Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

Madonna may adopt another child from Malawi

LILONGWE - U.S. pop star Madonna has said she may adopt another child from the poor southern African country of Malawi despite the controversy surrounding an earlier adoption.

Critics accused the government of skirting laws that ban non-residents from adopting children in Malawi, which has been badly hit by the AIDS epidemic, after Madonna took on David Banda.

"Many people -- especially our Malawian friends -- say that David should have a Malawian brother or sister," she said in response to emailed questions from Malawi's the Nation newspaper.

"It's something I have been considering, but would only do, if I had the support of the Malawian people and the Government."

A Malawian court approved the adoption of David last year.

Madonna has said the controversy had been difficult to deal with but she was happy to be involved in a case that might pave the way for more adoptions in Malawi. An estimated one million children in the country have been orphaned by AIDS.

Madonna, who began adoption proceedings in 2006, took David when he was 13-months-old after his father had placed him in an orphanage following the death of his wife.

David is growing up in the high-flying life of a leading popstar, worlds away from his village of Lipunga, where Banda's relatives eat staple food like maize meal from simple bowls and meals are cooked on open fires.

Madonna said she wanted to keep him connected to his homeland.

"It is a big priority for me to educate my son about the world, but always to stay connected to his Malawian culture," she said.

"He has a big map of Africa in his room with lots of arrows pointing to Malawi."

Madonna said her divorce from film director Guy Ritchie would not deprive their children of either parent.

"I believe in family. So, everything between us is very amicable ... we both agree that our children should always feel a deep connection with both their parents. It is our responsibility to give them that foundation," she said.

© Thomson Reuters 2009 All rights reserved

She wanted this for a real long time, so I really hope everything goes well.

In the interview she gave a few months ago to AP she said that she and the kids will be going to Malawi in the end of March.

^ She addressed it briefly in the interview she gave to the AP a few months ago:

"I'm sad about my personal life, but I feel very blessed and very lucky that I have the opportunity to do what I do in my professional life. It would be horrible if I was just thinking about getting a divorce and had nothing to do."

Guest Not4Pussies

she should adopt from a different country

somewhere where it is legal

but then again

didnt she adopt jesus this year?

I respect her so much for wanting to adopt again. I hope she can do it without any hassles like what happened the last time.

Madonna said she wanted to keep him connected to his homeland.

"It is a big priority for me to educate my son about the world, but always to stay connected to his Malawian culture," she said.

"He has a big map of Africa in his room with lots of arrows pointing to Malawi."

Madonna said her divorce from film director Guy Ritchie would not deprive their children of either parent.

"I believe in family. So, everything between us is very amicable ... we both agree that our children should always feel a deep connection with both their parents. It is our responsibility to give them that foundation," she said.

:thumbsup:

Good for her :thumbsup:

Unlike many other celebrities who talk about the need to help others,Madonna is truly doing her part.You won't see Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey doing something like this.They only care about themselves.

Madonna's fling with Jesus Luz and her rumored hookup with A-Rod may foil adoption plans

Madonna's lifestyle may get in the way of her plans to adopt another child from Africa.

Malawi's adoption officials say Madge's sizzling fling with 22-year-old Brazilian hunk Jesus Luz - and her rumored hookup with Yankee slugger Alex Rodriguez - may doom her desire to adopt 3-year-old Mercy James.

"Our official policy is that we do not encourage our children to be sent into broken homes," said a senior official from Malawi's Ministry of Women and Child Welfare Development, noting her split from hubby Guy Ritchie.

"[Madonna's] relationships may negatively affect the adoption of Mercy," the official said.

"The news she is linked to another woman's husband and a young man less than half her age makes us question her morals."

Officials are unhappy the 50-year-old Material Mom, who adopted toddler David Banda in Malawi in 2006, flaunted her relationship with Luz in a recent racy W Magazine spread.

Simon Chisale, Malawi's child welfare chief, said morality plays a big part in the adoption process.

