preschool age children.

Don't you think it strange that you are basing all your "knowledge" on quick soundbites from interviews and tabloids instead of firsthand knowledge of what actually goes on behind closed doors?

You have no idea how much time she spends with her kids. She goes to the gym? So does 99% of the world who have kids too. Why should she retire at 50 just because she has kids? Most non celebrities work with kids well into their 60s and beyond. And how do you know Guy wanted Madonna to make more time at home? he told you? How does the age of Madonna's alleged boyfriend have anything to do with the quality of the time she spends with her children?

Please don't be an idiot......you can blindly follow whatever she does and never question her if you want to but not me! First of all I gave examples when SHE herself and her own daughter said things.....it wasn't made up from a tabloid!!!! Those were direct words from them! I already mentioned before that just because she is 50 doesn't mean she has to retire. Her bf's age actually does have some importance......it shows her judgment or lack of!!! A 50 year old with three kids should not be dating a 22 year old regardless of gender!!

Liz Smith on M's adoption:

“I love children, especially when they cry, for then somebody takes them away,” said Nancy Mitford, the famous British writer.

I was agog reading that Madonna’s divorce from Guy Ritchie and her subsequent “flings” with Alex Rodriguez and Jesus Luz have become impediments to her adopting a second impoverished child in Malawi.

The government there seems to frown on Madonna’s change of status and her “lifestyle.” She was wed to director Ritchie when her adoption of little David Banda happened.

Maybe Malawi should get over itself! Africa — rife with civil unrest, corruption, genocide, disease and the rape and mutilation of children — is having a problem with Madonna’s morals!?

From the outside looking in, I suppose Madonna’s recent love conquests seem a bit – lurid. That said, I have yet to see one paparazzi picture of Madonna in disarray, out of control or engaging in a “public display of affection” with her assumed lovers. What I’ve seen is Madonna bringing little David out of a kabbala service. Wicked woman! Burn her at the stake!

I say – let Madonna and other rich celebrities adopt as many poor children as they want. She is, for instance, pouring millions into Malawi. And if you’ve seen her documentary on that blighted spot, you know they need all the help they can get. Her motives? Madonna’s motives? I don’t really care if she — or anybody else who is doing “a good deed in a naughty world” — is sincere or not. Sincerity won’t buy food or medicine. So, in that spirit of healthy cynicism, let’s have even more phonies who are intent on helping the world! The rest of us can sit around, cluck, tsk, point and complain.

Guest harbors

Despite resistance, Madonna files adoption papers in Malawi for Mercy

The Material Mom is headed back to Malawi, where she hopes to adopt a daughter next week - despite government worries over her oft-salacious past.

Pop superstar Madonna was due Saturday in the poverty-stricken African nation, intent on expanding her single-mom family to include a 3-year-old local girl.

"We are expected to be in court on Monday to file for a possible adoption," her lawyer, Alan Chinula, said Thursday.

Madonna's morals are under scrutiny by Malawi officials - not the best news after two divorces, l'affaire A-Rod, her soft-core "Sex" book and the Britney liplock.

Under Malawi law, adoptions are typically off-limits to single or divorced parents. Madonna is both; her 12-year-old daughter, Lourdes, was born when the superstar singer was unmarried, and she split from British director Guy Ritchie last year.

The 50-year-old platinum-selling star still hopes to add 3-year-old Mercy to her growing brood. Last year, Madonna officially adopted another Malawian child: now 3-year-old David.

Madonna - recently linked to Brazilian boy toy model Jesus Luz, age 22 - is on a break from her "Sticky and Sweet" tour.

Her trip comes despite concerns among Malawi officials about Madonna's lifestyle - including her recent divorce and her reported liaison with Yankee slugger Alex Rodriguez.

Simon Chisale, Malawi's child welfare chief, told the Daily News this week that morality was an issue.

"We do not only look at the material issues, but also the moral standing of prospective adoptive parents, because we do not want our children's morals to be corrupted," he said.

Last week, in an interview with Malawi's best-known newspaper, Madonna said she would only adopt another child with "the support of the Malawian people and government."

Her embrace of David caused controversy because Malawi typically does not allow foreign adoptions. Madonna is already raising three kids: Lourdes, 8-year-old son Rocco and David.

Before David's adoption was finalized last May, a Malawi welfare official twice visited Madonna's British home and described her as the "perfect mum."

lmcshane@nydailynews.com

With News Wire Services

Guest harbors
Please don't be an idiot......you can blindly follow whatever she does and never question her if you want to but not me! First of all I gave examples when SHE herself and her own daughter said things.....it wasn't made up from a tabloid!!!! Those were direct words from them! I already mentioned before that just because she is 50 doesn't mean she has to retire. Her bf's age actually does have some importance......it shows her judgment or lack of!!! A 50 year old with three kids should not be dating a 22 year old regardless of gender!!

who are you to tell what a person should or should not do?

or maybe u SHOULD shut up?

Guest Pud Whacker
:wacko: here we go again.... ....why go through this DRAMA in MALAWA all over again????? this woman is addicted to controversy

maybe if you went to a place - just maybe, and saw OVER A MILLION ORPHANS in one section, youd want to adopt from there, too. she has major coins, more so than her father tony did and he raised 8.

Under Malawi law, adoptions are typically off-limits to single or divorced parents. Madonna is both; her 12-year-old daughter, Lourdes, was born when the superstar singer was unmarried, and she split from British director Guy Ritchie last year.

The 50-year-old platinum-selling star still hopes to add 3-year-old Mercy to her growing brood. Last year, Madonna officially adopted another Malawian child: now 3-year-old David.

Madonna - recently linked to Brazilian boy toy model Jesus Luz, age 22 - is on a break from her "Sticky and Sweet" tour.

Her trip comes despite concerns among Malawi officials about Madonna's lifestyle - including her recent divorce and her reported liaison with Yankee slugger Alex Rodriguez.

Simon Chisale, Malawi's child welfare chief, told the Daily News this week that morality was an issue.

Based on these facts (and thanks to those tabloids :rolleyes: ), chances of getting adoption granted is very slim for Madge.