"We do not only look at the material issues, but also the moral standing of prospective adoptive parents, because we do not want our children's morals to be corrupted," Chisale said.

Still, he said he doubted Madonna's social whirl would affect the outcome of her adoptive process.

"We do not apply the law retroactively," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/03/...and_her_ru.html

From the last part, I understand that her adoptive process of Mercy is rather complete, so hopefully she won't get too much shit.

So, if it's not affecing the process, then this article is pointless. Again, lame journalists trying to drag her name in the dirt.

It makes big headlines. If it's not the fact that she didn't live in Malawi for 18 months, then it's her men. Next time they'll make up another issue.

Guest chatty kathy

Well she just got rid of a nanny, but she really does need another child since she's so hands on herself.

B, so true. It's so lame of journalists trying to drag her down with dirt and sensationalism with this again when it's not even a fact she was seeing A Rod or Jesus romantically. How sad for Mercy too (who they aren't putting first) if Madonna can't adopt her because of their shanagans to sell their papers. They should be ashamed. :thumbsdown:

Guest harbors

Madonna is currently making her way to Malawi in an attempt to adopt a second child from the impoverished African country.

An official at the Malawi welfare department said today (March 26) that the 50-year-old pop star has filed adoption papers.

This news comes days after another official from Malawi’s Ministry of Women and Child Welfare Development said that Madonna’s risque lifestyle — in particular her recent history with men — could grealty impact her chances.

Madge will be in Malawi this weekend and a court could hear her adoption case as soon as Monday!!

http://www.fadedyouthblog.com/

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:wacko:

Unless she's adopting one of your family members it's not really your business and doesn't concern you at all, now does it?

Madonna to visit Malawi with adopted son

By Mabvuto Banda

LILONGWE (Reuters) - U.S. pop star Madonna, who has said she may adopt another child from Malawi, may visit the southern African country in the next few days, a government official said on Thursday.

Officials said Madonna will bring her Malawian son David, whose adoption was controversial. Critics accused the government of skirting laws that ban non-residents from adopting children in Malawi, which has been badly hit by an AIDS epidemic.

"We expect her over the weekend or earlier than that...but without a doubt she is coming before the end of this month," the official at the Ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters.

The local Nation newspaper this month quoted Madonna as saying that Malawian friends had told her David needed a brother or sister and that she would consider adopting another child, but only with the support of the Malawian people.

David is growing up in the high-flying life of a global popstar, worlds away from his village of Lipunga, where his relatives eat staple food like maize meal from simple bowls and meals are cooked on open fires.

Madonna is expected to visit a site where her charity, Raising Malawi, will start building a multi-million dollar school for girls, the officials said.

David's father, Yohane Banda, told Reuters that he may see his son next week.

"Someone from Raising Malawi visited me last week and told me that my son may be visiting me sometime next week. I am delighted, I want to see my son," he said.

Madonna, who began adoption proceedings in 2006, took David when he was 13-months-old after his father had placed him in an orphanage following the death of his wife.

She has said he was happy to be involved in a case that might pave the way for more adoptions in Malawi. An estimated one million children in the country have been orphaned by AIDS.

Rights groups tried to block David's adoption, saying it would be illegal.

Child rights activist John Soo Phiri said Madonna may find it more difficult to adopt another child as a single parent after her divorce from film director Guy Ritchie.

"She will have to prove that as a single parent she still has the abilities to raise another child alone," said child rights activist John Soo Phiri.

Guest Danny86

Unless she's adopting one of your family members it's not really your business and doesn't concern you at all, now does it?

Exactly. I also hope no comments like "she should be in the studio recording new music". Her last album is not even a year old and nobody should expect any work from Madonna till after the tour.

Guest harbors

very well said!

she's saving a child from aids and starvation for f..k's sake. stop being so selfish.

This was one of the headline stories on Sky News an hour ago, guess this adoption will be just as controversial x